California Bar Moral Character Application

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
estefanchanning

Bronze
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby estefanchanning » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:15 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:Ugh. I just did a search and found a social media comment that I regret making. No swearing or racial slurs. Just some serious caps and calling someone else a liar and a racist for calling me a liar and a racist. I know the bar saw it. It's two-years old. There's nothing else. The reason I'm asking is I heard from someone who attended the informal conference where they were confronted with a printout of pretty ugly tweets and posts. It took them by surprise, and they immediately denied making them. The meeting didn't go well, and this person doesn't expect to be admitted. If you're worried about something you posted, do a search and see what you find before submitting the C&F app. I should've done it.


Why don't you have your social media account on private?

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby InterAlia1961 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
Why don't you have your social media account on private?


I do. A very political (former) Facebook friend cut part of the conversation and pasted it as a photo on someone else's timeline. Like I said. It's not horrible. I just regret being drawn in to a stupid argument by a political type. It's the only problem, and it's really not a problem. But others might want to do a search. I'm at the nine-month mark. Still nothing. The person who contacted me had his informal conference at 8 mos.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:27 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:08 am

When's the last time you called the bar for a status update?

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby InterAlia1961 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:42 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:When's the last time you called the bar for a status update?


A month ago. No response. I'm going to contact them by mail if I haven't heard anything by the end of the month. I'd just like to know where I am in the process.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby Bla Bla Bla Blah » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:29 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
Why don't you have your social media account on private?


I do. A very political (former) Facebook friend cut part of the conversation and pasted it as a photo on someone else's timeline. Like I said. It's not horrible. I just regret being drawn in to a stupid argument by a political type. It's the only problem, and it's really not a problem. But others might want to do a search. I'm at the nine-month mark. Still nothing. The person who contacted me had his informal conference at 8 mos.


Untag yourself from the post. Problem probably solved.

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby InterAlia1961 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:09 pm

Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:

Untag yourself from the post. Problem probably solved.


Already did. I'm sure they saw it. Got the dreaded "come to the informal conference" email this morning. Going the First week in November.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby Bla Bla Bla Blah » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:17 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:
Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:

Untag yourself from the post. Problem probably solved.


Already did. I'm sure they saw it. Got the dreaded "come to the informal conference" email this morning. Going the First week in November.


Good luck! Hoping it turns out well.

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby InterAlia1961 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Researching the CBX Informal Conference. I found this. It's a transcript of someone's conference back in 2004. I checked, and he was subsequently denied, based in part on his answers at the informal conference:

https://www.scribd.com/document/3215043 ... 04-LAP-Ocr

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:27 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:00 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:Researching the CBX Informal Conference. I found this. It's a transcript of someone's conference back in 2004. I checked, and he was subsequently denied, based in part on his answers at the informal conference:

https://www.scribd.com/document/3215043 ... 04-LAP-Ocr



That dude should not be practicing. Read this email he sent:

https://www.scribd.com/document/1549021 ... -to-Tuttle

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby InterAlia1961 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:44 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
That dude should not be practicing. Read this email he sent:

https://www.scribd.com/document/1549021 ... -to-Tuttle


Whoa! The guy's a loon. I looked through some of the rest of his uploads. He's a nut, but at least he gave us a peak into the process.

Underoath

Bronze
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby Underoath » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:22 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:
Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:

Untag yourself from the post. Problem probably solved.


Already did. I'm sure they saw it. Got the dreaded "come to the informal conference" email this morning. Going the First week in November.


Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Tobelawyer

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:04 am

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby Tobelawyer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:12 am

It's true that social media can come up in an informal conference hearing. I know because I participated in one this past Summer during which the committee asked me questions regarding a particular social media post I made.

The informal conference is an uncomfortable experience. However, it's best to view it as the committee wants to admit you to the Bar and has some lingering concerns they want to discuss. Go in there with the attitude of laying their concerns to rest, knowing you are of good moral character. Their goal is to keep out the crooks.

If you want more details PM me. Oh yeah, and I made it thru and waiting on the Oath packet now.

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby InterAlia1961 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Just to let everyone know. I had to cancel the informal conference. Got an unexpected medical diagnosis yesterday. Scheduled surgery today. I can't catch a break.

Underoath

Bronze
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby Underoath » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:55 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:Just to let everyone know. I had to cancel the informal conference. Got an unexpected medical diagnosis yesterday. Scheduled surgery today. I can't catch a break.


That's terrible. When are you going to reschedule the informal conference?

InterAlia1961

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby InterAlia1961 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:08 am

Underoath wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:Just to let everyone know. I had to cancel the informal conference. Got an unexpected medical diagnosis yesterday. Scheduled surgery today. I can't catch a break.


That's terrible. When are you going to reschedule the informal conference?


They told me I could reschedule after the surgery. I thought I had a vitamin deficiency or something because I was so tired. I have a heart-valve problem. No history. None.

Underoath

Bronze
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby Underoath » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:
Underoath wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:Just to let everyone know. I had to cancel the informal conference. Got an unexpected medical diagnosis yesterday. Scheduled surgery today. I can't catch a break.


That's terrible. When are you going to reschedule the informal conference?


They told me I could reschedule after the surgery. I thought I had a vitamin deficiency or something because I was so tired. I have a heart-valve problem. No history. None.


Wow! That is so scary. Glad you’re having the surgery. Keep us updated. I just received the automated email that the initial processing is complete.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Postby Bla Bla Bla Blah » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:10 am

Underoath wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:
Underoath wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:Just to let everyone know. I had to cancel the informal conference. Got an unexpected medical diagnosis yesterday. Scheduled surgery today. I can't catch a break.


That's terrible. When are you going to reschedule the informal conference?


They told me I could reschedule after the surgery. I thought I had a vitamin deficiency or something because I was so tired. I have a heart-valve problem. No history. None.


Wow! That is so scary. Glad you’re having the surgery. Keep us updated. I just received the automated email that the initial processing is complete.


Congrats my friend! Means you're almost across the bureaucratic finish line!

Sorry about the surgery. Hope it goes well.



Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cocotruffles, EIWIsMyFetish, TheJuryMustDie and 29 guests