California Bar Moral Character Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Salsa

New

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by Salsa » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:23 pm

How did others find out who their analyst was and how to contact them?

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:48 am

BrainToast wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:
BrainToast wrote:
Well then I may be in trouble. Two convictions in my teens 15 years ago, petty theft and fake ID going to a bar. Both alcohol related. I was blacked out both times. Stopped drinking because of it. :(
You're only in trouble if you didn't disclose it and if you can't show you have rehabilitated yourself. If you haven't heard anything at all from the Bar in a year, then something is wrong. I know from experience that doing nothing and "hoping" for the best is the wrong tactic if you know there's a problem. Be proactive. Make sure to document that you quit drinking. You'll likely be admitted, but don't expect it to happen without you actively trying to make it happen.
I did disclose everything to them. I also retrieved all the police reports and court records and put it in a nice package for them to review. In my explanation, I told them about the drinking and was very remorseful and embarrassed, which is truly how I feel. I made no excuses.

Also, I submitted my application December 2017 and am currently "Under Review."

As far as rehabilitation, I have no incidents since, I have solid credit and great work history. All my employers and personal references are attorneys. I have a job offer too.

Do you think I should call and let them know that?
I submitted on Jan. 6. They sent me a letter asking for a credit report. I provided it. Then, I got an email on Feb. 12th that said my application was complete, and I could inquire about my admission status in 90 days:

This will confirm that the initial processing of the Application for Determination of Moral Character you filed with this office has been completed.

Generally, a minimum of 180 days is required to complete the processing of an application, although it could take longer if there are significant issues in your application that require additional investigation and review. During the course of the investigation, many sources and outside agencies are contacted for information. As a result, this office is not in a position to provide information on the status of the processing of your application until approximately 90 days have elapsed since the date you filed your complete application. If in the course of the investigation further information or documentation from you is required, you will be contacted. Written notification will be sent to you when the processing of your application has been completed or review by the Committee of Bar Examiners is required.

If you have any questions, please contact the Los Angeles Office of Admissions.

If you didn't get something like this, you might want to call. I'll be on the phone bright and early on day 91. Bet on it. Good luck. If you call, I'm sure everyone, even the lurkers, will appreciate it if you could give us a summary of what they told you.

BrainToast

New

Post by BrainToast » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:35 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:
BrainToast wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:
BrainToast wrote:
Well then I may be in trouble. Two convictions in my teens 15 years ago, petty theft and fake ID going to a bar. Both alcohol related. I was blacked out both times. Stopped drinking because of it. :(
You're only in trouble if you didn't disclose it and if you can't show you have rehabilitated yourself. If you haven't heard anything at all from the Bar in a year, then something is wrong. I know from experience that doing nothing and "hoping" for the best is the wrong tactic if you know there's a problem. Be proactive. Make sure to document that you quit drinking. You'll likely be admitted, but don't expect it to happen without you actively trying to make it happen.
I did disclose everything to them. I also retrieved all the police reports and court records and put it in a nice package for them to review. In my explanation, I told them about the drinking and was very remorseful and embarrassed, which is truly how I feel. I made no excuses.

Also, I submitted my application December 2017 and am currently "Under Review."

As far as rehabilitation, I have no incidents since, I have solid credit and great work history. All my employers and personal references are attorneys. I have a job offer too.

Do you think I should call and let them know that?
I submitted on Jan. 6. They sent me a letter asking for a credit report. I provided it. Then, I got an email on Feb. 12th that said my application was complete, and I could inquire about my admission status in 90 days:

This will confirm that the initial processing of the Application for Determination of Moral Character you filed with this office has been completed.

Generally, a minimum of 180 days is required to complete the processing of an application, although it could take longer if there are significant issues in your application that require additional investigation and review. During the course of the investigation, many sources and outside agencies are contacted for information. As a result, this office is not in a position to provide information on the status of the processing of your application until approximately 90 days have elapsed since the date you filed your complete application. If in the course of the investigation further information or documentation from you is required, you will be contacted. Written notification will be sent to you when the processing of your application has been completed or review by the Committee of Bar Examiners is required.

If you have any questions, please contact the Los Angeles Office of Admissions.

