Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
CardozoLaw09

Gold

Re: Bar exam hangout thread for people who will probably fail.

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:38 pm

crumb cake wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:
crumb cake wrote:MBE mean is over 141, up from last year. :(
Yup, my score increased from last year to this year. If I go to a score transfer bar jurisdiction...I am taking my higher autopass score from this year.
Can you see your MBE somewhere before the state releases results?
lol no

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:37 pm

crumb cake wrote:
hockeyman969 wrote:
crumb cake wrote:MBE mean is over 141, up from last year. :(
Yup, my score increased from last year to this year. If I go to a score transfer bar jurisdiction...I am taking my higher autopass score from this year.
Can you see your MBE somewhere before the state releases results?
No unfortunately, I found my score cuz FL released on 9/18

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:57 am

The good news is it seems like some of the people who've posted in this thread have found out they passed!

Anonymous Bar

New

Post by Anonymous Bar » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:32 pm

For those still waiting on results, have you started studying for Feb? I'm certain I failed but still can't motivate myself to study.

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:06 pm

Anonymous Bar wrote:For those still waiting on results, have you started studying for Feb? I'm certain I failed but still can't motivate myself to study.
Reasonable minds could disagree on this, but I'm in the camp that you shouldn't start studying yet. You really do sort of want to jam all the studying into the 3 months proceeding the test because otherwise you have the things you studied first falling out of your memory as you get closer to the test. At least that is how I felt doing the extended study schedule.... Do whatever works for you though.

If I failed, I'm planning on diving back in in November.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HoneyPot

New

Post by HoneyPot » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:00 pm

We found out PA results are being released Friday after 1pm. The anticipation and anxiety is killing me.
Literally looking up alternative career options. Being a commercial real estate broker doesn't sound so bad, right? :\

sallysitwell

New

Post by sallysitwell » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:34 pm

Checking in. I took the MA bar and get my results tomorrow. The anxiety is overwhelming. Everyone keeps telling me I'll be fine and that I passed, but I suspect that I did not do well enough on the MBE to have passed...Less than 24 hours left of this hell.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:09 pm

sallysitwell wrote:Checking in. I took the MA bar and get my results tomorrow. The anxiety is overwhelming. Everyone keeps telling me I'll be fine and that I passed, but I suspect that I did not do well enough on the MBE to have passed...Less than 24 hours left of this hell.
hang tight. my firm keeps telling me I passed. they don't know shit. I either did or didn't. But there is nothing you can do now but distract yourself to the best of your ability. watch a show, make tea, drink alcohol, eat carbs, work out, whatever is your thing. rooting for you and all the July '17 bar waiters Remember regardless though, unless you work for a select few government places, you can probably retake if necessary. (I know, horrible to even think about) But it wont be the end of the world. Send out positive vibes and attitude that shit works. It really does. <3

rom10

New

Post by rom10 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Still waiting on NY results... I am certain I failed. No idea what to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous Bar

New

Post by Anonymous Bar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:23 pm

I passed! This is after bombing at least 2 MEE essays, failing to finish an MPT essay, and flat out guessing on 80% of MBE (maybe 10 questions I was confident about). I wallowed in self doubt and pity for two months with absolute certainty I failed. And somehow I passed. For those still waiting, despite how you might feel, don't give up hope!

HoneyPot

New

Post by HoneyPot » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Congrats to everyone that passed! You did it! :)

I failed for the third time. I think I'm done. On to searching for JD-preferred jobs.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:53 pm

Anonymous Bar wrote:I passed! This is after bombing at least 2 MEE essays, failing to finish an MPT essay, and flat out guessing on 80% of MBE (maybe 10 questions I was confident about). I wallowed in self doubt and pity for two months with absolute certainty I failed. And somehow I passed. For those still waiting, despite how you might feel, don't give up hope!
This gives me a lot of hope because you basically captured how I feel about my performance. I don't know that I totally bombed any essays, I just didn't feel particularly confident about 5 of the 6. I also failed to finish an MPT essay. One section of the MBE I felt pretty confident about, but the other was a time-scramble and I felt like I was guessing a lot.

I kind of fluctuate between worrying that I'm going to fail and being comforted by the statistical probability that I will pass based on my school's high pass rate, my strong grades in all of the bar classes that I took in law school, and historically strong bullshitting and writing skills. I think I'm mostly insecure about it because of my preparation. I finished only 30% of the Barbri course. Watched all the lecture videos, did a few sets of practice questions in each area, did the simulated MBE (was barely passing), did the MPT workshop, and practiced one or two essays in each MEE subject area. That's a lot of preparation, but there is so much content I did not master; so much practice material I left completely untouched. I could never make myself read those boring outlines. I didn't really debrief questions that I answered incorrectly.

