Official Kaplan July 2017 Bar Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Yugihoe

Silver

Re: Official Kaplan July 2017 Bar Thread

Post by Yugihoe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:48 am

Holy shit the torts lecturer speaks slow. Even at 2.0 it seems like he's at 1.0. Which is bad because my attention keeps wandering on to other things.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:18 pm

Yugihoe wrote:Holy shit the torts lecturer speaks slow. Even at 2.0 it seems like he's at 1.0. Which is bad because my attention keeps wandering on to other things.
Yeah, I watched every single one of his videos at 2x and had no real issues keeping up with the notes until towards the very end of the final day where I had to slow him down to 1.5x a couple of times.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:34 pm

For the first time since the program started I'm at 100%. Of course it's lies and a false 100%, but the three digits please my gerbil brain.

Now to work on the stuff I skipped.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:36 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:For the first time since the program started I'm at 100%. Of course it's lies and a false 100%, but the three digits please my gerbil brain.

Now to work on the stuff I skipped.
:lol:

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:38 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:Holy shit the torts lecturer speaks slow. Even at 2.0 it seems like he's at 1.0. Which is bad because my attention keeps wandering on to other things.
Yeah, I watched every single one of his videos at 2x and had no real issues keeping up with the notes until towards the very end of the final day where I had to slow him down to 1.5x a couple of times.
Yeah. Normally, I cannot follow 1.5. But I can easily follow him 2x. The Contracts dude is still my favorite. I hated Contracts at my school and thought Ks will be awful but the lecturer actually made me understand it quite well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SurfLaw

New

Post by SurfLaw » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:20 am

I love Roosevelt for Con Law

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:28 am

ManoftheHour wrote:The Contracts dude is still my favorite. I hated Contracts at my school and thought Ks will be awful but the lecturer actually made me understand it quite well.
I actually really liked my Ks professor in school, but that crap was over 2 years ago and I did zero Ks related stuff at any of my three internships. So really enjoyed the Contracts dude as well. Some of his humor was pretty deadpan, but it was a nice change of pace.
SurfLaw wrote:I love Roosevelt for Con Law
Ole' Kermit is great so far. He is so insanely the polar opposite of my school Con. Law professor (who was like 100 years old) that I'm actually kind of excited to watch his lectures.

SurfLaw

New

Post by SurfLaw » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:The Contracts dude is still my favorite. I hated Contracts at my school and thought Ks will be awful but the lecturer actually made me understand it quite well.
I actually really liked my Ks professor in school, but that crap was over 2 years ago and I did zero Ks related stuff at any of my three internships. So really enjoyed the Contracts dude as well. Some of his humor was pretty deadpan, but it was a nice change of pace.
SurfLaw wrote:I love Roosevelt for Con Law
Ole' Kermit is great so far. He is so insanely the polar opposite of my school Con. Law professor (who was like 100 years old) that I'm actually kind of excited to watch his lectures.
I went to his school, but unfortunately was in a different section and had another prof., so I guess this is my chance lol.

FLgrad2TN

New

Post by FLgrad2TN » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Does anyone know what score we should be aiming for on tomorrow's mid-term?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SurfLaw

New

Post by SurfLaw » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:01 pm

FLgrad2TN wrote:Does anyone know what score we should be aiming for on tomorrow's mid-term?
Is yours tomorrow? Mine says Friday, I have tomorrow "off" according to the syllabus.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:11 pm

I haven't done any of the foundation stuff, and likely won't at this point, so I don't think I can hit 100% unless I full on lie and waste time checking boxes. Printed out all of the quicknotes and will read them before I take the midterm on sat (a day late, but whatever).

I feel like fatigue has hit a bit...

scubasteve2

New

Post by scubasteve2 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:06 pm

What percentage should we be getting on MBQ's and CPQ's at this point? Already forgetting stuff lol.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:54 pm

Will Kaplan have proctored mock exams by the end?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:08 pm

SurfLaw wrote:
FLgrad2TN wrote:Does anyone know what score we should be aiming for on tomorrow's mid-term?
Is yours tomorrow? Mine says Friday, I have tomorrow "off" according to the syllabus.
Me too.

jdk

New

Post by jdk » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:34 am

Don't worry too much about that. Your score will not be great; the point of the midterm is to help simulate the fatigue of test day while reinforcing more nuanced areas of the MBE. The questions you get wrong are the most valuable because they force you to revisit material you probably thought you knew cold. TAKE THE TIME TO REVIEW THE EXPLANATIONS.