If you didn't get something like this, you might want to call. I'll be on the phone bright and early on day 91. Bet on it. Good luck. If you call, I'm sure everyone, even the lurkers, will appreciate it if you could give us a summary of what they told you.
Sure. I recieved the same notice in March. They did not request any further information. My current employer received a questionnaire. I know at least two personal references were not contacted yet. Unsure about the rest.

It stinks since I have an offer and was told to get sworn in immediately if I pass. I’m not sure what to say if I pass the bar and moral character application lags or gets rejected. :roll:

If I fail it is easier. That is less embarrassing.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:21 pm

BrainToast wrote:
Sure. I recieved the same notice in March. They did not request any further information. My current employer received a questionnaire. I know at least two personal references were not contacted yet. Unsure about the rest.

It stinks since I have an offer and was told to get sworn in immediately if I pass. I’m not sure what to say if I pass the bar and moral character application lags or gets rejected. :roll:

If I fail it is easier. That is less embarrassing.
On day 91, call. Make sure that everything is correct. They contacted everyone I listed. Everyone. Good luck, and if you feel comfortable, let us know how it's going. I'll do the same.

TLSAnon49

New

Post by TLSAnon49 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:00 pm

Don't be afraid to call. I submitted mine in December. I received the notification that my application was complete in March. I was told I could call after a set amount of time (maybe 120 days). Around day 90, I called the main admissions office and asked to speak to my analyst. I was connected to the analyst who told me that I was still in line for review and that I should call back in a month if I don't hear anything. 3 weeks later I called and was told that it could take up to 180 days. A week after that I got the approval. Lesson being it is ok to inquire within reason, but don't call weekly.

I was also able to deduce that there is some prioritization process. I don't have all details but can confirm that if you have already passed the bar exam, you will be given priority. Given the 6 month time frame, I would say that translates into 4 months rather than 6.

For reference I had to make a couple of disclosures such as getting a basic speeding ticket in a state where that is charged as a misdemeanor, no biggie as long as you disclose. There is also weird language in the online application where it says to disclose any ticket for not having a license. Not clear whether that means you had no license to drive in any state or you were licensed but did not have it on you. I disclosed out of caution and it created no problems.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Get-it-done

New

Post by Get-it-done » Thu May 03, 2018 11:35 am

Salsa wrote:How did others find out who their analyst was and how to contact them?
I just called the State Bar and said I have a couple questions about my bar admission packet or what not. They told me who my analyst was, gave me her phone number, and transferred me to her.

My moral character journey was a bit stranger. I submitted everything by the end of March 2017. I took the July 2017 exam. I was hoping I passed. I received notification in September that they had completed the preliminary review of my moral character. A month before the July results were released, I called and spoke with my analyst. I asked for the status of my app as I was hoping to get sworn in right away if I passed. I was told everything was fine, nothing else was needed,and that they were working with the exam release date in mind.

Then I get the news that I didn't pass the July exam. I took it again in February 2018. The following week, I received a letter from my analyst with a list of additional questions they had regarding my moral character. I submitted my responses on April 2nd and on April 18th I was cleared.

I'm hoping that receiving a quick response in April is a sign that I may have passed the Feb 2018 exam. :D

Get-it-done

New

Post by Get-it-done » Thu May 03, 2018 11:38 am

tilly wrote:I'm at 5 months and counting. I check online like every day and it just says "under review." So frustrating.

Anyone submit a 2017 Moral Character application who can shed some light on how long it took to approve the application, how long the application has been pending, etc.?
I submitted my application in March 2017 and cleared on April 18, 2018.

CDNKimberley

New

Post by CDNKimberley » Fri May 04, 2018 12:55 pm

They contacted my business partner, one personal reference and one reference from my self employment and that was it. I applied October 15th and received approval at the end of March. I received one phone call the day I was approved asking clarification of a former name. I was told that she could not tell me when I would hear if I was cleared. As it turns out she approved me later the same day. I am a foreign attorney with a lot of background so if they sorted through all that I can understand why it took the amount of time that it did.

cityb101

New

Post by cityb101 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Question for those with access to the CA Moral Character online app:

I'm trying to get a sense of what they'll ask (when the time comes for me), as I know a lot of law grads are overwhelmed by the C&F process when it finally rolls around. I can only see an old PDF version (I think from 2010) of the CA moral character app, but I bet things have changed. Thank you in advance for assuaging my neurotic law student fears, and good luck to all awaiting the verdict!!

