Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ndbigdave

Bronze

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Post by ndbigdave » Thu May 25, 2017 11:20 am

sadpandayolo wrote:
dredd16 wrote:
Southpaw89 wrote:
dredd16 wrote:
Southpaw89 wrote:Should I be discouraged? I'm at around 650 questions answered, 55% correct.
When did you start answering questions? If you just started last week, you might need to slow down and do more BLL studying + reviewing questions you got right AND wrong.

Why did you get a question wrong? Did you know the issue & rule statement they were testing? Did you fall for a red herring in the fact pattern? Did you fall for the wrong element in the answer choices?

I started in early March, so granted, I wasn't really studying for the Bar while taking five classes in my last semester of law school. Also, I've gone up about 4% in the last week or so, and Barbri just started, so perhaps that's good. I'm not moving as fast now, but moving from subject to subject in Adaptibar to go along with Barbri.
Because you started in early March, your 55% isn't really indicative about your overall performance to date. I'd just focus on the total percentage from now until the bar exam (you can see this by editing the dates of the data as opposed to keeping it session-based).

Since your performance on Adaptibar questions were more or less useless in March/April, I'd go back and just print out all the answers and explanations to the questions especially ones you missed and review that.

In a nutshell, the 55% is not an accurate indicator of your performance.
I had an excel sheet to chart shit out. Each day I would input data points and it'll chart my performance as time passes. This helped me know (1) what I was good/shit at, (2) what study methods were working, and (3) that "omg I don't actually suck."

try doing that to see where you actually are day-to-day/week-to-week. It'll be a confidence booster as well

I think the analytical tools available with Adaptibar are really worth the money for time savings - Adaptibar notes how long you take on every single question as well as categorizing each question by subject and then subtopic so that a student (with a few clicks of a button) can analyze strengths/weaknesses and know where to spend more time reviewing. Doing your own excel is quite the undertaking, obviously if you are very efficient and an excel whiz maybe you can do it quickly, but i think for most folks that would be a huge time killer - the info you glean is very valuable, but if you are spending a lot of time simply marking up an excel sheet you are losing time that could be better used reviewing information or doing questions.

For me, as someone working full-time I couldnt be more thrilled to have real questions available on any web enabled device + my smartphone, but even beyond access is the immesiate data that is available to track progress and identify areas to follow-up on rather than blindly saying"I guess Ill listen to this lecture because I am not good at subject X."

kandi007

New

Post by kandi007 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Do you guys use your lecture notes to answer the questions or review then answer?

We just finished a subject area today (property) and I have been working on my own notes to go with the outline. Trying to figure out if i should use my notes when answering my 30 q's for the day because is that really indicative of what I know/don't know if I'm using notes?

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Fri May 26, 2017 1:16 pm

kandi007 wrote:Do you guys use your lecture notes to answer the questions or review then answer?

We just finished a subject area today (property) and I have been working on my own notes to go with the outline. Trying to figure out if i should use my notes when answering my 30 q's for the day because is that really indicative of what I know/don't know if I'm using notes?
There are no specific "rules" for how to prepare yourself, Adaptibar is a tool like any other. From my perspective and experience, the only way to "know what you know" is to do questions/essays without the aid of notes or outlines then review to see what you got wrong and what was missed (also important for MBE to note questions you answered correctly but perhaps for the wrong reasoning or due to a "guess."

This is valuable so that you can track your progress. If you do your first 350 questions as suggested by Adaptibar with the aid of notes, you will (likely) see a decline in your next 350 when you try to go "off book" which will skew your results - at least in my opinion. Id rather score in the 40s and 50s (or whatever it is you score) and then analyze relatively strengths/weaknesses to do some focused studying before going to my second and third sets of 350 so that your results are more "organic" and show what you know/dont know so you can use the results to micro-target your studying.

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:36 pm

I know that Adaptibar uses past NCBE questions, with the exception of civil procedure. Does anyone know what range of years the questions come from? I have only done 150 questions so far and most seem close to what I have come across through other study tactics, but there are a few that were formatted so oddly (and nothing like the ones I saw on the past two exams I have taken). Just wanted to get a sense whether the NCBE changed its formatting/style at some point.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon May 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:I know that Adaptibar uses past NCBE questions, with the exception of civil procedure. Does anyone know what range of years the questions come from? I have only done 150 questions so far and most seem close to what I have come across through other study tactics, but there are a few that were formatted so oddly (and nothing like the ones I saw on the past two exams I have taken). Just wanted to get a sense whether the NCBE changed its formatting/style at some point.
I found adaptibar's questions representative of both the style and substance of the MBE questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Tue May 30, 2017 1:39 am

Is there a correlating app or easily accessible mobile version of their web-based content/resources?

