Official Kaplan July 2017 Bar Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Yugihoe

Silver

Re: Official Kaplan July 2017 Bar Thread

Post by Yugihoe » Wed May 31, 2017 8:00 pm

Has anyone used the fleX Flashcards yet? Mine are not loading for some reason, and wanted to see if it was just me.

Asroma

New

Post by Asroma » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:07 pm

I have have and it works fine.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:43 am

Damn is there anyway to download the audio or video at 1.5x or 2.0x on the app? Looks like they only offer 1.0 :(

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:14 pm

CPAn00b wrote:Damn is there anyway to download the audio or video at 1.5x or 2.0x on the app? Looks like they only offer 1.0 :(
Sadly not that I've found. I was traveling this week and was pretty bummed when I found that.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:48 pm

Welp, got some medical stuff out of the way and now I no longer have any valid excuses to procrastinate, guess I better start trying to catch back up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Sorry for the triple post, but has anyone else had issues where the lecture skips over the checkpoint quiz without allowing you to answer the questions?

Asroma

New

Post by Asroma » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:09 pm

I just ignore it and then go back to the checkpoint at the end of the lecture.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Asroma wrote:I just ignore it and then go back to the checkpoint at the end of the lecture.
That's what I've been doing, but today it locked me out of the checkpoint quiz and marked every answer incorrect and wouldn't let me change them. I messaged Kaplan about it just to see, and their response was so bad it was kind of funny.

That's for letting me know that at least part of my problem isn't limited to my PC though!

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:00 pm

My scores on these MBE bank questions are scaring the shit out of me. I consistently hover between around mid 50 or so to 60s. Friends are doing up to 70, but I cant seem to nail these answers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Asroma

New

Post by Asroma » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:40 am

TheoO wrote:My scores on these MBE bank questions are scaring the shit out of me. I consistently hover between around mid 50 or so to 60s. Friends are doing up to 70, but I cant seem to nail these answers.
I thought it was just me! I heard you need to wait till midterm to see where you are. I honestly hope that's the case.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Yea, I guess I'll keep going along. At least, took another set of evidence MBE questions and did fairly well ~80%, so there's hope that I can learn this material. I only need to find the time to do stuff like reviewing flashcards, or doing those memorization quizes, which seem difficult to find the time for since there is so much to do.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:48 pm

I've had a lot of variability on the MBQ quizzes. From as low as 40 to as high as 90, I think it's still pretty early so I wouldn't be too concerned yet.

As for the memorization quicksheet things, the Contracts one was 21 freaking pages long. I ended up just skipping more than a handful of questions in it.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Anyone else having trouble finding time to actually study the material? The amount of work each day is completely unreasonable and I just cannot find the time to both be "caught up" and have the time to actually go over my outlines.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:35 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Anyone else having trouble finding time to actually study the material? The amount of work each day is completely unreasonable and I just cannot find the time to both be "caught up" and have the time to actually go over my outlines.
Oh yeah. I've been behind anyways due to graduation (after the program started) and a surgery, so I'm probably not a good proxy. However, even going 7 days a week doing more than 1 per day it's going to take me like 2.5 weeks to catch up. So I've been trying to prioritize things like MBE practice Qs over 3 hour long videos telling me to do IRAC.

Desert rat

New

Post by Desert rat » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:03 pm

sam_tx wrote:Hi guys!
I have been seeing a lot of posts around on people suggesting supplementing bar prep courses with AdaptiBar or Critical Pass. Do you think we need any additional MBE prep materials? I am hoping to stay on track with the Kaplan timetable and complete the practice questions there but the number of people suggesting supplements are getting me worried. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated! Maybe I should just stop reading forums and not give myself the added pressure!
Hey Sam tx,

I only used Kaplan for the Feb. 2017 Calif. bar and did extremely well on the MBEs. Most helpful for me was taking the time to listen to Chris Fromm review every single question/answer on the Midterm and Final MBE tests, and then I took very brief notes as to the ones I missed, or got right, but didn't know why. I didn't use any other MBE supplement...and wouldn't have had time anyways!

Unfortunately the PTs killed me, so I am taking it again in July. :( The good news for Calif. is that there will only be one 90 minute PT this time.

Good luck to you.

scubasteve2

New

Post by scubasteve2 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:14 pm

The suggested times are absurd.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:31 pm

scubasteve2 wrote:The suggested times are absurd.
My favorite is when it tells you to do and review 33 MBE questions in 20 minutes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

scubasteve2

New

Post by scubasteve2 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:13 pm

what kinds of activities are people skipping to keep pace? i often don't have time to review my outlines after the videos. i also tend to do 22 mbe q's instead of 30. but i'm also working full time

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:26 pm

scubasteve2 wrote:The suggested times are absurd.
lmao, there was one day where I kid you not I counted like 10-11 hours. Considering that I take longer than usual on stuff like the lectures, yeah, okay Kaplan.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:27 pm

scubasteve2 wrote:what kinds of activities are people skipping to keep pace? i often don't have time to review my outlines after the videos. i also tend to do 22 mbe q's instead of 30. but i'm also working full time
Nonconsecutive wrote: 3 hour long videos telling me to do IRAC.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:29 pm

The torts guy speaks so slowly that this is the only time that I can actually view the videos at 2x speed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jdk

New

Post by jdk » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Re: study efficiency

The suggested workload gets absurd fast. After about two weeks I realized that I was better off scrapping the bar notes completely and taking my own notes in my own words during the lectures. True, that meant slowing down and pausing a lot. But I found spending 5 hours doing that was FAR more beneficial than doing 3 hours of lecture followed by 2 hours of review. Putting the lectures in your own words forces you to engage with the material beyond just waiting to fill in blanks. My notes for MBE topics totaled around 10-15 pages (compared with 50-75 for the bar notes), which made things so much more manageable when it came time for final review.

sam_tx

New

Post by sam_tx » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:34 pm

scubasteve2 wrote:what kinds of activities are people skipping to keep pace? i often don't have time to review my outlines after the videos. i also tend to do 22 mbe q's instead of 30. but i'm also working full time
I'm struggling with time management too! I have a long list of pending practice exercises to do, and don't know when to fit them in. Its harder for me as I'm a foreign lawyer and almost all these concepts (especially the procedural subjects) are completely new to me (or should I say foreign to me :lol: )

I have only managed to complete 2 essays for grading, no P&E review yet, and some MBE practice. Anyone who wishes to let me know what a terrible job I'm doing, please do so.

I keep at around 70% of the "progress to date" chart, so hopefully I will be fine if I just up my practice sessions.

How much practice are people getting in?

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:30 pm

I haven't done any essays or the MPTs yet. Am I being bad?

Also, I generally don't "review your outline" like they ask us to do right after the videos or the flash flex cards.

I only watch lectures, fill in the notes, and do MBE questions so far.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Yugihoe wrote:I haven't done any essays or the MPTs yet. Am I being bad?

Also, I generally don't "review your outline" like they ask us to do right after the videos or the flash flex cards.

I only watch lectures, fill in the notes, and do MBE questions so far.
Doing exactly the same. I started a bit behind, so want to get caught up to speed on the MBE sections first and then focus on the MEE/MPT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”