Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
okaygo

Silver

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Post by okaygo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:10 am

WestWingWatcher wrote:update: I'm getting absolutely wrecked by adaptibar today
It's like I woke up stupid. Evidence questions are destroying me.

General Update: I'm now at 60% overall, and 64% within the last month with it inching up everyday. Last OPE I got a 69% which I was happy with. Starting to feel like i may get WRECKED by essays.

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:45 am

okaygo wrote:
It's like I woke up stupid.
:lol: This perfectly captures my day so far.

okaygo wrote: General Update: I'm now at 60% overall, and 64% within the last month with it inching up everyday. Last OPE I got a 69% which I was happy with. Starting to feel like i may get WRECKED by essays.
Yeahhhh, memorization is tough. And trying to find a balance between preparing for the MEEs while not sacrificing the progress I've made with my MBE score is rough. The decline I've seen just in the few days I took it light on the MBE stuff is worrying.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:54 am

WestWingWatcher wrote:
okaygo wrote:

okaygo wrote: General Update: I'm now at 60% overall, and 64% within the last month with it inching up everyday. Last OPE I got a 69% which I was happy with. Starting to feel like i may get WRECKED by essays.
Yeahhhh, memorization is tough. And trying to find a balance between preparing for the MEEs while not sacrificing the progress I've made with my MBE score is rough. The decline I've seen just in the few days I took it light on the MBE stuff is worrying.
I've caught myself in this trap. Definitely take some time to study the MEEs/State essays if you have them. Studying for MBE sucks (obviously), but it is relatively easy - just fire up adaptibar and run through questions/focus on answer explanations. Studying for essays really sucks. But I have made big improvements just by biting the bullet and writing out essays without using notes -- even if that means I get crushed.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:36 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
okaygo wrote:

I've caught myself in this trap. Definitely take some time to study the MEEs/State essays if you have them. Studying for MBE sucks (obviously), but it is relatively easy - just fire up adaptibar and run through questions/focus on answer explanations. Studying for essays really sucks. But I have made big improvements just by biting the bullet and writing out essays without using notes -- even if that means I get crushed.
So true! I think from here on out my plan is to spend my morning/early afternoon on MBE, and then around 2ish switch gears to memorizing rule statements. I've got ST, Trusts, Wills, A&P, and Corp fairly situated but need to switch gears to the MBE rule statements as well. You'd think I'd know them but my mind turns to ???? when I try to articulate them on the essay.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:39 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:I have made big improvements just by biting the bullet and writing out essays without using notes -- even if that means I get crushed.
the opposite of what I want to hear gearing up for essay time

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:05 pm

barkschool wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:I have made big improvements just by biting the bullet and writing out essays without using notes -- even if that means I get crushed.
the opposite of what I want to hear gearing up for essay time
Exposing weaknesses leads to improvement (or at least thats what i'm telling myself).

And to comment on what others have said: getting crushed on Adaptibar today. Just frustrating myself at this point.

sam91

Bronze

Post by sam91 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Hey all - Recent (one week ago) adaptibar purchaser, and pretty happy I did so. What a total difference in question style from Barbri.

Anyway, would appreciate any advice. Got about 70% (139 raw) on Barbri Simulated MBE, and have read on TLS and elsewhere that Barbri question sets 5 and 6 within each particular subject are unnecessarily nuanced and a waste of time.

Do you all think I should prioritize AB over Barbri w/r/t Multiple Choice Questions down the home stretch? What are you all planning on doing?

Edit: FWIW, I have done about 80 practice questions in total on AB and am stuck at 60%., every time I do 5 question mini exams, I seem locked on consistently getting 3 of 5 correct.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:48 pm

sam91 wrote:Hey all - Recent (one week ago) adaptibar purchaser, and pretty happy I did so. What a total difference in question style from Barbri.

Anyway, would appreciate any advice. Got about 70% (139 raw) on Barbri Simulated MBE, and have read on TLS and elsewhere that Barbri question sets 5 and 6 within each particular subject are unnecessarily nuanced and a waste of time.

Do you all think I should prioritize AB over Barbri w/r/t Multiple Choice Questions down the home stretch? What are you all planning on doing?

