2017 July Illinois Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Suprman37

New

Re: 2017 July Illinois Bar

Post by Suprman37 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:11 pm

rahulg91 wrote:Awesome, thanks! Also PSA to finish the laptop registration, I think we have a week left!
They sent out a reminder today to get registered. I have to remember to do that when I get home.

ndbigdave, do you know when they send out the notifications on which site you're going to be at? I'm really debating about whether or not to stay downtown the night before or whether to just catch the train in the morning of.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Suprman37 wrote:
rahulg91 wrote:Awesome, thanks! Also PSA to finish the laptop registration, I think we have a week left!
They sent out a reminder today to get registered. I have to remember to do that when I get home.

ndbigdave, do you know when they send out the notifications on which site you're going to be at? I'm really debating about whether or not to stay downtown the night before or whether to just catch the train in the morning of.
You should receive your email about two (2) weeks before the bar, actually a notification via email that you have a "message" on your account to read. That letter will give you your site and room. So you will have 2 weeks notice to make plans regarding accommodations or commuting.

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Maybe it's because of a hard day at the office... maybe it's because my kids are driving me bonkers while my wife is getting her hair done... but I can't for the life of my figure it out...

Can someone tell me what the problem with my Examsoft registration is?

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:22 pm

Suprman37 wrote:Maybe it's because of a hard day at the office... maybe it's because my kids are driving me bonkers while my wife is getting her hair done... but I can't for the life of my figure it out...

I have not registered yet, but Ill try this evening and will report back. I dont ever remember having to type things in like "Illinois Admissions to the Bar" so that isnt looking familiar. Ill check back in tonight when I am in front of my personal laptop.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:23 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
Suprman37 wrote:Maybe it's because of a hard day at the office... maybe it's because my kids are driving me bonkers while my wife is getting her hair done... but I can't for the life of my figure it out...

I have not registered yet, but Ill try this evening and will report back. I dont ever remember having to type things in like "Illinois Admissions to the Bar" so that isnt looking familiar. Ill check back in tonight when I am in front of my personal laptop.
Just went to my email reminding me to register the "Institution ID" listed in my email is: ilbar

(just like that, all lowercase) - hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:15 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:

Just went to my email reminding me to register the "Institution ID" listed in my email is: ilbar

(just like that, all lowercase) - hope this helps.
That was it! I don't know why the "Forgot your Institution ID?" email would give me the institution and not the institution ID. The best part? I was sitting at the computer thinking "It was 'inbar' for Indiana. Why does Illinois always have to be so difficult?"

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:57 pm

The Themis outline/lectures for "Personal Property - Illinois" are cumbersome af. Is this an important topic for IEE purposes?

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:58 am

cron1834 wrote:The Themis outline/lectures for "Personal Property - Illinois" are cumbersome af. Is this an important topic for IEE purposes?
It's a gamble, but I'm not even studying personal property for the Illinois Bar Exam. Since F2006, it's been tested once and that was in F2010. I have a limited amount of study time because I'm working in my home jurisdiction, so I don't see the benefit in putting in major time there. I may end up skimming it just to make sure it's not going to be much outside of the lost/mislaid/abandoned property breakdown. I'm taking the same position with Administrative Law (tested once since F2006) and Surestyship (tested once since F2006).

I have the Themis books for Illinois 2016. I noticed that Commercial Paper is in there. They don't test that in Illinois anymore, just an FYI if you didn't know.

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:54 am

Suprman37 wrote:
cron1834 wrote:The Themis outline/lectures for "Personal Property - Illinois" are cumbersome af. Is this an important topic for IEE purposes?
It's a gamble, but I'm not even studying personal property for the Illinois Bar Exam. Since F2006, it's been tested once and that was in F2010. I have a limited amount of study time because I'm working in my home jurisdiction, so I don't see the benefit in putting in major time there. I may end up skimming it just to make sure it's not going to be much outside of the lost/mislaid/abandoned property breakdown. I'm taking the same position with Administrative Law (tested once since F2006) and Surestyship (tested once since F2006).

