Essay Topics for the UBE July 17? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cho8583

New

Re: Essay Topics for the UBE July 17?

Post by cho8583 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:03 am

Here is my take:

CP, Con law, Criminal law/Proc, Agency/Torts, Wills, SecTrans

Since it is quite a tradition for July MEE is that MBE:MEE subject ratio has been 4:2. Man, I hope 4:2 would also happen this time again.

lawDC2017

New

Post by lawDC2017 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:06 am

I know many others have posted similar predictions, but here's my take:

Four MBE subjects:
Civil Procedure
Criminal Law
Property Constitutional Law
Torts

Two MEE subjects:
Partnerships
Secured Transactions

Con Law and Evidence are wild cards; I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was tested in lieu of Torts. And, Wills has a good chance of substituting either Partnerships or Secured Transactions.

Edit: There was a misprint in a Barbri book that incorrectly stated Property was tested in July 2015. NBCE's July 2015 MEE Questions and Analyses confirms Property was not tested that summer. @FormerChild - thanks for leading a wayward TLSer back to the path.
Last edited by lawDC2017 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:35 am

For the MBE subjects, is it necessary to do any more MEE-specific preparation other than going over a few essays?

Brian_Wildcat

New

Post by Brian_Wildcat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:44 am

lawDC2017 wrote:I know many others have posted similar predictions, but here's my take:

Four MBE subjects:
Civil Procedure
Criminal Law
Property
Torts

Two MEE subjects:
Partnerships
Secured Transactions

Con Law and Evidence are wild cards; I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was tested in lieu of Torts. And, Wills has a good chance of substituting either Partnerships or Secured Transactions.

Why property? I was just tested in feb and I don't think it has been back to back since 2011/12

bballbb02

New

Post by bballbb02 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:51 am

Brian_Wildcat wrote:
lawDC2017 wrote:I know many others have posted similar predictions, but here's my take:

Four MBE subjects:
Civil Procedure
Criminal Law
Property
Torts

Two MEE subjects:
Partnerships
Secured Transactions

Why property? I was just tested in feb and I don't think it has been back to back since 2011/12

Yeah id bet crim an/or evidence is on it over property

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bda

New

Post by bda » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:15 am

My wishful thinking:

Civ Pro
Crim Pro/Law
Evidence
Con Law
Agency
Corps

lawDC2017

New

Post by lawDC2017 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:26 am

Brian_Wildcat wrote:

Four MBE subjects:
Civil Procedure
Criminal Law
Property
Torts

Two MEE subjects:
Partnerships
Secured Transactions

According to Barbri, Property was tested at a pattern of two-in-a-row, skip once, two-in-a-row, etc. from July 2008-July 2013. In February 2014, when the MEE started testing only six topics tested instead of nine, the pattern changed to two-in-a-row, skip twice, two-in-a-row, etc. Property was tested in February 2015 and July 2015, then skipped in February 2016 and July 2016. Given this pattern, it is likely Property will be tested next week (the second of the two-in-a-row after being skipped twice) even though it was tested in February 2017.

Understandably, past performance is not indicative of future performance. It just appears that there are some patterns in MEE topic frequency.

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:40 am

lawDC2017 wrote:
Brian_Wildcat wrote:

Four MBE subjects:
Civil Procedure
Criminal Law
Property
Torts

Two MEE subjects:
Partnerships
Secured Transactions

According to Barbri, Property was tested at a pattern of two-in-a-row, skip once, two-in-a-row, etc. from July 2008-July 2013. In February 2014, when the MEE started testing only six topics tested instead of nine, the pattern changed to two-in-a-row, skip twice, two-in-a-row, etc. Property was tested in February 2015 and July 2015, then skipped in February 2016 and July 2016. Given this pattern, it is likely Property will be tested next week (the second of the two-in-a-row after being skipped twice) even though it was tested in February 2017.

