Regressing in final days of studying... Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MelaPela

New

Regressing in final days of studying...

Post by MelaPela » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:59 pm

Anyone else feel like their performance is regressing in these final days of studying? My previous problem sets were all around 70-75% but recently I started doing mixed set questions from the Emanuel Strategies & Tactics book and my performance has slipped and fallen down to the low 60%, sometimes down to 58%...

Not sure if I'm just burnt out or if I'm just not used to these questions but it's making me really nervous.

tacocohcevoli

New

Re: Regressing in final days of studying...

Post by tacocohcevoli » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Probably burn-out. Go watch a movie or two, then try again.

Also try not to overthink the answers. At this point you probably memorized so many rules that the exceptions may be tripping you up on the easier questions. Taking a break will hopefully help you reset.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:19 pm

If Emmanuel's Civ Pro questions are an indication, I'd bet that his other questions are extra hard. I'd do OPE-4, but the answers are right next to the questions.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:10 pm

take a full day off from MC. my MBE q's would drop 10-15% if I had several bad days in a row, and I tried to grind it out

Nothing like a stress cocktail of slipping scores and burnout to make you choose a wrong answer on a question where you knew the law

relax

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:20 pm

barkschool wrote:take a full day off from MC. my MBE q's would drop 10-15% if I had several bad days in a row, and I tried to grind it out

Nothing like a stress cocktail of slipping scores and burnout to make you choose a wrong answer on a question where you knew the law

relax
Definitely agree. Also, put things in perspective. I find the statistics made available for each question very informative - when I get a question wrong that has a 15% success rate (as an example) I am far less upset than if I get a question wrong that has a success rate 80% or higher.

I wish I could weed out the truely garbage questions to get a better beat on my success rate as I have stumbled upon quite a few that under both my state and national averages put the question under 25% correct (therefore people would have had a better chance by simply guessing on the question).

Numbers dont lie, dont let a small sample size of a day or two set you back. If you run a custom report for the last 2 weeks or last month you are more likely to get a fairer impression of where you stand than from looking at an accumulative average or one bad day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

villanovajew

New

Post by villanovajew » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:12 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:If Emmanuel's Civ Pro questions are an indication, I'd bet that his other questions are extra hard. I'd do OPE-4, but the answers are right next to the questions.
Emmanuel's Civ Pro questions are questions they made up. All of the other questions in that Strategies and Tactics book are legitimate NCBE questions. So therefore, no, his other questions are not extra hard because they are NCBE questions.

Yeah I agree about the OPE-4-- kind of stupid to do those.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:16 pm

villanovajew wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:If Emmanuel's Civ Pro questions are an indication, I'd bet that his other questions are extra hard. I'd do OPE-4, but the answers are right next to the questions.
Emmanuel's Civ Pro questions are questions they made up. All of the other questions in that Strategies and Tactics book are legitimate NCBE questions. So therefore, no, his other questions are not extra hard because they are NCBE questions.

The OPE-4 is probably the most helpful at this point too.

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:36 pm

villanovajew wrote:

I do feel like for the practice exam he picked the harder questions on non-Civ Pro subjects, because in the subject-specific sets I was scoring near my average. Who knows though.

You guys are right. I'm chalking it up to 2 bad days and going to take time off of the MBE.

gatorade_potato

New

Post by gatorade_potato » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:12 pm

villanovajew wrote:

Is it just me or are the Emanuel civ pro questions BRUTAL? Not only are they super long, they test such fine details of subtopics (i.e. discovery) way beyond anything BarBri asks/expects. I guess it's for the best to be overprepared, but can't say it's very encouraging hitting 50–60% at best three days before the bar...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sgd19

New

Post by sgd19 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:13 am

it's scary to think of taking time off just before the exam because its so close and you want to be as throughly prepared as you can, but if you're regressing or making simple mistakes then go watch a movie or something with minimum input to give your mind a break. its burnout and you need to relax for a bit. also keep in mind that this is just an exam. it wont' be the end of the world because life will still continue. keeping reality in perspective can take some of the stress off the exam.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:41 pm

gatorade_potato wrote:
villanovajew wrote:

Is it just me or are the Emanuel civ pro questions BRUTAL? Not only are they super long, they test such fine details of subtopics (i.e. discovery) way beyond anything BarBri asks/expects. I guess it's for the best to be overprepared, but can't say it's very encouraging hitting 50–60% at best three days before the bar...
They are longer and tougher than the ones in the Kaplan/PMBR book. The outline is superb though.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:44 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:
gatorade_potato wrote:
villanovajew wrote:

They are longer and tougher than the ones in the Kaplan/PMBR book. The outline is superb though.
That outline is a savior. It took forever to get through, and I actually enjoy CivPro, but it is really well done.

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks for the great advice guys. I took 24 hours off, and just did 30 problems after giving my brain some rest.

Ended with a 75%. Feeling so much better.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”