MPRE Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Re: MPRE

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:43 pm

This really womps.

Triangle

New

Post by Triangle » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Neurotic question, but will there be signs at the test center directing you where to go? My admission ticket lists a campus but not a specific building, and as far as I know the campus has several buildings where the test might take place.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Triangle wrote:Neurotic question, but will there be signs at the test center directing you where to go? My admission ticket lists a campus but not a specific building, and as far as I know the campus has several buildings where the test might take place.
Just double checked and mine has a building and a room number. I'm sure there will be something.

Asroma

New

Post by Asroma » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:00 am

I found it pretty straightforward. Many questions were similar to Kaplan's. Those constitutional questions though :shock: Maybe experimental?

OnTheRise

New

Post by OnTheRise » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:47 am

Asroma wrote:I found it pretty straightforward. Many questions were similar to Kaplan's. Those constitutional questions though :shock: Maybe experimental?
Thought the same thing. What the heck was that?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:09 pm

what is an honorarium?

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:59 pm

OnTheRise wrote:
Asroma wrote:I found it pretty straightforward. Many questions were similar to Kaplan's. Those constitutional questions though :shock: Maybe experimental?
Thought the same thing. What the heck was that?

htownking1

New

Post by htownking1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:12 pm

That's what I'm hoping. I think I got what they wanted out of that question but I'm not sure. Overall felt ok walking out of it, but like most exams I generally feel it could have gone either way for me. Need an 85 for my jurisdiction.

sgd19

New

Post by sgd19 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:59 pm

htownking1 wrote:
That's what I'm hoping. I think I got what they wanted out of that question but I'm not sure. Overall felt ok walking out of it, but like most exams I generally feel it could have gone either way for me. Need an 85 for my jurisdiction.
these are my thoughts exactly. the mpre seemed very similar to the way the mbe questions are asked, although mpre questions require less effort. it's not like you're working through a civ pro question. but there were quite a few questions, more than i would have liked, where i narrowed down to two choices and it was hit or miss. some answer choices were very similarly worded. anyone else feel the same too?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oivey90

New

Post by oivey90 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:20 pm

Unfortunately we cant discuss today's exam, but I can say this:

I used the practice questions from the MPRE / NCBE website. I also used Bar Bri practice questions. I also listened to the entire Bar Bri video lecture. I went over the ethics rules several times (not just the outlines but the actual rules), and read the comments once. I also reviewed an Outline.

I did very well on practice tests: Worst I did in any 15 block was 9 out 15, but mostly 12 or 13 out of 15 was my typical result.

So I felt pretty good going in.

When I walked out: My reaction was "what the heck was that?" I honestly felt all the prep I did did not sufficiently prep me for the exam, which is extremely frustrating to me. I could just be overreacting, but I can honestly say I never felt like that with all my practice questions. Out of an abundance of caution, I will very likely just reserve a spot for November's exam (worse comes to worse I lose another $95). If the worst comes, the only thing I maybe do, frankly....is read the comments section even more, maybe even outline it. Very likely overkill, but seriously, I figured what I did this time was more than enough.

In any event, kudos to you who walked out of that confident or ok with it. I certainly did not. An overwhelming sinking feeling of "seriously? Its not like I didnt study for this" came over me. Just made me feel dumb :cry:

LuluCoco

New

Post by LuluCoco » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:36 pm

Does anyone know when the scores will be released?

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:28 pm

oivey90 wrote:Unfortunately we cant discuss today's exam, but I can say this:

I used the practice questions from the MPRE / NCBE website. I also used Bar Bri practice questions. I also listened to the entire Bar Bri video lecture. I went over the ethics rules several times (not just the outlines but the actual rules), and read the comments once. I also reviewed an Outline.

I did very well on practice tests: Worst I did in any 15 block was 9 out 15, but mostly 12 or 13 out of 15 was my typical result.

When I walked out: My reaction was "what the heck was that?" I honestly felt all the prep I did did not sufficiently prep me for the exam, which is extremely frustrating to me. I could just be overreacting, but I can honestly say I never felt like that with all my practice questions. Out of an abundance of caution, I will very likely just reserve a spot for November's exam (worse comes to worse I lose another $95). If the worst comes, the only thing I maybe do, frankly....is read the comments section even more, maybe even outline it. Very likely overkill, but seriously, I figured what I did this time was more than enough.

In any event, kudos to you who walked out of that confident or ok with it. I certainly did not. An overwhelming sinking feeling of "seriously? Its not like I didnt study for this" came over me. Just made me feel dumb :cry:
Dude, you're going to pass.