Understandably, past performance is not indicative of future performance. It just appears that there are some patterns in MEE topic frequency.
Yea Property wasn't tested in July 2015. Since July 2013 (which ended the back to back skip one back to back), it was not tested back to back, then was tested Feb. 2015, then was not tested back to back to back and then was tested Feb. 2017. In other words, since July 2013, Prop. has been tested on 2 out of the past 7 exams, with 0 coming back to back since July 2013. And to be specific, in July 2013 Prop. was given to states to use MEE, but was not tested on UBE, so counting that it would be 2/8 with a 3 exam gap each time in between. I think it'll be (1) Civ. Pro; (2) Con. Law or Crim. Law/Procedure; (3) Evidence; (4) Torts; (4) Secured Transactions; (5) Wills

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:08 am

FormerChild wrote:
lawDC2017 wrote:
Brian_Wildcat wrote:

Four MBE subjects:
Civil Procedure
Criminal Law
Property
Torts

Two MEE subjects:
Partnerships
Secured Transactions

Yea Property wasn't tested in July 2015. Since July 2013 (which ended the back to back skip one back to back), it was not tested back to back, then was tested Feb. 2015, then was not tested back to back to back and then was tested Feb. 2017. In other words, since July 2013, Prop. has been tested on 2 out of the past 7 exams, with 0 coming back to back since July 2013. And to be specific, in July 2013 Prop. was given to states to use MEE, but was not tested on UBE, so counting that it would be 2/8 with a 3 exam gap each time in between. I think it'll be (1) Civ. Pro; (2) Con. Law or Crim. Law/Procedure; (3) Evidence; (4) Torts; (4) Secured Transactions; (5) Wills
Agree with this. Have looked at the pattern (though of course, a pattern is just a pattern and can't predict the future), and think the most likely topics are what you mentioned. I'd throw in Partnership as a contender too, and perhaps Torts may be combined with Conflict of Laws (since Agency was tested in Feb and Torts hasn't been combined with Conflicts since 2009). Just remember "most significant relationship!"

What I doubt will be tested are Corporations, Contracts, Family Law, Property, Trusts - all of these were in Feb '17 and the patterns don't suggest they'll make a comeback next week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawDC2017

New

Post by lawDC2017 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:13 am

FormerChild wrote:
lawDC2017 wrote:
Brian_Wildcat wrote:

Four MBE subjects:
Civil Procedure
Criminal Law
Property
Torts

Two MEE subjects:
Partnerships
Secured Transactions

What's your source on Property not being tested in July 2015? I'm looking at the "MEE Essay Subjects Tested by Exam Date" on page three of Barbri's MEE Testing book (MEET), which notes that Property was tested in February and July 2015. If what you're saying is true, however, I agree that Property will not be tested in this year's exam. Instead, I'd expect Con Law or Evidence.

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:18 am

lawDC2017 wrote:
FormerChild wrote:
lawDC2017 wrote:
Brian_Wildcat wrote:

Four MBE subjects:
Civil Procedure
Criminal Law
Property
Torts

Two MEE subjects:
Partnerships
Secured Transactions

What's your source on Property not being tested in July 2015? I'm looking at the "MEE Essay Subjects Tested by Exam Date" on page three of Barbri's MEE Testing book (MEET), which notes that Property was tested in February and July 2015. If what you're saying is true, however, I agree that Property will not be tested in this year's exam. Instead, I'd expect Con Law or Evidence.
https://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/j ... edictions/

blaze1306

Bronze

Post by blaze1306 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Ok I gotta give excellence in law school props they nailed predictions for MEE in my state...

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:59 pm

blaze1306 wrote:Ok I gotta give excellence in law school props they nailed predictions for MEE in my state...

They did in all states that use the MEE. 5/6 with one of their sleeper picks being 6.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blaze1306

Bronze

Post by blaze1306 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:05 pm

Suprman37 wrote:
blaze1306 wrote:Ok I gotta give excellence in law school props they nailed predictions for MEE in my state...

They did in all states that use the MEE. 5/6 with one of their sleeper picks being 6.

I could be wrong but not all states use exactly the same MEE, most but not the same. For example last time NY and Minnesota used 4 of 6 the same. Two were different.

I could be wrong I'm completely spent after todays session.

Brian_Wildcat

New

Post by Brian_Wildcat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:08 pm

Really they went 7/7

bda

New

Post by bda » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:11 pm

Just missed out on the RAP and trusts crossovers in the Wills question but really who could have ever predicted that?

michelle3908

New

Post by michelle3908 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:37 pm

Same here, I opened the booklet, and flipped through quickly and was in awe of how it lined up with their predictions... Then I stopped being in awe and decided to write some essays :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hockeyman969

Bronze

Post by hockeyman969 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:59 am

Wherever I go, article 9 follows me; had it last year in July on UBE as a back to back with Feb; then it popped up in an entire essay in FL.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:37 am

bda wrote:Just missed out on the RAP and trusts crossovers in the Wills question but really who could have ever predicted that?
I had a feeling that would happen since we were due for wills question based on prior exams and the last exam was a trusts question with will subissue. Sounds like some states use the same MBES as the UBE testers and others make up their own.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”