Can someone explain this to me, please? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Jmari

New

Can someone explain this to me, please?

Post by Jmari » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Question:
A contracted with B to paint B's house for 5k with a 2,500 as down payment because the material is of a special kind. B later tells A that is going to pay 1000 now and promises to pay the rest in three days, but expects the work to be done on time. Next day, B finds out that the material only costs 1000 and refuses to pay more than the 1000. They both sue for breach of K.

State's published better answer reads:
Mutual mistake.

Is this really a mutual mistake issue?

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Re: Can someone explain this to me, please?

Post by ConfusedL1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Jmari wrote:Question:
A contracted with B to paint B's house for 5k with a 2,500 as down payment because the material is of a special kind. B later tells A that is going to pay 1000 now and promises to pay the rest in three days, but expects the work to be done on time. Next day, B finds out that the material only costs 1000 and refuses to pay more than the 1000. They both sue for breach of K.

Mutual mistake.

Yes, if they both really believed the material cost that much AND person A didn't have reason to know/did know that it didn't.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:59 pm

I really hope that question did not appear on an actual bar exam. It's horribly written.

Brian_Wildcat

New

Post by Brian_Wildcat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Mutual mistake.

As it is written the question doesn't even make sense. For mutual mistake to apply to would have to be a basic assumption upon which they both based the contract on. I am not getting that here.

Simply mistaking value does not render a contract unenforceable for mutual mistake of material fact.

Jmari

New

Post by Jmari » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:09 pm

rpupkin wrote:I really hope that question did not appear on an actual bar exam. It's horribly written.
This is straight from Ohio F2017 contract essay, which I sat for.
Last edited by Jmari on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jmari

New

Post by Jmari » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Brian_Wildcat wrote:

Mutual mistake.

As it is written the question doesn't even make sense. For mutual mistake to apply to would have to be a basic assumption upon which they both based the contract on. I am not getting that here.

Simply mistaking value does not render a contract unenforceable for mutual mistake of material fact.

Exactly! I don't see it. This was on the F2017 Ohio bar. The answer made no sense to me. You are more than welcome to look at the published essays. I was shocked when I read the answer.

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Jmari wrote:
Brian_Wildcat wrote:

Mutual mistake.

Exactly! I don't see it. This was on the F2017 Ohio bar. The answer made no sense to me. You are more than welcome to look at the published essays. I was shocked when I read the answer.
What? This isn't just a value issue; the value materially affects the work itself. My understanding is that mistakes of value normally don't count because they're isolated to the selling of an item (a portrait), not an integral part of a service contract.

Jmari

New

Post by Jmari » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:17 am

With the way the question is worded, I still would not have spotted the issue.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:38 am

Do they provide the other answer choices?

Jmari

New

Post by Jmari » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:43 pm

californiauser wrote:Do they provide the other answer choices?
No, they only provide one "better answer." which they believe is the better out of all of the answers. This was an essay on the exam, not an MBE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”