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue May 30, 2017 9:06 am

Sprout wrote:Is there a correlating app or easily accessible mobile version of their web-based content/resources?
There is an Adaptibar App for both iOS and Android, I have limited use with it thus far, but I can attest that it has access to my progress information and I can answer questions on the phone pretty comfortably. Though I havent checked yet, not sure why you couldnt go to the adaptibar website via typical smart phones (while requesting the "desktop site" rather than the mobile version)

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue May 30, 2017 9:09 am

Lawyerinwaiting89 wrote:I know that Adaptibar uses past NCBE questions, with the exception of civil procedure. Does anyone know what range of years the questions come from? I have only done 150 questions so far and most seem close to what I have come across through other study tactics, but there are a few that were formatted so oddly (and nothing like the ones I saw on the past two exams I have taken). Just wanted to get a sense whether the NCBE changed its formatting/style at some point.
I think they are a fair representation of what I have seen on the bar (taken one in 2015 and 2017) - other than, of course, Civ Pro. The other good option, depending on time/resources would be Emmanuel's Strategies and Tactics (can rent from Barnes and Noble for roughly $30) which supposedly has good Civ Pro questions along with some good advice and shorter outlines.

sadpandayolo

New

Post by sadpandayolo » Tue May 30, 2017 11:32 am

Sprout wrote:Is there a correlating app or easily accessible mobile version of their web-based content/resources?
Their iphone app is awesome. Never used the android one but I assume it's similarly well made

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Wed May 31, 2017 3:21 pm

ndbigdave wrote:
I think they are a fair representation of what I have seen on the bar (taken one in 2015 and 2017) - other than, of course, Civ Pro. The other good option, depending on time/resources would be Emmanuel's Strategies and Tactics (can rent from Barnes and Noble for roughly $30) which supposedly has good Civ Pro questions along with some good advice and shorter outlines.
I'm doing adaptibar civ pro shit rn and this is reallllyyyy hard. TBF civ pro is not my best subject whatsoever but what should I make of this? I know it's their only simulated subject. Am I totally fucking up? Are these questions easier or harder than what's on the exam?

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed May 31, 2017 3:42 pm

Sprout wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
I'm doing adaptibar civ pro shit rn and this is reallllyyyy hard. TBF civ pro is not my best subject whatsoever but what should I make of this? I know it's their only simulated subject. Am I totally fucking up? Are these questions easier or harder than what's on the exam?
Its tough for me to say whether the adaptibar ones are "harder or easier" than the actual bar (even after doing it twice), but I do think they do go over a great breadth of the subject and have an odd way (and perhaps over emphasis) on motions. I have heard criticism of Barbri focusing too much on just PJ and SMJ, adaptibar certainly covers those, but many others. Civ Pro (a subject I got a 4.0 in during school AND i was a judicial clerk for over 6 years) has been my worst subject by over 10% points, I am considering it an outlier as everything else is 60% or higher. I think the depth and breadth of apdaptibar will pay off even if the actual questions stink (this is where reviewing each question for the explanation is valuable).

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:51 pm

Sprout wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
The questions on the real exam are not as difficult or nuanced/detailed as on adaptibar, the questions will focus on the main broad stuff like motions- especially timing motions (like D resp within 21 days), waivable vs. non-waivable motions (ie PJX, venue, service are waivable but know SMJ or failing to state a claim 12(b)(6) is not), main venue rules, JMOL/JNOV rules- the big one here is JMOL has to be brought during trial first or JNOV can't be filed either I wouldn't be surprised if you see a Q like this on your exam, discovery rules, and PJX/SMJ- also note if you have barbri, barbri puts way too much emphasis on SMJ and PJ, you'll likely only get a few questions on PJ/SMJ stuff so don't overkill this area- I remember the PJ/SMJ questions on the real exam were basic freebie points re: simple diversity questions.

Hope that helps, can't believe I still remember this stuff lol!!

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:53 pm

I've been consistently hitting about 65% correct on about 20 questions a day. Is that good? I feel like I should be getting better, but I'm also sensitive to the fact that the software will just keep giving me harder and harder questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Wed May 31, 2017 3:55 pm

thank you cnk!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:07 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:I've been consistently hitting about 65% correct on about 20 questions a day. Is that good? I feel like I should be getting better, but I'm also sensitive to the fact that the software will just keep giving me harder and harder questions.

That's good!! 65% at the end of may means you'll deff. be somewhere in the 70% come exam day, which is good enough to pass provided you do okay on MEE/MPT. Try and do more Qs per day if you can! The software will tailor to your weaknesses so it will seem harder, but it's giving you less Qs in the topics/subtopics you do well on.

I also suggest always doing adaptibar in practice Q mode, it will take longer, but it's not about just getting the Q right it's about learning why you got it right/wrong so always read the explanatory answer after you do the Q, good luck :D

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Wed May 31, 2017 5:57 pm

Anyone (besides the guy who spammed this thread 5 times) have a discount code of Adaptibar they want to share?

