Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Love With The Coco

New

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Post by Love With The Coco » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Are the MBE practice test questions in the MBE quiz builder set?

In other words, could I ruin my practice tests by using the quiz builder in advance?

screwtapeletters

New

Post by screwtapeletters » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Puffman1234 wrote:I'm at around 26%, although I haven't followed the directed study perfectly (I skipped ahead on a few of the lectures because I was anxious about getting the material into my head early--not a good idea, better to take it slow and steady). The 26% is also somewhat illusory in that I've been cheating by telling the program that I've read the MBE outlines when I have at the very most skimmed them.

I'm glad to see some others are around where I am. I started about 2.5 weeks late (Texas), so today marks the end of my second week of studying. I've only managed to get to two of the graded essays and the due date for the first 3 + the practice MPT is next Tuesday. I don't know if I can get those in but I guess I should probably skip ahead just to try to get my practice MPT graded? The directed study right now doesn't even have me looking at MPT material until after the 20th.

This has so far been a very isolating experience for me, so this post is kind of long/venting/getting the weight off my chest. I actually graduated in May 2015, but have deferred taking the bar until now due to a couple of employment opportunities. This means I don't know anyone in real life who is going through this same process and with whom I could commiserate or vent . I just sit here and study alone all day every day.

Now that I've done about 5 or 6 sets of the real MBE PQs I can see what the questions are like I'm less anxious than I was. Similarly, the practice essay sample answers are very simple and give me greater confidence that I can churn out acceptable answers (although I still don't know any of the law by memory).

What I think would be really helpful is better final review outlines. If I had a condensed 5-7 page outline for each of the Texas exam subjects that I could just memorize I feel like my retention would be vastly improved. But to get a decent outline like that requires I make them myself, and I'm not sure if that's a good use of my time. I'm beginning to think it probably is. The same doesn't yet seem to apply to the MBE subjects because so far I think I've been ok just noting the rules I miss in the MBE practice problems. I have a set of the MBE critical pass flashcards but I've never been a flashcard user so I'm still not sure if I should invest time in that or just read the outlines.

The thing I struggle with is that I simply can't read everything first and THEN practice. The tired of cliche about the marathon really does apply. I've always preferred to just get everything into my head before applying it, but I think trying to do that here would backfire spectacularly given the huge body of information that has to be digested.

Anyways, good luck to everyone. I'm glad I found this thread and can at least commiserate with some others who are dealing with this anachronistic hazing ritual bullshit.
I started a week earlier than you did and am only at 26.5%. So don't worry about it!!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:Yeah I'm in the 20s too :( I think I'll hit 30 tomorrow finally.
I'm only at 29.7%, so I wouldn't sweat it y'all. I did the math, and I'm still on pace to easily hit 75% if I don't take too many days off.

screwtapeletters

New

Post by screwtapeletters » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Is it only me or is anyone else bothered by Jeffries' pronunciation of "Defen-danngt"?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:I could probably do Clark at 2.5 if it was possible haha. Also helps that Torts is probably the best thing I've retained from 1L.
Yea, Clark talked really slow. I couldn't watch it at normal speed.(I tried because the app didn't allow me to speed it up when I was on the plane)

I agree that Torts is the easiest subject for me. It helps that I did work for a PI firm during law school on negligence, negligence per se, and products liability.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:56 pm

Puffman, just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one who quickly skims the outlines and clicks "complete" just to get it marked as done in the system. I basically just look at the topic headings, marinate for a bit, and then go right into the lecture handouts.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:25 am

Anyone repeaters having trouble with essay recognition? I have remembered almost every essay that has been assigned so far, and I am concerned that I may be caught off guard when I have to face new scenarios on exam today.

Also, curious as to how many Illinois takers are on board this time around? This exam is WAY harder than it used to be in our state.

ETA: I read through the lecture handouts instead of the long outlines. This is far more manageable and gives you a good primer for the materials ahead. Its hard to imagine anyone really has the time to read the outlines in their entirety, let alone retain that much information.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:47 am

Steve2207 wrote:Anyone repeaters having trouble with essay recognition? I have remembered almost every essay that has been assigned so far, and I am concerned that I may be caught off guard when I have to face new scenarios on exam today.

Also, curious as to how many Illinois takers are on board this time around? This exam is WAY harder than it used to be in our state.

ETA: I read through the lecture handouts instead of the long outlines. This is far more manageable and gives you a good primer for the materials ahead. Its hard to imagine anyone really has the time to read the outlines in their entirety, let alone retain that much information.
Not a repeater, but I'm Illinois. And I'm in agreement here!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:36 am

cron1834 wrote:Puffman, just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one who quickly skims the outlines and clicks "complete" just to get it marked as done in the system. I basically just look at the topic headings, marinate for a bit, and then go right into the lecture handouts.
I'm not even doing that much. I just hit complete without reading it, watch the lectures, and then see what topics I'm struggling with when I get questions and practice essays. I then write those topics down to review later (in July).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

esther0123

Bronze

Post by esther0123 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:48 am

How is everyone generally doing on MBE PQ's? I hit the goal but I'm not sure if hitting the goal is enough to pass :( paraoid?

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:07 pm

I just decided I'm going to switch over to flex. Their distribution of work just isn't working for me. I'm gonna push through but in my own way. A friend of mine is also going to do that. Just something to think about.

