PA Bar Exam - July 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

PA Bar Exam - July 2017

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:48 am

Figured I'd make a thread for those taking the PA Bar in July 2017. Happy studying :)

nealander

New

Re: PA Bar Exam - July 2017

Post by nealander » Mon May 22, 2017 12:13 pm

Thought I would post this for the good of the order, and welcome suggestions.

Sat for the July 2016 PA and NJ bar exam. Passed the NJ bar. Missed the PA bar by 3 points with a very poor PT score, and passing essay and MBE. Re-taking the PA bar July 2017.

No plans to watch lectures this time around. I found that the essay topics were easy to study in PA because they almost always come in the same order, they tend to circulate old essay topics, and the Barbri PA essay materials were spot on, very easy to study from. The key issues tested are great summations of the rule.

The MBE I found much more difficult, and the second time around I find that I am having to trudge through the outlines to prepare. Reading and re-reading the outlines, then practice questions is my strategy this time around.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Tue May 23, 2017 11:20 am

Checking in. Using themis

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:00 pm

nealander wrote:Thought I would post this for the good of the order, and welcome suggestions.

Sat for the July 2016 PA and NJ bar exam. Passed the NJ bar. Missed the PA bar by 3 points with a very poor PT score, and passing essay and MBE. Re-taking the PA bar July 2017.

No plans to watch lectures this time around. I found that the essay topics were easy to study in PA because they almost always come in the same order, they tend to circulate old essay topics, and the Barbri PA essay materials were spot on, very easy to study from. The key issues tested are great summations of the rule.

The MBE I found much more difficult, and the second time around I find that I am having to trudge through the outlines to prepare. Reading and re-reading the outlines, then practice questions is my strategy this time around.
Randomly enough I took the July 2016 PA Exam and failed by a few points as well. My MBE score stunk. I took and passed the UBE in February and my MBE score improved while self-studying and using Emanuel's sixth edition. This time around, I am also self-studying and incorporating Adaptibar. I had the Kaplan materials from last July but I am also using the Barbri PA essay book this time; as you said, it's spot on.

Babum

Bronze

Post by Babum » Wed May 31, 2017 1:08 pm

Checking in! Good luck everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Do we have to wait until June 30 when they send out the admissions tickets to find out where we will be sitting for the exam? Can we assume we will get our first choice?

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:34 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:Do we have to wait until June 30 when they send out the admissions tickets to find out where we will be sitting for the exam? Can we assume we will get our first choice?
Go to your message center and check the message with the subject "Application Accepted." The second to last sentence should say your test location. I am fairly certain everyone gets his/her first choice.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:43 pm

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:Do we have to wait until June 30 when they send out the admissions tickets to find out where we will be sitting for the exam? Can we assume we will get our first choice?
Go to your message center and check the message with the subject "Application Accepted." The second to last sentence should say your test location. I am fairly certain everyone gets his/her first choice.

Wonderful, thank you! I really did not want to stay in a hotel

Catra

New

Post by Catra » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Hey guys - checking in! Anyone else a practicing attorney in another jurisdiction?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nealander

New

Post by nealander » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Catra wrote:Hey guys - checking in! Anyone else a practicing attorney in another jurisdiction?
Yes, practicing attorney here, passed NJ last summer.

Catra

New

Post by Catra » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:55 pm

nealander wrote:
Catra wrote:Hey guys - checking in! Anyone else a practicing attorney in another jurisdiction?
Hello! How are you managing working and studying? I have literally never been this tired in my life.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:51 am

Catra wrote:
nealander wrote:
Hello! How are you managing working and studying? I have literally never been this tired in my life.
I hear you. I studied for the UBE while working full-time from about November-February, but some nights I didn't do anything and other nights I did about two hours worth of work. It's super tiring, especially if your job is not just 9-5 or whatever. My advice is just to make sure you do SOMETHING every night. It's easy to feel like you're not doing enough and that it's useless because people are studying 8-12 hours a day, but if you do SOMETHING (anything) every day you're at least making progress. For what it's worth, I never wrote out a full essay or MPT (similar to the PA PT), but instead read through lots of sample questions and answers and had the various formats in mind for the the performance test. A lot of people would say you're doing yourself a disservice by not writing out full essays and PTs, but I knew that I was fine with time management and just needed to know the BLL and its application. This tactic worked fine for me and saved me precious time.

