2017 July Illinois Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nebby

Diamond

Re: 2017 July Illinois Bar

Post by Nebby » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:03 pm

champloo wrote:
Yekcim Esuom wrote:So I don’t want to add to anyone’s anxiety but it does appear we will be getting our results on Friday. The Scoring Memo has been updated to reflect “July 2017 Bar Exam” and is dated for September 29, 2017. Additionally, the percentile charts have been updated for the July 2017 Bar Exam as well. The links are listed below for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/july-2017-scoring-memo

https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/july201 ... ent-charts
Didnt read the entire memo but does this mean theyre gonna actually give us our scores or just a pass/fail? I believe in the past they only gave score break downs for people who failed
Just pass fail. Only get scores if you fail

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:10 pm

champloo wrote:
Yekcim Esuom wrote:So I don’t want to add to anyone’s anxiety but it does appear we will be getting our results on Friday. The Scoring Memo has been updated to reflect “July 2017 Bar Exam” and is dated for September 29, 2017. Additionally, the percentile charts have been updated for the July 2017 Bar Exam as well. The links are listed below for your viewing pleasure.

Didnt read the entire memo but does this mean theyre gonna actually give us our scores or just a pass/fail? I believe in the past they only gave score break downs for people who failed
Same scoring memo as in years past - just with updated release date.

Passers will get their "Congratulations!" notification - but no scores (which frankly I think is absolute garbage)

Those who fail will be provided a score report by next Monday/Tuesday (October 2 or 3).

If there is a positive to take from my quick reading of the results is that scores are generally high, looks like the overall passing rate is at 71.8% (for comparison it was listed as 72% for July 2016 when the actual rate was 71.5%)

Now...we wait.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:43 am

ndbigdave wrote:
champloo wrote:

Same scoring memo as in years past - just with updated release date.

Passers will get their "Congratulations!" notification - but no scores (which frankly I think is absolute garbage)

Those who fail will be provided a score report by next Monday/Tuesday (October 2 or 3).

If there is a positive to take from my quick reading of the results is that scores are generally high, looks like the overall passing rate is at 71.8% (for comparison it was listed as 72% for July 2016 when the actual rate was 71.5%)

Now...we wait.
Best of luck fellow Illinois bar takers. Wishing everyone success!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks Nebby, Mickey Mouse, and Dave for the info. Time to hurry up and wait.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:56 pm

Does anyone happen to know roughly how many people took the IL exam this year, or what the approximate number of takers are each year for July and February?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Suprman37

New

Post by Suprman37 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:46 pm

Steve2207 wrote:Does anyone happen to know roughly how many people took the IL exam this year, or what the approximate number of takers are each year for July and February?
I want to say that the NCBE has this information on their website. I remember looking at the ranking to see what the states ranks were for number of bar takers (NY, CA, TX, FL, IL...)

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:35 am

Steve2207 wrote:Does anyone happen to know roughly how many people took the IL exam this year, or what the approximate number of takers are each year for July and February?
I had spoken to one of the proctors at the test center, I cant remember what the exact number was now, but if I do remember right I believe he told me 1,980 (just shy of 2,000 is how I remember it) now, that doesnt account for no-shows (I can speak to at least one who was in my row) but for simple math purposes:

Pass rate is: 71.8%
Approximate pool of test takers: 1,980
Passers: 1,422 (rounding to next full number)

For comparison sake:
There were 2,007 takers in July 2016 with 1,436 passers for a passrate of 71.5%
There were 884 takers in February 2016 with 557 passers for a passrate of 63%
(Can find the numbers here: http://www.ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=%2 ... ment%2F205)

Hope this helps.

bar123

New

Post by bar123 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:07 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
I had spoken to one of the proctors at the test center, I cant remember what the exact number was now, but if I do remember right I believe he told me 1,980 (just shy of 2,000 is how I remember it) now, that doesnt account for no-shows (I can speak to at least one who was in my row) but for simple math purposes:

For comparison sake:
(Can find the numbers here: http://www.ncbex.org/pdfviewer/?file=%2 ... ment%2F205)

Hope this helps.
That's not entirely true. A friend of mine passed the February 2017 bar exam. During the ceremony they announced that the pass rate was 48%, one of the lowest ever in Illinois.

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:51 pm

bar123 wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:

For comparison sake:

Hope this helps.
That's not entirely true. A friend of mine passed the February 2017 bar exam. During the ceremony they announced that the pass rate was 48%, one of the lowest ever in Illinois.
This is true because some testers may only be sitting for essay day. I think the Illinois passing rate is the percentage of takers who sit for the entire exam and pass.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:59 pm

I have never seen a specific breakdown of how the numbers are counted.

For instance, will those who transfer an MBE to IL and only take the essays be considered as a part of first time takers? Are they included in the normal pool of applicants? No clue.

Someone had asked how many people sat for the test this year, I had asked a proctor and I BELIEVE the number was 1,980 which is in line with July 2016 which had 2,007.

Using the rough approximation of takers and the KNOWN pass rate I could run the math to give an approximate number of people who passed. I did so as someone had asked.

The score breakdown sheet speaks for itself. Scores have plateaued the last two years after having scores drop and drop (part of the reason being the raising of the score from 264 to 266). It is also encouraging that July 2017 is technically a bit higher than July 2016 even in light of the change to the MBE (regarding the 25 experimental questions). I'm encouraged by what I see with these scores.

February 2016 on the other hand was a straight up shit show...

Bar1Taker

New

Post by Bar1Taker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Good luck everyone with the results.
Last edited by Bar1Taker on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:55 pm

ndbigdave wrote:I have never seen a specific breakdown of how the numbers are counted.

