Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MelaPela

New

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2017

Post by MelaPela » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:44 am

First time poster here, checking in. Using Themis for the NY bar this July, and started May 22.

Already unsure I can keep up the diligent work for 8 weeks. I keep hoping that the subjects will "click" as I go through the MBE practice sets, but no luck yet. :? Anyone else thinking about using Adaptibar to supplement? As we move onto diff subjects I'm considering getting it to continue reviewing subjects we might not see again for awhile on Themis's schedule.

Brobot

New

Post by Brobot » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:00 am

MelaPela wrote:First time poster here, checking in. Using Themis for the NY bar this July, and started May 22.

Already unsure I can keep up the diligent work for 8 weeks. I keep hoping that the subjects will "click" as I go through the MBE practice sets, but no luck yet. :? Anyone else thinking about using Adaptibar to supplement? As we move onto diff subjects I'm considering getting it to continue reviewing subjects we might not see again for awhile on Themis's schedule.
Welcome. And I know the feeling on the practice sets - hang in there.

For supplements, I do not recommend Adaptibar.

[Previous post edited after being contacted by Adaptibar.]
Last edited by Brobot on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:12 am

Slytherpuff wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:I'm on Chapter 9 of California's Community Property Series. I want to gauge out my eyes.

I'm no where near meeting what Themis assigned for today. GAH.
I've had days like that. Hang in there! You can catch up tomorrow, and Themis will recalibrate its study schedule for you!
Sounds like you're repping Themis. Lol.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:25 am

yeslekkkk wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:I'm on Chapter 9 of California's Community Property Series. I want to gauge out my eyes.

I'm no where near meeting what Themis assigned for today. GAH.
I've had days like that. Hang in there! You can catch up tomorrow, and Themis will recalibrate its study schedule for you!
Sounds like you're repping Themis. Lol.
:lol: I've liked it so far, so I think I definitely praise it more than necessary. Give me a few more weeks to drum up some resentment!

blaze1306

Bronze

Post by blaze1306 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:39 am

robin600 wrote:How did everyone do on the graded essays? I know they always grade harsh at the beginning to put a fire under our butts, but I nabbed almost all of the issues, my answer matched the statements of the sample answer, and had great comments (including great job) from my grader despite a score below 40. Hmmm....

On the other hand - These property MBE questions are kicking my a**. I don't know who owns Blackacre and I don't give AF.

LOL! Blackacre can kiss my blacka$$! I work in contracts so I cant read anything into my score (67%), I still missed some issues. I am concerned I am bombing a lot of tort issues of all things..."kinda" knowing 3 out of 4 elements or exceptions isn't cutting it. I just started civ pro and it also is giving me issues...26.4% overall course progress. There is no way I will get to the goal but trudging on!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:33 am

Brobot wrote:
MelaPela wrote:First time poster here, checking in. Using Themis for the NY bar this July, and started May 22.

For supplements, I've been using Critical Pass flashcards and doing extra practice sets with Adaptibar. I'm a big fan of the approach so far - I definitely need the extra repetition. If you're interested, I can send you a discount code for Adaptibar ($30 off). Feel free to private message me. Or you can just ask one of your friends for a code.
I think I'll go ahead and get Adaptibar. Have a code from a friend, but thank you so much for offering.

I also have the Critical Pass flashcards and have been using them (mostly just reading and underlining/making notes with rules from practice Qs) when I'm on-the-go to review for Contracts. I've heard contradicting advice about how to use them (Some have told me to memorize every card in its entirety, which seems impossible and ridiculous considering how many cards there are. Other just say read over and over again until the high level BLL and certain nuances come to you when you see the prompt). Any thoughts on how to best use the cards?

Brobot

New

Post by Brobot » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:38 am

MelaPela wrote:
Brobot wrote:

For supplements, I've been using Critical Pass flashcards and doing extra practice sets with Adaptibar. I'm a big fan of the approach so far - I definitely need the extra repetition. If you're interested, I can send you a discount code for Adaptibar ($30 off). Feel free to private message me. Or you can just ask one of your friends for a code.
I think I'll go ahead and get Adaptibar. Have a code from a friend, but thank you so much for offering.

