Official Kaplan July 2017 Bar Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Asroma

New

Re: Official Kaplan July 2017 Bar Thread

Post by Asroma » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:33 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:Passed NC with Kaplan...so if that offers any encouragement to anybody. NC doesn't release your score if you passed, so I can't be of any actual help except to drop by with a hopeful word. Y'all did great.
Congratulations! Being paranoid here, but do you remember your Kaplan's scores? Thanks!

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:19 pm

Asroma wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:Passed NC with Kaplan...so if that offers any encouragement to anybody. NC doesn't release your score if you passed, so I can't be of any actual help except to drop by with a hopeful word. Y'all did great.
Congratulations! Being paranoid here, but do you remember your Kaplan's scores? Thanks!
Thanks! Yeah, on the diagnostic I got a raw score of exactly 50%. On the mid-term I got 62%. On the Final I got 68%. I practiced some more and got my 50 question practice sets to around the 71-72% by day of exam. I had steady improvement which was nice, but my friend had scores that were all over the board (78% on the midterm, 64% on the final) and she passed.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:50 pm

Damage Over Time wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:
Damage Over Time wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:Do we have to send our books back? I don't recall paying a deposit.
I never sent mine back and never got any sort of follow up email about it (july 2016 taker)
Does that mean we can sell it, or nah?
I don't remember reading anything about not being able to sell it, but you should probably check
Thanks, I checked and I see no restrictions for the psychical material (we just forfeit our deposit).
I'm going to sell mine since they are completely unused/unmarked.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:46 am

Since I was curious as well (and not as industrious as Yugihoe to do research) I asked a friend who was one of the Kaplan student reps. Per them there is zero restraint on reselling the books beyond losing your deposit.

I mean obviously don't copy them and sell multiple copies, :lol: , but you can sell the set you have without worry.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:24 am

Does anyone know if you can view your Kaplan quiz/test scores after the course is over? I've had a couple of people ask me what my diagnostics, etc. were in relationship to bar results and I wasn't sure if it was even possible to see your scores anymore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone know if you can view your Kaplan quiz/test scores after the course is over? I've had a couple of people ask me what my diagnostics, etc. were in relationship to bar results and I wasn't sure if it was even possible to see your scores anymore.
I can't access anything except the payment history for my course. It says that the course expired on 7/27/17.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:53 am

hipcatdaddio wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone know if you can view your Kaplan quiz/test scores after the course is over? I've had a couple of people ask me what my diagnostics, etc. were in relationship to bar results and I wasn't sure if it was even possible to see your scores anymore.
I can't access anything except the payment history for my course. It says that the course expired on 7/27/17.
Thanks, looks like we're in the same boat. Not a big deal, but figured I'd ask!

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:35 pm

Any Kaplan folks who have received their results who would like to share their final practice MBE score vs their scaled actual score (for those jurisdictions that report)?

It appears to be a really big jump from last practice to actual MBE for the folks in the Barbri thread and the Themis thread. I'm just wondering how Kaplan stands up.

Thanks!

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:33 pm

dans1006 wrote:Any Kaplan folks who have received their results who would like to share their final practice MBE score vs their scaled actual score (for those jurisdictions that report)?

It appears to be a really big jump from last practice to actual MBE for the folks in the Barbri thread and the Themis thread. I'm just wondering how Kaplan stands up.

Thanks!
I received a 130 on the Kaplan practice MBE and a scaled 156.3 on the actual MBE for Utah. Coincidentally, this score is almost identical to my first MBE 9 years ago for NV, which was a 156.6, and then I used BarBri. So I think both courses are comparable in terms of preparing one for the bar, or at least on the MBE. But I say for the entire bar exam because I passed both on my first attempt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dans1006

Bronze

Post by dans1006 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:45 am

unlvcrjchick wrote:
dans1006 wrote:Any Kaplan folks who have received their results who would like to share their final practice MBE score vs their scaled actual score (for those jurisdictions that report)?

Thanks!
I received a 130 on the Kaplan practice MBE and a scaled 156.3 on the actual MBE for Utah. Coincidentally, this score is almost identical to my first MBE 9 years ago for NV, which was a 156.6, and then I used BarBri. So I think both courses are comparable in terms of preparing one for the bar, or at least on the MBE. But I say for the entire bar exam because I passed both on my first attempt.
This is really great to hear. I swapped focus during the last couple of weeks to work on the Essay portion of the test and by the time I did my final MBE practice, my score slipped back to a 121. Luckily, I'm in a state where I only need a scaled score of 132, so gauging the bump from final practice MBE to scaled score, I'm thinking I'm in the clear. But that's just baseless speculation.

We'll see at some point during the next two weeks.

Thanks for posting.

unlvcrjchick

New

Post by unlvcrjchick » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:40 pm

dans1006 wrote:
unlvcrjchick wrote:

Thanks!
This is really great to hear. I swapped focus during the last couple of weeks to work on the Essay portion of the test and by the time I did my final MBE practice, my score slipped back to a 121. Luckily, I'm in a state where I only need a scaled score of 132, so gauging the bump from final practice MBE to scaled score, I'm thinking I'm in the clear. But that's just baseless speculation.

We'll see at some point during the next two weeks.

Thanks for posting.
No problem, and I don't think it's baseless speculation. Everyone I knew who took the bar exam has had his or her scores significantly increase on the real thing, so I'm sure that will prove to be the case with you, too. The wait really is the hardest part.

Good luck to you!

