2017 July Illinois Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Sporten

New

Re: 2017 July Illinois Bar

Post by Sporten » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Mine said Congratulations and I passed C&F as well.

Just out of curiosity- what does the failed email say?

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:11 pm

Sporten wrote:Mine said Congratulations and I passed C&F as well.

Just out of curiosity- what does the failed email say?
It says something to the effect of "we regret to inform you that have failed the July 2017 bar examination." Then with info about re-applying for February exam and getting a score report and your answers + sample answers.

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:53 pm

ndbigdave wrote:Has anyone gone in for one of these meetings?
I did one in Indiana and I'm scheduled for one in Illinois.

In Indiana, it was before the entire board (two arrests, no convictions, lot of traffic, some financial). Just went in, was honest and contrite. Don't grandstand, even when you're in the right (which explains why you have an arrest record with the state declining to bring charges). I was advised not to bring counsel and I didn't. Everything went fine and was informed of my approval the same day.

I'm going to do the same with Illinois.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:39 pm

Suprman37 wrote:
I did one in Indiana and I'm scheduled for one in Illinois.

In Indiana, it was before the entire board (two arrests, no convictions, lot of traffic, some financial). Just went in, was honest and contrite. Don't grandstand, even when you're in the right (which explains why you have an arrest record with the state declining to bring charges). I was advised not to bring counsel and I didn't. Everything went fine and was informed of my approval the same day.

I'm going to do the same with Illinois.
Ok that does make me feel good - its crazy to have this nervousness even though I am already licensed in another state and have passed character and fitness.

I am hoping for the same result - a same day (or soon after) positive outcome.

gsie1005

New

Post by gsie1005 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:57 pm

Has anyone else had a problem paying the $50 license fee? As those of you who passed know, the "congratulations" message says that you are required to pay a $50 license fee to participate in the ceremony on Nov 9th. But when I click on the "E-Pay Law License Fee" link, I'm getting a message saying the page won't load. I've tried it a couple of times each day over the past few days, but no luck.

I know it's only been a couple of days (and we have until Nov. 2nd to pay the fee), but I'd like to pay it now and get it over with. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:19 pm

I have made a few calls to attorneys who focus on attorney grievance/ethic issues - it certainly sounds like these meetings are common (if you have basically any type of flag you will get called in. My curiosity is about how often these get escalated? So far as I can tell my flags come down to a brush with the law about 10+ years ago and some credit cards. The legal issue is old, resolved and disclosed - same with the credit cards (disclosed and now fully paid off) - I am not aware of any other issues (I wasnt asked to supplement anything further).

I am already licensed in Michigan (ironically with no issues with C&F - was never called in or escalated at all).

Fair to assume I go in, be humble, admit the mistakes, explain where necessary and that is the end of it?

Curious what other's experiences where like.
I did the early option and completed my C&F 1L year. They called me in for an interview as well, and it was not nearly as stressful as I had imagined. Similarly, I had a run in with the law which has been expunged, and I also had some credit cards that I had paid in full, but only after they fell delinquent.

Basically, it seemed to me like my interviewer just wanted to hear me say that I recognize how important it is for an attorney to honor their financial obligations, and that I am now more responsible when it comes to managing my debt. At least in my case, they didn’t even seem to care very much about the prior legal issue, and it was sort of just mentioned in passing. The debt was definitely their biggest concern.

midwestrocks

New

Post by midwestrocks » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:34 pm

I got the "pleased to advice" message and had completed C&F but forgotten to send MPRE score. So I guess it just means if there is any part of your application not completed.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Steve2207 wrote:

I have made a few calls to attorneys who focus on attorney grievance/ethic issues - it certainly sounds like these meetings are common (if you have basically any type of flag you will get called in. My curiosity is about how often these get escalated? So far as I can tell my flags come down to a brush with the law about 10+ years ago and some credit cards. The legal issue is old, resolved and disclosed - same with the credit cards (disclosed and now fully paid off) - I am not aware of any other issues (I wasnt asked to supplement anything further).

I am already licensed in Michigan (ironically with no issues with C&F - was never called in or escalated at all).

Fair to assume I go in, be humble, admit the mistakes, explain where necessary and that is the end of it?

Curious what other's experiences where like.
I did the early option and completed my C&F 1L year. They called me in for an interview as well, and it was not nearly as stressful as I had imagined. Similarly, I had a run in with the law which has been expunged, and I also had some credit cards that I had paid in full, but only after they fell delinquent.

Basically, it seemed to me like my interviewer just wanted to hear me say that I recognize how important it is for an attorney to honor their financial obligations, and that I am now more responsible when it comes to managing my debt. At least in my case, they didn’t even seem to care very much about the prior legal issue, and it was sort of just mentioned in passing. The debt was definitely their biggest concern.
Steve,

Thanks for responding - my nerves have been put to rest. I think the issues are minor, but worthy of being "flagged" thus why I am being called in.

Also - congrats on passing man, I know you had a rough go last February with work and this stupid test.

adj

New

Post by adj » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Congrats to everyone! I was a third-timer as well.
Does anyone know what the process is for those who cannot attend the November 9th oath ceremony? Just wondering if it is pretty easy or tedious. I will be out of the country until November 14th.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:00 pm

adj wrote:Congrats to everyone! I was a third-timer as well.
Does anyone know what the process is for those who cannot attend the November 9th oath ceremony? Just wondering if it is pretty easy or tedious. I will be out of the country until November 14th.
From my letter: "The office of the Clerk of the Court will notify you of the location (which is determined by the address you provided to this office) and time of your assigned ceremony. If you are unable to attend the ceremony on November 9th, the Court will notify you after the ceremony as to what steps you need to take to have your oath administered."