For instance, will those who transfer an MBE to IL and only take the essays be considered as a part of first time takers? Are they included in the normal pool of applicants? No clue.

Someone had asked how many people sat for the test this year, I had asked a proctor and I BELIEVE the number was 1,980 which is in line with July 2016 which had 2,007.

Using the rough approximation of takers and the KNOWN pass rate I could run the math to give an approximate number of people who passed. I did so as someone had asked.

The score breakdown sheet speaks for itself. Scores have plateaued the last two years after having scores drop and drop (part of the reason being the raising of the score from 264 to 266). It is also encouraging that July 2017 is technically a bit higher than July 2016 even in light of the change to the MBE (regarding the 25 experimental questions). I'm encouraged by what I see with these scores.

February 2016 on the other hand was a straight up shit show...
It was, I sat in February. Retook this July. I felt the content was much more difficult this time around. NCBE went evil genius with respect to those MBE Questions. I felt they repeatedly threw in choice of law/forum selection to throw us off of the area of law. I stayed off the forums because I didn't even want to obsess over the questions for a second.

Thankfully I'm flying out to Montego Bay early Friday so whatever happens, I'll be somewhere great.

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:39 am

Nebby wrote:
uhhuhjulia wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
uhhuhjulia wrote:
Suprman37 wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
Southpaw89 wrote:Anyone think results could be released today?

#hopeful
My best educated guess is NEXT Friday, the 29th. Just going through some historical trends and I certainly cannot promise anything.
I'm thinking the exact same. I remember them saying in the forum that it would be the end of September.
its surreal that this is our last week of waiting to hear our fates :shock:
I am thrilled the end is nigh - of course some nervousness, but cant wait to know and be done with the process.

I am really banking on Friday the 29th will be the day, and will be disappointed if it doesnt happen.[/quote

do they usually come at midnight when they're posted or sometime during the day? wanna know if I need to stay up or wake up and constantly check my email all day friday.
They are rolling. Last year, they started at 1PM and didn't finish rolling out until like 7PM. My buddy got his around 1:30PM and I got mine around 3:30PM. Another friend got his around 5PM.
If they roll out the same as last July. February 2017 I got the bad news a little after 8:30am. Last name starts with A.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:39 pm

ndbigdave wrote:The score breakdown sheet speaks for itself. Scores have plateaued the last two years after having scores drop and drop (part of the reason being the raising of the score from 264 to 266). It is also encouraging that July 2017 is technically a bit higher than July 2016 even in light of the change to the MBE (regarding the 25 experimental questions). I'm encouraged by what I see with these scores.
Maybe I'm slow but what change to the MBE?

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:42 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:The score breakdown sheet speaks for itself. Scores have plateaued the last two years after having scores drop and drop (part of the reason being the raising of the score from 264 to 266). It is also encouraging that July 2017 is technically a bit higher than July 2016 even in light of the change to the MBE (regarding the 25 experimental questions). I'm encouraged by what I see with these scores.
Pretty sure it used to be that 190 questions "counted" for equating purposes, and 10 were experimental. Now it's 175/25.

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:43 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:
Prior to Feb 2017, 190 questions were scored with 10 pretest questions. It changed to 175 scored, 25 pretest questions.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:02 pm

virgoyum wrote:
BaberhamLincoln wrote:
Prior to Feb 2017, 190 questions were scored with 10 pretest questions. It changed to 175 scored, 25 pretest questions.
This is correct.

Many people, myself included, thought the change may negatively effect scores. In my case I went from a 141 in MI for July 2015 to a 139 for February 2017, though in my opinion I put in more effort the second time around. Part of me still believes that February 2017 was negatively affected as it is a smaller sample size and the first time the test was being scaled with 175 questions. That's just a guess however.

This July, scores are up Nationwide and the overall pass rate is technically up for Illinois as well. An accumulative rate of basically 72% seems reasonable from my perspective (again pure opinion).

I am very happy to KNOW results are tomorrow, however the wait will be painful if results don't push out in the early AM.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uhhuhjulia

New

Post by uhhuhjulia » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:56 pm

Are results in the email or do we have to log in to view them?

Southpaw89

New

Post by Southpaw89 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:29 pm

uhhuhjulia wrote:Are results in the email or do we have to log in to view them?
I believe they email us informing us that they're posted, and then we log into our personal account page to read the letter.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:38 pm

I totally followed the fact that the scoring letter changed to tomorrows date and the fact that in years passed it's been Sept 30/Oct 1, but do we really KNOW 100% theyll be tomorrow or is Monday an option?

uhhuhjulia

New

Post by uhhuhjulia » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:50 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:I totally followed the fact that the scoring letter changed to tomorrows date and the fact that in years passed it's been Sept 30/Oct 1, but do we really KNOW 100% theyll be tomorrow or is Monday an option?
A friend of mine said her IL bar app advisor (forgot their actual title) told her results come tomorrow

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:19 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:I totally followed the fact that the scoring letter changed to tomorrows date and the fact that in years passed it's been Sept 30/Oct 1, but do we really KNOW 100% theyll be tomorrow or is Monday an option?
Very few things are 100%, but in this case short of an act of God, the scores will be released at some point tomorrow.

You will get an email to check your account, you will have a message entitled Exam Results, click on it and your pass or fail response will be there.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:38 pm

:!: :!: :!: :!:

Al_Decisis

New

Post by Al_Decisis » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:41 pm

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. I've been a wreck all day and I cannot wait for all of this to be over.

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Hopefully I'll be drunk when they are released. I didn't sleep a wink last night. Was in the the office completely distracted BUT WIDE AWAKE.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”