JShades33

New

Post by JShades33 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:33 am

Thanks!
My final raw score for Kaplan was 137. Just received results for NJ, MBE score was 161.9. Have you received results yet? Good luck.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:20 am

JShades33 wrote:

Thanks!
My final raw score for Kaplan was 137. Just received results for NJ, MBE score was 161.9. Have you received results yet? Good luck.
That's passing right? Congrats. I scored 10 points lower on the final raw, still waiting for NY to come out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AmicusCuriae6

New

Post by AmicusCuriae6 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Kaplan Midterm & Final: 100
MBE: 134
UBE: 272-Pass

Walked in feeling confident, walked out like wth was that exam. At least in regards to the MBE. I felt comfortable with my MEEs and MPTs even though I know I didn't give the ideal answers for the last two since I was in a rush for time. I literally wrote just a paragraph for both answers. And the 2nd MPT was also a rushed job on my part. I finished with a conclusion but it wasnt my best work.
For those still waiting, may this be hopeful! Stay confident

JShades33

New

Post by JShades33 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:08 pm

Yugihoe wrote:
JShades33 wrote:

Thanks!

That's passing right? Congrats. I scored 10 points lower on the final raw, still waiting for NY to come out.
Yes. Thank you, you guys kept me sane during prep. I was a retaker
In February (Self-Study)
MBE - 136
UBE - 264 = Failed by 2 points

July
Kaplan Final Review - 137
MBE - 162
UBE - 308

Kaplan definitely made the difference. Hang in there and good luck.
Last edited by JShades33 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JShades33

New

Post by JShades33 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:13 pm

AmicusCuriae6 wrote:Kaplan Midterm & Final: 100
MBE: 134
UBE: 272-Pass

Walked in feeling confident, walked out like wth was that exam. At least in regards to the MBE. I felt comfortable with my MEEs and MPTs even though I know I didn't give the ideal answers for the last two since I was in a rush for time. I literally wrote just a paragraph for both answers. And the 2nd MPT was also a rushed job on my part. I finished with a conclusion but it wasnt my best work.
For those still waiting, may this be hopeful! Stay confident
I can relate to this as well, I felt my second MPT was nowhere near as complete as my first but I too just made sure to add some sort of conclusion to make it seem complete - as we were instructed. I was surprised to hear so many people talking during breaks and noting how they didn’t quite finish the second MPT. So I’m guessing that simply making it appear like you finished gives you a leg up in the grading.

On my essays I definitely felt like a reached on two answers but made an effort to issue spot and reach - what I thought were - sound legal conclusion.

Asroma

New

Post by Asroma » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:12 am

Passed NY!

Kaplan final 127
MBE 139.7

Total score 270

Thank you all for helping me through this journey!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:48 am

Passed!

Kaplan midterm:116
Kaplan final: 106
MBE: 147.1
UBE: 299

Completed 100% of the course, 8 MPTs and 10 Essays

As you can see, after the final I thought I was doomed. I even emailed Chris Fromm freaking out. Kaplan was great and a lot of their questions/ material was on the bar. I also used the critical pass cards apps and Emmanuels Strategies & Tactics. Also pay attention to that website that predicts the bar exam essays. She was almost 100% right the last couple of times.

tacocohcevoli

New

Post by tacocohcevoli » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:01 am

Passed NY!

Ballparking because I don't remember, but:

Midterm: 102 (I think I got 51% right)
Final: 120s
UBE: 314

I didn't practice essays, only QBank. I was really lazy about studying until July (I.e., did not complete all the problem sets during the course, and then ratcheted up to 50-100Qs per day once I saw that finals grade).

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:49 am

Passed NY.

Kaplan final: 117
MBE: 163.6
UBE: 305

I drilled MBE questions from the QBank and Emmanuel's for the last two weeks leading up to the exam and also used Critical Pass flashcards for review during this period. Did not bother with the essay workshops and exercises, but I did outline about 30 MEE prompts.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:16 pm

Passed NY.

Kaplan midterm: 124
Kaplan final: 127
MBE: 153
Total : 293

I did almost all of the Kaplan multiple choice questions in the quiz bank (think I had like 200 questions left) because my strategy was autopass. I did 0 essays and 0 MPTs. I watched one of the MPT and essay videos though to learn about the formats. The week before the exam I read maybe 20 essay prompts and read the answers for them too. Generally did like 4-5 hours of studying a day throughout the summer, which consisted of watching the lectures at 1.5-2.0 depending on how fast the lecturer talked and then doing multiple choice questions. Never read any outlines, flash cards, etc. So it's definitely possible to pass by just focusing on multiple choice and watching all the videos.

That being said I didn't cover conflict of laws at all and it ended up being an essay on the exam haha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SchneefaLongoria

New

Post by SchneefaLongoria » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:29 am

Passed GA.

127 midterm
118 final

155 on the MBE and 301 overall.

Would definitely take Kaplan again.

jdk

New

Post by jdk » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:51 am

congrats to those who passed!

even if you ended up passing with flying colors, the bar exam is no joke...you guys should be proud!

S0M21L

New

Post by S0M21L » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Asroma wrote:Passed NY!

Kaplan final 127
MBE 139.7

Total score 270

Thank you all for helping me through this journey!
Congratulations!

S0M21L

New

Post by S0M21L » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:49 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:Passed!

Kaplan midterm:116
Kaplan final: 106
UBE: 299

Completed 100% of the course, 8 MPTs and 10 Essays

As you can see, after the final I thought I was doomed. I even emailed Chris Fromm freaking out. Kaplan was great and a lot of their questions/ material was on the bar. I also used the critical pass cards apps and Emmanuels Strategies & Tactics. Also pay attention to that website that predicts the bar exam essays. She was almost 100% right the last couple of times.
Congratulations!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”