July 2017 -- Barbri UBE Hangout Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
LSATWiz.com

Silver

Re: July 2017 -- Barbri UBE Hangout

Post by LSATWiz.com » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:31 pm

bballbb02 wrote:how important are the barbri question set goals? they seem to say dont worry if you dont hit them
The purpose is to use practice MBE as a way of identifying what areas of law you need more clarity on and also to learn the law. There's no benefit in stressing about the specific score, and you also don't know how much time others are spending on these questions or if they're researching the law before answering them. Further, it's better to do and carefully review 10 questions than to just do 25.

acijku2

New

Post by acijku2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Woof - that 2nd property question set was rough.

MrWhitman

New

Post by MrWhitman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:56 pm

acijku2 wrote:Woof - that 2nd property question set was rough.
I came online just to see if someone felt similarly.

MrWhitman

New

Post by MrWhitman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:58 pm

And take heart--Barbri's target score for these is far lower than the other practice sets.

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:58 pm

MrWhitman wrote:
Yeah lol wtf was that. Also some of the questions were just written in ways that were annoyingly more complex than normal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acijku2

New

Post by acijku2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:12 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:
MrWhitman wrote:
Yeah lol wtf was that. Also some of the questions were just written in ways that were annoyingly more complex than normal.
I was just starting to feel a little better about property after reviewing it the past few days and that just knocked me down a peg or two.

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:11 pm

acijku2 wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:
MrWhitman wrote:
I was just starting to feel a little better about property after reviewing it the past few days and that just knocked me down a peg or two.
I wish my degree came with a receipt after seeing scoring myself on that question set, sheesh. Morale is low

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:49 pm

FormerChild wrote:
acijku2 wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:
MrWhitman wrote:
I wish my degree came with a receipt after seeing scoring myself on that question set, sheesh. Morale is low
FWIW, after doing terrible on that question set, I watched the "Real Property MBE Approach Tutorial" that is in our homework (or at least mine). Would recommend if you're struggling with the subject. I've done much better on practice questions after watching

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:43 am

It seems impossible to complete everything assigned each day if the goal is retention. As a result I've skipped almost every essay assignment so far. Anyone else in the same boat?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:21 am

crumb cake wrote:It seems impossible to complete everything assigned each day if the goal is retention. As a result I've skipped almost every essay assignment so far. Anyone else in the same boat?
Quite literally the exact same thing. I've done only two MEEs. Trying to get to doing one a day this week though. I signed up for adapitbar and realized that I had forgotten all of torts, so I'm trying to put a lot of energy this week into checking my retention.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:32 pm

crumb cake wrote:It seems impossible to complete everything assigned each day if the goal is retention. As a result I've skipped almost every essay assignment so far. Anyone else in the same boat?

It is almost impossible to complete everything, barbri overwhelms you but..

I wouldn't skip essays, you don't need to submit them for a grade, but when July hits deff. try to outline a few each day- you don't need to full on write them out but deff. outline or look over the model answers and make sure you are at least issue spotting and memorizing BLL rules. The essays are worth 30% so it's a solid chunk of your UBE total grade. If you can I would recommend skipping lectures and studying the rules for MEE. This worked for me, and will likely work for anyone who is not an auditory learner- even if you don't know what exactly the rules mean just memorize them verbatim and look to how/where in the past MEEs they have applied so you can write the similar rules down and apply them on your actual exam, good luck!

Subban_Fan

New

Post by Subban_Fan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Hey, glad I found this thread! Been doing the class online, was wondering a couple things:

1) Do you guys watch the MBE workshop videos? The first 2 I watched (evidence, torts) seemed to just say exactly what was in the answers in the book.

2) Does anyone else find it annoying for the black letter law assessments and AMP that we don't find out if we're wrong or get the correct answer immediately after each question? Seems bad for studying -- if we're wrong wouldn't they immediately want to correct it instead of having us re-misapply the law over and over again?

I know Themis has an option where you can either go straight through and get the correct answers at the end (test mode) or get the answers immediately after each question (study mode). Not sure why Barbri doesn't have this feature, programming it would be super simple.

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Subban_Fan wrote:
2) Does anyone else find it annoying for the black letter law assessments and AMP that we don't find out if we're wrong or get the correct answer immediately after each question? Seems bad for studying -- if we're wrong wouldn't they immediately want to correct it instead of having us re-misapply the law over and over again?

This is bar far the most @!$@#$@ing annoying thing about Barbri so far.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cantab10

New

Post by Cantab10 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Subban_Fan wrote:Hey, glad I found this thread! Been doing the class online, was wondering a couple things:

1) Do you guys watch the MBE workshop videos? The first 2 I watched (evidence, torts) seemed to just say exactly what was in the answers in the book.

