July 2017 -- Barbri UBE Hangout Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
RDA2930

New

Re: July 2017 -- Barbri UBE Hangout

Post by RDA2930 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:12 pm

acijku2 wrote:
Subban_Fan wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:It is beyond annoying that Barbri doesn't have a "report question" function where you can try to clarify some of their terrible explanations.
The lack of functions and the way Barbri's website is designed makes me think they majorly cheaped out on web programmers. It's like something my cousin would have built when he was 16. Or they outsourced it's design to save money.

The online MSQ looks like it's from 1999. Definitely not worth their $3000+ asking price.

Do any of you watch the lecture videos on 1.25x speed or more? I want to but my law school bar prep Professors highly "recommend against it." One told me that everyone she knew that did that flunked the Bar.
I watch lectures at 1.25-1.75x depending on the topic (if I took the class and did well) or how the lecturer teaches (is he repeating himself a lot and reading off handout verbatim).

While it makes sense that a lot of people who do speed up the videos don't pass I think that's a correlation without causation. I can image those who don't take studying seriously would be likely to speed up the videos and not pay attention. However, it is very possible to actively listen and retain the info at higher speeds. You end up saving up to an hour every day and that extra time can be used to stay up with the completion of assignments and review areas needing improvement.
Yep, +1 to the above. I learn better by writing, outlining, and doing practice problems, not by listening, so I speed it up but make sure to spend extra time studying the lecture notes and outlines. Depending on the instructor I might watch it on 1.75 or 2x, and use the time I save to make flashcards/outline the topic/work on weak areas.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:35 am

RDA2930 wrote:
acijku2 wrote:
Subban_Fan wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:It is beyond annoying that Barbri doesn't have a "report question" function where you can try to clarify some of their terrible explanations.
The lack of functions and the way Barbri's website is designed makes me think they majorly cheaped out on web programmers. It's like something my cousin would have built when he was 16. Or they outsourced it's design to save money.

The online MSQ looks like it's from 1999. Definitely not worth their $3000+ asking price.

Do any of you watch the lecture videos on 1.25x speed or more? I want to but my law school bar prep Professors highly "recommend against it." One told me that everyone she knew that did that flunked the Bar.
I watch lectures at 1.25-1.75x depending on the topic (if I took the class and did well) or how the lecturer teaches (is he repeating himself a lot and reading off handout verbatim).

While it makes sense that a lot of people who do speed up the videos don't pass I think that's a correlation without causation. I can image those who don't take studying seriously would be likely to speed up the videos and not pay attention. However, it is very possible to actively listen and retain the info at higher speeds. You end up saving up to an hour every day and that extra time can be used to stay up with the completion of assignments and review areas needing improvement.
Yep, +1 to the above. I learn better by writing, outlining, and doing practice problems, not by listening, so I speed it up but make sure to spend extra time studying the lecture notes and outlines. Depending on the instructor I might watch it on 1.75 or 2x, and use the time I save to make flashcards/outline the topic/work on weak areas.
Having tutored for Barbri, the critical factor here is demographic. If you grew up in New York City, you're used to processing speech at a different speed than if you grew up in Mississippi. Playing videos at 1x may be harder for a New Yorker to follow, and even the lecturers themselves reflect this. Paula Franzese at 1x is basically Cherminsky at 1.5, and at above 1.5 she sounds like a mouse. It's because she's a New Yorker.

Subban_Fan

New

Post by Subban_Fan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:57 pm

Having tutored for Barbri, the critical factor here is demographic. If you grew up in New York City, you're used to processing speech at a different speed than if you grew up in Mississippi. Playing videos at 1x may be harder for a New Yorker to follow, and even the lecturers themselves reflect this. Paula Franzese at 1x is basically Cherminsky at 1.5, and at above 1.5 she sounds like a mouse. It's because she's a New Yorker.
Loved the Brooklyn accent she dropped in the first video. :lol:
Yeah, I learn better from doing practice problems and writing too. The videos haven't allowed me much time to review the lecture notes (usually I go straight to the practice problems, assessments and essays so I don't fall behind on the actual "work"). I might have to switch it up now, and review the lecture notes as a priority now because I seem to be struggling with the MBE assignments. I might just be slower than you guys though, I can't seem to watch the videos, do the MPQ assignments + essay assignments and still have time to review the entire lecture outlines.

