July 2017 -- Barbri UBE Hangout Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Bobby_Axelrod

New

Re: July 2017 -- Barbri UBE Hangout

Post by Bobby_Axelrod » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:44 am

californiauser wrote:Probably a dumb question, but where do we see what our target score is for problem sets?
Click on the assignment and a window with the description of the assignment pops up. Toward the bottom of the window, it lists the target goals for each problem set for the respective topic.

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:55 am

californiauser wrote:Probably a dumb question, but where do we see what our target score is for problem sets?
They are in the beginning pages of the MBE book. I think there is a PDF of it online as well.

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Getting really frustrated with Barbri's BS questions. I feel like many of their correct answers turn on questions of fact, not law. For example, in the con law question set 2, question 14 asking whether an employment termination is constitutional, the facts say that a person "cannot be fired except for cause." So the first thing I do when reading the answer choices is cross out the one that says "yes b/c the employer is free to fire employees at will." Lo and behold, the correct answer is yes its constitutional b/c the person is an at-will employee. Like wtf? Then the explanation says "unless prohibited by statute … a person can be fired for any reason." But the facts literally say it was prohibited by statute. Feel like I've encountered many other questions that are equally dumb. Had to rant about it lol :evil:

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:23 pm

http://images.barbri.com/email/pardot/M ... tGoals.pdf

Bobby_Axelrod

New

Post by Bobby_Axelrod » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:35 pm

FormerChild wrote:Getting really frustrated with Barbri's BS questions. I feel like many of their correct answers turn on questions of fact, not law. For example, in the con law question set 2, question 14 asking whether an employment termination is constitutional, the facts say that a person "cannot be fired except for cause." So the first thing I do when reading the answer choices is cross out the one that says "yes b/c the employer is free to fire employees at will." Lo and behold, the correct answer is yes its constitutional b/c the person is an at-will employee. Like wtf? Then the explanation says "unless prohibited by statute … a person can be fired for any reason." But the facts literally say it was prohibited by statute. Feel like I've encountered many other questions that are equally dumb. Had to rant about it lol :evil:
If I remember correctly, that was the lottery question and I think it turned on whether administration of the lottery was a government function, such that would make the employees of the organization running the lottery public employees. If the employees were public employees, then they would fall within the scope of the statute (which I believe prohibited state employees from being fired without cause). But, because the organization was deemed a private company, the employees were private, and could be fired at-will. The only fact issue here was whether the lottery was public or private.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bballbb02

New

Post by bballbb02 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:38 pm

FormerChild wrote:Getting really frustrated with Barbri's BS questions. I feel like many of their correct answers turn on questions of fact, not law. For example, in the con law question set 2, question 14 asking whether an employment termination is constitutional, the facts say that a person "cannot be fired except for cause." So the first thing I do when reading the answer choices is cross out the one that says "yes b/c the employer is free to fire employees at will." Lo and behold, the correct answer is yes its constitutional b/c the person is an at-will employee. Like wtf? Then the explanation says "unless prohibited by statute … a person can be fired for any reason." But the facts literally say it was prohibited by statute. Feel like I've encountered many other questions that are equally dumb. Had to rant about it lol :evil:

did the same exact thing,, crossed out the at-will answer because it said except without cause in the facts and nowhere did it say she was an at-will employee,, lol barbri is really insane with some of these questions

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Bobby_Axelrod wrote:
If I remember correctly, that was the lottery question and I think it turned on whether administration of the lottery was a government function, such that would make the employees of the organization running the lottery public employees. If the employees were public employees, then they would fall within the scope of the statute (which I believe prohibited state employees from being fired without cause). But, because the organization was deemed a private company, the employees were private, and could be fired at-will. The only fact issue here was whether the lottery was public or private.
Yeah, it was basically this. Because the primary function of the business was not state-run, it was deemed independent. But of course, like everyone else I crossed out at-will.

vivala

Bronze

Post by vivala » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Is anyone else feeling really frustrated at this point? I'm constantly missing the MPQs by about 1-2 questions, especially in Contracts and Property, and I'm getting worried.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:38 pm

vivala wrote:Is anyone else feeling really frustrated at this point? I'm constantly missing the MPQs by about 1-2 questions, especially in Contracts and Property, and I'm getting worried.
Yea, for whatever reason I'm doing horribly in con law - I was 3 questions off from the target MPQ today. pretty sure this whole bar thing isn't going to work out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Subban_Fan

