Official Kaplan July 2017 Bar Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tacocohcevoli

New

Re: Official Kaplan July 2017 Bar Thread

Post by tacocohcevoli » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Fuck yeah, took an 100q QB quiz and got a 79%. Not something to write home about based on how others have been doing here, but it's a huge improvement for me. Going to do another one, and hope I can keep the score over 75%.

Asroma

New

Post by Asroma » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:50 pm

tacocohcevoli wrote:Fuck yeah, took an 100q QB quiz and got a 79%. Not something to write home about based on how others have been doing here, but it's a huge improvement for me. Going to do another one, and hope I can keep the score over 75%.
That's great! I just did the last 44 Qs on negligence, since I read somewhere that negligence alone is worth 10% of the whole MBE. Scored only 74%, but I think that Qs are definitely harder at this point.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:55 pm

I've pretty much hit a plateau of ~70-74%. The subjects seem to be about even, or within a narrow margin, so I dunno how to bring it up to 80% or so. I guess just do more. Sucks to feel like I'm not internalizing my error as much

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:14 pm

tacocohcevoli wrote:Fuck yeah, took an 100q QB quiz and got a 79%. Not something to write home about based on how others have been doing here, but it's a huge improvement for me. Going to do another one, and hope I can keep the score over 75%.
Nice!

nybar2017

New

Post by nybar2017 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 pm

For the July 2016 Civ Pro question, Kap suggests the following for the statement of law:
The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure provide that personal jurisdiction is proper in the federal court if it would be proper in the state court in the state in which the federal court sits. Personal jurisdiction in a state court is constitutional based on: (1) sufficient minimum contacts with the state that being haled into court there would not offend traditional notions of fair play and substantial justice; (2) residency; (3) consent ; (4) service of process; or (5) substantial business.

In the question, the guy was served with process in the state in question; so clearly only (4) service of process mattered. Is your sense that we should still list all those other items in our statement of law that are clearly not relevant? I recall the prof who did the essay workshop said don't just post lists in our answers, focus on what is actually in issue.

Thanks
Last edited by nybar2017 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jdk

New

Post by jdk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:46 pm

nybar2017 wrote: Is your sense that we should still list all those other items in our statement of law that are clearly not relevant? I recall the prof that looked like a clown without makeup said don't just post lists in our answers, focus on what is actually in issue.

Thanks
Try to state the general rule in its most reasonably complete form. There's no need, for example, to highlight the potential nuance of consent: that one can actually make a special appearance to contest personal jurisdiction without waiving the defense. That's the kind of information that makes its way into a bloated rule statement...where its clear the writer is just trying to dump rules in the hope for points.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Is it just me or is the website down?
ETA: Working fine now

nybar2017

New

Post by nybar2017 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:15 pm

heythatslife wrote:Is it just me or is the website down?
ETA: Working fine now
Not working for me atm.

-dasein-

New

Post by -dasein- » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:36 pm

np1211 wrote:Anyone have any advice on how to approach Commercial Paper? I feel completely lost, I am getting very lost in the language and just can't seem to get hold of this one subject.
Can you expand on this? In what context?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

np1211

New

Post by np1211 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:45 pm

-dasein- wrote:
np1211 wrote:Anyone have any advice on how to approach Commercial Paper? I feel completely lost, I am getting very lost in the language and just can't seem to get hold of this one subject.
Can you expand on this? In what context?
is there an easy way to understand this subject matter? I think since my last post, i understand the basics but still when i do practice exams i don't seem to end up with the right answer so obviously my knowledge base is lacking in Commercial paper. Is there a quick guide or best way to understand , so i just put down something on the exam, because right now i might as well leave it blank because this is one subject where i go completely blank.

tacocohcevoli

New

Post by tacocohcevoli » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Under Federal Rules of Evidence 803(24) and 804(b)(5), the federal "catchall" exceptions to the rule excluding hearsay evidence, relevant testimony that might be excluded because it does not fall within one of the other hearsay exceptions, may be admitted to prove a material fact if the testimony has strong probative value and its admission serves the interests of justice. However, the dog is not a hearsay declarant or a witness; he is a dog.
I can't, I'm done. :lol:

MRNG

New

Post by MRNG » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:52 pm

Hey guys,

Given there isn't much time left to study, have any of you heard anything about how reliable are the "JD Advising" predictions regarding essay topics? I ended up with less time for review because I got behind and I want to know if I should rely on the predictions and review the predicted topics. I understand that relying on predictions is, of course, a gamble. However, if the predictions have been decent in the past, I can at least know the gamble is worth it.

