2017 July Illinois Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
uceoledinbdnrn

Bronze

Re: 2017 July Illinois Bar

Post by uceoledinbdnrn » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:32 am

cron1834 wrote:Anyone else feeling a little pessimistic about passing chances at this point? I've missed chunks of the summer due to some family issues, and I just haven't done nearly as much as I've wanted to. I've done about 50% of my course. I've listened to the lectures on every topic, but haven't successfully memorized much or drilled too many practice questions. Any hope for general test-taking ability carrying the day?
I think there's a lot of hope. Even if you're just getting most problems down to a coin-flip you should be able to put yourself in passing range with average or so essays. Just draw on the instincts/knowledge you've developed over the past 3 years and bullshit your way to passage.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:37 pm

uceoledinbdnrn wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Anyone else feeling a little pessimistic about passing chances at this point? I've missed chunks of the summer due to some family issues, and I just haven't done nearly as much as I've wanted to. I've done about 50% of my course. I've listened to the lectures on every topic, but haven't successfully memorized much or drilled too many practice questions. Any hope for general test-taking ability carrying the day?
I think there's a lot of hope. Even if you're just getting most problems down to a coin-flip you should be able to put yourself in passing range with average or so essays. Just draw on the instincts/knowledge you've developed over the past 3 years and bullshit your way to passage.
That's what I'm banking on. I'm confident I could pass if I made it through all of my course, but I really don't want the embarrassment of a re-take :|

GarGui

New

Post by GarGui » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:06 pm

I am about 90 percent through my prep class and I have no idea on how im gonna pass. I think that anxiety is felt collectively. At least I hope Im not alone in that sentiment.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:41 pm

90% completion in Barbri or Themis for a first-time taker is pretty much auto-pass territory, statistically speaking. Keep up the good work.

GoCubsGo41

New

Post by GoCubsGo41 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:34 pm

cron1834 wrote:90% completion in Barbri or Themis for a first-time taker is pretty much auto-pass territory, statistically speaking. Keep up the good work.

Yet I feel so unprepared. :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itsme123

New

Post by itsme123 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:51 pm

Anyone have IEE essay predictions? IL Civ Pro looks like a sure bet since they skipped it in February. I think Equity will also be on there since it's often tested 3 or 4 times in a row. What do you guys think?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:18 am

itsme123 wrote:Anyone have IEE essay predictions? IL Civ Pro looks like a sure bet since they skipped it in February. I think Equity will also be on there since it's often tested 3 or 4 times in a row. What do you guys think?
I'm considering those two as locks as well. Other guess is real property and contracts. No reason for that prediction, just my gut.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:09 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
itsme123 wrote:Anyone have IEE essay predictions? IL Civ Pro looks like a sure bet since they skipped it in February. I think Equity will also be on there since it's often tested 3 or 4 times in a row. What do you guys think?
I'm considering those two as locks as well. Other guess is real property and contracts. No reason for that prediction, just my gut.
I have a feeling that there is going to be a Wills question on the IEE if its not on the MEE. I am just hoping we don't see an Evidence essay on either portion, even though I know that is unlikely.
Last edited by Steve2207 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:53 am

I'm way underprepared, so I have to make some strategic bets. One of the things I'm betting on is wills.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nebjr

New

Post by nebjr » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Does anyone know if we need an admissions ticket? I know the instructions just say to bring an ID, but all of my friends testing in different states have them so I wanted to double check. I don't know anyone else testing in Illinois that I could ask.

jduluoz54

New

Post by jduluoz54 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Any second state takers having second thoughts about only taking the essay portion?

I'm having serious buyers remorse...feel like I could really use those MBE points...

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Does anyone know if we get the IEE + MPT as one packet and we have 3 hours to complete? Or do they distribute IEE --> turn it in after 90 min; distrubte MPT --> Turn it in after 90 min?

Doesn't matter so much either way, but trying to think about my time management plan.

jduluoz54

New

Post by jduluoz54 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:11 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Does anyone know if we get the IEE + MPT as one packet and we have 3 hours to complete? Or do they distribute IEE --> turn it in after 90 min; distrubte MPT --> Turn it in after 90 min?

