July 2017 -- Barbri UBE Hangout Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
FormerChild

New

Re: July 2017 -- Barbri UBE Hangout

Post by FormerChild » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:39 pm

bda wrote:How screwed am I if I'm still getting "below passing" on a number of essays...
It's hard to tell (assuming you mean self-grading the essays). IMO, it depends on whether you're using the same rules, points/arguments, analysis and conclusion as Barbri, but just not using Barbri's exact language. We can't know for sure how lenient or strict the actual bar essay graders will be with the above. With Barbri's self-grading sheets, you either said exactly what they want or you didn't, and we don't really have any discretion to make the call ourselves without sacrificing integrity of the whole thing. We also can't know if they'd give credit for logical and coherent arguments that Barbri didn't include. I think if you're recognizing the pertinent issues, stating the law correctly, and applying it correctly, but just your language is different than Barbri's, you shouldn't worry toooo much (assuming you're doing it all in 30 mins or less). If this is the case for you, just sharpen up the rule statements. But, if none of the above is your case and you can't state the precise rule under the timed conditions, then no way to sugar coat it--just gotta get back to work. Best of luck.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:43 pm

I think consensus is that you don't do all additional essays when assigned in the PSP this week, but at least questions 5, 6, 7, and 8 in the "writing program"? Presumably those are more relevant than the "additional" ones placed at the end, which they prefatorily note contain less frequently tested topics.

/(Calling cnk)

Ken Kesey

New

Post by Ken Kesey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Brian_Wildcat wrote:Is anyone actually reviewing the CMR today? I feel like it would be a waste of my time. planning on just reviewing lecture notes again.
My experience is that the lectures really don't cover everything you need to know.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:36 am

Is embezzlement a crime involving dishonesty that you could be impeached with? I thought the crime had to be one with a false statement, but then I got a question where Barbri said dishonesty was a character trait for embezzlement.

RDA2930

New

Post by RDA2930 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 am

cricketlove00 wrote:Is embezzlement a crime involving dishonesty that you could be impeached with? I thought the crime had to be one with a false statement, but then I got a question where Barbri said dishonesty was a character trait for embezzlement.
Yes, any crime that involves dishonesty but is more than mere theft will qualify. So, embezzlement, false pretenses, etc. will count. I think the rationale here is that because there is an element of entrustment (to embezzle, you are stealing funds that someone trusted you with) and you aren't just "merely" stealing--you're deceiving someone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 am

cricketlove00 wrote:Is embezzlement a crime involving dishonesty that you could be impeached with? I thought the crime had to be one with a false statement, but then I got a question where Barbri said dishonesty was a character trait for embezzlement.
Yes because embezzlement implicates trustworthiness, i.e., you were trusted to control this money, property, etc. If the defendant can show that they have a general reputation for trustworthiness, this helps to vitiate the specific intent required for embezzlement.

edit: scooped above

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:51 am

RDA2930 wrote:
Yes, any crime that involves dishonesty but is more than mere theft will qualify. So, embezzlement, false pretenses, etc. will count. I think the rationale here is that because there is an element of entrustment (to embezzle, you are stealing funds that someone trusted you with) and you aren't just "merely" stealing--you're deceiving someone.
Thank youuuuu!

Cantab10

New

Post by Cantab10 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi guys,

Anyone in the Albany area looking for a study buddy? PM me if interested :)

dhersz

New

Post by dhersz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:40 pm

I'm finding myself feeling very underprepared for Corps, Family and Trusts.

What do we think the odds of them showing up back-to-back are? I can't decide if I'm wasting precious MBE-focus time by trying to get memorize them!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bballbb02

New

Post by bballbb02 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:47 pm

dhersz wrote:I'm finding myself feeling very underprepared for Corps, Family and Trusts.

What do we think the odds of them showing up back-to-back are? I can't decide if I'm wasting precious MBE-focus time by trying to get memorize them!
Corps would actually be back-to-back-to-back so idk, but I feel the same way on this,,, feel a little better about family than the other twords though

Brian_Wildcat

New

Post by Brian_Wildcat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:58 pm

I am banking on no family law. let's hope that is the case because I am just going to casually review it Sunday night and thats it.

dhersz

New

Post by dhersz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Yeah, well I reckon family is fairly easy to wing it. Like its all very straight forward.

I'm kinda studying Corps, but there's a lot to memorize there.

Im figuring Trusts is fair game, given that most predictions are stating Wills.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Trust and Wills is what is giving me the creeps. So many nuanced rules that don't quite mesh with everything else we've learned (as opposed to say, Agency/Partnership/Corporations all having that common thread of agency law connecting them).

Family law will ultimately be a word vomit of "best interest of the child" and "equity."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dhersz

New

Post by dhersz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Yeah I get that.

I think Wills is ok, as ultimately it will be intestacy/validity issues which are straightforward. Trusts is a lot trickier.

