2017 July Illinois Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
uceoledinbdnrn

Bronze

Re: 2017 July Illinois Bar

Post by uceoledinbdnrn » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:55 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:V confused about what we can or should bring (not in the room, but in general). They say they'll have an unsecured area ... so that's not comforting with all these people s phones and wallets sitting there... confused at what's the smart thing to do - a phone and one cc? In a small bag I can hide amongst other bags? Lol
yeah, I'm going to bring my phone for uber, lunch, and not much else. Probably in a smallish bag so I'm not just leaving that stuff sitting out there.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:57 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:V confused about what we can or should bring (not in the room, but in general). They say they'll have an unsecured area ... so that's not comforting with all these people s phones and wallets sitting there... confused at what's the smart thing to do - a phone and one cc? In a small bag I can hide amongst other bags? Lol
The room is not secured, but there are security people/proctors/lookouts at the location. It is far from ideal, but you will find that the room is generally full of people's coats, bags and "stuff" that is only accessed during the lunch break and after the bar. Everyone at the location is either working for the IL Bar or is a bar-taker, that doesnt guarantee that nothing will be stolen, but it turned out to be fine. For your own sanity, I would suggest bringing as little as possible (if at all possible just the things you HAVE to have which is basically your ID and I would assume your keys to apartment/hotel) a cell isnt necessary unless you need an uber home or think a call at lunch will help calm nerves.

I will be bringing a lunch with me, so Ill likely just stash my phone in the bag somewhere (I need it for a post-test uber home) but if I was just walking home I think I would leave at home for peace of mind.

I say all that to say this - the IL Bar wont promise your stuff will be safe, but I didnt hear of any issues in February and heard no issues from previous takers.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:08 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Anyone else feeling a little pessimistic about passing chances at this point? I've missed chunks of the summer due to some family issues, and I just haven't done nearly as much as I've wanted to. I've done about 50% of my course. I've listened to the lectures on every topic, but haven't successfully memorized much or drilled too many practice questions. Any hope for general test-taking ability carrying the day?
I share your pessimism. I am also hovering around 50% completion but tbh I started doing real MBE questions and MEE essays at some point so I am not necessarily following the BarBri schedule. I gave up on the lectures around the time when the singing in Real Property started and the Contracts prof was gesturing into the distance and have just been plowing through the CMR outlines.

The only thing that gives me hope are people telling me that they did horribly throughout the BarBri program (as in crappy essays and doing badly on question sets) and still passed.
I'm roughly on the same page as you. Gave up on my programmed schedule sometime in June, mostly been doing outline review and MBE questions when I have time. Especially worried about essays b/c, you know, at least with MBE the answer is in front of you.

I've been heartened with what I've read in the various threads here about the baseline points you get just for setting up MEE essays correctly and spotting the biggest issues. I'm sort of testing a version of the Blake Masters 100 hour CalBar theory here...

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:14 pm

You can take credit cards/money with you into the exam room.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:21 pm

cron1834 wrote:
RCinDNA wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Anyone else feeling a little pessimistic about passing chances at this point? I've missed chunks of the summer due to some family issues, and I just haven't done nearly as much as I've wanted to. I've done about 50% of my course. I've listened to the lectures on every topic, but haven't successfully memorized much or drilled too many practice questions. Any hope for general test-taking ability carrying the day?
I share your pessimism. I am also hovering around 50% completion but tbh I started doing real MBE questions and MEE essays at some point so I am not necessarily following the BarBri schedule. I gave up on the lectures around the time when the singing in Real Property started and the Contracts prof was gesturing into the distance and have just been plowing through the CMR outlines.

The only thing that gives me hope are people telling me that they did horribly throughout the BarBri program (as in crappy essays and doing badly on question sets) and still passed.
I'm roughly on the same page as you. Gave up on my programmed schedule sometime in June, mostly been doing outline review and MBE questions when I have time. Especially worried about essays b/c, you know, at least with MBE the answer is in front of you.