New

Post by Subban_Fan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 pm

okaygo wrote:
vivala wrote:Is anyone else feeling really frustrated at this point? I'm constantly missing the MPQs by about 1-2 questions, especially in Contracts and Property, and I'm getting worried.
Yea, for whatever reason I'm doing horribly in con law - I was 3 questions off from the target MPQ today. pretty sure this whole bar thing isn't going to work out.
Yeah, me too. It seems like the MPQ questions cover a lot that the lectures don't. So I feel like I'm having to learn a lot of new law while doing the MPQs, as opposed to reviewing what I had learned from the lectures.

The weird thing is, my law school offered an MBE class, and the questions given out were from another MBE prep book, and the questions were way different than the ones in Barbri.

I'm trying to keep in mind what Antonio Martinez wrote in Chaos Monkeys: “Truth in the world resides only in mathematical proofs and physics labs. Everywhere else it's really matter of opinion, and if it manages to become group opinion, it's undeservedly crowned as capital-T truth. And so you need to determine whatever the local version of truth is you're inhabiting.”

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Subban_Fan wrote:
okaygo wrote:
Yeah, me too. It seems like the MPQ questions cover a lot that the lectures don't. So I feel like I'm having to learn a lot of new law while doing the MPQs, as opposed to reviewing what I had learned from the lectures.

The weird thing is, my law school offered an MBE class, and the questions given out were from another MBE prep book, and the questions were way different than the ones in Barbri.

I'm trying to keep in mind what Antonio Martinez wrote in Chaos Monkeys: “Truth in the world resides only in mathematical proofs and physics labs. Everywhere else it's really matter of opinion, and if it manages to become group opinion, it's undeservedly crowned as capital-T truth. And so you need to determine whatever the local version of truth is you're inhabiting.”
Were they harder or easier than the Barbri questions?

Cantab10

New

Post by Cantab10 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Anyone here using an app called Quizlet to make flashcards?

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Cantab10 wrote:Anyone here using an app called Quizlet to make flashcards?
I am, but not making them, I used Quizlet during 1l so was using those ones. But then I searched "critical pass" in the search bar and found numerous sets of both MBE and MEE topics w/ critical pass flashcards already made and accessible. Obviously have to check the accuracy of the material w/ your outlines, but from my experience with them thus far they've been accurate and sufficiently descriptive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

acijku2

New

Post by acijku2 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Anyone want to explain question 13 from 1st contract problem set.

I don't really understand the rational that (1) the concert pianist is a merchant and (2) even if so, how storage of a piano for 6 months in an A/Ced warehouse is not a material addition to the contract under 2-207 (this is not even adressed in the answer explanation)

Subban_Fan

New

Post by Subban_Fan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Were they harder or easier than the Barbri questions?
The questions from the book were easier. Way less nuanced and tested on what the book discussed. The book also included some real MBE questions, which were harder than the ones written by the book's authors but still easier than Barbri questions.

I struggle with the Barbri questions because often times I'll go to a 50/50 and choose the wrong one. I think sometimes Barbri questions kind of mislead you like that (they throw in facts that make you think there's an exception you forgot about or they're trying to point at something), whereas I didn't have these issues with the ones out of the book from class we used.

Bobby_Axelrod

New

Post by Bobby_Axelrod » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:20 pm

Is there a way I can go back and review one of the questions from the Contracts set today?

bballbb02

New

Post by bballbb02 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:42 pm

acijku2 wrote:Anyone want to explain question 13 from 1st contract problem set.

I don't really understand the rational that (1) the concert pianist is a merchant and (2) even if so, how storage of a piano for 6 months in an A/Ced warehouse is not a material addition to the contract under 2-207 (this is not even adressed in the answer explanation)

Thought the same thing about the concert pianist not being a merchant.. I knew merchant was someone who routinely dealt in the goods but I always applied it to a seller or buyer or company, etc.. I guess because he plays the piano for a living he routinely deals in the goods.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Bobby_Axelrod wrote:Is there a way I can go back and review one of the questions from the Contracts set today?
You can look in the book or just re-read through the quiz.

