Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cats

New

Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Post by cats » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:20 am

checking in :(

dans1006

Bronze

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Post by dans1006 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:26 am

Let me ask you this...

Do you objectively think you failed because you think you didn't even know 60% of what was being tested OR is this a way of dealing with the anxiety of worrying about how bad you'll feel if you failed?

I ask because I'm struggling with this myself.

cats

New

Post by cats » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:33 am

dans1006 wrote:Let me ask you this...

Do you objectively think you failed because you think you didn't even know 60% of what was being tested OR is this a way of dealing with the anxiety of worrying about how bad you'll feel if you failed?

I have no way of knowing based on feelings. so I just assume I failed. if I didn't then happy birthday.
also literally don't know any law

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:39 am

Tag :lol: :cry:

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:21 am

cats wrote:

I have no way of knowing based on feelings. so I just assume I failed. if I didn't then happy birthday.
Did you even go to law school, troll?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:00 am

hockeyman969 wrote:
cats wrote:

I'm thinking, no. I responded to him before I saw that he was up in every thread, just trolling.

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:36 am

dans1006 wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:
cats wrote:

I'm thinking, no. I responded to him before I saw that he was up in every thread, just trolling.
Truth. Cats has been trolling hard. The account was created post bar and it's done nothing but join threads to troll and create new threads to troll.

On another note, fingers crossed that we all pass. For those of us that don't, misery loves company. To answer the original question, I'm not sure how I did, and this is a way to deal w anxiety about my score. Happy waiting to all!

rfkm170884

New

Post by rfkm170884 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:00 am

I feel like I failed but honestly I feel ok since I did my best. Though what would you do different, I want to buy some different course materials to avoid that familiarity. I used Kaplan and I felt they had such a MBE focus. For the MPRe I used pieper which I felt had great materials but easier to get lost using pieper. Anyone has recommendations as to what materials they found useful and where to get them from?

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:56 am

rfkm170884 wrote:I feel like I failed but honestly I feel ok since I did my best. Though what would you do different, I want to buy some different course materials to avoid that familiarity. I used Kaplan and I felt they had such a MBE focus. For the MPRe I used pieper which I felt had great materials but easier to get lost using pieper. Anyone has recommendations as to what materials they found useful and where to get them from?
Depending on your jurisdiction, there is usually an abundance of materials available on eBay. I used Kaplan too. If I failed, my plan is just to do Adaptibar. That is based on the assumption that, if I failed, it would only have been the MBE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rfkm170884

New

Post by rfkm170884 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:32 pm

dans1006 wrote:
rfkm170884 wrote:I feel like I failed but honestly I feel ok since I did my best. Though what would you do different, I want to buy some different course materials to avoid that familiarity. I used Kaplan and I felt they had such a MBE focus. For the MPRe I used pieper which I felt had great materials but easier to get lost using pieper. Anyone has recommendations as to what materials they found useful and where to get them from?
Depending on your jurisdiction, there is usually an abundance of materials available on eBay. I used Kaplan too. If I failed, my plan is just to do Adaptibar. That is based on the assumption that, if I failed, it would only have been the MBE.
Yeah I keep thinking it is better to get an early start since I know I bombed...my biggest mistake is that I did the Mid term and got about 89 and just felt defeated by the whole thing I could get out of the funk of 'the exam is in 3 weeks and I'm averaging less than 50%' and by then I realized I really neglected the MEE portion of the exam. I would recommend Kaplan for most people but I feel if you are unclear about something they don't always explain it in the best way possible. That's why I looking for different materials.

HoneyPot

New

Post by HoneyPot » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:08 pm

Checking in.

3rd attempt in this jx (5th overall - haven't passed anywhere yet), so statistically, likely to fail.

Bimmerfan

New

Post by Bimmerfan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:21 pm

HoneyPot wrote:Checking in.

3rd attempt in this jx (5th overall - haven't passed anywhere yet), so statistically, likely to fail.
HoneyPot - weren't you the one in PA who didn't pass by 5 pts or less each time, but you were averaging over 75% on practice MBEs? What did your score report for February end up looking like?

diogenes89

New

Post by diogenes89 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:21 am

I have a feeling that I came up short on the MBE.

