Raw MBE conversion Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
RaceJudicata

Gold

Raw MBE conversion

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:23 pm

Does anyone have good information on this? What percentage should I be shooting for? FWIW, using barbri and Adaptibar (I know barbri are considered "harder").

Can't seem to find any good information on this... maybe it doesn't exist?

MrT

Bronze

Re: Raw MBE conversion

Post by MrT » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:48 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Does anyone have good information on this? What percentage should I be shooting for? FWIW, using barbri and Adaptibar (I know barbri are considered "harder").

I know the Emmanuel's MBE book had a chart using historical data. Unfortunately I don't have the book anymore though.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:48 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Does anyone have good information on this? What percentage should I be shooting for? FWIW, using barbri and Adaptibar (I know barbri are considered "harder").

Might be a little harder to find now that only 175 are graded...

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:56 pm

cnk1220 wrote:

Might be a little harder to find now that only 175 are graded...
Yes, this seems to be the case.

Kalani111

New

Post by Kalani111 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:25 pm

I think 70% overall is the safe zone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:32 pm

Yeah, there's a chart in Emanuel, but that is based on limited data the one time the Illinois board of law examiners released it. Also it was when there were only 10 rather than 25 pretest items.

It's really hard to say because they also throw items out, or sometimes they'll double key them.

Moreover, even if you COULD know for sure that "60% = 135 scaled," 60% on Barbri or Adaptibar =/= 60% right on the actual MBE. The 60% figure would be from a test constructed to meet various psychometric requirements (statistical stuff like reliability coefficients, standard errors, etc.) that I doubt commercial test prep companies meet or even attempt to meet. Even if they did either, the sample size just wouldn't be as large as the one NCBE enjoys. This btw is my theory as to why NCBE is so secretive about its scale unlike, say, LSAC, which releases the scale with EACH released PrepTest -- test takers would likely misuse the scale by applying it to simulated MBEs, or worse, subsets of MBE-like questions (such as Barbri's 18-item drills).

tl;dr: do the best you can. Unsatisfying, I know. :(

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:53 am

Since only 175 MBE questions will be graded on the upcoming UBE exam, you want to answer a minimum of 110 of these graded questions correctly (63%). According to a 1997 study entitled Basic Concepts in Item and Test Analysis, "the ideal percentage of correct answers on a four-choice multiple-choice test is not 70-90%. According to Thompson and Levitov (1985), the ideal difficulty for such an item would be halfway between the percentage of pure guess (25%) and 100%, (25% + {(100% - 25%)/2}. Therefore, for a test with 100 items with four alternatives each, the ideal mean percentage of correct items, for the purpose of maximizing score reliability, is roughly 63%."

I have a calculator for raw to scaled MBE conversions here:
http://www.seperac.com/zcalc-mbe-febjuly.php

Tiredbuthappyitsover

New

Post by Tiredbuthappyitsover » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:37 am

If using Barbri-you can usually add 15-20 points to your raw score to get the scaled score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”