I think I feel in my heart like I probably passed...but I'm dreading having to prepare again and retake the test and do this wait again. I think mostly I'm just stressed because we don't have a precise date when the results are due out. Looks like probably mid to late October based on historic release dates, but knowing it could be like a week or two...or it could be 4-6 weeks...makes it hard to compartmentalize/calibrate my expectations.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:45 am

I hope this helps someone’s post-bar nerves in the future.

As my earlier posts show, I felt the same way as the poster above. I made up laws in 2 of the 6 essays, and some of my answers to questions were 2-3 sentences. I didn’t finish the second MPT. And the MBE felt horrible — I was certain of about 10% of my answers, and the rest of it felt like I was guessing. I also tried to change my strategy and “outsmart” the question, going with non-obvious answers any time I could. In retrospect I thought this screwed me because it’s not how I practiced during prep. I walked out thinking I failed, and the feeling only got stronger during the waiting period.

But I passed. If you did the prep you have a good chance of passing. It’s really hard to gauge your own performance on this thing, so try not to sweat it during the waiting period. Good luck to everyone still waiting.
Last edited by crumb cake on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

diogenes89

New

Post by diogenes89 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:59 am

Passed.

Try not to let your post-bar nerves get the best of you, I suppose.

punkalunk

New

Post by punkalunk » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 am

I took the NY Bar in July 2017 so I am still waiting. I have kind of a weird question that I am posting to you guys. i went to a solid law school and am now at a solid firm. i did barbri and was doing decently well (passing) on all PTs leading up to the exam. However during the exam I know I made silly mistakes, as a matter of fact I later could confirm around 5 - 7 MBE questions I KNOW I got wrong (this excludes the myriad questions I had to make an educated guess on). On the MEE/MPT I finished all my essays but STRUGGLED on about 3 MEEs. I am now freaking out that I failed--like chest pains, anxiety attacks, etc. Has this happened or is this happening to anybody? Maybe this is something I should see a shrink about (I'm being serious) it is actually affecting my relationships and I now feel genuine clinical depression--just thought I would share what's going through my head right now. I am going to post this to the other NY Bar thread. I just do not want to feel alone and have someone tell me this is normal--if it is abnormal than I surely failed...

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:55 am

crumb cake wrote:I hope this helps someone’s post-bar nerves in the future.

As my earlier posts show, I felt the same way as the poster above. I made up laws in 2 of the 6 essays, and some of my answers to questions were 2-3 sentences. I didn’t finish the second MPT. And the MBE felt horrible — I was certain of about 10% of my answers, and the rest of it felt like I was guessing. I also tried to change my strategy and “outsmart” the question, going with non-obvious answers any time I could. In retrospect I thought this screwed me because it’s not how I practiced during prep. I walked out thinking I failed, and the feeling only got stronger during the waiting period.

But I passed. If you did the prep you have a good chance of passing. It’s really hard to gauge your own performance on this thing, so try not to sweat it during the waiting period. Good luck to everyone still waiting.
Congrats! What state did you do again?

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:35 pm

punkalunk wrote:I took the NY Bar in July 2017 so I am still waiting. I have kind of a weird question that I am posting to you guys. i went to a solid law school and am now at a solid firm. i did barbri and was doing decently well (passing) on all PTs leading up to the exam. However during the exam I know I made silly mistakes, as a matter of fact I later could confirm around 5 - 7 MBE questions I KNOW I got wrong (this excludes the myriad questions I had to make an educated guess on). On the MEE/MPT I finished all my essays but STRUGGLED on about 3 MEEs. I am now freaking out that I failed--like chest pains, anxiety attacks, etc. Has this happened or is this happening to anybody? Maybe this is something I should see a shrink about (I'm being serious) it is actually affecting my relationships and I now feel genuine clinical depression--just thought I would share what's going through my head right now. I am going to post this to the other NY Bar thread. I just do not want to feel alone and have someone tell me this is normal--if it is abnormal than I surely failed...
You aren't alone. Most people I know are having a hard time, myself included. I just bury myself in work and fun things to forget, since there isn't anything else we can do about it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AZTaker

New

Post by AZTaker » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Any Arizona takers? The wait is killing me.

