MPRE August 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Knickerblocker

New

MPRE August 2017

Post by Knickerblocker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Anyone taking the August MPRE and also taking the bar this July? I'm still undecided. How much time do we have to devote to studying for the MPRE?

cnk1220

Silver

Re: MPRE August 2017

Post by cnk1220 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Knickerblocker wrote:Anyone taking the August MPRE and also taking the bar this July? I'm still undecided. How much time do we have to devote to studying for the MPRE?

Study for the MPRE for at least a week, or 2, depending on how well you do on multiple choice exams. Better to pass by a lot then miss by a few.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Anything beyond two weeks is totally unnecessary. That said, I would err on the side of caution and study for two weeks or like 10 days.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:36 pm

I went to two PR classes and studied for 6 hours. I passed by like 10 points. Smart? No. Would I recommend? No. But I'm just showing how low of a bar it is. I'd study for 3 or 4 days, pass and never think of it again.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Knickerblocker wrote:How much time do we have to devote to studying for the MPRE?
As referenced above, a lot of it has to do with how you feel about tests personally. I knew I was not someone who could study 8 hours the day before and pass (or that even if I could, I'd have been a nervous wreck in the process). So I studied for about 15 days, little bits each day in the evening (1-2 hours max) and ended up passing by over 45 points. None of those extra points got me anything, but I personally wouldn't change my study timeline if I had to do it again. Just base it off how you generally feel, and have done, on past multiple-choice exams.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
Knickerblocker wrote:How much time do we have to devote to studying for the MPRE?
As referenced above, a lot of it has to do with how you feel about tests personally. I knew I was not someone who could study 8 hours the day before and pass (or that even if I could, I'd have been a nervous wreck in the process). So I studied for about 15 days, little bits each day in the evening (1-2 hours max) and ended up passing by over 45 points. None of those extra points got me anything, but I personally wouldn't change my study timeline if I had to do it again. Just base it off how you generally feel, and have done, on past multiple-choice exams.
Great advice - only YOU can answer many of these questions - Generally speaking, most folks put in very low amounts of effort and can pass, naturally depending on your state the score can go from laughably low, to only perhaps snickeringly low?

There are MANY free programs that include lectures, outlines and questions. Depending on your familiarity with the material (or perhaps how recently you took professional responsibility) the more - or less - time you'll need to invest.

As a broad brush, and the try to cover all bases, id say a solid week of studying (2 hours or so a day) will definitely be more than enough to pass. That is more than sufficient time to listen to lectures, review outlines and do practice questions + explanations.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
Already chimed in on this thread, but this is exactly how I view my studying after passing comfortably. Wouldn't change it. Also worth noting that the calculus is a bit different for post-bar MPRE. Don't want your admissions delayed because you didnt want to put in an extra few hours of studying.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:07 pm

I studied the weekend before for about 8-ish hours and put in some 1-2 hr stints in the days leading up to the test and squeaked by with an 87.

I'd suggest studying solidly for 2 weekends and put in a couple additional hours in the week leading up.

sgd19

New

Post by sgd19 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:53 pm

To each his own, I failed by 3 points and I studied for a week despite watching the lectures and working through 80% of the problems. What resource did people use? Barbri, Themis, Kaplan? I used Themis and that's been my result :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:13 pm

pancakes3 wrote:I studied the weekend before for about 8-ish hours and put in some 1-2 hr stints in the days leading up to the test and squeaked by with an 87.

I'd suggest studying solidly for 2 weekends and put in a couple additional hours in the week leading up.
did the exact same

Probably a weekout out is fine. Do a lot of the practice questions.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:56 pm

sgd19 wrote:To each his own, I failed by 3 points and I studied for a week despite watching the lectures and working through 80% of the problems. What resource did people use? Barbri, Themis, Kaplan? I used Themis and that's been my result :cry:
I used a combination of Themis and Barbri. I can't remember how exactly I allocated it, but I watched the lectures on one of them, then mixed the questions up between the two of them. My idea was that different question styles would prepare me better than just one question style. No idea if there is any merit to that, but it worked in my situation.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:59 pm

I read through the model rules (not as bad as it sounds) before drilling practice questions.