bda

New

Post by bda » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:18 pm

The simulated MBE is this Friday (at least for those of us taking the NY course). I'm doing an online only course but the schedule says to see Barbri.com for location details. I'm assuming that means we should be taking it at an assigned location... how do we find out where?

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:16 pm

bda wrote:The simulated MBE is this Friday (at least for those of us taking the NY course). I'm doing an online only course but the schedule says to see Barbri.com for location details. I'm assuming that means we should be taking it at an assigned location... how do we find out where?
Click the info link and there is a list of locations. Here's a direct link - not sure if it will work outside of the system.
http://esc.barbri.com/viewFile.html?id= ... b4cab1bf5f

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bda

New

Post by bda » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:28 pm

de minimis wrote:
bda wrote:The simulated MBE is this Friday (at least for those of us taking the NY course). I'm doing an online only course but the schedule says to see Barbri.com for location details. I'm assuming that means we should be taking it at an assigned location... how do we find out where?
Click the info link and there is a list of locations. Here's a direct link - not sure if it will work outside of the system.
Thanks!

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:45 pm

bda wrote:
de minimis wrote:
Thanks!
Does anyone know if we have to take it at one of the locations? And if so, do we need to put our names on some list?

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:20 pm

FormerChild wrote:
bda wrote:
de minimis wrote:
Thanks!
Does anyone know if we have to take it at one of the locations? And if so, do we need to put our names on some list?
I'm planning on taking it from home. Just kind of assumed that would be possible, but not sure. Is the test in any of our books?

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:05 pm

de minimis wrote:
FormerChild wrote:
bda wrote:
de minimis wrote:
Thanks!
I'm planning on taking it from home. Just kind of assumed that would be possible, but not sure. Is the test in any of our books?
Yea it's in the grey MBS book I believe

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:38 am

FormerChild wrote:
de minimis wrote:
FormerChild wrote:
bda wrote:
de minimis wrote:
Thanks!
Whats the MBS book? Skimmed through the MBE practice question book and didnt see it in there.

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:51 am

It's its own book.

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 am

de minimis wrote:
FormerChild wrote:
de minimis wrote:
FormerChild wrote:
bda wrote:
de minimis wrote:
Thanks!
Whats the MBS book? Skimmed through the MBE practice question book and didnt see it in there.
My mistake, it's not called MBS, rather it's called the MSE book. It's grey and says Simulated MBE right on it

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:36 pm

My mistake, it's not called MBS, rather it's called the MSE book. It's grey and says Simulated MBE right on it
Found it - it wasn't with all my other books. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bballbb02

New

Post by bballbb02 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:05 pm

I am starting to think the percentiles are skewed based in when you did the sets, so if you do the sets during a week with smarter people your percentile is lower and vice versa which makes me want to rely on the study smart percentile's more because that is cumulative and not based off one week like the ranks are on the psp..so if you enter your scores a week late it can mess up the psp ranks and put you at a lower or higher rank and scare you or give you false security

Also, seems weird to judge rank off one set whereas in study smart it is cumulative

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:54 am

bballbb02 wrote:I am starting to think the percentiles are skewed based in when you did the sets, so if you do the sets during a week with smarter people your percentile is lower and vice versa which makes me want to rely on the study smart percentile's more because that is cumulative and not based off one week like the ranks are on the psp..so if you enter your scores a week late it can mess up the psp ranks and put you at a lower or higher rank and scare you or give you false security

Also, seems weird to judge rank off one set whereas in study smart it is cumulative
This seems to be the case. I imagine after everyone takes the practice MBE this week that we'll have much more useful and representative percentiles to go on

esrom55

Bronze

Post by esrom55 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:49 am

bballbb02 wrote:I am starting to think the percentiles are skewed based in when you did the sets, so if you do the sets during a week with smarter people your percentile is lower and vice versa which makes me want to rely on the study smart percentile's more because that is cumulative and not based off one week like the ranks are on the psp..so if you enter your scores a week late it can mess up the psp ranks and put you at a lower or higher rank and scare you or give you false security

Woah. I had no idea about the study smart percentiles. Thanks!