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:15 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:I just decided I'm going to switch over to flex. Their distribution of work just isn't working for me. I'm gonna push through but in my own way. A friend of mine is also going to do that. Just something to think about.
Doing the same. I hate how much they assign everyday. It de-motivates me. I'm going to follow the lecture schedule so that I finish the lectures before July 4th, but other than that going to do my own thing.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Yeah I had to switch to flex to make sure I was getting to topics in time for graded essays - I'm only at 30% and directed study would have me start a topic's lectures after the corresponding graded essay is due. I'm just doing my own thing while I try to catch up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Likewise doing flex. Maybe this is dumb, but I'm prioritizing getting through material that I literally never learned in law school over doing practice questions and essays. Should still have time to do 3 weeks worth of question sets/essays in July while I fill in the gaps they reveal.

Law4lyf

New

Post by Law4lyf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Just checking in at 36% . I started May 22. What percentage are the other may 22 people up to?

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Law4lyf wrote:Just checking in at 36% . I started May 22. What percentage are the other may 22 people up to?
I'll be at ~38% if I finish everything they assign today (not likely as it's Sunday).

Law4lyf

New

Post by Law4lyf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:36 pm

MelaPela wrote:
Law4lyf wrote:Just checking in at 36% . I started May 22. What percentage are the other may 22 people up to?
I'll be at ~38% if I finish everything they assign today (not likely as it's Sunday).
Have you met the goal every day? Or are you running behind as well?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Law4lyf wrote:
MelaPela wrote:
Running behind. I took a few days off for a bachelorette party and caught up a bit, but definitely not at where the original prescribed schedule for a May 22 start date says we should be.

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:50 pm

MelaPela wrote:
Same boat. At 37.1% and they want me to do 1% more today. That seems doubtful, might do another task or two in the evening. Feeling a little burnt out as people on this page have mentioned, especially with the essays.

What's most discouraging is that I have 8 or 9 more subjects to go.

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:53 pm

whats an updog wrote:
MelaPela wrote:
Same boat. At 37.1% and they want me to do 1% more today. That seems doubtful, might do another task or two in the evening. Feeling a little burnt out as people on this page have mentioned, especially with the essays.

Agreed with feeling burnt out. I have been doing less bar studying and more fun stuff everyday as a result to try and get motivated again. I'm going to view finishing the MBE subjects as a big achievement (still have to do the lectures for Crim Pro and Con Law). Less concerned about the pure MEE subjects right now.

Law4lyf

New

Post by Law4lyf » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:10 pm

MelaPela wrote:
whats an updog wrote:
MelaPela wrote:

Agreed with feeling burnt out. I have been doing less bar studying and more fun stuff everyday as a result to try and get motivated again. I'm going to view finishing the MBE subjects as a big achievement (still have to do the lectures for Crim Pro and Con Law). Less concerned about the pure MEE subjects right now.
Evidence is the real killer. Videos were a waste of time and now I am going back to read the dense outline. It's not so bad....only fifty pages

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

J-english

New

Post by J-english » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:11 pm

MelaPela wrote:
Law4lyf wrote:
MelaPela wrote:
Running behind. I took a few days off for a bachelorette party and caught up a bit, but definitely not at where the original prescribed schedule for a May 22 start date says we should be.

I started on May 22nd and have managed to stay on top of the recommended schedule.... granted I don't do more then read the outlines for clarification and I will finish today at 43.4%. I also don't have a life and work better when I can spread things out and have shorter days then having a full day off.

Puffman1234

New

Post by Puffman1234 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:14 pm

cron1834 wrote:Likewise doing flex. Maybe this is dumb, but I'm prioritizing getting through material that I literally never learned in law school over doing practice questions and essays. Should still have time to do 3 weeks worth of question sets/essays in July while I fill in the gaps they reveal.
That's how I feel. There are like 20 Texas specific subjects and I only took 1 or 2 of them in law school (actually, now that I think of it, the only one I took in law school was business associations). On the other hand, I did take Evidence, lots of Con Law, and both sides of Crim Pro, so I'm putting those on the backburner for now.

My experience reading the Texas outlines has been that I frequently have no fucking clue what's going on upon first read. After I let it percolate for a few days it makes a lot more sense, but nothing really coalesces until I see the law in action in the sample essay answers. Reading a rule statement about something I know nothing about is practically meaningless, and almost impossible to remember. I wouldn't mind having an example for every rule statement, but I can see why Themis wouldn't want to double or triple the outline lengths. The issue is somewhat alleviated for the subjects with decent lecturers, i.e., the ones who provide examples and explanations of concepts. However, many of the lecturers just read the outline material, frequently in a completely different order from the layout in the book. Those lectures are huge wastes of time.

My directed study schedule for today is 5x MBE practices sets + the first MBE exam. That's like a full MBE. I'm definitely not doing that. I'll do like 2-3 of the practice sets and then some lectures on a new subject instead.

Does anyone else feel like they're not really remembering the BLL with precision, or don't really fully understand all the concepts, yet are still doing fairly well on the basis of educated guessing? I've been getting pretty decent practice MBE scores but I don't feel like I actually know anything. What I mean is that if you asked me one of the MBE questions but didn't give me 4 options to pick from I don't think I could actually answer a single question.
Last edited by Puffman1234 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:38 pm

Not in Texas, but also not in UBE. Man I wish I was in a UBE state.

Tati718

New

Post by Tati718 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:43 am

J-english wrote:Is anyone else having trouble sleeping? I swear I feel like my brain is in overdrive and I can't get it to shut down. Any suggestions?
Exercise helps a lot. I started running because my sleep has been off and my face is breaking out so badly (maybe tmi but new pimples appear as the day goes on). Our brains are constantly active yet we're sitting the majority of the day; exercise helps our bodies "catch up." It also helps to relieve some of the stress.

I have also limited my non-bar prep related screen time AND listen to audiobooks for about 30min before bedtime. Hope this helps.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”