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:29 pm

jacketyellow wrote:

Dude, you're going to pass.
I left last November's MPRE feeling exactly this and I passed comfortably. You're almost certainly fine if you put in the work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

htownking1

New

Post by htownking1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:01 am

LuluCoco wrote:Does anyone know when the scores will be released?
I think in about a month

thesmiley

New

Post by thesmiley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:36 pm

To pack in a good amount of study in a short period, I ordered the Barbri book so I could sit the practice exams at the back in hard copy. For each, out of 60 questions, I scored 51, 50, 42 and 50 respectively, and reviewed wrong answers. I found the actual MPRE exam over the weekend to be noticeably easier than the Barbri exams (particularly the 3rd and 4th ones) and thus much quicker to complete, so I am hoping for a clear pass. In hindsight, I could have stopped after doing the first or maybe second practice exam, but I travelled all the way from London to sit the test, so couldn't risk not passing.

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Can someone remind me why it takes five weeks to put a bunch of one-page scantrons through a machine and deal with the mishaps that I'm sure happen during that process?

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Obviously because there are mobs of people demanding that their scores be hand graded to avoid technical errors

/s

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

htownking1

New

Post by htownking1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:38 am

EncyclopediaOrange wrote:Can someone remind me why it takes five weeks to put a bunch of one-page scantrons through a machine and deal with the mishaps that I'm sure happen during that process?
I believe the fact that the test is scaled also causes a considerable delay.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:40 am

EncyclopediaOrange wrote:Can someone remind me why it takes five weeks to put a bunch of one-page scantrons through a machine and deal with the mishaps that I'm sure happen during that process?
There are a number of things that contribute to the time it takes -

--Creating preliminary statistics about performance — including test questions' reliability, validity, etc.
--Ensuring that the questions performed as they were supposed to perform (e.g. a hard question was correctly answered by test takers whose overall score was high and incorrectly answered by the those whose overall score was low)
--Removing test questions from scoring that didn't perform as expected
--Editing the correct answer to some questions ("double-keying") if a bunch of skilled test takers split the baby on a particular question. This would perhaps take the most time, because they would have to consult with the MPRE content drafting committee, which would go back and forth with the psychometric folks, about whether the question was invalid, or if it had more than one right answer
--Documenting all of the steps above so that NCBE, when next audited, can demonstrate solid, psychometrically-sound processes that yield consistent scores
--Scaling and equating the test (i.e. creating the formula that will convert raw scores into scaled scores)
--Dealing with reports of irregularities form test centers — including reports of misconduct, external factors, and so on
--Preparing the score reports for the ~20,000 people that took the test — including sending them to the jurisdiction which the applicant requested
--Throwing in a few days of buffer time for good measure

Not to mention the MPRE is unique in that there are three institutional stakeholders who all need to communicate with each other: NCBE, the test creator; LSAC, the test administrator; and the various boards of law examiners for the various states, the end clients of sorts. There are so many moving parts that it's a whole lot more than "[putting] a bunch of one-page scantrons through a machine," which probably takes the least amount of time of all of the tasks above (I'm guessing 5 or 6 hours tops).

Also I think it's important to keep in mind that the MPRE isn't all that NCBE is doing right now. They are also dealing with the juggernaut that is the ~70,000 MBEs that everyone just took during the July bar exam (and doing all of the above steps and more for that concurrently with the MPRE processing).

For scores to come out any faster than they do right now, the MPRE would have to either cost a lot more than $95, or you'd have to be OK with a less sound test. Neither option sounds good to me.

Finally, NCBE takes no pleasure in delaying scores for no reason. You would only save some (probably pointless) stress from its being faster, but they'd actually save money. If there were a more efficient way to do things, they'd probably jump on it.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:29 am

Y'all need to chill or else come bar time you'll drive yourself nuts

JShades33

New

Post by JShades33 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:53 am

How's everybody feeling? I'm not sure how I felt walking out of the exam. Most of the people at my venue said they were taking the exam very lightly or did about 2-3 days self-study. I jumped in right after taking the bar and did about two weeks worth of studying. I used the Kaplan online program and book and the BarBri outline. On the Kaplan practice exams I scored 45,47,48,50 and I purchased the NCBE exam and scored a 50. I felt like the NCBE practice exam was a little easier but the questions were roughly the same format, BarBri practice questions were filled malpractice liability questions which only came up maybe once or twice on the actual exam and questions themselves didn't really line up with the Kaplan or the exam. From reading posts here on TPS people were not happy with BarBri Bar Prep but I don't know I used Kaplan and felt prepared for what came our way on the MBE, so I hope it did its job here too. Anyway, I need an 80 for my jurisdictions but I'm hoping get a passing for everywhere; so I'm good for NY in the near future. 3.5 more week can't come soon enough.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:29 am

Toubro wrote:
Lol I was mostly just being salty but thanks for the real response.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:41 pm

EncyclopediaOrange wrote:
Toubro wrote:
Lol I was mostly just being salty but thanks for the real response.
Sure thing

thelawyer1908

New

Post by thelawyer1908 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:46 pm

you will pass.

oivey90

New

Post by oivey90 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:34 am

Just wanted to thank everyone here for giving me hope with the feedback after I posted I felt my August test taking was a disaster. It did help while waiting for the score.

Needed an 86.

Got a 123.

Did a double take - but yep. 123.

I guess the studying and prep helped me through what I thought was an unclear maze after all.

:)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”