I have the Themis books for Illinois 2016. I noticed that Commercial Paper is in there. They don't test that in Illinois anymore, just an FYI if you didn't know.
How do you know these subject frequencies? Does barbri have these statistics available anywhere or is it exclusive to Themis?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:20 am

Suprman37 wrote:

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. And, I had sort of planned on putting these oddball topics @ the end of my schedule, so if I fell behind they'd be the smart choices to skip. I heard something similar re: commercial paper from a Themis rep, so I'll be cutting that one out, thanks.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:04 pm

cron1834 wrote:
Suprman37 wrote:

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. And, I had sort of planned on putting these oddball topics @ the end of my schedule, so if I fell behind they'd be the smart choices to skip. I heard something similar re: commercial paper from a Themis rep, so I'll be cutting that one out, thanks.
Fairly certain that commercial paper is still a testable subject. Granted, it seems super unlikely that they will test it... Willing to be proven wrong though so I don't bother looking at it whatsoever :D

jduluoz54

New

Post by jduluoz54 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Can you someone give some insight into how frequent tax has popped up in the past?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:36 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
Suprman37 wrote:

Fairly certain that commercial paper is still a testable subject. Granted, it seems super unlikely that they will test it... Willing to be proven wrong though so I don't bother looking at it whatsoever :D
My friend doing Barbri said their IL commercial paper lecturer told them that while it's still listed as a testable subject, it's functionally not, & they just haven't bothered to update the strictures yet. Do you have Barbri/can you confirm? Like you I'm inclined to gamble... :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:11 pm

rahulg91 wrote:
Suprman37 wrote:

How do you know these subject frequencies? Does barbri have these statistics available anywhere or is it exclusive to Themis?
Barbri actually has a chart that they send around. If you don't have it, shoot me a pm. That's what I looked at for the stats I quoted above. I know that if you're using Kaplan, it's in a portal on the website which breaks the topic down to the rule tested.

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:14 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
Suprman37 wrote:

Nope, you're right and I stand corrected. Since I couldn't find them on the Illinois Bar site, I looked at school Illinois Bar breakdowns. As you can see, Wisconsin doesn't list it. John Marshall does, and I'm more willing to trust the in state school.

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:16 pm

jduluoz54 wrote:Can you someone give some insight into how frequent tax has popped up in the past?
According to Barbri's 2017 chart, tax hasn't been tested at all since F2006. The IEE used to be limited to Illinois Procedure and Equity. I don't know the year they changed it, but there's a few topics that don't see a lot of action and tax is one of them.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:49 am

Suprman37 wrote:

<3

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:20 pm

misquote

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Suprman37 wrote:
jduluoz54 wrote:Can you someone give some insight into how frequent tax has popped up in the past?
According to Barbri's 2017 chart, tax hasn't been tested at all since F2006. The IEE used to be limited to Illinois Procedure and Equity. I don't know the year they changed it, but there's a few topics that don't see a lot of action and tax is one of them.
I just found the frequency chart and was very surprised by this. Tax hasn't been tested at all since '06? Seems wild.

kcjlo10

New

Post by kcjlo10 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:17 pm

Anyone using Adaptibar? I've been using it and it's fantastic. I used Themis last time but it wasn't as good in explaining the right answer/wrong answer.

If anyone needs the discount code, feel free to pm me.

KirbyKager

New

Post by KirbyKager » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Hey all,

multiple Illinois bar exam non-passer here. Was wondering about commercial paper too. I know the MEE dropped it. But I think it is fair game on the IEE, although as some one else mentioned I think it is highly unlikely. Has anyone ever heard of it being tested before as and IEE question? I am basing my opinion that it is still valid for the IEE based on:

Rule 704(d) on the ILBA rules website.

www.illinoiscourts.gov/SupremeCourt/Rules/Art_VII

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:06 am

KirbyKager wrote:Hey all,

multiple Illinois bar exam non-passer here. Was wondering about commercial paper too. I know the MEE dropped it. But I think it is fair game on the IEE, although as some one else mentioned I think it is highly unlikely. Has anyone ever heard of it being tested before as and IEE question? I am basing my opinion that it is still valid for the IEE based on:

Rule 704(d) on the ILBA rules website.

http://www.illinoiscourts.gov/SupremeCo ... es/Art_VII
Illinois still has Commercial Paper as one of the testable topics. Since F2006, it has been tested once on the IEE and that was in F2012. That's it. The odds of it being tested are really low.

Southpaw89

New

Post by Southpaw89 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:01 pm

For those who have taken the Bar, how do the questions compare to Adaptibar and Barbri? Of course no examples (not allowed), but any tips on how they compare, difficulty wise?

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:28 pm

Southpaw89 wrote:For those who have taken the Bar, how do the questions compare to Adaptibar and Barbri? Of course no examples (not allowed), but any tips on how they compare, difficulty wise?
Hey, I took the July 2015 Illinois Bar Exam and passed. I took Themis and used AdaptiBar. I can say that the questions were much harder than Themis' and AdaptiBar's questions. During the break, everyone during the bar, including Barbri people, were saying how the questions seemed different and much harder than were provided.

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Checking in for July 2017 :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”