Admission into DC Bar by Motion Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Pass302

New

Admission into DC Bar by Motion

Post by Pass302 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:05 am

Has anyone successfully going through the process of Admission into the DC bar by Motion, specifically through MBE score and MPRE score? I have some questions.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: Admission into DC Bar by Motion

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Yes. DOn't most people do this (or at least did, prior to DC becoming UBE)?

Ask your questions, mortal

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:45 pm

Pass302 wrote:Has anyone successfully going through the process of Admission into the DC bar by Motion, specifically through MBE score and MPRE score? I have some questions.
Going through the process now. Currently awaiting the NCBE character and fitness process to complete so that the process can keep going.

They even say online to expect the process to take months...

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:Yes. DOn't most people do this (or at least did, prior to DC becoming UBE)?

Ask your questions, mortal
Just trying to see how long it took some people and whether they mailed or email you once they completed the C&F. NCBE said that my C&F was completed 7/17.

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:33 am

ndbigdave wrote:
Pass302 wrote:Has anyone successfully going through the process of Admission into the DC bar by Motion, specifically through MBE score and MPRE score? I have some questions.
Going through the process now. Currently awaiting the NCBE character and fitness process to complete so that the process can keep going.

They even say online to expect the process to take months...
NCBE is very nice and can update you upon request on where you stand regarding your application. My C&F took about 7 months to complete, now I am just waiting on DC to look at the C&F.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LandEsquire

New

Post by LandEsquire » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:26 pm

I was just sworn in on Monday. I submitted my application in August 2016 and received my recommendation for admission in May 2017. It's definitely a waiting process.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:31 pm

LandEsquire wrote:I was just sworn in on Monday. I submitted my application in August 2016 and received my recommendation for admission in May 2017. It's definitely a waiting process.
Out of curiousity - how long did each step take?

You were just sworn in, so from starting in August of 2016 to being sworn-in August 2017 what were the steps? Was the recommendation for admission from the NCBE in May? Then you had to wait on the DC bar?

Just tryiing to figure out each step and get a beat on time tables.

Thanks

mimim8

New

Post by mimim8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 am

It took forever! I think I sent my materials in around late April 2013, it was absolute silence until late November. Swore in December 2013

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:01 pm

Am I understanding this correctly? Waiving into DC can take up to a year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mimim8

New

Post by mimim8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Damage Over Time wrote:Am I understanding this correctly? Waiving into DC can take up to a year?
That is correct.

LandEsquire

New

Post by LandEsquire » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
LandEsquire wrote:I was just sworn in on Monday. I submitted my application in August 2016 and received my recommendation for admission in May 2017. It's definitely a waiting process.

You were just sworn in, so from starting in August of 2016 to being sworn-in August 2017 what were the steps? Was the recommendation for admission from the NCBE in May? Then you had to wait on the DC bar?

Thanks
I submitted my entire application at the end of July/beginning of August 2016. At the end of August 2016, I received a letter requesting additional documents pertaining to a bartending job I had in college, in which the restaurant no longer exists. The Bar asked for a letter from someone who was not related to me to vouch for the reason I left that job. I submitted that letter right away and it was radio silence from there. I started calling the Bar in February of this year to ensure they had everything they needed from me. I always received mixed answers - either that they had everything or that there was an issue that I would have to wait to receive correspondence regarding. I never received any requests for additional information, but finally got a hold of someone in late May/early June 2017 who said that I was recommended for admission and that I should have received a letter to be sworn in in June (I never received it). It was too late by that time for me to fly to DC, so I had to wait until the swearing in this past Monday.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:53 pm

LandEsquire wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:

Thanks
I submitted my entire application at the end of July/beginning of August 2016. At the end of August 2016, I received a letter requesting additional documents pertaining to a bartending job I had in college, in which the restaurant no longer exists. The Bar asked for a letter from someone who was not related to me to vouch for the reason I left that job. I submitted that letter right away and it was radio silence from there. I started calling the Bar in February of this year to ensure they had everything they needed from me. I always received mixed answers - either that they had everything or that there was an issue that I would have to wait to receive correspondence regarding. I never received any requests for additional information, but finally got a hold of someone in late May/early June 2017 who said that I was recommended for admission and that I should have received a letter to be sworn in in June (I never received it). It was too late by that time for me to fly to DC, so I had to wait until the swearing in this past Monday.
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I should be in a similar position. I completed my application and sent it to NCBE in late June/early July. It went a few weeks until I got a letter in the mail seeking futher info (one was about a job from about 10+ years ago that is no longer around, the other was about 3 old credit accounts) I just sent the last of the info to them yesterday that was accepted. Online, the DC bar states to expect 3-5 months for the investigation to complete and then I know NCBE turns things over to the DC for "Certification Review" followed by "Certified pending swearing-in" and then finally being sworn in.

I was curious about the gap between the NCBE turning over their report and then the DC bar making a move.

Following being "certified" am I then given a specific date(s) that I am to be sworn in? I am already licsened in Michigan and once I received my infor from the state bar I could go to any circuit judge to do the swearing in - hypothetically the same day as receiving my infor from the bar. But I am learning that in many other jurisdictions they actually have specific days for swearing people in...