I was doing very well in BARBRI. Would do okay on most subject sets, almost always above the specified target. Mixed subjects were even stronger somehow. Simulated MBE went really well, as did refresher sets.

Then came the real thing. FIrst half was fine. Felt as though I did better than the ~65% BARBRI tells you to shoot for. The second half? Yikes. Not sure what happened. Several questions that I had no idea what I was doing. I made educated guesses and then...some just straight up guesses. Moreover, the thing that left me so down was that I knew I made some pretty bad mistakes. Straight up moronic errors on easy questions that I knew I messed up the moment I closed the book. I'm one of those people that if I go back and review my work, I will talk myself into wrong answers. I know of about 6-8 that I got wrong from reviewing a reddit thread immediately thereafter.

The possibility is the essays can bring me through is there, but I'm not holding out hope. I think I did well on almost all of them, scoring at least a 'passing' score if not doing better than average on several. MPT? Not so sure. Still, there were no essays where I was left scratching my head. I may have included some extra "maybe toss this in, too...." material a time or two, but I knew how to tackle most of the questions and even spotted things my friends missed.

Regardless, I don't expect good news. I walked out feeling the same way I felt after I took the LSAT the first time...which I bombed before retaking and achieving a 13 point swing. Up until a few days ago, I was absolutely miserable. I've kind of moved on mentally, prepping myself for the wait until April for better news.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:02 am

Meep.

Fuck really ?

I'm done for

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:17 am

diogenes89 wrote:I have a feeling that I came up short on the MBE.

I was doing very well in BARBRI. Would do okay on most subject sets, almost always above the specified target. Mixed subjects were even stronger somehow. Simulated MBE went really well, as did refresher sets.

Then came the real thing. FIrst half was fine. Felt as though I did better than the ~65% BARBRI tells you to shoot for. The second half? Yikes. Not sure what happened. Several questions that I had no idea what I was doing. I made educated guesses and then...some just straight up guesses. Moreover, the thing that left me so down was that I knew I made some pretty bad mistakes. Straight up moronic errors on easy questions that I knew I messed up the moment I closed the book. I'm one of those people that if I go back and review my work, I will talk myself into wrong answers. I know of about 6-8 that I got wrong from reviewing a reddit thread immediately thereafter.

The possibility is the essays can bring me through is there, but I'm not holding out hope. I think I did well on almost all of them, scoring at least a 'passing' score if not doing better than average on several. MPT? Not so sure. Still, there were no essays where I was left scratching my head. I may have included some extra "maybe toss this in, too...." material a time or two, but I knew how to tackle most of the questions and even spotted things my friends missed.

Regardless, I don't expect good news. I walked out feeling the same way I felt after I took the LSAT the first time...which I bombed before retaking and achieving a 13 point swing. Up until a few days ago, I was absolutely miserable. I've kind of moved on mentally, prepping myself for the wait until April for better news.
You feel good about a full half of the MBE, and only know of a manageable number of incorrect answers on the second half. That doesn't necessarily read like fail to me. Keep your head up for now.

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:41 am

I'm in a similar boat, where I went to lunch feeling solid but then felt like the second half of the day was a completely different beast. Oddly enough, I felt the same way about the essays the day before, so part of me wonders if this was just a case of mental fatigue setting in during the second half of each day. I don't know. But either way, on both portions, my only hope is that I ran up the score enough in the first half to survive the second half.

I know there are multiple versions of the MBE, where the questions are the same but the sequence is different. I left wondering if maybe one sequence had 20 of the 25 "test" questions backloaded into the second session or something. I don't remember thinking "This is definitely not a real question" on any of the ones in the first half, but that happened to me several times during the afternoon session. My problem was, I think I read some of those long, convoluted questions that probably didn't count 2 or 3 times before settling on an answer. What I needed to do was pull the trigger and move on. I will need to be more disciplined if I'm back in February.

HoneyPot

New

Post by HoneyPot » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:23 am

Sprout wrote:

Meep.

