Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
robin600

Gold

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Post by robin600 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:02 pm

uceoledinbdnrn wrote:
robin600 wrote:So apparently Themis thinks we don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy in our bank statements? Anyone else thinks that's crazy?
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ne/282721/

third party doctrine goes hard. #neverforget #SnowdenWasWrong
Stupid Burger Court...

uceoledinbdnrn

Bronze

Post by uceoledinbdnrn » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:07 pm

robin600 wrote:
uceoledinbdnrn wrote:
robin600 wrote:So apparently Themis thinks we don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy in our bank statements? Anyone else thinks that's crazy?

Stupid Burger Court...

*shrug emoji*

It's a pretty powerful tool for fighting white collar crime and if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Why should you be able to keep information secret from the government that you turn over voluntarily to for-profit companies?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:33 pm

uceoledinbdnrn wrote:
robin600 wrote:
uceoledinbdnrn wrote:

Stupid Burger Court...

*shrug emoji*

It's a pretty powerful tool for fighting white collar crime and if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Why should you be able to keep information secret from the government that you turn over voluntarily to for-profit companies?
I guess it was pretty baller practicing in a state with a financial privacy act...

IronCobra

New

Post by IronCobra » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:53 pm

uceoledinbdnrn wrote:
robin600 wrote:
uceoledinbdnrn wrote:

Stupid Burger Court...

*shrug emoji*

Nobody is saying you should be able to keep it a secret. The question is whether the government should have to get a warrant.

saywhat88

New

Post by saywhat88 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:27 pm

MelaPela wrote:
cho8583 wrote:
honeyybee wrote:
champloo wrote:
villanovajew wrote:Did anyone take Mixed MBE PQ 12 and 13 yet? I thought they were significantly easier than the previous couple.... I got 70% and 76% after getting around 62-64% on the previous few.
i did a bit below avg on 13, and a bit above avg for 12. i was very distracted for pq 13 so whatever. 14 killed me. got 10% below my avg score. this inconsistency is killing me. getting around 70-80 on adaptibar. so basically ive scored between 55% and 80% over the past 6 exam sets (mix b/w themis and ab). i've decided to spend some more time studying for the essays over the next few days in case the mbe fucks me over.
I'm in the same boat. I've been scoring around 55-60% on the MBE practice sets but have been scoring 80-82% in NON-themis materials (Adaptibar + Stategies and Tactics). It's incredibly frustrating and anxiety inducing. I also focused on essays today because the inconsistency is driving me insane!
As I previously mentioned in the thread, I have no idea why it is completely opposite for me; I find Adaptibar, S&T are much harder than Themis!
I was doing really well on the S&T subject-specific questions but started to do some questions from the AM/PM MBE and am scoring wayyy lower than Themis. My last Themis sets I was at around 70%. I did 30 questions from the AM MBE today and came to just 57%. Ugh.
dude, same!! i was doing fine in the sub specific questions for ST. I just finished the AM portion and got 52%. I'm freaking the f out. i literally just got 70% in a themis set yesterday... does anyone have any insight as to these questions. like shit

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:56 pm

saywhat88 wrote:
MelaPela wrote:
cho8583 wrote:
honeyybee wrote:
champloo wrote:
villanovajew wrote:Did anyone take Mixed MBE PQ 12 and 13 yet? I thought they were significantly easier than the previous couple.... I got 70% and 76% after getting around 62-64% on the previous few.
i did a bit below avg on 13, and a bit above avg for 12. i was very distracted for pq 13 so whatever. 14 killed me. got 10% below my avg score. this inconsistency is killing me. getting around 70-80 on adaptibar. so basically ive scored between 55% and 80% over the past 6 exam sets (mix b/w themis and ab). i've decided to spend some more time studying for the essays over the next few days in case the mbe fucks me over.
I'm in the same boat. I've been scoring around 55-60% on the MBE practice sets but have been scoring 80-82% in NON-themis materials (Adaptibar + Stategies and Tactics). It's incredibly frustrating and anxiety inducing. I also focused on essays today because the inconsistency is driving me insane!
As I previously mentioned in the thread, I have no idea why it is completely opposite for me; I find Adaptibar, S&T are much harder than Themis!
I was doing really well on the S&T subject-specific questions but started to do some questions from the AM/PM MBE and am scoring wayyy lower than Themis. My last Themis sets I was at around 70%. I did 30 questions from the AM MBE today and came to just 57%. Ugh.
dude, same!! i was doing fine in the sub specific questions for ST. I just finished the AM portion and got 52%. I'm freaking the f out. i literally just got 70% in a themis set yesterday... does anyone have any insight as to these questions. like shit
I felt like shit yesterday. Finished the rest of the questions in the AM portion today and ended at a 63%, which didn't make me feel that much better. BUT, am looking at it as a learning opportunity since the ST explanations are so much better. I wrote down all of the rules for the questions I got wrong to help me remember them in the future. Don't freak out!!! :)
Last edited by MelaPela on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bass

New

Post by Bass » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:56 pm

If there are multiple junior interests in a security interest or a mortgage, how are the sales proceeds surplus allocated amongst the junior interest holders again? Is it pari passu or is that from insolvency?