JustaQ

New

Post by JustaQ » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:27 am

1. My torts percentage is only around 68%, but the studysmart MBE has me in the 95th percentile. That seems crazy, and is higher than subjects where I'm hitting on 75-80% of the questions. Anyone else have a comparable result?

2. Are the percentiles compared to ALL Barbri users, all Barbri UBE users, or all Barbri UBE users in the specific ube jurisdiction?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bda

New

Post by bda » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:37 am

Where do you view the StudySmart percentiles?

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:36 pm

You can find StudySmart percentiles after submitting your answers by clicking around in the results options. It's annoying that you can't go back into StudySmart after closing out of it to view the percentiles unless you reenter your answers (which I don't do for fear that they may mess up the percentiles).

The StudySmart percentiles are pretty accurate from what I've gathered. They're based on all students who've done those questions. As such I don't think the practice MBE this Friday will yield percentiles that are more useful than the current ones, but they'll be another metric to track progress I guess.

esrom55

Bronze

Post by esrom55 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:08 pm

Toubro wrote:You can find StudySmart percentiles after submitting your answers by clicking around in the results options. It's annoying that you can't go back into StudySmart after closing out of it to view the percentiles unless you reenter your answers (which I don't do for fear that they may mess up the percentiles).

The StudySmart percentiles are pretty accurate from what I've gathered. They're based on all students who've done those questions. As such I don't think the practice MBE this Friday will yield percentiles that are more useful than the current ones, but they'll be another metric to track progress I guess.

You can get to the percentiles by clicking on the gear icon via the PSP homepage.It's the first option for me on the dropdown menu.

Bobby_Axelrod

New

Post by Bobby_Axelrod » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:21 pm

esrom55 wrote:

You can get to the percentiles by clicking on the gear icon via the PSP homepage.It's the first option for me on the dropdown menu.
Ahhhh. Thank you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:47 pm

esrom55 wrote:
Toubro wrote:You can find StudySmart percentiles after submitting your answers by clicking around in the results options. It's annoying that you can't go back into StudySmart after closing out of it to view the percentiles unless you reenter your answers (which I don't do for fear that they may mess up the percentiles).

Hmm my first option is Early Start. I'll call them tomorrow so thanks for the tip!

sam91

Bronze

Post by sam91 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:10 pm

Toubro wrote:
Hmm my first option is Early Start. I'll call them tomorrow so thanks for the tip!

You can view the Study Smart percentiles at any time.

When at the personal study plan home page, click the gear icon in the upper right hand corner to display the dropdown menu. Then click the link for "StudySmart MBE". That will bring you to study smart. Then, after it loads, hit the orange tab that says "View Results", which will then pop up another page. On that page, click Percentile Rank. Those percentiles are updated nightly.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:19 pm

sam91 wrote:
Toubro wrote:

You can view the Study Smart percentiles at any time.

When at the personal study plan home page, click the gear icon in the upper right hand corner to display the dropdown menu. Then click the link for "StudySmart MBE". That will bring you to study smart. Then, after it loads, hit the orange tab that says "View Results", which will then pop up another page. On that page, click Percentile Rank. Those percentiles are updated nightly.
Yeah I tried I just don't have the option dropping down from the gear. But I was able to get to it from the Enrolled Student Center! Thanks!

sam91

Bronze

Post by sam91 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:35 am

Toubro wrote: Yeah I tried I just don't have the option dropping down from the gear. But I was able to get to it from the Enrolled Student Center! Thanks!
Ah ok. My bad.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”