I know Themis has an option where you can either go straight through and get the correct answers at the end (test mode) or get the answers immediately after each question (study mode). Not sure why Barbri doesn't have this feature, programming it would be super simple.
Hey,

I stopped watching the MBE workshop videos because of the reason you said. But they seem to give strategy tips unique for each module during those lectures so I don't know if it'll be worth doing it as a review?

Definitely agree with the AMP stuff.

Anyone else really struggle with the Crim MPQ assigned today? I had done pretty well in the previous one then my scores dropped drastically with this set :(

acijku2

New

Post by acijku2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Cantab10 wrote:
Subban_Fan wrote:Hey, glad I found this thread! Been doing the class online, was wondering a couple things:

Hey,

I stopped watching the MBE workshop videos because of the reason you said. But they seem to give strategy tips unique for each module during those lectures so I don't know if it'll be worth doing it as a review?

Anyone else really struggle with the Crim MPQ assigned today? I had done pretty well in the previous one then my scores dropped drastically with this set :(
Yes! Glad to know I'm not only one. I had done really well on all the prior sets and bombed this one. Was a lot of questions on nuanced exceptions in crim law with barely any procedure Qs. I'm just going to chalk it up to being an abnormally difficult one.

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:54 pm

acijku2 wrote:
Cantab10 wrote:

Hey,

Yes! Glad to know I'm not only one. I had done really well on all the prior sets and bombed this one. Was a lot of questions on nuanced exceptions in crim law with barely any procedure Qs. I'm just going to chalk it up to being an abnormally difficult one.
Not a fan of the MBE workshop videos either. The whole 5 minute lead in of "Sure, XXX subject may not be the most exciting topic in the world, but I'm confident with the right preparation . . ." drives me crazy. They could all be cut down to 15-20 minutes in my opinion. Thankfully I only have one left, and I'll probably just watch at 2x while folding laundry or something. Wish I had wised up to their uselessness earlier.

I don't mind the AMP waiting until the end to tell you your score. I like to get into the swing if answering questions and not get bogged down with the nuances as I go. I also take notes on the questions I got wrong, so that may be why immediate feedback is extra distracting to me.

and re: crim: I was pretty disheartened as well, but then I saw we were only aiming for 9/18 on that set!

Subban_Fan

New

Post by Subban_Fan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:45 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
acijku2 wrote:
Cantab10 wrote:

Hey,

Not a fan of the MBE workshop videos either. The whole 5 minute lead in of "Sure, XXX subject may not be the most exciting topic in the world, but I'm confident with the right preparation . . ." drives me crazy. They could all be cut down to 15-20 minutes in my opinion. Thankfully I only have one left, and I'll probably just watch at 2x while folding laundry or something. Wish I had wised up to their uselessness earlier.

That's usually how I feel about most of my lectures in law school. :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:51 pm

Anyone else think question 5 answer D should also be correct in the contract workshop?

It's true that an offer happened, but there was absolutely no guarantee the offer would be held open (not a merchant, no consideration). So, yeah the accountant had every right to sell the thing to a higher bidder. Implied revocation doesn't matter.

Cantab10

New

Post by Cantab10 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:34 am

ConfusedL1 wrote:Anyone else think question 5 answer D should also be correct in the contract workshop?

It's true that an offer happened, but there was absolutely no guarantee the offer would be held open (not a merchant, no consideration). So, yeah the accountant had every right to sell the thing to a higher bidder. Implied revocation doesn't matter.
I didn't go with D because it seemed to suggest that A could sell to whoever he wanted just because they paid a higher price. I think the call of the question as Barbri likes to say is more about whether there was a valid revocation. Because there was no valid option (it's therefore a revocable contract), when A sold to his bro-in-law he effectively revoked the offer to the coworker.

Cantab10

New

Post by Cantab10 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:35 am

Good to hear about crim... stay strong guys we'll figure it out lol

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:07 am

Does anyone know if the workshop difficulty is more indicative of the MBE? Or what is supposed to be the measuring point?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bballbb02

New

Post by bballbb02 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:05 am

Anyone else get killed by property set 4?

Cantab10

New

Post by Cantab10 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:16 am

bballbb02 wrote:Anyone else get killed by property set 4?
Barely passed it but Con set 2 was brutal for me :(

MrWhitman

New

Post by MrWhitman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:58 am

I'm a flash card learner so I sort of avoid AMP. I'm wondering if people actually find AMP to be valuable enough for me to pick up and complete. I have a pretty large number of AMP assignments pending.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:41 am

Probably a dumb question, but where do we see what our target score is for problem sets?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”