Edit: FWIW, I have done about 80 practice questions in total on AB and am stuck at 60%., every time I do 5 question mini exams, I seem locked on consistently getting 3 of 5 correct.
A few things:

1 - Your score on the simulated MBE is great, having reviewed plenty of other TLS-ers scores on that simulation it is a good indicator that you are on your way to a solid score on the real MBE (keep doing what you are doing - well done)

2 - Though I dont have access to BarBri my advice (and what I am doing) is the same - keep doing Adaptibar questions, though I would suggest in larger than 5 question sets. The value of Adaptibar is many fold, but not the least of which is how the questions are presented via the alogrithim and then reviewing questions as you go. It isnt that you wont get anything from 5 question sets, but I think it would be more valuable to do 25 or 30 question sets. This length is long enough to build up some endurance for test taking (building attention span and focus) but it allows you to see the depth and breadth of questions that Adaptibar has while not taking up so much time that you dont feel up for reviewing essay topics. Finally, no better way to practice than with real questions and then utilizing all of the tracking information that Adaptibar provides to microtarget your studying down the home-stretch so that you can spend your time wisely on your weaknesses.

champloo

Bronze

Post by champloo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:01 pm

so..... getting hit in the face with an umbrella = adequate provocation to reduce first degree murder to voluntary manslaughter? i thought an event qualified as "heat of passion" for really egregious things such as finding your wife in bed with another guy. is the standard for adequate provocation a lot lower than i thought?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sam91

Bronze

Post by sam91 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:35 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
sam91 wrote:Hey all - Recent (one week ago) adaptibar purchaser, and pretty happy I did so. What a total difference in question style from Barbri.

A few things:

1 - Your score on the simulated MBE is great, having reviewed plenty of other TLS-ers scores on that simulation it is a good indicator that you are on your way to a solid score on the real MBE (keep doing what you are doing - well done)

2 - Though I dont have access to BarBri my advice (and what I am doing) is the same - keep doing Adaptibar questions, though I would suggest in larger than 5 question sets. The value of Adaptibar is many fold, but not the least of which is how the questions are presented via the alogrithim and then reviewing questions as you go. It isnt that you wont get anything from 5 question sets, but I think it would be more valuable to do 25 or 30 question sets. This length is long enough to build up some endurance for test taking (building attention span and focus) but it allows you to see the depth and breadth of questions that Adaptibar has while not taking up so much time that you dont feel up for reviewing essay topics. Finally, no better way to practice than with real questions and then utilizing all of the tracking information that Adaptibar provides to microtarget your studying down the home-stretch so that you can spend your time wisely on your weaknesses.
Thanks for the feedback. I definitely will give the lengthier question sets a go.

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:27 pm

I'll add to the chorus of folks who got crushed by adaptibar today (did 50 questions earlier this morning, got rekt). Seems some of us were on the same questions as well (I got the umbrella question too). Is there some sort of commonality in how the questions are presented throughout the program that might lead to a lot of users hitting turbulence at once?

meat tornado

New

Post by meat tornado » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:38 pm

Is it weird that I'm doing significantly better on Adaptibar than BarBri? I'm at 61% right and got a 69/100 on the 2011 OBE, but only managed a 109 on the Barbri simulated :oops: Should I be worried?

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Futuregohan14 wrote:I'll add to the chorus of folks who got crushed by adaptibar today (did 50 questions earlier this morning, got rekt). Seems some of us were on the same questions as well (I got the umbrella question too). Is there some sort of commonality in how the questions are presented throughout the program that might lead to a lot of users hitting turbulence at once?
I'm guessing it works through in a specific fashion before funneling your specific weak area.

If lots of people are gunning through say questions 100-200, they might have a higher chance of hitting the first or second rounds of questions slotted.
meat tornado wrote:Is it weird that I'm doing significantly better on Adaptibar than BarBri? I'm at 61% right and got a 69/100 on the 2011 OBE, but only managed a 109 on the Barbri simulated :oops: Should I be worried?
you're fine. the simulated was all harder questions

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dee099

New

Post by Dee099 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:55 pm

FWIW, I recommend using the "past questions" aspect of AB, looking back on past questions can be very helpful instead of just only doing new questions.