Is the following still true: you only need to report employment that lasted over 6 months? And, from the looks of it, unlike other states, CA does not want to hear about every little volunteer gig you did? Instead, they seek info about things that would actually qualify as jobs (like real unpaid internships or paid positions)?

ps I ask because I did some very casual (1-2 hours a week) online volunteering in college...service that I put on my law school app under extracurriculars/service (stupidly maybe, though I did help some people!) but would never in a million years consider employment. These sites would have proof of my account, but there's no supervisor to attest to my character in any way, and I'm worried how this would look on the bar app. I was on these sites for over 6 months

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Salsa wrote:How did others find out who their analyst was and how to contact them?
Call the Bar, when you get to the live person, tell them you are calling to check on your admission status and would like to speak with your analyst. They'll tell you that person's name and transfer you right to them.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:46 pm

cityb101 wrote:Question for those with access to the CA Moral Character online app:

I'm trying to get a sense of what they'll ask (when the time comes for me), as I know a lot of law grads are overwhelmed by the C&F process when it finally rolls around. I can only see an old PDF version (I think from 2010) of the CA moral character app, but I bet things have changed. Thank you in advance for assuaging my neurotic law student fears, and good luck to all awaiting the verdict!!

Is the following still true: you only need to report employment that lasted over 6 months? And, from the looks of it, unlike other states, CA does not want to hear about every little volunteer gig you did? Instead, they seek info about things that would actually qualify as jobs (like real unpaid internships or paid positions)?

ps I ask because I did some very casual (1-2 hours a week) online volunteering in college...service that I put on my law school app under extracurriculars/service (stupidly maybe, though I did help some people!) but would never in a million years consider employment. These sites would have proof of my account, but there's no supervisor to attest to my character in any way, and I'm worried how this would look on the bar app. I was on these sites for over 6 months
Your employment history is not the same as your community service/volunteer history. They ask about any non-profit or charitable boards you've served on, but I don't recall having to report every second of volunteer work I did.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Talked to my analyst earlier in the week. My file has been assigned to an investigator. The assistant told me it could be another three months before I hear anything. Even so, I feel somewhat better knowing where I am in the process.

cityb101

New

Post by cityb101 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:58 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:
cityb101 wrote:Question for those with access to the CA Moral Character online app:

Your employment history is not the same as your community service/volunteer history. They ask about any non-profit or charitable boards you've served on, but I don't recall having to report every second of volunteer work I did.
Thanks for the reply--this is helpful!

Good luck with your application :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BrainToast

New

Post by BrainToast » Fri May 11, 2018 10:07 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:Talked to my analyst earlier in the week. My file has been assigned to an investigator. The assistant told me it could be another three months before I hear anything. Even so, I feel somewhat better knowing where I am in the process.
I also spoke to my analysyt and told her about my job offer.

She stated the same but she will expedite those who pass because she does not like holding up careers.

If i pass i’m calling back first thing monday morning.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Mon May 14, 2018 3:39 pm

BrainToast wrote: I also spoke to my analysyt and told her about my job offer.

She stated the same but she will expedite those who pass because she does not like holding up careers.

If i pass i’m calling back first thing monday morning.
Again, it's always better to call periodically. I'll call again in 90 days. Waiting for a year with no word like a prior poster is a mistake. As you pointed out, the analysts don't want to hold up careers. If you haven't heard anything for months, call.

Good luck on Friday.

MandyNC

New

Post by MandyNC » Thu May 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Hi all. I am also waiting nervously for Friday's bar results. I am an attorney licensed in another state so it's all down to the essays and performance test.

My situation re: moral character

I sent in my moral character application in late January. I did my fingerprinting in early February via live scan and separately mailed the live scan form to the bar. By mid-February I was hearing from old bosses and personal references that they had received their letters. I am "Under review" on the online admission status.

I called in late April to check and was told who my analyst was. A day later, so it had already been mailed, I got a letter from the analyst saying my application was incomplete because they did not have a properly executed livescan form. I promptly redid my fingerprints, mailed in the livescan form, and went "complete" technically on May 4.