I know I really should know this was law school, but still.... :oops:

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Bass wrote:If there are multiple junior interests in a security interest or a mortgage, how are the sales proceeds surplus allocated amongst the junior interest holders again? Is it pari passu or is that from insolvency?

I know I really should know this was law school, but still.... :oops:
Don't think it's pari passu - I think among the junior interests, proceeds will satisfy the interest from most senior to most junior.

Edit: Just checked Themis outline and it says as much - "The proceeds from a foreclosure sale are applied first to the costs associated with the sale, second to the balance and interest of the mortgage obligation being foreclosed, and third to the mortgage obligations owed to junior interest holders in the order of the priority of their interest."

uceoledinbdnrn

Bronze

Post by uceoledinbdnrn » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Mixed practice set 5: 84%

:D :D :D :D Autopass city here I come

Mixed practice set 6: 64%

:? :? :x :x

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

saywhat88

New

Post by saywhat88 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:22 pm

MelaPela wrote:
saywhat88 wrote:
MelaPela wrote:
cho8583 wrote:
honeyybee wrote:
champloo wrote:
I felt like shit yesterday. Finished the rest of the questions in the AM portion today and ended at a 63%, which didn't make me feel that much better. BUT, am looking at it as a learning opportunity since the ST explanations are so much better. I wrote down all of the rules for the questions I got wrong to help me remember them in the future. Don't freak out!!! :)
haha i dont knowwww. argh, i'm just hoping it's not like that. i felt like a lot of those questions hinged on a fact i would just accidentally gloss over. i just did the free 21 q's ncbe gives out and did well. lets hope its more like those. :)

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:24 pm

can someone please explain why somene would make a irrevocable trust over a non-revocable one?

uceoledinbdnrn

Bronze

Post by uceoledinbdnrn » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:29 pm

redsox550 wrote:can someone please explain why somene would make a irrevocable trust over a non-revocable one?
Pretty sure there are tax consequences, especially for estate tax purposes.

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:35 pm

redsox550 wrote:can someone please explain why somene would make a irrevocable trust over a non-revocable one?
If you want to maintain direct control over your assets, but still avoid probate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Anyone got any hot tips for crystallizing remedies in these last few days? It's the only subject that causes me to stare blankly at the essay prompt wondering -- how should I organize this, are incidental damages compensatory or consequential or their thing, etc?

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:15 pm

whats an updog wrote:Anyone got any hot tips for crystallizing remedies in these last few days? It's the only subject that causes me to stare blankly at the essay prompt wondering -- how should I organize this, are incidental damages compensatory or consequential or their thing, etc?
I felt similarly. Then, I relistened to the lectures and wrote out the remedies essay workshop outline by hand. It seemed way less overwhelming.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:42 pm

whats an updog wrote:Anyone got any hot tips for crystallizing remedies in these last few days? It's the only subject that causes me to stare blankly at the essay prompt wondering -- how should I organize this, are incidental damages compensatory or consequential or their thing, etc?
Remedies isn't an option for me on my state's essay, but I took it as a class in LS. I don't know how they organize Remedies essay questions, so my advice might be shit here. But I'd organize it by cause of action (if applicable). If you can't do it that way, organize it by type of Remedy and sub-group within that. Such as:
I. Legal Remedies
A. Damages
i. Compensatory Damages
ii. Punitive Damages
iii. Special Damages

II. Equitable Remedies
A. Injunction
B. Declaratory Relief

And you can create sub-sub-parts in addition to that. If this isn't helpful, send me an example of a Remedies essay in a PM, and I might be able to offer better advice.(can't make any guarantees, though, because I am just another recent grad trying to blindly feel my way to a passing grade)