I'm very tempted to just let Corps go at this stage :? :? :? :?

Brian_Wildcat

New

Post by Brian_Wildcat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:12 pm

I freaking hate MPT.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:42 pm

I think Barbri is trying to kill me. I had real property, mortgages, liens, and sureties today. I'm dead.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:23 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:Trust and Wills is what is giving me the creeps. So many nuanced rules that don't quite mesh with everything else we've learned (as opposed to say, Agency/Partnership/Corporations all having that common thread of agency law connecting them).

Family law will ultimately be a word vomit of "best interest of the child" and "equity."

You're unlikely to get fam law- it was just tested in feb. 2017 and we had a best interests of the child issue, I'd focus more on other topics, especially bc fam law is easy to "BS" but wills/trusts is not! Good luck :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:54 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:Trust and Wills is what is giving me the creeps. So many nuanced rules that don't quite mesh with everything else we've learned (as opposed to say, Agency/Partnership/Corporations all having that common thread of agency law connecting them).

You're unlikely to get fam law- it was just tested in feb. 2017 and we had a best interests of the child issue, I'd focus more on other topics, especially bc fam law is easy to "BS" but wills/trusts is not! Good luck :)
How lenient/strict do you think graders are with respect to the essays. For stuff like Wills/Trusts, which have very particular sets of rules that can often determine an outcome (as opposed to an equity balancing approach like FamLaw), can you get away with having a broader grasp of the overall law landscape without all the nitty gritty details that can make a difference?

e: to follow up - more specifically, how strictly do they adhere to getting specific vocabulary down vs. having the general concept/idea on paper.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:12 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

How lenient/strict do you think graders are with respect to the essays. For stuff like Wills/Trusts, which have very particular sets of rules that can often determine an outcome (as opposed to an equity balancing approach like FamLaw), can you get away with having a broader grasp of the overall law landscape without all the nitty gritty details that can make a difference?

e: to follow up - more specifically, how strictly do they adhere to getting specific vocabulary down vs. having the general concept/idea on paper.

Honestly- I think it's important to know some of the buzz words in the rules verbatim especially with complex issues that appear in trusts and wills, so you can rack up some points by hitting those buzz words in the rule in case you're not sure exactly what's going on (this happened to me in trusts with power of appt, but I knew some key words from the rule I jotted down and then applied it to the facts).

The graders are reading a lot of essays so make yours stand out by having key word rule statements (ex: duty of care in corps: mention "acting in good faith, honest basis in the best interests of the corporation") and then applying those facts to each element in your rule.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:24 am

cnk1220 wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

Honestly- I think it's important to know some of the buzz words in the rules verbatim especially with complex issues that appear in trusts and wills, so you can rack up some points by hitting those buzz words in the rule in case you're not sure exactly what's going on (this happened to me in trusts with power of appt, but I knew some key words from the rule I jotted down and then applied it to the facts).

The graders are reading a lot of essays so make yours stand out by having key word rule statements (ex: duty of care in corps: mention "acting in good faith, honest basis in the best interests of the corporation") and then applying those facts to each element in your rule.
Gotcha - Good to know. It's tough keeping it all straight on top of the MBE prep, but hopefully I can cram enough in in the next few days.

Brian_Wildcat

New

Post by Brian_Wildcat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:45 am

"id like to see those judge strung up. If some one will give me a rope i'll go do it my self"

BarBri logic: That isn't a true threat of immediate harm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:38 am

Brian_Wildcat wrote:"id like to see those judge strung up. If some one will give me a rope i'll go do it my self"

BarBri logic: That isn't a true threat of immediate harm.
While this one annoyed me a little (and I got it wrong for the same reason), I do see how that it would be very unlikely that someone would actually consider what he said a threat against the judges. If he had said "I'd like to see those judges strung up, and I'll give $10,000 to anyone who does it", that would be much more apparent.

MrWhitman

New

Post by MrWhitman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:43 am

Dear Lord! Property MPQ Set 6 is a slog. I'm not sure how I got anything correct.

RDA2930

New

Post by RDA2930 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:48 am

Can anyone explain the difference between an irrevocable license (license coupled with an interest) and a profit easement?

Question 11 on Property Set 6 really doesn't make sense to me. What language in an agreement will make an irrevocable license/license coupled with an interest versus a profit easement? They seem like the same thing to me. I thought the whole analysis between license and profit/easement was that licenses are revocable at will; if a license is irrevocable, doesn't that just make it a profit/easement? Edit: Does it have something to do with whether it is written or not?

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:25 am

MrWhitman wrote:Dear Lord! Property MPQ Set 6 is a slog. I'm not sure how I got anything correct.
I got a 33 percent. Lowest I've ever done. I think partly it was because every question was over three paragraphs long and I've stopped trying to succeed at property.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”