So I could still be waiting six months even if I pass the bar. My analyst has said it can be quicker and was very nice but of course could not provide any specifics.

I am actively barred with no disciplinary issues in another state and my only slight wrinkle was being caught with alcohol freshman year of college 15 years ago. I never was arrested or charged with any crime or put on probation. I disclosed all the relevant info.

Can anyone give me a sense of how quick or long this might be if I do pass the bar? I spoke to my analyst in about two weeks ago. I did say I have an employment offer and said I was glad to promptly provide any further information that could possibly be needed. Should I call next week if Ipass, or is that too soon?

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:26 pm

MandyNC wrote:Hi all. I am also waiting nervously for Friday's bar results. I am an attorney licensed in another state so it's all down to the essays and performance test.

I sent in my moral character application in late January. I did my fingerprinting in early February via live scan and separately mailed the live scan form to the bar. By mid-February I was hearing from old bosses and personal references that they had received their letters. I am "Under review" on the online admission status.

I called in late April to check and was told who my analyst was. A day later, so it had already been mailed, I got a letter from the analyst saying my application was incomplete because they did not have a properly executed livescan form. I promptly redid my fingerprints, mailed in the livescan form, and went "complete" technically on May 4.

So I could still be waiting six months even if I pass the bar. My analyst has said it can be quicker and was very nice but of course could not provide any specifics.

I am actively barred with no disciplinary issues in another state and my only slight wrinkle was being caught with alcohol freshman year of college 15 years ago. I never was arrested or charged with any crime or put on probation. I disclosed all the relevant info.

Can anyone give me a sense of how quick or long this might be if I do pass the bar? I spoke to my analyst in about two weeks ago. I did say I have an employment offer and said I was glad to promptly provide any further information that could possibly be needed. Should I call next week if Ipass, or is that too soon?
If you call before 90 days after they said your application was complete, you won't get anywhere. Wait ninety days. Day 91, call bright and early.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YuckNotTheBar

New

Post by YuckNotTheBar » Fri May 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Still waiting on my confirmation. Everything was mailed in in January, and my references started getting their letters. 90 days later I got the automatic email stating my application was complete. I called and spoke to a "tier 2" analyst who said my application hadn't even been assigned to an "analyst" yet. I asked whether passing the Bar in Feb would put you on the top of the review stack. There was no clear answer. This is a very confusing process. :/

If I end up passing today, it will definitely suck to have this be the outstanding problem.

BrainToast

New

Post by BrainToast » Tue May 22, 2018 9:00 am

The irony of an organization that preaches minimum competancy but can’t process background checks in a timely manner.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 am

MandyNC wrote:Hi all. I am also waiting nervously for Friday's bar results. I am an attorney licensed in another state so it's all down to the essays and performance test.

FWIW I am also barred in another state, no red flags on my moral character app, completed in November, and I am still waiting. I called last week and I guess they are hoping to have a determination by this week but I am thinking based on that it will more likely be next week.

Mxmasterr

New

Post by Mxmasterr » Tue May 22, 2018 10:58 am

horriblegb wrote:

FWIW I am also barred in another state, no red flags on my moral character app, completed in November, and I am still waiting. I called last week and I guess they are hoping to have a determination by this week but I am thinking based on that it will more likely be next week.
Im in the same situation, I am licensed two other places, they received my C &f in early January, just passed the bar and am still waiting on the c&F. Just says under review.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:55 pm

BrainToast wrote:The irony of an organization that preaches minimum competancy but can’t process background checks in a timely manner.
Amen!

mercury17

New

Post by mercury17 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:48 pm

has anyone had an experience with extending the moral character? did all the references get contacted? how about the turnaround time in comparion to the original application?

BrainToast

New

Post by BrainToast » Wed May 23, 2018 5:18 pm

Passed the bar and each time I call to get status, my analyst gives me more stuff to do.
Is this on purpose or are they just sloppy?

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed May 23, 2018 7:51 pm

BrainToast wrote:Passed the bar and each time I call to get status, my analyst gives me more stuff to do.
Is this on purpose or are they just sloppy?

Did you get an automated email from the CA Bar stating that your file has completed initial review?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”