Also, is there a place where someone discussed the MEEs? I'm anxious to see if I missed any issues

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:05 pm

punkalunk wrote:I took the NY Bar in July 2017 so I am still waiting. I have kind of a weird question that I am posting to you guys. i went to a solid law school and am now at a solid firm. i did barbri and was doing decently well (passing) on all PTs leading up to the exam. However during the exam I know I made silly mistakes, as a matter of fact I later could confirm around 5 - 7 MBE questions I KNOW I got wrong (this excludes the myriad questions I had to make an educated guess on). On the MEE/MPT I finished all my essays but STRUGGLED on about 3 MEEs. I am now freaking out that I failed--like chest pains, anxiety attacks, etc. Has this happened or is this happening to anybody? Maybe this is something I should see a shrink about (I'm being serious) it is actually affecting my relationships and I now feel genuine clinical depression--just thought I would share what's going through my head right now. I am going to post this to the other NY Bar thread. I just do not want to feel alone and have someone tell me this is normal--if it is abnormal than I surely failed...
It's normal. Seeing a therapist probably wouldn't hurt though.
AZTaker wrote: Also, is there a place where someone discussed the MEEs? I'm anxious to see if I missed any issues
Reading about that kind of stuff will only make you more anxious.

randomaccess

New

Post by randomaccess » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Long time lurker here and I want to give some perspective to folks who, like me, were SURE they failed. I just found out I passed my state Friday and honestly have no idea how that's even possible. I didn't know the second half of the secured transactions essay, didn't answer the second half of the wills question even remotely accurately, word vomited the second MPT and felt like I was blindly guessing on most of the morning MBE. Not one day passed from the end of July to yesterday where I woke up and felt like "Yeah, hey, I probably passed." I talked to my firm's HR to get their official policy on failing the bar even. I had nightmares pretty often. I felt like a massive impostor at my firm, trying to figure out how to navigate office small talk of "yeah, I was the only one in my class who failed the bar." All for nothing--My name was on that pass list yesterday. I'm still waiting for my exact score breakdown in the mail, but remember: there is enough of a margin of error on this test. I know most states have come out already, but hope this helps anyone who's convinced they failed and feels miserable waiting for results.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:20 pm

randomaccess wrote:Long time lurker here and I want to give some perspective to folks who, like me, were SURE they failed. I just found out I passed my state Friday and honestly have no idea how that's even possible. I didn't know the second half of the secured transactions essay, didn't answer the second half of the wills question even remotely accurately, word vomited the second MPT and felt like I was blindly guessing on most of the morning MBE. Not one day passed from the end of July to yesterday where I woke up and felt like "Yeah, hey, I probably passed." I talked to my firm's HR to get their official policy on failing the bar even. I had nightmares pretty often. I felt like a massive impostor at my firm, trying to figure out how to navigate office small talk of "yeah, I was the only one in my class who failed the bar." All for nothing--My name was on that pass list yesterday. I'm still waiting for my exact score breakdown in the mail, but remember: there is enough of a margin of error on this test. I know most states have come out already, but hope this helps anyone who's convinced they failed and feels miserable waiting for results.
Thank you!!

Most days I feel like, pretty good from a statistical standpoint...then I just remember that 33% or so will fail lol, and that I do know smart people from top schools who have. And I dissuade myself.

Good news is I keep my job if I fail. But it will inconvenience people in my office/will prevent others from moving into cooler jobs if I can't fill their places.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Derekj032

New

Post by Derekj032 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:27 am

Still feel like I bombed the mbe, but I took a practice test 2 months post and got 80% right. I know I scored 80-90% percentile on essays, but I struggle with the feeling that I bombed the mbe. I guess ill know this week, the scotch stash us running low!

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:08 am

This weekend I dreamed that I failed the bar exam with an overall score of 187.5 on both sections.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

OUgrad14

New

Post by OUgrad14 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:56 pm

I don't know my score yet but I found out I passed today yet I felt defeated right after the bar. I really think taking a common sense approach to studying rather than getting caught up in the hype of Barbri led to a passing score. I followed the schedule and attended the lectures at first but I started going at my own pace and created my own schedule. I stuck to one subject and did everything related to it--essays and practice MC--rather than jumping around from one subject to the next like Barbri did. I wasn't retaining information that way.

Derekj032

New

Post by Derekj032 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Don't let your minds wander, you've probably passed. After many months of stressing over the feeling that I failed, I passed. The mbe was a complete blur. I only completed 126 mbe questions from Emanuels, and I passed. You probably did as well, keep your heads up. Worst come to worst, you can try again and learn from your mistakes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”