I've been heartened with what I've read in the various threads here about the baseline points you get just for setting up MEE essays correctly and spotting the biggest issues. I'm sort of testing a version of the Blake Masters 100 hour CalBar theory here...
I find this useful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comm ... h=9c2ffd61

"Property essay I'm skipping. Nevermind I know the answer."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

futago

Bronze

Post by futago » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Ok, so the Bar instructions from Themis say:

"Study materials should be removed from the laptop prior to your bringing it the exam."

Does this really mean I have to disable my google drive/ delete my folders of bar stuff?

champloo

Bronze

Post by champloo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:53 pm

If a commercial paper/admin law essay came out what would be 3 things i can write to get a 50%?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:58 pm

futago wrote:Ok, so the Bar instructions from Themis say:

"Study materials should be removed from the laptop prior to your bringing it the exam."

Does this really mean I have to disable my google drive/ delete my folders of bar stuff?
The actual bar instructions from IBAB also say that so it might be a good idea to delete anything you have stored locally.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:59 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
RCinDNA wrote:

I find this useful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comm ... h=9c2ffd61

"Property essay I'm skipping. Nevermind I know the answer."
Visualize success :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Good luck everyone! We got this.

futago

Bronze

Post by futago » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Mullens wrote:

The actual bar instructions from IBAB also say that so it might be a good idea to delete anything you have stored locally.
Thanks

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:47 pm

champloo wrote:If a commercial paper/admin law essay came out what would be 3 things i can write to get a 50%?
Everyone who signed on the check or note is liable. Holder in due course trumps personal defenses.

champloo

Bronze

Post by champloo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:13 pm

star fox wrote:
champloo wrote:If a commercial paper/admin law essay came out what would be 3 things i can write to get a 50%?
Everyone who signed on the check or note is liable. Holder in due course trumps personal defenses.
thanks for this. hope you and everyone else kills it tomorrow!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uceoledinbdnrn

Bronze

Post by uceoledinbdnrn » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:03 am

good luck fam

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:28 am

I didn't when I took it because examsoft does its usual thing where it locks you out of everything except itself

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Well, that's over.

futago

Bronze

Post by futago » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:18 pm

Suprman37 wrote:Well, that's over.
Well, halfway over anyways.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Wait, WTF was that MPT?

:evil:

uceoledinbdnrn

Bronze

Post by uceoledinbdnrn » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:33 pm

RCinDNA wrote:Wait, WTF was that MPT?

The MPT is what you're :evil: about?

I felt like the afternoon was waaaaay worse than the morning. But w/e, onward and upward.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:44 pm

uceoledinbdnrn wrote:

I felt like the afternoon was waaaaay worse than the morning. But w/e, onward and upward.
I'm :evil: about multiple things. But, yeah, whatever. 50% done.

futago

Bronze

Post by futago » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:47 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
uceoledinbdnrn wrote:

I thought the afternoon was worse too, but I'm most worried about the weird IEE question, wtf was that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gatorade_potato

New

Post by gatorade_potato » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:54 pm

futago wrote:
RCinDNA wrote:
uceoledinbdnrn wrote:

I thought the afternoon was worse too, but I'm most worried about the weird IEE question, wtf was that.
FOR REAL. I have never seen anything even resembling that in all of my bar studying—I made up my entire answer. If it makes you feel any better, I talked to a bunch of people about afterwards and it seems like nobody had any clue, so the curve should be pretty generous (hopefully...).

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:04 pm

I agree IEE was pretty messed. Kinda shit the bed on it (along with two MEEs for that matter...), but ppl I talked to were also bewildered.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:15 pm

cron1834 wrote:I agree IEE was pretty messed. Kinda shit the bed on it (along with two MEEs for that matter...), but ppl I talked to were also bewildered.
IL bar is just trolling the bar prep companies at this point.

Anyway, in retrospect, definitely could have been worse. The absolute worst thing that could have happened would be walking in and not having at least 3-4 essays where you knew wtf you were doing.
Last edited by RCinDNA on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RLowry23

Bronze

Post by RLowry23 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:28 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
cron1834 wrote:I agree IEE was pretty messed. Kinda shit the bed on it (along with two MEEs for that matter...), but ppl I talked to were also bewildered.
IL bar is just trolling the bar prep companies at this point.
I thought that after reading every question... haha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”