Fuck really ?

I'm done for
Just because I failed doesn't mean you will. I know it's hard, but try to stay optimistic.

Bimmerfan wrote:

HoneyPot - weren't you the one in PA who didn't pass by 5 pts or less each time, but you were averaging over 75% on practice MBEs? What did your score report for February end up looking like?

Yup! That's me. Actually, I've failed by fewer than 5 points on every bar exam I've ever taken. Awesome, I know.
I don't remember the score details from February, but my MBE score is what killed me. Even after putting in the effort and doing tons of practice MBEs, and actually scoring decently on them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KWall

New

Post by KWall » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:21 pm

This is a funny thread. I took North Carolina and left the exam feeling that there is no way in hell I passed. I didn't know at least 40% of the essay questions. I just had to make shit up. I probably did average on the MBE. People that I know received their results from North Carolina today so mine will probably come tomorrow. At least The waiting will be over.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:14 pm

Pretty sure I failed as I really only knew about 10% of the MBE, and I ended up changing my strategy for some reason on the real thing.

Also didn't know two full MEE questions.

saywhat88

New

Post by saywhat88 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:59 pm

anyone else struggling with extreme pangs of anxiety thinking about the day the scores are released? i honestly feel like i have a mini panic attack thinking about what i'm going to say to friends and family about failing and getting over the embarrassment of it all. i didn't finish mpt, feel v mixed on mee and honestly was between two answer choices for 75% of the mbe questions.

i don't know how i'm going to find the energy to study for this again.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:30 pm

Anyone planning on starting to study soon? I'll be working and will only have 3 months after release. Doesn't seem like enough time with part-time study.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:54 am

saywhat88 wrote:anyone else struggling with extreme pangs of anxiety thinking about the day the scores are released? i honestly feel like i have a mini panic attack thinking about what i'm going to say to friends and family about failing and getting over the embarrassment of it all. i didn't finish mpt, feel v mixed on mee and honestly was between two answer choices for 75% of the mbe questions.

i don't know how i'm going to find the energy to study for this again.
I felt this way and had to condition myself to not think about it at all until the results were released. I was successful in a way (stopped "caring" to the point of not knowing the exact day/time the results would be released, and was surprised to find an e-mail containing the results), and reminding myself that I have no control over the situation definitely helped with the stress. Don't think about whether or not you failed and don't worry about mustering up energy to study again. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

jjg123

New

Post by jjg123 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:14 pm

I feel very similar about my performance especially re a handful of layup MBE questions I most certainly got wrong but shouldn't have missed.

Hopefully this doesn't break it for us and we both come out the other side having passed.

Anony1234

New

Post by Anony1234 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:36 pm

jjg123 wrote:

I feel very similar about my performance especially re a handful of layup MBE questions I most certainly got wrong but shouldn't have missed.

Hopefully this doesn't break it for us and we both come out the other side having passed.
If it helps at all - I would have described my experience very similarly except both sections of the MBE felt like toss ups. I missed one MBE question that was basically Civ Pro 101. I really feared that was a sign that I was making similar mistakes all over the MBE. Coincidentally, I also did poorly on the LSAT then brought up my score by 12 points. I passed NC and did well enough on the MBE to waive into DC (NC only tells you if you can waive into other states, but never tells you the actual score). If anything, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. If you have the essay subjects down, then taking a second time will be significantly easier assuming the worst-case scenario comes true.

jjg123

New

Post by jjg123 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Anony1234 wrote:
jjg123 wrote:

If it helps at all - I would have described my experience very similarly except both sections of the MBE felt like toss ups. I missed one MBE question that was basically Civ Pro 101. I really feared that was a sign that I was making similar mistakes all over the MBE. Coincidentally, I also did poorly on the LSAT then brought up my score by 12 points. I passed NC and did well enough on the MBE to waive into DC (NC only tells you if you can waive into other states, but never tells you the actual score). If anything, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. If you have the essay subjects down, then taking a second time will be significantly easier assuming the worst-case scenario comes true.
Ahh thank you for this post! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”