MBE - what study tools raised your score? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ashleymdbartaker

New

MBE - what study tools raised your score?

Post by ashleymdbartaker » Tue May 09, 2017 8:30 pm

I was unsuccessful on the bar, due to the MBE. It is very frustrating. I used critical pass flashcards and adaptibar. While this raised my score it was not enough to push my score. My question is do you recommend a tutor for the MBE? For those who did use adaptibar, how did you use it? What study materials/tools do you recommend to raise my MBE score? How did you study for the MBE? Any advice would be appreciated!!

cnk1220

Silver

Re: MBE - what study tools raised your score?

Post by cnk1220 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Last edited by cnk1220 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

bandida

New

Post by bandida » Wed May 10, 2017 11:21 am

ashleymdbartaker wrote:I was unsuccessful on the bar, due to the MBE. It is very frustrating. I used critical pass flashcards and adaptibar. While this raised my score it was not enough to push my score. My question is do you recommend a tutor for the MBE? For those who did use adaptibar, how did you use it? What study materials/tools do you recommend to raise my MBE score? How did you study for the MBE? Any advice would be appreciated!!
I went from 124 to 146 which helped me pass the second time around. I used critical flash, emmanuels, bar max mbe, and the four ope. In total I did about 2000 practice questions. I wrote the rule down for any question I got wrong and I made sure I understood why. I did the same for any question I guessed on.
Last edited by bandida on Wed May 10, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Wed May 10, 2017 12:35 pm

The two most common supplements that students mention to me as helpful are Adaptibar and Zipbar.

Sean (Silverman Bar Prep)
http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

jdk

New

Post by jdk » Thu May 11, 2017 10:36 am

Two things: memorization and variety.

With regard to memorization: many questions can be "beaten" merely by knowing that one little exception to the exception to the usual rule. Getting those points is just a matter of grinding and mashing those into your brain through daily repetition. I don't really think there's a better (or other) way to do it.

With regard to variety: Although I did very well on the MBE (163), my confidence walking out of the exam was low. I attribute that to having only studied questions from one company (Kaplan). If you do enough practice questions from one company, eventually you'll start to identify patterns and scenarios in the way the questions are written, instead of identifying the underlying substance being tested. What this meant for me - and I imagine the same is true for others who are good standardized test-takers - is that my practice became more about being able to beat the Kaplan writers than about knowing the law. On test day, it meant that I was seeing questions written by other people for the first time, and the variety in question formulation was a shock to my system. Ultimately I had memorized enough to overcome that deficiency, but I wish I had obtained practice materials from multiple sources in order to expose myself to a greater variety.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justwanttobealawyer

New

Post by justwanttobealawyer » Thu May 11, 2017 10:44 am

Bump! Looking for the same advice.

Also, does anyone have the Kaplan PMBR red book?? Any version would be ok.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:14 am

Memorize. Drill questions. Strategies and Tactics.

https://www.amazon.com/Strategies-Tacti ... 1454809922

JDEsq2017

New

Post by JDEsq2017 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:43 am

Although I am not a re-taker luckily having passed with a 142 on the MBE in NY I would concur that studying from one source (Kaplan) can be a detriment and I feel that is my only regret during Bar Prep. I got a 130 midterm and 127 Final review, which they state are tough questions I guess. However, during the actual MBE I was shocked by the variety of questions that I saw from topics I did not even study or was made aware of by Kaplan would be tested. I've heard great things about Themis Bar Prep and Adaptibar and suggest you supplement your main course with those so there are no surprises on the exam and begin doubting the past two months you have dedicated to this test.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Thu May 11, 2017 11:54 am

ashleymdbartaker wrote:I was unsuccessful on the bar, due to the MBE. It is very frustrating. I used critical pass flashcards and adaptibar. While this raised my score it was not enough to push my score. My question is do you recommend a tutor for the MBE? For those who did use adaptibar, how did you use it? What study materials/tools do you recommend to raise my MBE score? How did you study for the MBE? Any advice would be appreciated!!
This is not informative. How did YOU use adaptibar/critical pass? How many questions did you do? How did you assess your progress?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

toomanynamesaretaken

New

Post by toomanynamesaretaken » Sun May 14, 2017 11:55 am

Hi, how do you already know your MBE scores? I took the FEB 2017 DC BAR and I only know my results, but not the score.

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Mon May 15, 2017 9:52 pm

1) Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics for the MBE - available on Amazon. Fairly cheap book. Has good tips on approaching the MBE and contains lots of practice questions. Wish I used this book more during my bar prep.

2) Adaptibar (http://www.adaptibar.com) - I didn't use this, but wish I had since it has received raving reviews. The only con to Adaptibar is the price.

3) Barmax MBE Questions (https://getbarmax.com/barmax-mbe-questions/ - supposedly "comparable" to Adaptibar). At only $249, it's a good price, but Adaptibar has tracking tools to individualize your MBE study and show your progress in a method that Barmax can't. But Barmax seems to be more economical than Adaptibar. You also need an iOS device to use it. (I have not personally used this product.)