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:14 pm

saywhat88 wrote:
haha i dont knowwww. argh, i'm just hoping it's not like that. i felt like a lot of those questions hinged on a fact i would just accidentally gloss over. i just did the free 21 q's ncbe gives out and did well. lets hope its more like those. :)
The ST civ pro questions killed me. Hopefully the actual MBE doesn't have super long questions like those - UGH. Going to try the 50 of the PM questions tomorrow and see how it goes. Fingers crossed for us!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:13 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
I felt similarly. Then, I relistened to the lectures and wrote out the remedies essay workshop outline by hand. It seemed way less overwhelming.
Thanks, I think this was good advice for me since I tend to learn well from listening, I just needed a push in that direction.
lavarman84 wrote:
Remedies isn't an option for me on my state's essay, but I took it as a class in LS. I don't know how they organize Remedies essay questions, so my advice might be shit here. But I'd organize it by cause of action (if applicable). If you can't do it that way, organize it by type of Remedy and sub-group within that. Such as:
I. Legal Remedies
A. Damages
i. Compensatory Damages
ii. Punitive Damages
iii. Special Damages

II. Equitable Remedies
A. Injunction
B. Declaratory Relief

And you can create sub-sub-parts in addition to that. If this isn't helpful, send me an example of a Remedies essay in a PM, and I might be able to offer better advice.(can't make any guarantees, though, because I am just another recent grad trying to blindly feel my way to a passing grade)
Thanks for the organizational tip & offer. I think you are pretty close to the money on organization absent a few types (restitution, reliance, nominal), though you may have understood these to go in there somewhere as subheadings. I think following yeslek's advice, I'll be relatively ok. I hope.

uceoledinbdnrn

Bronze

Post by uceoledinbdnrn » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:11 am

Does apparent authority have to be an express communication from one party to another? Or if someone's acting in a capacity that would suggest they have authority is that enough to create apparent authority as long as it's reasonable to think so according to custom etc...?

I ask because Question ID: 361* seemed like you could find liability on both contracts under a theory of apparent authority but the model answer suggests that you'd need to resort to estoppel.

Fact pattern is someone owns a restaurant and is secretly bought out by an owner who instructs her not to enter into certain types of contracts but keeps her in charge of the place. She promptly goes and enters into those contracts and hilarity ensues.

Law4lyf

New

Post by Law4lyf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:09 am

Can someone explain to me the risk of loss rules? So for example, if the parties agree in a contract FOB seller then we don't have to run the 4 part analysis correct(Terms of agreement,
breach, courier, merchant nonmerchant)?

Pilking76

New

Post by Pilking76 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:29 am

uceoledinbdnrn wrote:Does apparent authority have to be an express communication from one party to another? Or if someone's acting in a capacity that would suggest they have authority is that enough to create apparent authority as long as it's reasonable to think so according to custom etc...?

I ask because Question ID: 361* seemed like you could find liability on both contracts under a theory of apparent authority but the model answer suggests that you'd need to resort to estoppel.

Fact pattern is someone owns a restaurant and is secretly bought out by an owner who instructs her not to enter into certain types of contracts but keeps her in charge of the place. She promptly goes and enters into those contracts and hilarity ensues.
Apparent authority doesn't need to be from express communication from the principal to the third party. For example, if the principal makes the agent's title Chief Officer of Sales, a third party will take the designation by the principal as the agent having apparent authority to enter into sales contracts. Estoppel may just be another means by which the principal can be said to be liable on the contract and thats why it was discussed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

champloo

Bronze

Post by champloo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:22 am

Law4lyf wrote:Can someone explain to me the risk of loss rules? So for example, if the parties agree in a contract FOB seller then we don't have to run the 4 part analysis correct(Terms of agreement,
lol im so fucked. When i see risk of loss its either shipment/destination/equitable conversion and choose whatever sounds right. I had no idea there was some sort of 4 step analysis.

quirky

New

Post by quirky » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:15 am

champloo wrote:
Law4lyf wrote:Can someone explain to me the risk of loss rules? So for example, if the parties agree in a contract FOB seller then we don't have to run the 4 part analysis correct(Terms of agreement,
lol im so fucked. When i see risk of loss its either shipment/destination/equitable conversion and choose whatever sounds right. I had no idea there was some sort of 4 step analysis.
Hahaha, same here. But I thought I kind of understood the rules until I read that post.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:24 am

quirky wrote:
champloo wrote:
Hahaha, same here. But I thought I kind of understood the rules until I read that post.
The way I understand it is the FOB k doesn't control unless 1) the parties didn't agree beforehand who will bear the risk of loss, and 2) one of the parties didn't breach. Only then does it matter if it's a shipment or delivery contract. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

2014applicant

New

Post by 2014applicant » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:34 am

Can anybody explain how you would use a prior judgment against a defendant for non-impeachment purposes? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around when it wouldn't be character evidence.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”