I also have the Critical Pass flashcards and have been using them (mostly just reading and underlining/making notes with rules from practice Qs) when I'm on-the-go to review for Contracts. I've heard contradicting advice about how to use them (Some have told me to memorize every card in its entirety, which seems impossible and ridiculous considering how many cards there are. Other just say read over and over again until the high level BLL and certain nuances come to you when you see the prompt). Any thoughts on how to best use the cards?
Yeah, I've been using them to (1) get a quick, broad overview of the material and then, after some problem sets, (2) narrowing the deck to issues that I'm missing in Adaptibar sessions. As the exam gets closer, I may try to memorize certain high-value cards (e.g., exceptions to hearsay, negligence), but memorizing all of them is probably not 'in the cards' for me.

I'm sure you'll find a system that works for you.

gruiz4047

New

Post by gruiz4047 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:50 pm

How is everyone using the Final Review Outlines?

Grahamw2

New

Post by Grahamw2 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:37 pm

robin600 wrote:How did everyone do on the graded essays? I know they always grade harsh at the beginning to put a fire under our butts, but I nabbed almost all of the issues, my answer matched the statements of the sample answer, and had great comments (including great job) from my grader despite a score below 40. Hmmm....

On the other hand - These property MBE questions are kicking my a**. I don't know who owns Blackacre and I don't give AF.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

screwtapeletters

New

Post by screwtapeletters » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:09 pm

Bruce is hard to digest :/

jennifer_42

New

Post by jennifer_42 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:14 pm

Grahamw2 wrote:

I think we can all agree that usually owners of Blackacre are crooked AF. :)

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:46 pm

Themis is alright but a couple of the fake MBE questions are pretty bad. Maybe I'll end up using a supplement after all.

screwtapeletters

New

Post by screwtapeletters » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:01 pm

why does Ide-don get so many BLLs wrong? :/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:59 pm

screwtapeletters wrote:why does Ide-don get so many BLLs wrong? :/
what subjects has he been off in? I don't always pay the best attention to his videos.

CJames33

New

Post by CJames33 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:10 am

yeslekkkk wrote:
what subjects has he been off in? I don't always pay the best attention to his videos.
Yeah...after several hours of lectures on a topic, I struggle to pay attention to his recaps on the BLL.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:39 am

blaze1306 wrote:

LOL! Blackacre can kiss my blacka$$! I work in contracts so I cant read anything into my score (67%), I still missed some issues. I am concerned I am bombing a lot of tort issues of all things..."kinda" knowing 3 out of 4 elements or exceptions isn't cutting it. I just started civ pro and it also is giving me issues...26.4% overall course progress. There is no way I will get to the goal but trudging on!
Dang! I think the graders are being super subjective at this point.... I memorized the BLL and can recite the rules by heart. Plus already have one bar exam under my belt. FML guess I gotta go back and learn how to re-write an essay to please my personalized grader :(

HCM510

New

Post by HCM510 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:55 am

As much as I have used this site in school, I made it until Bar Prep to join it. I guess I'm just looking for someone to make me feel better about the time spent. IS 40/50 hours a week enough if you're actually studying? I'm a week and a half in and I'm already exhausted and neurotic, but I'm terrified that I will fail if I don't throw myself at it. Currently running through Themis lectures so my last six weeks can be nothing but drill and essasy. That worked for me for the MPRE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:02 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
I haven't noticed Ide-Don's slip ups, except for those that the lecture handout explicitly corrects. Probably because I'm not super focused on his videos.

McElroy on the other hand makes confusing statements regarding some of the tip questions that irritate me. For example, in the philanthropist question for contracts she says that there is no consideration (which may be true, but is not immediately clear to me since the student has to take a test he doesn't otherwise have to take and score perfectly in order to perform, this seems the same as Geis's swim-to-alcatraz unilateral contracts). Or in one of the real property tip questions she says that a daughter has given a speculator NOTHING, which does not seem to be accurate, because in a jurisdiction that applies the modern trend, she has conveyed a contingent remainder (which later becomes a springing executory interest which would spring from her as the heir-grantor). Even the language in the answer explanation seems to imply this because it says that the speculator has no current possessory interest, not that the speculator has nothing. The second of these wouldn't have affected choosing the right answer, but it just seems sloppy/confusing to me. Very possible I'm just overly neurotic & wrong about these things.
HCM510 wrote:As much as I have used this site in school, I made it until Bar Prep to join it. I guess I'm just looking for someone to make me feel better about the time spent. IS 40/50 hours a week enough if you're actually studying? I'm a week and a half in and I'm already exhausted and neurotic, but I'm terrified that I will fail if I don't throw myself at it. Currently running through Themis lectures so my last six weeks can be nothing but drill and essasy. That worked for me for the MPRE.
I'm right there with you on the exhausted part. I never studied this much for law school. Your strategy is something that I've thought about doing as well and might switch over to doing. I'm worried that it might get too jumbled, but I agree practice is much more important than the lectures/BLL.