4) Critical Pass (http://criticalpass.refr.cc/8GVXRT9 - referral link contains a discount code for $$$ off) - Great flashcards for the MBE! You can't apply the law to an MBE question, if you don't know the law. I used Critical Pass for my bar study along with the CMR from Barbri and their simulated questions (although the Barbri questions are very different than actual MBE questions). I also used Emanuel's S&T during my study period, but not as much as I should have since it's a great resource.
Last edited by Neve on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

texas2dclawchick

New

Post by texas2dclawchick » Tue May 16, 2017 4:56 pm

this was my biggest struggle and I recently passed after failing. I studied fulltime while working and didn't take days off.

my advice? LEARN the material. before, I kinda just passively read. but this time I actually sat down and read barbri CMR (got it off of ebay), and really engaged with the material. then to solidify, I would do the critical pass flashcard at night each day for a week, after reading the outline earlier in the week. then, practice adaptibar. then practice essays. all in that same subject. until I did that I wouldn't move on to another subject - it's like a multi-tiered way of getting the information memorized.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Sat May 20, 2017 11:05 pm

texas2dclawchick wrote:this was my biggest struggle and I recently passed after failing. I studied fulltime while working and didn't take days off.

my advice? LEARN the material. before, I kinda just passively read. but this time I actually sat down and read barbri CMR (got it off of ebay), and really engaged with the material. then to solidify, I would do the critical pass flashcard at night each day for a week, after reading the outline earlier in the week. then, practice adaptibar. then practice essays. all in that same subject. until I did that I wouldn't move on to another subject - it's like a multi-tiered way of getting the information memorized.
Engaging with the material is key! I used to write out the black letter law from the Barbri essay book after every practice essay I did (Texas bar examiners tend to repeatedly test on certain topics). I also annotated my Critical Pass notecards and CMR.

Although a lot of people don't find the Barbri lectures useful, they're supposed to encourage learning through engagement and repetition. I personally did watch the majority of them, but on a faster speed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:15 pm

I would review the CMR and then a stack or two of Critical Pass flash cards before doing a practice drill of MBE questions on a single subject or mixed subjects. After that, I would review every question in detail even if I got the question right. After doing this every day, you should notice progress. Repetition is key. I didn't use AdaptiBar, but you should put aside 60-90 minutes every day just for that. You won't see progress unless you dedicate time to improving.

Tiredbuthappyitsover

New

Post by Tiredbuthappyitsover » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:42 am

I went from a 126 to a 141 on my retake. The second time around, I supplemented with Adaptibar and Critical Pass (If anyone needs a discount code for either, PM me with your email address and I'll send you the discount email). I also made a switch from Barbri to Reed Bar Review-helped me on my MBE prep significantly. Reed has a 3 day boot camp for the MBE as well...if you have more questions about this, let me know.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Tiredbuthappyitsover wrote:I went from a 126 to a 141 on my retake. The second time around, I supplemented with Adaptibar and Critical Pass (If anyone needs a discount code for either, PM me with your email address and I'll send you the discount email). I also made a switch from Barbri to Reed Bar Review-helped me on my MBE prep significantly. Reed has a 3 day boot camp for the MBE as well...if you have more questions about this, let me know.
If I could go back in time, I would supplement with Adaptibar.

Bimmerfan

New

Post by Bimmerfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:20 pm

tfer2222 wrote:Memorize. Drill questions. Strategies and Tactics.

This.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Bimmerfan wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:Memorize. Drill questions. Strategies and Tactics.

This.
Second this. Strategies and Tactics is a great tool!

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 pm

toomanynamesaretaken wrote:
Hi, how do you already know your MBE scores? I took the FEB 2017 DC BAR and I only know my results, but not the score.
Some states, like Texas, release the exam taker's scaled MBE score in addition to the overall results. It varies by state. I've also heard that if you fail the bar (in Texas) the examiners give you a more detailed analysis (including scaled MBE score and all scores on the essays) of your exam to help you for the retake.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:33 pm

What was your overall percentage correct on Adaptibar and how many questions did you complete?

Without Adaptibar I got below 125 on the MBE. With Adaptibar I raised my score to 150+ (I believe I got around 160 but CA does not release MBE scores to successful examinees).

I immersed myself in Adaptibar questions, carefully studying the answer explanations for all answer choices. It's important to know why a certain answer choice is correct or incorrect. I complete about 50 questions per day over a roughly 2 month period ending with about 2800 completed questions at 73% correctly answered.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:55 pm

6TimeFailure wrote:

What was your overall percentage correct on Adaptibar and how many questions did you complete?

Without Adaptibar I got below 125 on the MBE. With Adaptibar I raised my score to 150+ (I believe I got around 160 but CA does not release MBE scores to successful examinees).

I immersed myself in Adaptibar questions, carefully studying the answer explanations for all answer choices. It's important to know why a certain answer choice is correct or incorrect. I complete about 50 questions per day over a roughly 2 month period ending with about 2800 completed questions at 73% correctly answered.
73% was total correct over the 2 months? So did you start around 65% and end closer to 80%?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:03 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:
6TimeFailure wrote:

73% was total correct over the 2 months? So did you start around 65% and end closer to 80%?
Yes that is about right. I think it is doable for all bar takers. I did not do anything special other than immerse myself in Adaptibar. I knew the test had increased the MBE weight, so I focused on that a lot. Here is a screen shot of my progress table last summer with Adaptibar

polkadot12

New

Post by polkadot12 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Do questions. I did at least 4,500.
I did all of the kaplan ones, book and online.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:22 pm

I would advise not wasting money on "study tools" and would spend more time on adjusting your strategies. Unlike many law school exams, you cannot buy a passing score to the bar.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”