LandEsquire

New

Post by LandEsquire » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Yes, DC has specific swearing in dates. The letter that you get letting you know your recommendation for admission has been certified includes your swearing in date. It also gives you an alternate date; however, both dates require you to go in person to DC for their swearing in ceremony - no exceptions. Also, you will have to take a one day ethics course in person, also in DC. You have one year from the date of the swearing in to take it and it is offered the day after you are sworn in. I didn't take it yet, so I'll have to go back to do it before my one year is up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LandEsquire

New

Post by LandEsquire » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Yes, DC has specific swearing in dates. The letter that you get letting you know your recommendation for admission has been certified includes your swearing in date. It also gives you an alternate date; however, both dates require you to go in person to DC for their swearing in ceremony - no exceptions. Also, you will have to take a one day ethics course in person, also in DC. You have one year from the date of the swearing in to take it and it is offered the day after you are sworn in. I didn't take it yet, so I'll have to go back to do it before my one year is up.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:13 pm

LandEsquire wrote:Yes, DC has specific swearing in dates. The letter that you get letting you know your recommendation for admission has been certified includes your swearing in date. It also gives you an alternate date; however, both dates require you to go in person to DC for their swearing in ceremony - no exceptions. Also, you will have to take a one day ethics course in person, also in DC. You have one year from the date of the swearing in to take it and it is offered the day after you are sworn in. I didn't take it yet, so I'll have to go back to do it before my one year is up.
Very good information. I will have to make a couple day trip out of it - sucks that it takes so long, but I will sit and wait. I just renewed my lease anyway so not leaving any time super soon.

Thanks again much appreciated.

doctoroflaw91

Bronze

Post by doctoroflaw91 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:16 pm

I was just admitted to the D.C. bar, after submitting my completed application in the middle of December. I will say that timeline included a brief delay, because I accidentally had a two-week gap in my employment history on my application; I had to write a letter to NCBE explaining the gap before they would finish reviewing my application.

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:24 am

ndbigdave wrote:
LandEsquire wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:

Thanks
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I should be in a similar position. I completed my application and sent it to NCBE in late June/early July. It went a few weeks until I got a letter in the mail seeking futher info (one was about a job from about 10+ years ago that is no longer around, the other was about 3 old credit accounts) I just sent the last of the info to them yesterday that was accepted. Online, the DC bar states to expect 3-5 months for the investigation to complete and then I know NCBE turns things over to the DC for "Certification Review" followed by "Certified pending swearing-in" and then finally being sworn in.

I was curious about the gap between the NCBE turning over their report and then the DC bar making a move.

Following being "certified" am I then given a specific date(s) that I am to be sworn in? I am already licsened in Michigan and once I received my infor from the state bar I could go to any circuit judge to do the swearing in - hypothetically the same day as receiving my infor from the bar. But I am learning that in many other jurisdictions they actually have specific days for swearing people in...
Thanks everyone! I spoke with NCBE and they are done with their portion of the application, so just waiting on DC to review and finalize the application on their end. I guess we'd be sworn in with the July takers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:08 am

Moved up the food chain my status now says "Status: Receipt of Character and Fitness Summary Report" :lol:

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:57 am

Pass302 wrote:Moved up the food chain my status now says "Status: Receipt of Character and Fitness Summary Report" :lol:
That is great news for you. I am in the holding pattern right now. I am under the impression that they have everything they need from me so it is a matter of my NCBE C&F being complete and going to the DC bar.

Here is my question, what was the time table between the NCBE C&F being finalized and you hearing from the DC bar? For instance, lets say my file goes from the step 3 NCBE Background review to step 4 "Certification Review" how long should I expect to wait to hear something?

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:57 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
Pass302 wrote:Moved up the food chain my status now says "Status: Receipt of Character and Fitness Summary Report" :lol:
That is great news for you. I am in the holding pattern right now. I am under the impression that they have everything they need from me so it is a matter of my NCBE C&F being complete and going to the DC bar.

Here is my question, what was the time table between the NCBE C&F being finalized and you hearing from the DC bar? For instance, lets say my file goes from the step 3 NCBE Background review to step 4 "Certification Review" how long should I expect to wait to hear something?
So on July 17th, the NCBE told me they submitted their report to DC and today they changed my status.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Pass302 wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:

So on July 17th, the NCBE told me they submitted their report to DC and today they changed my status.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. So almost 2 months. Ouch. Nothing fast about this at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:03 am

i submitted an application in november 2016 and was just sworn in last month, for some insight into the length

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:44 am

jd20132013 wrote:i submitted an application in november 2016 and was just sworn in last month, for some insight into the length
Isnt it crazy that it takes longer for an already admitted attorney to get licensed in DC then a recent grad who simply takes the test? Granted, off the top of my head I dont know the "due date" for a July 2017 exam application and when the results will be posted - but Id assume it was some time in April/May and results by November so 6 or 7 months on the high end - yet it will easily take months longer for someone who has already been vetted by another state AND demonstrated the competency requirement. Shakes head.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:13 am

ndbigdave wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:i submitted an application in november 2016 and was just sworn in last month, for some insight into the length
Isnt it crazy that it takes longer for an already admitted attorney to get licensed in DC then a recent grad who simply takes the test? Granted, off the top of my head I dont know the "due date" for a July 2017 exam application and when the results will be posted - but Id assume it was some time in April/May and results by November so 6 or 7 months on the high end - yet it will easily take months longer for someone who has already been vetted by another state AND demonstrated the competency requirement. Shakes head.
The standard is pretty low for the DC bar though. At least this year they didn't lose like a quarter of their acceptance notifications in the mail!

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Do you have an idea how long it took from the status that they received the C&F Report to actually being Certified?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”