Update: Someone sent me one, thanks.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed May 31, 2017 11:18 pm

Gone from 55% daily to 60ish%

This is a discouraging system.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:13 am

barkschool wrote:Gone from 55% daily to 60ish%

This is a discouraging system.
A few points:

#1 - You are already showing improvement (of what must be at least 5% - or more) Today is only June 1 - plenty of time to get further into outlines, flashcards, lectures.

#2 - Adaptibar is designed to continuously test your weaker subtopics (while not totally ignoring your strengths) so in many respects your sets WILL feel more difficult as there isnt a lot of time spent on your relative strengths.

#3 - The biggest key to adaptibar (beyond the real questions and statistical tracking) is the FEEDBACK make sure you go into the analytics and see where you have the biggest weaknesses - then drill those areas in the best way you can (again, be it outlines, flashcards, listening/watching lectures) this allows you to focus your studying which should then help strengthen your weaknesses.

Take heart! Lots of time remaining.

unitball

New

Post by unitball » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:04 am

I'm not really liking Adaptibar, but I'm going to keep using it because the questions are tougher than barbri's. In my opinion too many of Adaptibar's question explanations are written really poorly. I feel like 50% of the time I use Adaptibar I'm trying to figure out the logical/legal connections the Adaptibar's explanations are leaving out, flipping through all my materials. With Barbri materials I never get confused by the explanations.

Also, I'm probably not the first to ask this, but has anyone come across explanations that just really incorrect?

Jon_Snow

New

Post by Jon_Snow » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:49 pm

unitball wrote:I'm not really liking Adaptibar, but I'm going to keep using it because the questions are tougher than barbri's. In my opinion too many of Adaptibar's question explanations are written really poorly. I feel like 50% of the time I use Adaptibar I'm trying to figure out the logical/legal connections the Adaptibar's explanations are leaving out, flipping through all my materials. With Barbri materials I never get confused by the explanations.

Also, I'm probably not the first to ask this, but has anyone come across explanations that just really incorrect?
What subject(s)?

unitball

New

Post by unitball » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:23 am

Jon_Snow wrote:
unitball wrote:I'm not really liking Adaptibar, but I'm going to keep using it because the questions are tougher than barbri's. In my opinion too many of Adaptibar's question explanations are written really poorly. I feel like 50% of the time I use Adaptibar I'm trying to figure out the logical/legal connections the Adaptibar's explanations are leaving out, flipping through all my materials. With Barbri materials I never get confused by the explanations.

What subject(s)?

Real Property had a few explanations I felt were incorrect. Crim Law/Pro and Civ Pro have plenty of explanations that look hastily written, are conclusory, or don't connect the dots.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:22 am

My favorite are the questions where each answer has been picked around 25% each

bballbb02

New

Post by bballbb02 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:58 pm

a little concerned so far...i have only torts so far-- about 73 questions...my first 33 questions i was at 76% then i did a bunch last night (about 40) and now i am at 64%--would like it to be higher, this seems low or maybe i am just paranoid and should not freak out so much---especially because i went down a bunch in one session that was only a few questions more than my first 33--made some silly errors also last night..

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:27 pm

bballbb02 wrote:a little concerned so far...i have only torts so far-- about 73 questions...my first 33 questions i was at 76% then i did a bunch last night (about 40) and now i am at 64%--would like it to be higher, this seems low or maybe i am just paranoid and should not freak out so much---especially because i went down a bunch in one session that was only a few questions more than my first 33--made some silly errors also last night..
Answered you in the other thread - but here it is again:

You can always try talking to the Adaptibar team to get more specifics, but from how I understand the program and the algorithm, the program purposely finds your weaknesses and attempts to drill them the most so it isn't surprising over a long period of time the program will identify some weak areas and then give you more of that topic - which can explain a lower score.

I am not 100% certain I follow how you are using the program, but the "recommended use" is to do 50 per subject (350 total) and then using the analysis tools for those first 350 to spot your weak areas. Take a day (or more) to study those weak areas and then get through another set of 350 (which can be accomplished by doing 50 a time per subject, or doing mixed questions until you get 50 in each subject...I personally suggest the later as it mixes everything up, just like it will be on the real MBE) once through your second and third (and fourth) sets of 350 take some time to review weak areas.

As for your current accuracy - you are already in the wheel-house for success (depending on what your other subjects are like) as the goal is to get to 70% or higher, but in all honesty if you can keep yourself in the mid to upper 60%s you're on your way to passing.

The best news is there is PLENTY of time to do (and review) more questions and review subjects/subtopics before the real deal.

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Is anyone else finding the civil procedure questions especially hard? I've done the recommended 50 initial questions for 4 topics so far, and despite my civ pro being my best topic on barbri (in the >90 percentile range), it is by far my worst on Adaptibar.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”