Knickerblocker

New

Post by Knickerblocker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks for the advice, everybody. I've decided to take it in August. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tiredbuthappyitsover

New

Post by Tiredbuthappyitsover » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:51 am

I studied for about 2 weeks while working full-time. I read an outline and did a ton of practice questions (Kaplan has very good practice tests!).

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:35 pm

Also - the ethics portion of the bar should really help with MPRE questions.

htownking1

New

Post by htownking1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:01 pm

I felt ok walking out of it. Really though my mind is telling me it could have gone either way, but that is how I feel after all exams.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:18 pm

robin600 wrote:Also - the ethics portion of the bar should really help with MPRE questions.
Majority bar does not have ethics portion.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JShades33

New

Post by JShades33 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 am

How's everybody feeling? I'm not sure how I felt walking out of the exam. Most of the people at my venue said they were taking the exam very lightly or did about 2-3 days self-study. I jumped in right after taking the bar and did about two weeks worth of studying. I used the Kaplan online program and book and the BarBri outline. On the Kaplan practice exams I scored 45,47,48,50 and I purchased the NCBE exam and scored a 50. I felt like the NCBE practice exam was a little easier but the questions were roughly the same format, BarBri practice questions were filled malpractice liability questions which only came up maybe once or twice on the actual exam and questions themselves didn't really line up with the Kaplan or the exam. From reading posts here on TPS people were not happy with BarBri Bar Prep but I don't know I used Kaplan and felt prepared for what came our way on the MBE, so I hope it did its job here too. Anyway, I need an 80 for my jurisdictions but I'm hoping get a passing for everywhere; so I'm good for NY in the near future. 3.5 more weeks can't come soon enough.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:43 am

JShades33 wrote:How's everybody feeling? I'm not sure how I felt walking out of the exam. Most of the people at my venue said they were taking the exam very lightly or did about 2-3 days self-study. I jumped in right after taking the bar and did about two weeks worth of studying. I used the Kaplan online program and book and the BarBri outline. On the Kaplan practice exams I scored 45,47,48,50 and I purchased the NCBE exam and scored a 50. I felt like the NCBE practice exam was a little easier but the questions were roughly the same format, BarBri practice questions were filled malpractice liability questions which only came up maybe once or twice on the actual exam and questions themselves didn't really line up with the Kaplan or the exam. From reading posts here on TPS people were not happy with BarBri Bar Prep but I don't know I used Kaplan and felt prepared for what came our way on the MBE, so I hope it did its job here too. Anyway, I need an 80 for my jurisdictions but I'm hoping get a passing for everywhere; so I'm good for NY in the near future. 3.5 more weeks can't come soon enough.
You're definitely fine. I literally watched the bar bri free lecture the day before and just followed along with the worksheet. that's it. I scored like 90+

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am

This is my second time taking the MPRE, I forget how I knew when the scores where out -- if I found out from here or if they sent an email. Anyone recall? tyia

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:05 am

Sprout wrote:This is my second time taking the MPRE, I forget how I knew when the scores where out -- if I found out from here or if they sent an email. Anyone recall? tyia
August MPRE scores will be released Sept 7

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OnTheRise

New

Post by OnTheRise » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Damage Over Time wrote:
Sprout wrote:This is my second time taking the MPRE, I forget how I knew when the scores where out -- if I found out from here or if they sent an email. Anyone recall? tyia

Source?

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:11 pm

OnTheRise wrote:
Damage Over Time wrote:

Source?
http://www.ncbex.org/

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:52 pm

Bump for scores this week.

Knickerblocker

New

Post by Knickerblocker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:30 am

Around what time are the results usually posted?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”