Issue I am having with "loans" Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Cavalier-336

New

Issue I am having with "loans"

Post by Cavalier-336 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:43 pm

If A loaned B $1,000 without interest, would you consider this a legal contract?

Or does it lack consideration?

I believe it lacks consideration. If A were to have received interest on the loan, then I could see it, but not here.

Certainly A could use an unjust enrichment theory or promissory estoppel theory.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Paul Revere

New

Re: Issue I am having with "loans"

Post by Paul Revere » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:41 pm

Cavalier-336 wrote:If A loaned B $1,000 without interest, would you consider this a legal contract?

I believe it lacks consideration. If A were to have received interest on the loan, then I could see it, but not here.

Certainly A could use an unjust enrichment theory or promissory estoppel theory.

I assume by "loan" you mean that B promises to repay the $1,000 at a later date. That promise to perform is the consideration A receives in exchange for $1,000. As long as the contract isn't unconscionable or void/voidable for some other reason, the law doesn't care about the "adequacy of consideration." Or maybe I'm misunderstanding and you're asking for an explanation as to why the adequacy of consideration isn't important...?

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Cavalier-336 wrote:If A loaned B $1,000 without interest, would you consider this a legal contract?

Did you go to law school?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:01 pm

Save this argument for when you start practicing:

You made need it for a brief or a motion at some point in your career.

However, that will be a wrong answer choice on the bar exam.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bass

New

Post by Bass » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:32 pm

There is also the concept of carrying cost - holding onto the assets of another person is a valuable service 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 pm

Bass wrote:

There is also the concept of carrying cost - holding onto the assets of another person is a valuable service 8)
there is a man who could solve this with one punch

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:43 pm

TEIAM wrote:

Did you go to law school?
My thought exactly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”