That said, I'm attempting to study for PA now and way farther behind than I planned to be because 1) my clerkship is now busier; 2) I'm doing all the paperwork and requirements to get admitted into NY; and 3) I'm applying and interviewing for jobs for the fall. It's really hard to manage your very limited time, so at the very least, utilize the weekends.

nealander

New

Post by nealander » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:28 am

Does any know if Barbri anticipates DUI being tested this year? Thought I saw something about a SCOTUS case changing the implied consent law for DUI in PA as it relates to blood tests.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EaglesNation215

New

Post by EaglesNation215 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:42 pm

I have a frequency chart that I bought of eBay before of the most important rules that the Pennsylvania Bar Examiners have previously tested. It has gone over the past 65 Pennsylvania Bar Exams (yes, 33 years of exams) including the latest February 2017 exam. It's an outline frequency chart on how often each concept has appeared and how often each rule has been tested on the Pennsylvania Bar Exam essays. If you are interested contact me via private message.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:38 pm

nealander wrote:Does any know if Barbri anticipates DUI being tested this year? Thought I saw something about a SCOTUS case changing the implied consent law for DUI in PA as it relates to blood tests.
Super delayed, but also curious about this. Has DUI ever been tested since it became a possible topic? I'm not sure if I should bother spending much time looking at it in the last couple of days (I initially skipped it).

carg boat

New

Post by carg boat » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Also curious. I haven't seen a practice essay test it thus far, but I'm just going to try and know the 2 tests used for DUI.

Babum

Bronze

Post by Babum » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:12 am

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:
nealander wrote:Does any know if Barbri anticipates DUI being tested this year? Thought I saw something about a SCOTUS case changing the implied consent law for DUI in PA as it relates to blood tests.
Super delayed, but also curious about this. Has DUI ever been tested since it became a possible topic? I'm not sure if I should bother spending much time looking at it in the last couple of days (I initially skipped it).
It isn't really that long of a topic, so you should probably just give it a look, jic. I think I did a DUI essay? (My mind might just be playing tricks on me at this point)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:32 am

Since we're not allowed to wear a watch for some reason...is it safe to assume they will have a clock visible for us during the exam? These rules are insane

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:55 am

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:Since we're not allowed to wear a watch for some reason...is it safe to assume they will have a clock visible for us during the exam? These rules are insane
At the prior bar exams I've taken, there have always been those huge light up displays with the time situated in various areas throughout the exam room. I haven't been at the Philly Convention Center, but because it's a huge venue and watches aren't allowed, I think it's definitely safe to assume they'll have those set up. The only thing that's annoying is some peoples' seat locations make it a bit more difficult to see the display without moving their head, but it's usually just a minor thing and I wouldn't worry about it. Also don't quote me but I think the exam software enables your clock at the bottom of your computer screen?

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:06 pm

Has anyone taken the exam in the Philly convention center before? I know there's a bag area but I'm wondering if you can take anything you want onto the site and leave it in there. The ticket says don't bring your laptop on Wednesday (MBE Day) but I'm staying at a hotel and need to check out Wednesday morning so I'm hoping I can leave my bag and laptop in the bag area. It's not secure but oh well.

Acdc54

New

Post by Acdc54 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:28 am

Thoughts on the essays?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:09 pm

I don't think that they were unfair. I definitely made some stupid errors because I blanked on PA distinctions for a few essays and had to BS my way though, which I am sure won't pay off since the questions are pretty pointed. I think the last essay was confusing, though. I wasn't quite sure what they were looking for based on how the questions were worded.

Acdc54

New

Post by Acdc54 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:31 pm

I thought the Con Law/Civ Pro essay was brutal

ad2792

New

Post by ad2792 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Acdc54 wrote:I thought the Con Law/Civ Pro essay was brutal
Could not agree more. I was completely thrown off by that one.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:15 pm

Lol I'm embarrassed to admit that I completely blanked that motion to dismiss issue for federal rules. It was tough.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”