California Bar Moral Character Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
InterAlia1961

Bronze

Re: California Bar Moral Character Application

Post by InterAlia1961 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
Why don't you have your social media account on private?
I do. A very political (former) Facebook friend cut part of the conversation and pasted it as a photo on someone else's timeline. Like I said. It's not horrible. I just regret being drawn in to a stupid argument by a political type. It's the only problem, and it's really not a problem. But others might want to do a search. I'm at the nine-month mark. Still nothing. The person who contacted me had his informal conference at 8 mos.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:08 am

When's the last time you called the bar for a status update?

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:42 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:When's the last time you called the bar for a status update?
A month ago. No response. I'm going to contact them by mail if I haven't heard anything by the end of the month. I'd just like to know where I am in the process.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:29 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
Why don't you have your social media account on private?
I do. A very political (former) Facebook friend cut part of the conversation and pasted it as a photo on someone else's timeline. Like I said. It's not horrible. I just regret being drawn in to a stupid argument by a political type. It's the only problem, and it's really not a problem. But others might want to do a search. I'm at the nine-month mark. Still nothing. The person who contacted me had his informal conference at 8 mos.
Untag yourself from the post. Problem probably solved.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:09 pm

Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:

Already did. I'm sure they saw it. Got the dreaded "come to the informal conference" email this morning. Going the First week in November.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:17 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:
Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:

Already did. I'm sure they saw it. Got the dreaded "come to the informal conference" email this morning. Going the First week in November.
Good luck! Hoping it turns out well.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Researching the CBX Informal Conference. I found this. It's a transcript of someone's conference back in 2004. I checked, and he was subsequently denied, based in part on his answers at the informal conference:

https://www.scribd.com/document/3215043 ... 04-LAP-Ocr

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:00 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:Researching the CBX Informal Conference. I found this. It's a transcript of someone's conference back in 2004. I checked, and he was subsequently denied, based in part on his answers at the informal conference:

https://www.scribd.com/document/3215043 ... 04-LAP-Ocr

That dude should not be practicing. Read this email he sent:

https://www.scribd.com/document/1549021 ... -to-Tuttle

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:44 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
That dude should not be practicing. Read this email he sent:

https://www.scribd.com/document/1549021 ... -to-Tuttle
Whoa! The guy's a loon. I looked through some of the rest of his uploads. He's a nut, but at least he gave us a peak into the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:22 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:
Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Tobelawyer

New

Post by Tobelawyer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:12 am

It's true that social media can come up in an informal conference hearing. I know because I participated in one this past Summer during which the committee asked me questions regarding a particular social media post I made.

The informal conference is an uncomfortable experience. However, it's best to view it as the committee wants to admit you to the Bar and has some lingering concerns they want to discuss. Go in there with the attitude of laying their concerns to rest, knowing you are of good moral character. Their goal is to keep out the crooks.

If you want more details PM me. Oh yeah, and I made it thru and waiting on the Oath packet now.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Just to let everyone know. I had to cancel the informal conference. Got an unexpected medical diagnosis yesterday. Scheduled surgery today. I can't catch a break.

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:55 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:Just to let everyone know. I had to cancel the informal conference. Got an unexpected medical diagnosis yesterday. Scheduled surgery today. I can't catch a break.
That's terrible. When are you going to reschedule the informal conference?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:08 am

Underoath wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:Just to let everyone know. I had to cancel the informal conference. Got an unexpected medical diagnosis yesterday. Scheduled surgery today. I can't catch a break.
They told me I could reschedule after the surgery. I thought I had a vitamin deficiency or something because I was so tired. I have a heart-valve problem. No history. None.

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:
Underoath wrote:
They told me I could reschedule after the surgery. I thought I had a vitamin deficiency or something because I was so tired. I have a heart-valve problem. No history. None.
Wow! That is so scary. Glad you’re having the surgery. Keep us updated. I just received the automated email that the initial processing is complete.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:10 am

Underoath wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:
Underoath wrote:
Wow! That is so scary. Glad you’re having the surgery. Keep us updated. I just received the automated email that the initial processing is complete.
Congrats my friend! Means you're almost across the bureaucratic finish line!