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:05 am

[+] Spoiler
QUESTION:

A farmer, a citizen of State A, sues a rancher, a citizen of State B, in federal district court in State B. The farmer asks the court to quiet title to certain property in State B on which the rancher currently resides. The rancher believes the property was bequeathed to her, but the rancher knows that a cousin of hers – a man who is a citizen of State A - believes that the property belongs to him. The rancher files a motion to dismiss for failure to join a required party.

Which of the following is true?
A. The court must dismiss the action. The man is a required party, and the court lacks subject matter jurisdiction over the man's claim.
B. The court may retain the case. Though the man is a required party and the court lacks subject matter jurisdiction over the man's claim, the court may retain the case without the man's joining the lawsuit if the court determines in equity and good conscience that the action should proceed.
C. The court may retain the case. The man is not a required party.
D. The court may retain the case. Although the man is a required party, the court has subject matter jurisdiction over his claim and therefore can order that he be joined as a party.

ANSWER: B is correct. In situations where an indispensable party who should be joined cannot be joined, the federal rules require that the court determine whether "in equity and good conscience" the action should proceed. The factors that for the court to consider include: (1) the extent to which a judgment rendered in the person's absence might prejudice that person or the existing parties; (2) the extent to which any prejudice could be lessened or avoided; (3) whether a judgment rendered in the person's absence would be adequate; and (4) whether the plaintiff would have an adequate remedy if the action were dismissed for nonjoinder.
WHAT? This definition of a "required party" seems so broad --> The cousin "believes that he property belongs to him." :?:

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:16 am

Someone already mentioned this, so forgive me for doubling down on it. Anyway...definitely do more than 5 questions at a time if possible. The algorithm seems to hit you with harder questions (your "weaker" subjects) at the beginning then levels off with some of your stronger material. I know when I do 5 or 10 question blocks, my averages are like 50-60, but when I do 30+ questions I am consistently closer to 70+%

**No proof/or inside knowledge that this is how the algorithm works and it could very easily be in my head, but this has been my experience..

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:10 pm

Where is everyone on questions?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:20 pm

Just finished the 4th stage so 1400 total.

Percentages went up slowly but surely. 66.3 to 68.3 to 72.9 to 75.4.

At this point i'm out of civpro questions so they are repeating. It seems they only put in ones I got wrong the first time so maybe that'll end up being helpful. Not too worried though because I have a few fresh barbri civpro sets

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Past 800. Originally, wanted to finish all of them but I don't think I'll get the 50-60 a day to finish.

But, Had my first over 80% day

Hoping to have a few more 80% days before the exam

Whyjd

New

Post by Whyjd » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:44 am

They just gave me access to all to the videos, for FREE. :) All because I spotted a minor technical problem. Much better than Barbri's mass outages and content pushing of extras.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:01 am

Stage 1: 68.3%
Stage 2: 74%
Stage 3: 75.7%
Stage 4: 76.6%
Overall: 73.6% of 1400 questions. Hoping to hit 80% on the next stage but we'll see how that goes :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:19 am

750 questions. 70.5% since July 1 (400~ questions)

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:10 am

Nice. I'm at 900 at the moment, sitting at 73%.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Wow folks are doing very well!

I am at 925 right now, accumulative of 63%. I was at 60% for the first 350 (which I did in 7 days) then got slower for the next 350 where I was at 65% total.

Last two days have done sets of 25 questions and each were over 70%...about to do another 25 question set.

For anyone curious, I used BarMax for my first bar (MI July 2015) I listened to lectures while driving did MAYBE 200 questions and scored a 141. For February 2017 (Illinois) I did lectures again and did more questions maybe 500? and I scored a 139.

Other than one 100 question set (100 questions covering ALL topics on Adaptibar) I have otherwise gone question-by-question reviewing after every question. I feel that when I stick with things (not taking a few days off) my brain goes into "test mode" and score far higher - not sure how else to explain it.

Goes this time is to get into the mid 140s (not an outrageous score but a slighy bump on past exams).

zbv4

New

Post by zbv4 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Also just finished stage 4 (1400):

Stage 1: 76%
Stage 2: 75.1%
Stage 3: 81.1%
Stage 4: 80.3%

I'm at 70% correct overall on Civ Pro and at least 75% on everything else, so I feel good overall. In any event, I seem to have plateaued.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”