Is it worth it to write out MPTs? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ConfusedL1

Bronze

Is it worth it to write out MPTs?

Post by ConfusedL1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:56 pm

I wrote out one for Barbri because they would grade it, but it seems like a waste of time to write out anything else.

Is the better call at this point to just make sure I know the types of MPT issues and have a set strategy for reviewing the material quickly?

cnk1220

Silver

Re: Is it worth it to write out MPTs?

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:00 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:I wrote out one for Barbri because they would grade it, but it seems like a waste of time to write out anything else.

Is the better call at this point to just make sure I know the types of MPT issues and have a set strategy for reviewing the material quickly?

Don't bother practicing to write them out as i'm sure you know it's closed universe and you can't factually prepare- just go over the different types of MPTs so you aren't surprised on the exam and know the proper format to use for the persuasive brief, objective memo, client and demand letters, etc.

You get points for proper formatting and having an intro (to/from/re/date) and heading (case name/court for example) if applicable, so make sure you know which intro/heading to use for which- this will save you time and prevent panic mode on the exam, good luck!

Elle.Woods

New

Post by Elle.Woods » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:41 am

Personally, I found it helpful to write out the MPT (3 so far) under timed conditions instead of just reviewing or outlining - if you have time. I've had time management issues on other tests before (law school and LSAT), and it helped me nail down a strategy of how to digest/write out the law and the facts with time to spare.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:27 pm

oh yes- do practice maybe 2 or 3 so you know how to organize the formats in your sleep.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:53 pm

I also found it helpful to write out the MPTs for timing purposes. IMO, not all MPTs asking for the same type document are the same. The materials could be longer or shorter and affects your timing, or asking for lengthier analyses (i.e analyzing 9 factors instead of 3); some topics are completely unfamiliar so much so that it takes longer to digest the info (even though it's close universe).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiredbuthappyitsover

New

Post by Tiredbuthappyitsover » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:58 pm

I'd say practice one or two, max, to make sure you can answer the question within your time constraints. But after that, just make sure you know to format and organize your answers for different things they might ask you to do (memo, brief, appeal, motion, etc.).

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Write a couple and then just look at the model answer for the different formats. I think this is the most important part: if you know how to organize it properly.

soonerfreak

New

Post by soonerfreak » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:25 pm

I've only written out three and I'm feeling pretty good. The first one kaplan had us write and the two from the practice MEE. I felt solid about all three so I'm gonna focus on other issues.

GoAble

New

Re: Is it worth it to write out MPTs / MEE

Post by GoAble » Wed May 16, 2018 7:22 pm

I attempted answer last 10 years MPT & MEE. Then compare them to the real answers. My tutor said I should at least able to pass the Bar exam. But, in the exam hall, I didn't bad in MPT, although I think I did ok with MEE. So... I fail.
I am just so tired of keep trying, I want to give up. But, I feel I have not accomplish anything in life. I am very very sad and lost.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hanner22

New

Post by hanner22 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:04 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:I wrote out one for Barbri because they would grade it, but it seems like a waste of time to write out anything else.

Yes, for timing purposes it’s helpful. I only did two or three though.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Thu May 17, 2018 1:39 pm

Depends. You need to find a system that works. I had experience with extensive memo writing at work and didn't need to write out any MPTs. ymmv.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Thu May 17, 2018 2:09 pm

Depends on how you learn. I got more out of outlining PTs than actually writing them out, so I did exclusively that. However, after the Bar exam, I felt like I should have written out at least 2 PTs to solve some timing issues I had on the barzam, so would recommend doing at least 1 more full one (preferably close to the date of the exam)

unitball

New

Post by unitball » Mon May 21, 2018 9:35 am

I definitely needed to write them out because one of my biggest problems was time management. Merely outlining essays and PT's only helped me organize my thoughts but didn't actually help me get better at getting everything down on the page within the time limits.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:05 pm

unitball wrote:I definitely needed to write them out because one of my biggest problems was time management. Merely outlining essays and PT's only helped me organize my thoughts but didn't actually help me get better at getting everything down on the page within the time limits.
Agreed. I maybe only wrote out a quarter of the MPTs that were assigned to me, or less. But definitely write out a solid few to get a feel for timing, practicing headings, tone, synthesizing all the material quickly, and just gaining some comfort/confidence with your own personal approach (ie do you read the facts first or the law, etc). You don't want to get an MPT on test day and realize you're not comfortable with it. And doing well on the MPTs is a great way to increase your score and overcome a weaker MBE. So if you can put in that bit of work then you'll be good. Worked for me!

Smiddywesson

Bronze

Post by Smiddywesson » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:33 pm

I read the Gallaher book, developed my own approach, and then had to cut that approach to the bone because there's just no time to complete an MPT. I also did three MPTs in preparation for the bar. Along the way I learned some very important stuff that I can pass along.

The MPT is not like the essays. In the essays, they are grading maybe five different things. I liken it to juggling five balls. If you drop a ball and, for example, forget a rule, you can just make up something and just do a better job in the remaining four and wind up with just as good a score as you would have if you remembered the rule. Forget a rule? No problem, weave twice as many facts into your argument using whatever substitute for the rule you used. Write more clearly and logically. You get the picture, the grading is very subjective and fluid.

Not so for the MPT. The MPT is an odd duck. Nobody knows what it is supposed to be and the final product we examinees produce is typically pretty bad. The graders just want to see you checked the box, so check the box or lose those points...forever. You are NOT going to do a better job weaving the facts and law and have the grader forget you used the wrong form. Not going to happen. You also don't have the time to be an overachiever. You want one citation for each case you use, not multiple citations. Check the box. With that said, here's the list from memory (review the instructions and grade sheet):

- Use the right form
- Discuss the assignment in the right voice, objective/persuasive/deferential for the court/forceful for a demand letter
- Follow the instructions: Do not include anything they said to leave out, and remember to include what they wanted.
- Ethics: If you use a grid system, leave a row for ethics and seek out the ethical issue, check the box.
- Sort relevant from irrelevant and TELL THEM SO: "Inasmuch as our client's case depends upon the definition of "helpless," we would normally turn to Webster's dictionary for enlightenment (they gave us this citation in the library). However, the statute itself provides the more relevant definition......" Get it? MAKE them give you points for weeding out Websters. TELL them one of the statutes is merely persuasive, or it's overturned. It's frigging 3 am and they just want to finish grading this stack of MPTs, hit them over the head.

You get the picture. List out the elements and cover them. The MEE wants you to paint pictures, the MPT is looking for you to paint by the numbers. I'm telling you the basics. ANY SYSTEM THAT DOESN'T BEGIN WITH THE BASICS IS A FLAWED SYSTEM.

ReasonablePersonSSC

New

Post by ReasonablePersonSSC » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:48 pm

There is value in writing out a couple just to experience how confused your writing can become, and to figure out your own method of making sense of the PT process. But what I think was vital to my success in passing was studying the Point Sheets that come with the free download PTs from the NCBE. They are a window into the minds of the writers of PTs. I read all of them and after several the lightbulbs started to go off and I was able to discern how to figure out how to handle the PTs.

Don’t study for the bar exam, PRACTICE for the bar exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”