Jon_Snow

New

Post by Jon_Snow » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:16 pm

screwtapeletters wrote:Bruce is hard to digest :/
+1

Not sure if I should go back and actually read the outline

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Jon_Snow wrote:
screwtapeletters wrote:Bruce is hard to digest :/
+1

Not sure if I should go back and actually read the outline
Weirdly found that she got SLIGHTLY better towards the end. I found that the lecture handouts were enough to get a big picture understanding (Attachment / Perfection / Priority / when leases & consignment are subject to UCC 9) if you pay attention to her mnemonics. Don't think it's worth bothering with the nuances of Secured Transactions...

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:11 pm

whats an updog wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:
I haven't noticed Ide-Don's slip ups, except for those that the lecture handout explicitly corrects. Probably because I'm not super focused on his videos.

McElroy on the other hand makes confusing statements regarding some of the tip questions that irritate me. For example, in the philanthropist question for contracts she says that there is no consideration (which may be true, but is not immediately clear to me since the student has to take a test he doesn't otherwise have to take and score perfectly in order to perform, this seems the same as Geis's swim-to-alcatraz unilateral contracts). Or in one of the real property tip questions she says that a daughter has given a speculator NOTHING, which does not seem to be accurate, because in a jurisdiction that applies the modern trend, she has conveyed a contingent remainder (which later becomes a springing executory interest which would spring from her as the heir-grantor). Even the language in the answer explanation seems to imply this because it says that the speculator has no current possessory interest, not that the speculator has nothing. The second of these wouldn't have affected choosing the right answer, but it just seems sloppy/confusing to me. Very possible I'm just overly neurotic & wrong about these things.
HCM510 wrote:As much as I have used this site in school, I made it until Bar Prep to join it. I guess I'm just looking for someone to make me feel better about the time spent. IS 40/50 hours a week enough if you're actually studying? I'm a week and a half in and I'm already exhausted and neurotic, but I'm terrified that I will fail if I don't throw myself at it. Currently running through Themis lectures so my last six weeks can be nothing but drill and essasy. That worked for me for the MPRE.
I'm right there with you on the exhausted part. I never studied this much for law school. Your strategy is something that I've thought about doing as well and might switch over to doing. I'm worried that it might get too jumbled, but I agree practice is much more important than the lectures/BLL.

I don't find the parts McElroy does to be useful at all. I started to skip them after finishing contracts

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HCM510

New

Post by HCM510 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:34 pm

I'm 13 minutes into Evidence. Have not heard a single word about actual Evidence, though. If one more professor takes up so much time giving repetitive and useless "advice," I'm going to scream. This is so much worse than exams.

Optimist Prime

Bronze

Post by Optimist Prime » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Checking in. Go team free iPad.

Stupid question -- what/where are the final review outlines? I'm condensing the Don Ide outlines into my version of an attack outline so that I have a 2-3 page high level sheet of each topic that I can use to refresh old topics while i'm studying the new ones. Wondering if there is a better way...

jennifer_42

New

Post by jennifer_42 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:48 pm

jennifer_42 wrote:I am really liking the MBE Quiz Builder. Anybody know how many questions each topic bank has? ...
Okay, I just sent a message from the Themis message center asking this question. I've been very pleased with their response time so far, so let's hope they get back to me soon. I'll share the answer I get.
Themis declines to provide a numerical breakdown of the individual subjects.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:51 pm

jennifer_42 wrote:
jennifer_42 wrote:I am really liking the MBE Quiz Builder. Anybody know how many questions each topic bank has? ...
Okay, I just sent a message from the Themis message center asking this question. I've been very pleased with their response time so far, so let's hope they get back to me soon. I'll share the answer I get.
Themis declines to provide a numerical breakdown of the individual subjects.
Well that's really F'ing helpful. Adaptibar it is!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”