Doesn't matter so much either way, but trying to think about my time management plan.
One is handed out, completed, turned in. Then the other. They are not distributed together.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:28 pm

jduluoz54 wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:Does anyone know if we get the IEE + MPT as one packet and we have 3 hours to complete? Or do they distribute IEE --> turn it in after 90 min; distrubte MPT --> Turn it in after 90 min?

One is handed out, completed, turned in. Then the other. They are not distributed together.
Thanks

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:55 pm

nebjr wrote:Does anyone know if we need an admissions ticket? I know the instructions just say to bring an ID, but all of my friends testing in different states have them so I wanted to double check. I don't know anyone else testing in Illinois that I could ask.

Photo ID badge will be provided during check-in.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:49 pm

I share your pessimism. I am also hovering around 50% completion but tbh I started doing real MBE questions and MEE essays at some point so I am not necessarily following the BarBri schedule. I gave up on the lectures around the time when the singing in Real Property started and the Contracts prof was gesturing into the distance and have just been plowing through the CMR outlines.

The only thing that gives me hope are people telling me that they did horribly throughout the BarBri program (as in crappy essays and doing badly on question sets) and still passed.

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:33 pm

jduluoz54 wrote:Any second state takers having second thoughts about only taking the essay portion?

I'm having serious buyers remorse...feel like I could really use those MBE points...
You're looking at one right here. I transferred in my score thinking they would give me the score value. I did really well on the MBE and would have had to only score outside of the bottom 10% (going by the F2017 stats).

I haven't put in the time, and I've been working in the state I'm licensed in, so I had to make some executive decisions on what to study. Illinois also covers more topics than my home state. I could really use those extra points over 133 to build a comfort zone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uceoledinbdnrn

Bronze

Post by uceoledinbdnrn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:43 pm

panicpanicpanicpanicpanicpanicpanicpanicpanic

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:03 pm

uceoledinbdnrn wrote:panicpanicpanicpanicpanicpanicpanicpanicpanic
You can say that again. BarBri ... just did not work for me. At least IL may be UBE by the time I re-take based on the last update from the ISBA board.

Unfortunately, the passing score will be increased to 268.

uceoledinbdnrn

Bronze

Post by uceoledinbdnrn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:25 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
You can say that again. BarBri ... just did not work for me. At least IL may be UBE by the time I re-take based on the last update from the ISBA board.

I would trade those 2 extra points for not having to worry about if I didn't worry about the Illinois distinctions/unique subjects enough.

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:18 pm

uceoledinbdnrn wrote:I would trade those 2 extra points for not having to worry about if I didn't worry about the Illinois distinctions/unique subjects enough.
You actually studied the distinctions?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:28 pm

uceoledinbdnrn wrote:
RCinDNA wrote:

I would trade those 2 extra points for not having to worry about if I didn't worry about the Illinois distinctions/unique subjects enough.
I hear you. I went over the distinctions for Corporations, Criminal Law, and Real Property in addition to Civ Pro and IL Civ Pro and straight up triggered a BarBri breakdown looking at Emanuel's with the silent acknowledgment that I no longer had the energy to go through another series of practice questions or re-read the explanations.

uceoledinbdnrn

Bronze

Post by uceoledinbdnrn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:49 pm

Suprman37 wrote:
uceoledinbdnrn wrote:I would trade those 2 extra points for not having to worry about if I didn't worry about the Illinois distinctions/unique subjects enough.
You actually studied the distinctions?
Nah, hence "if I didn't worry about . . . enough."

I only kind of paid attention to civ pro distinctions but I've forgotten them all already. Everything else I'm going all in with my tenuous gasp of MBE law.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:20 am

Anyone else taking the exam with Windows 10 Creator? I know it has a workaround, but the thought of a technical problem adds to my anxiety.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:42 pm

V confused about what we can or should bring (not in the room, but in general). They say they'll have an unsecured area ... so that's not comforting with all these people s phones and wallets sitting there... confused at what's the smart thing to do - a phone and one cc? In a small bag I can hide amongst other bags? Lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”