You cant be the first person who couldnt attend a specific time/date - there will be other options.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:18 am

ndbigdave wrote:
From my letter: "The office of the Clerk of the Court will notify you of the location (which is determined by the address you provided to this office) and time of your assigned ceremony. If you are unable to attend the ceremony on November 9th, the Court will notify you after the ceremony as to what steps you need to take to have your oath administered."

You cant be the first person who couldnt attend a specific time/date - there will be other options.
100% not a big deal. But as with all administrative things, it will probably be more tedious than it needs to be. e.g., need to have a judge swear you in (not sure if it actually has to be an Illinois Supreme Court justice, but a judge for sure). I'm sure it'll be a headache, but not a big deal whatsoever.

adj

New

Post by adj » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:14 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:

100% not a big deal. But as with all administrative things, it will probably be more tedious than it needs to be. e.g., need to have a judge swear you in (not sure if it actually has to be an Illinois Supreme Court justice, but a judge for sure). I'm sure it'll be a headache, but not a big deal whatsoever.
Thank you both! Just found out one of my friends could not attend the May 2017 ceremony. The court sends a letter a few days after the ceremony with instructions to call the clerk's office to set up an appointment with one of the judges in their Chicago office. Family members are able to come as well. Pretty simple. But, keep in mind the 9 month C&F deadline. If that expires, you have to pay another $450 to re-certify.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:00 pm

Speaking of C&F, I have a question. I have been taking a couple of online classes this semester in an unrelated field, and have completely lost interest since receiving my bar results. I would now like to return to work, and just let myself fail these classes, but I am wondering if that would create any ethical concerns.

A GPA below 3.0 would place me on academic probation sometime in December, but would I be required to report that if I don’t return next semester?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:02 am

Steve2207 wrote:Speaking of C&F, I have a question. I have been taking a couple of online classes this semester in an unrelated field, and have completely lost interest since receiving my bar results. I would now like to return to work, and just let myself fail these classes, but I am wondering if that would create any ethical concerns.

A GPA below 3.0 would place me on academic probation sometime in December, but would I be required to report that if I don’t return next semester?
Rather than failing the classes, I would imagine you could negotiate a withdrawal with the dean.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:46 pm

If I can't make the Nov 9 date, do I pay the $50 now? Or wait until I have another date scheduled?

adj

New

Post by adj » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:56 pm

cron1834 wrote:If I can't make the Nov 9 date, do I pay the $50 now? Or wait until I have another date scheduled?
I actually paid for the license over the weekend, even though I will schedule another date. I am assuming there is nothing wrong with doing that.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:07 pm

Certainly seems reasonable to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:53 pm

Anyone need barbri books? Also have critical pass cards (untouched), and lean sheets. Will sell for cost of postage + beer money. Wife wants it out of the casa.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Suprman37 wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:
Rather than failing the classes, I would imagine you could negotiate a withdrawal with the dean.
If I withdraw, I will owe the University several thousand dollars because of financial aid. I suppose I will just try to do my best, and if I fall short and have to disclose it later, I will explain that i lost interest in the classes after receiving my bar results. You wouldn't THINK someone would be disbarred over a couple of bad grades.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:50 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
Suprman37 wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:
If I withdraw, I will owe the University several thousand dollars because of financial aid. I suppose I will just try to do my best, and if I fall short and have to disclose it later, I will explain that i lost interest in the classes after receiving my bar results. You wouldn't THINK someone would be disbarred over a couple of bad grades.
I would tough it out - I understand not having much enthusiasm for it, but at the same time, already early October, how much mroe is left? I have no idea how difficult the program is that you are in, but I would say tough it out, give an half-ass effort (to avoid failing) and THEN be done.

Frutsie

New

Post by Frutsie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:05 am

Do they release a list of names of people who passed? Other jurisdictions do.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KaleidoscopeDream

New

Post by KaleidoscopeDream » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:43 am

Frutsie wrote:Do they release a list of names of people who passed? Other jurisdictions do.
Nope, which I think is good

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:33 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:
Suprman37 wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:

I would tough it out - I understand not having much enthusiasm for it, but at the same time, already early October, how much mroe is left? I have no idea how difficult the program is that you are in, but I would say tough it out, give an half-ass effort (to avoid failing) and THEN be done.
That is pretty much what I have resolved to do. I will need a 3.0 at the end of the semester to avoid academic probation. But, I figure I will just do what I can and hope that it won’t cause any issues in the future. I am not even sure that academic probation is a concern for purposes of ARCD registration.

On a brighter note, has anyone heard anything about the swearing in ceremony? I paid the $50 on the date results were released and still haven’t heard anything from IBAB.

OneTwoThreeFour

Bronze

Post by OneTwoThreeFour » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Is the swearing ceremony in Chicago?

Sporten

New

Post by Sporten » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:36 pm

OneTwoThreeFour wrote:Is the swearing ceremony in Chicago?
There are five ceremonies throughout the state on November 9th. The ceremonies take place in Chicago, Kankakee, Elgin, Springfield and Carbondale. This link has more information.

http://www.illinoiscourts.gov/SupremeCo ... efault.asp

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”