If memory serves, the kaplan midterm average is 110-115ish. I would say as long as you're over 100, you're on track assuming you maintain the trajectory.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:37 am

TheoO wrote:I haven't done any of the foundation stuff, and likely won't at this point, so I don't think I can hit 100% unless I full on lie and waste time checking boxes. Printed out all of the quicknotes and will read them before I take the midterm on sat (a day late, but whatever).

I feel like fatigue has hit a bit...
Luckily, the foundation videos don't count towards the percentage complete, it starts on the first day of the actual course. Keep your head up, you can do it!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:48 pm

What should we be aiming for on the essays? 65 right? I was pretty happy with my last two essays (after a string of 50-55s) until I read that 65 meant I "will marginally pass or marginally fail." This shit seems impossible. I honestly don't think I can write a better essay than those two and they were on my best topic too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SurfLaw

New

Post by SurfLaw » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:58 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:What should we be aiming for on the essays? 65 right? I was pretty happy with my last two essays (after a string of 50-55s) until I read that 65 meant I "will marginally pass or marginally fail." This shit seems impossible. I honestly don't think I can write a better essay than those two and they were on my best topic too.
I think consistent 65s is the target, with a 70 sprinkled in here and there, from what I've read, but I could be wrong. I'd imagine with 65s and strong MBE you can pass safely, but I've never taken this test, that's just what I remember reading.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:08 pm

Out of curiosity where are you getting these 70, 65, 55, etc. numbers for the essays? On my essays they are just graded 0-6.

Also, just finished the MBE midterm. Moved up 9% over my diagnostic, no idea if that is good or bad. Some of the Qs in the Midterm were absolutely foreign to me (though to be fair I didn't do the quick-sheets so maybe the substance was in there by chance). Still lots of work to be done regardless.

[Side note since it was discussed, my Midterm was scheduled for tomorrow but I did it today just to give more time for review]

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:52 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Out of curiosity where are you getting these 70, 65, 55, etc. numbers for the essays? On my essays they are just graded 0-6.

Also, just finished the MBE midterm. Moved up 9% over my diagnostic, no idea if that is good or bad. Some of the Qs in the Midterm were absolutely foreign to me (though to be fair I didn't do the quick-sheets so maybe the substance was in there by chance). Still lots of work to be done regardless.

[Side note since it was discussed, my Midterm was scheduled for tomorrow but I did it today just to give more time for review]
Practice-->Essays-->Review (for that particular submitted essay).

Should be under the "Grader Feedback" column on the right. At least on my screen, it's the first thing I see. Below should the breakdown of the scores for proficiency in each element of IRAC as well as the main issues.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:10 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Should be under the "Grader Feedback" column on the right. At least on my screen, it's the first thing I see. Below should the breakdown of the scores for proficiency in each element of IRAC as well as the main issues.
Thanks for the help! This is interesting though, as this is all I see:

Below that is just the IRAC review, a Skills section, and then additional grader commentary. I'll submit a few more essays and see if anything changes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pass302

New

Post by Pass302 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Should be under the "Grader Feedback" column on the right. At least on my screen, it's the first thing I see. Below should the breakdown of the scores for proficiency in each element of IRAC as well as the main issues.
Thanks for the help! This is interesting though, as this is all I see:

Below that is just the IRAC review, a Skills section, and then additional grader commentary. I'll submit a few more essays and see if anything changes.
Every state has a different grading system, so maybe you are in different states, thus different scoring. Maryland grades 0-6 while Florida grades 0-100.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:37 pm

Pass302 wrote:Every state has a different grading system, so maybe you are in different states, thus different scoring. Maryland grades 0-6 while Florida grades 0-100.
Ah, I bet that's it! Shows how little I know about the scoring process. :oops:

Thanks!

SurfLaw

New

Post by SurfLaw » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:36 pm

So just got a 94 on the midterm...I assume that's not a very good place to be this far into studying.

What is a "passing" score on the MBE in CA?

tacocohcevoli

New

Post by tacocohcevoli » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:47 pm

SurfLaw wrote:So just got a 94 on the midterm...I assume that's not a very good place to be this far into studying.

What is a "passing" score on the MBE in CA?
I somehow went down from getting an average of 70% on practice QB sets to a 51% on the midterm, so I feel your pain... :/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”