Asroma

New

Post by Asroma » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:15 am

I was pretty confident the whole week doing my 50 Qs with an overall of 75%. Today 52%. Kill me now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:48 am

Asroma wrote:I was pretty confident the whole week doing my 50 Qs with an overall of 75%. Today 52%. Kill me now.
It's ok! Just read the answers, make a mental note that you can do better, and move forward! it's too close to test time to take a hit to our confidence. You can do it, you've been doing it, you got tripped up, but you won't on the bar!

Asroma

New

Post by Asroma » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:02 am

mandyjay11 wrote: It's ok! Just read the answers, make a mental note that you can do better, and move forward! it's too close to test time to take a hit to our confidence. You can do it, you've been doing it, you got tripped up, but you won't on the bar!
Thank you! I needed this!

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:20 am

Asroma wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote: It's ok! Just read the answers, make a mental note that you can do better, and move forward! it's too close to test time to take a hit to our confidence. You can do it, you've been doing it, you got tripped up, but you won't on the bar!
Thank you! I needed this!
:) :) :)

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:22 am

Does anyone know what the average score is for the Kaplan final MBE? In the review video they said we'd get an email with the average score, but I haven't gotten that yet and I'm not sure if it's because I'm only signed up for the final 3-day review instead of the entire Kaplan course.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:27 am

snapdragon25 wrote:Does anyone know what the average score is for the Kaplan final MBE? In the review video they said we'd get an email with the average score, but I haven't gotten that yet and I'm not sure if it's because I'm only signed up for the final 3-day review instead of the entire Kaplan course.
national average is 120.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:28 am

Asroma wrote:I was pretty confident the whole week doing my 50 Qs with an overall of 75%. Today 52%. Kill me now.
Probably burnt out. Stop and relax. You know your shit by now. No need to psyche yourself out.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:34 am

Also, I've noticed that now that I'm getting down to less than 1000 questions left in the Qbank, more and more of them questions have less than half of the students choosing the right answer. I wonder if they save these kinds of questions for the very end on purpose. FYI - I have about 700 Q's left in the QBank.

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:35 am

TheoO wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:Does anyone know what the average score is for the Kaplan final MBE? In the review video they said we'd get an email with the average score, but I haven't gotten that yet and I'm not sure if it's because I'm only signed up for the final 3-day review instead of the entire Kaplan course.
national average is 120.
Thanks! Woooo got a 136 :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:46 am

snapdragon25 wrote:
TheoO wrote:
national average is 120.
Thanks! Woooo got a 136 :D
lol TLS skews above average.

tacocohcevoli

New

Post by tacocohcevoli » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:46 am

mandyjay11 wrote:Also, I've noticed that now that I'm getting down to less than 1000 questions left in the Qbank, more and more of them questions have less than half of the students choosing the right answer. I wonder if they save these kinds of questions for the very end on purpose. FYI - I have about 700 Q's left in the QBank.
I think so. My questions are also getting a lot more esoteric as I keep doing new ones.

I'm almost inclined to just stop doing new questions and start doing sets that use old/new questions, just to make sure I actually learned as much as I thought I did from doing the previous tests. The random rules are useful for a point here or there but I don't know that they're really going to make or break my score. Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong though.

nybar2017

New

Post by nybar2017 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:54 am

tacocohcevoli wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:Also, I've noticed that now that I'm getting down to less than 1000 questions left in the Qbank, more and more of them questions have less than half of the students choosing the right answer. I wonder if they save these kinds of questions for the very end on purpose. FYI - I have about 700 Q's left in the QBank.
I think so. My questions are also getting a lot more esoteric as I keep doing new ones.

I'm almost inclined to just stop doing new questions and start doing sets that use old/new questions, just to make sure I actually learned as much as I thought I did from doing the previous tests. The random rules are useful for a point here or there but I don't know that they're really going to make or break my score. Maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong though.
Yeah I'm in a similar boat. The last question set I learned: (1) A landowner has a duty of care to warn a police officer of known dangers, as police officers are always licensees, even if a building is abandoned.

mandyjay11

Silver

Post by mandyjay11 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:20 pm

tacocohcevoli wrote:

Agreed. I think I'm going to switch over to my Emmanuels S&T book now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”