Sorry about the surgery. Hope it goes well.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:35 pm

Good article about a former convict being admitted in Connecticut.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/maga ... e-law.html

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blueplanet

New

Post by Blueplanet » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:47 pm

My moral character used to say something like - paper application received under review. Now is just says
Application status: Moral Character Application under review.

Does that mean they have received all documents and are now reviewing it? I haven't had any email saying about the change?

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:22 pm

Blueplanet wrote:My moral character used to say something like - paper application received under review. Now is just says
Application status: Moral Character Application under review.

Does that mean they have received all documents and are now reviewing it? I haven't had any email saying about the change?
I finally got verbal confirmation that my analyst will begin work on mine within the next couple of weeks. It's funny how they even seem to keep that information (whether they have really begun working on your app) from you if they can. In short, mine has also said "under review" for months now. It means absolutely nothing.

Bla Bla Bla Blah

Bronze

Post by Bla Bla Bla Blah » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:27 pm

Got a call today from the CA Bar. It wasn't my analyst, but it was whoever they pass the file onto for further review. She asked a couple of questions about my debt. I told her that it was a choice between feeding my kids or paying, so it wasn't much of a choice at all. Discussed my plans to settle the debt once I can find employment with a CA firm and get some steady money in the bank again.

And she approved me. Done with the determination! She said I will be on motion this week, and recieve my swear in packet the following week. I've never totally broken down and cried tears of happiness, but today I was close. Holy shit man! The struggle is real when you're looking for new legal positions and don't have a license.

Underoath

Bronze

Post by Underoath » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:26 am

Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:Got a call today from the CA Bar. It wasn't my analyst, but it was whoever they pass the file onto for further review. She asked a couple of questions about my debt. I told her that it was a choice between feeding my kids or paying, so it wasn't much of a choice at all. Discussed my plans to settle the debt once I can find employment with a CA firm and get some steady money in the bank again.

And she approved me. Done with the determination! She said I will be on motion this week, and recieve my swear in packet the following week. I've never totally broken down and cried tears of happiness, but today I was close. Holy shit man! The struggle is real when you're looking for new legal positions and don't have a license.
I remember we spoke about this before in regards to can’t find a legal position with a JD but no license. I’m very happy for you. If I may ask how much debt do you have that isn’t student loans? I’m asking because I owe a substantial amount of money through loans. However, my other debt is less than $20,000, and a good portion of that is my car. So I’m hoping I will get someone to clear me as well. Congrats again!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:07 pm

Bla Bla Bla Blah wrote:Got a call today from the CA Bar. It wasn't my analyst, but it was whoever they pass the file onto for further review. She asked a couple of questions about my debt. I told her that it was a choice between feeding my kids or paying, so it wasn't much of a choice at all. Discussed my plans to settle the debt once I can find employment with a CA firm and get some steady money in the bank again.

Congrats, getting past the moral character application it's a good feeling!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:12 pm

Underoath wrote:

I remember we spoke about this before in regards to can’t find a legal position with a JD but no license. I’m very happy for you. If I may ask how much debt do you have that isn’t student loans? I’m asking because I owe a substantial amount of money through loans. However, my other debt is less than $20,000, and a good portion of that is my car. So I’m hoping I will get someone to clear me as well. Congrats again!
I have over $200K in student loans. Some of my loans defaulted years ago. But I rehabbed them and all my loans are now in the income based repayment program. I disclosed it all in the moral character application. It wasn't an issue, they did not ask any further questions about it. I think as long as your loans are current in some sort of plan, then you are good to go. But if the loans are officially delinquent or in default, then the bar might make further inquiry.

Blueplanet

New

Post by Blueplanet » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Can those out of state attorneys assist me with a question. The CA Moral Character team requires my drivers record. They say I should "submit an original, current, and certified copy of the driving record from the jurisdiction."

I can obtain an original from the driver's agency but it is not certified by them. Do I need to get that original certificated as an original?

Or do I need to include another copy that has been certified as a copy of the original?

Thanks in advance.

Blueplanet

New

Post by Blueplanet » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:25 am

Please disregard the above. I've sorted it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”