Help!!! Need new computer ASAP for the bar exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cassiebow

New

Help!!! Need new computer ASAP for the bar exam

Post by cassiebow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:49 am

Hey all! Computer suggestions for the bar exam please! Need to buy a new computer and need something reliable ASAP.

So I had an Apple Macbook purchased directly through the law school in 2014 (the suggested computer). It was a two core i5 2012 version. That computer crapped out on me multiple times during law school, due to an "unknown error" according to the tech staff who replaced a bunch of stuff in it without ever finding out what happened. It works but I don't trust it. It shut down several time unexpectedly during miduse.

So, then in November, I bought an HP Omen 17, a quad core for $849. Last night the computer was working fine while studying outside in the shade (but I've still been using it outside...). I shut the computer lid, brought it back in, opened it up and the screen was discolored, it looked like a loose image cable. Then, the screen went black. It wouldn't respond. Then I took a break and came back to the computer. Turned the computer off and on, and now it magically works again. So I have no idea what the cause was, overuse, heat, or a loose cable.

I'm giving out all of this info because I'm 2.5 weeks out from the bar exam and NEED to use something that is reliable. This problem is probably fixable, but I'm really concerned that it happened when it's hardly 6 months old and I don't transport it a lot either. I don't want to worry that a computer crash MIGHT happen during the bar exam.

I'm looking for suggestions to buy a new and reliable computer for the bar exam. What did you use? I'm a heavy laptop user using a computer 12+ hours a day. All input appreciated!!!

FormerChild

New

Re: Help!!! Need new computer ASAP for the bar exam

Post by FormerChild » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:30 am

I use a macbook pro and have had it for 4 years now. It's had it's issues but it works great for being so old. I'd obv recommend it, but they're expensive so idk if you're at liberty to buy one. Another option may be the macbook air, they're just as nice and relatively inexpensive for a computer and I believe you can get a 15% student discount or something.

A larger issue that I am unsure about is whether it is too late to bring a new computer into compliance with examsoft for the bar b/c the deadline to upload a mock exam already passed and if you buy a new computer you'll have to download it again and pay the $100 again. Hopefully someone else can touch on this more. Wish you all the best.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:48 am

I'd figure out if you are able to transfer your examsoft to a new computer. (My state, Illinois, you can do it for like $50). If you can't transfer it, you might be stuck handwriting.

Macbook Air has been solid for me. And would be a nice post-grad laptop -- super portable, good enough battery life, etc.

cassiebow

New

Post by cassiebow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:06 pm

How high end of an apple should I consider buying? Any difference for bar exam purposes?

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:43 pm

cassiebow wrote:How high end of an apple should I consider buying? Any difference for bar exam purposes?
Depends what your financial situation is, apple is pretty high end in and of itself so the only real differences among them are screen size, retina display, and other (useless) features. Double check with your bar though to see what limitations there are, b/c I know that NY February exam bar takers were not allowed to use the new MacBooks with the Touch Bar or w/e it's called. I'm not sure if this applies in July as well b/c I don't have it so haven't checked but it's worth looking if you do get a new mac.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:38 pm

I've owned both Macs and PCs and have found Macs generally to be more reliable. If you're using the laptop normally, it's unusual that it would crap out so quickly.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:32 pm

My computer has been really iffy lately but so far it hasn't shown any signs of failure during the summer so I'm just going to go in with it and hope for the best.

But back when I was considering my options I called ExamSoft (the software New York uses, idk about your jurisdiction), and they said that as long as I registered for the laptop program in time and submitted the Mock Exam in time, I could switch out the laptop I was using until pretty much a day before the MPT/MEE day for a $50 administrative fees.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”