Bobby_Axelrod

New

Post by Bobby_Axelrod » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:46 pm

TheWalrus wrote:
Bobby_Axelrod wrote:Is there a way I can go back and review one of the questions from the Contracts set today?
Ah, ty. Didn't realize these Qs are in the book.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:52 pm

Bobby_Axelrod wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:
Ah, ty. Didn't realize these Qs are in the book.
I almost exclusively use the book and transfer my answers over later so that I get my percentiles.

Anyone notice that you can basically hit target and still be in the 60th or 70th percentile? Makes me think this whole "target" thing is flame to the extent that it's some pass / fail bright line.

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:00 am

Soooo, was anyone as thrown off by the Con Law Essay #2 as I was?
[+] Spoiler
All I could see was tort, and I sort of assumed that this was a combined tort/con law essay that they just threw into the constitutional law portion. But then the answer was all con law based (with a few discretionary bonus points thrown in for tort stuff).

Also, I tried to find some info on Libel in the CMR for conlaw and there was barely anything. And I felt like Chemerinsky was sparse in the 1A arena in general, and especially so in the 1A freedom of the press stuff. Maybe I'm just salty b/c I seem to be super weak in the 1A area, and this was the second essay in a row on the topic. :evil:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:02 am

It is beyond annoying that Barbri doesn't have a "report question" function where you can try to clarify some of their terrible explanations.

bballbb02

New

Post by bballbb02 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:44 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:Soooo, was anyone as thrown off by the Con Law Essay #2 as I was?
[+] Spoiler
All I could see was tort, and I sort of assumed that this was a combined tort/con law essay that they just threw into the constitutional law portion. But then the answer was all con law based (with a few discretionary bonus points thrown in for tort stuff).

Also, I tried to find some info on Libel in the CMR for conlaw and there was barely anything. And I felt like Chemerinsky was sparse in the 1A arena in general, and especially so in the 1A freedom of the press stuff. Maybe I'm just salty b/c I seem to be super weak in the 1A area, and this was the second essay in a row on the topic. :evil:

yes lol literally thought i was answering a tort question,, but defamation was covered at the end of the barbri lecture and all the libel/invasion of privacy fall under that and the trespass one was basivally a tort answer

Subban_Fan

New

Post by Subban_Fan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:26 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:It is beyond annoying that Barbri doesn't have a "report question" function where you can try to clarify some of their terrible explanations.
The lack of functions and the way Barbri's website is designed makes me think they majorly cheaped out on web programmers. It's like something my cousin would have built when he was 16. Or they outsourced it's design to save money.

The online MSQ looks like it's from 1999. Definitely not worth their $3000+ asking price.

Do any of you watch the lecture videos on 1.25x speed or more? I want to but my law school bar prep Professors highly "recommend against it." One told me that everyone she knew that did that flunked the Bar.

acijku2

New

Post by acijku2 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:24 pm

Subban_Fan wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:It is beyond annoying that Barbri doesn't have a "report question" function where you can try to clarify some of their terrible explanations.
The lack of functions and the way Barbri's website is designed makes me think they majorly cheaped out on web programmers. It's like something my cousin would have built when he was 16. Or they outsourced it's design to save money.

The online MSQ looks like it's from 1999. Definitely not worth their $3000+ asking price.

Do any of you watch the lecture videos on 1.25x speed or more? I want to but my law school bar prep Professors highly "recommend against it." One told me that everyone she knew that did that flunked the Bar.
I watch lectures at 1.25-1.75x depending on the topic (if I took the class and did well) or how the lecturer teaches (is he repeating himself a lot and reading off handout verbatim).

While it makes sense that a lot of people who do speed up the videos don't pass I think that's a correlation without causation. I can image those who don't take studying seriously would be likely to speed up the videos and not pay attention. However, it is very possible to actively listen and retain the info at higher speeds. You end up saving up to an hour every day and that extra time can be used to stay up with the completion of assignments and review areas needing improvement.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”