How soon can you get licensed in another UBE jur? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
drive

New

How soon can you get licensed in another UBE jur?

Post by drive » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Let's say I pass the July NY bar (UBE) in September (or October whatever). It takes forever to get sworn in in NY. In the mean time, can we apply for another UBE jurisdiction (say, New Jersey) as soon as I pass the NY bar and get sworn in faster in another UBE jurisdiction than NY?

cnk1220

Silver

Re: How soon can you get licensed in another UBE jur?

Post by cnk1220 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:19 pm

drive wrote:Let's say I pass the July NY bar (UBE) in September (or October whatever). It takes forever to get sworn in in NY. In the mean time, can we apply for another UBE jurisdiction (say, New Jersey) as soon as I pass the NY bar and get sworn in faster in another UBE jurisdiction than NY?

Yes, I am in the process of this- i started the NJ app the day after I found out I passed NY and submitted everything. You just have NCBE transfer your UBE score to NJ and do the NJ app + pay the $675 fee. My app just went to committee for NJ and I'm submitting NY this week so I'll likely get sworn in faster in NJ than NY.

ivankinghk

New

Post by ivankinghk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:57 pm

how long did you wait for NJ to send you acknowledgment. I submitted my application in June, and it's been almost a month and still hear nth from them.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:23 pm

Also keep in mind that in most states (including NJ) there is no formal interview/oath procedure. You have to be sworn in by an attorney or a judge or someone else who's qualified, but you don't have to wait for a specific appointment date like you do in NY. So once your application is complete and character and fitness clears you, you can be sworn in whenever you want by whoever you want that's qualified. Also, the character and fitness paperwork for NJ is almost nothing as compared to NY.

JShades33

New

Post by JShades33 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Took the February UBE in NJ, transferred my score to MO and filled out the C&F information almost immediately after the score was available on NCBEX. My C&F was approved Friday, waiting on my Oath letter.

Probably varies for each jurisdiction though?

Taking UBE again, need higher score for additional jurisdictions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:40 pm

ivankinghk wrote:how long did you wait for NJ to send you acknowledgment. I submitted my application in June, and it's been almost a month and still hear nth from them.
I sent my app. to NJ in mid-june, got sworn in end of july (mind you the swearing in was filling out the oath form and getting it notarized and mailing it to them so there was no formal ceremony)- got my certificate in the mail like a week later- NJ was super fast. I'm still waiting on NY.

ivankinghk

New

Post by ivankinghk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:07 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
ivankinghk wrote:how long did you wait for NJ to send you acknowledgment. I submitted my application in June, and it's been almost a month and still hear nth from them.
I sent my app. to NJ in mid-june, got sworn in end of july (mind you the swearing in was filling out the oath form and getting it notarized and mailing it to them so there was no formal ceremony)- got my certificate in the mail like a week later- NJ was super fast. I'm still waiting on NY.
What...... you serious? Are you UBE transfer app.? I just submitted my finger print cards and amended the app cuz I just admitted to NY. Why is it taking so long for me. So no formal ceremony at all?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”