MBE Scaling in previous years Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
skatekate

New

MBE Scaling in previous years

Post by skatekate » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:12 pm

Would anyone be able to share their raw scores and scaled scores?

I found a bar calculator for CA online (https://one-timers.com/one-timers-bar-exam-calculator/) (my jurisdiction is CA too), but it says a raw score of 119/175 translates into a 144 scaled, which seems oddly high to me. I thought scaling could only increase your score by 10-15 points at most, depending on the year and the test. Then again, I remember Barbri's goals were to score around or above 65% on the MBE (which is 114/175) and you should be on track to pass, so maybe there is some truth to it?

anabasis

New

Re: MBE Scaling in previous years

Post by anabasis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Remember that the change to 25 non-scored questions have changed the math a bit, so prior rules of thumb may not be applicable now.

119/175 (*200) = 136. So a scaled score of 144 (out of 200) is quite within the range I would expect, if the "scaled score is a bit higher than raw score" conventional wisdom still holds.

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:55 pm

I think the boost could be conceivably pretty high, but 15+ per MBE + essays sounds about right.

From JoeSeperac's post in another thread re the boost in essay scores on the NY bar:

If you received a scaled score of 47.82 on a July 2016 MEE answer, this was an exactly passing score. This would have contributed 13.3 points to your total UBE score (which is 5% of 266). If you had exactly passing scores for all 6 MEE answers, this would have contributed 79.8 points to your total UBE score (which is 30% of 266). In theory, the most you could ever get in points on the MEE is 30% of 400, or 120 points (you would have to write 6 model answers). Interestingly, if you answered none of the 6 MEE essays, you would still receive about 35 points towards your total UBE score (meaning you could pass NY with a 170 MBE, above average MPTs and not a word written for the essays).

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:56 pm

skatekate wrote:Would anyone be able to share their raw scores and scaled scores?

I found a bar calculator for CA online (https://one-timers.com/one-timers-bar-exam-calculator/) (my jurisdiction is CA too), but it says a raw score of 119/175 translates into a 144 scaled, which seems oddly high to me. I thought scaling could only increase your score by 10-15 points at most, depending on the year and the test. Then again, I remember Barbri's goals were to score around or above 65% on the MBE (which is 114/175) and you should be on track to pass, so maybe there is some truth to it?
They don't release raw scores anymore, because it's a waste of time and they are meaningless in raw form. So no one can actually share those with you. Maybe people can share their raw scores on the OPEs/Barbri and their scaled MBE scores, and you can kind of guesstimate the scaling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”