Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
barkschool

Silver

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Post by barkschool » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:13 pm

zbv4 wrote:Also just finished stage 4 (1400):

Stage 1: 76%
Stage 2: 75.1%
Stage 3: 81.1%
Stage 4: 80.3%

I'm at 70% correct overall on Civ Pro and at least 75% on everything else, so I feel good overall. In any event, I seem to have plateaued.
this is some awesome

I always have trouble when I hit a high point, not getting too beat up scoring a set lower the next time around

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:25 am

"You have answered all of the available questions in the AdaptiBar database. The questions will continue to repeat."

Dee099

New

Post by Dee099 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:42 am

Just hit the 700 mark

1st 350 Overall= 61.7%
2nd 350 Overall= 66.2%

Took Exam 4 (2006) and got a 74%

Happy to see some improvement, unfortunately not enough to feel confident going in, especially since Im now dedicating more time towards essays
just gonna keep at it and try improving more.

how many Questions are ppl doing a day on average right now?
According to the AB aveage, most ppl have only done 550 to date that's ~15 Q;s a day (assuming start time around mid-May)

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:55 am

Dee099 wrote:Just hit the 700 mark

1st 350 Overall= 61.7%
2nd 350 Overall= 66.2%

Took Exam 4 (2006) and got a 74%

Happy to see some improvement, unfortunately not enough to feel confident going in, especially since Im now dedicating more time towards essays
just gonna keep at it and try improving more.

how many Questions are ppl doing a day on average right now?
According to the AB aveage, most ppl have only done 550 to date that's ~15 Q;s a day (assuming start time around mid-May)
I've ramped up to about 50 per day. One set of 30 - invariably - every morning; then 20~ throughout the day. Highest day was 100 questions (not in one sitting)

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:20 am

ConfusedL1 wrote:"You have answered all of the available questions in the AdaptiBar database. The questions will continue to repeat."
I started off with a bang in May with 50 a day for the first 7 to establish a baseline, then was far more sporadic as I got a little lazy.

I am currently sitting at 975, have been doing 25 a day for about the last week and think I will try to up it at least a little between now and the Sunday before the bar - does not look likely that I will finish the program, hoping to get through a forth set of 350 (which would mean doing 425 between today and that last Sunday = totally doable I think).

The trap I am falling into is that the MBE has been a relative strength each time I took the bar that I end up neglecting essay topics (lots of material, uncertain if what I am reading/reviewing/studying will even appear so it feels like a waste) it didn't matter for my first bar (I actually scored 1pt higher on essays than MBE) but my second bar my essay score plummeted while MBE remained roughly the same.

Going to start blending doing my set of questions with essay review for MEE subjects I suppose.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:32 am

ndbigdave wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:"You have answered all of the available questions in the AdaptiBar database. The questions will continue to repeat."
I started off with a bang in May with 50 a day for the first 7 to establish a baseline, then was far more sporadic as I got a little lazy.

I am currently sitting at 975, have been doing 25 a day for about the last week and think I will try to up it at least a little between now and the Sunday before the bar - does not look likely that I will finish the program, hoping to get through a forth set of 350 (which would mean doing 425 between today and that last Sunday = totally doable I think).

The trap I am falling into is that the MBE has been a relative strength each time I took the bar that I end up neglecting essay topics (lots of material, uncertain if what I am reading/reviewing/studying will even appear so it feels like a waste) it didn't matter for my first bar (I actually scored 1pt higher on essays than MBE) but my second bar my essay score plummeted while MBE remained roughly the same.

Going to start blending doing my set of questions with essay review for MEE subjects I suppose.
Damn. Sorry to hear that. What bar?

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:40 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:750 questions. 70.5% since July 1 (400~ questions)
trying to beat this plateau right now, hard to not be discouraged.

champloo

Bronze

Post by champloo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:16 pm

[+] Spoiler
A firefighter filed a federal suit against the city (his former employer) and his former supervisor, alleging that he was fired because of his ethnicity. The district court granted the city's motion for summary judgment and denied the supervisor's motion for summary judgment. The firefighter then voluntarily dismissed his claim against the supervisor without prejudice. Some months later, the one-year statute of limitations for re-filing the voluntarily dismissed claim expired. Thereafter, the firefighter then filed a notice of appeal from the district court's grant of summary judgment to the city. The city moved to dismiss the appeal as untimely.
if a court grants summary judgment, doesn't that mean the claim is adjudicated on the merits? how can P voluntarily dismiss his claim after a court ruled against his sj and for D's sj?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:51 pm

barkschool wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:750 questions. 70.5% since July 1 (400~ questions)
trying to beat this plateau right now, hard to not be discouraged.
Dude. Same. Getting consistently past 70% has been my nemesis. And because the number is stuck in my head, I seem to "chase" a better percentage by angerly answering questions (sad, I know)... which causes me to inevitably miss easy issues.

Plan is to take tomorrow off completely from MBE and focus solely on essays.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:10 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:
Dont shed too many tears for me. I passed in Michigan (J2015) then sat for Illinois F2017. Ill admit I did do more questions in prep for the MBE and listened to some lectures but that was the depth of my studying (that and cramming some essay topic outlines the day or two before the bar). I had a 141 the first time when I passed and a 139 the second time. Shockingly my essays bottomed out, part of it was not being fresh with material but I also believe part of it is I got screwed on grading (I know it sounds like sour grapes but I truthfully believe it).

This time around I am doing the questions, reviewing the answers and I see my scores creep up and up, the goal is to get into the mid 140s (a reasonable goal I think) and then up my essays. As I did so poorly the first time I basically have no where to go but up (I see that as a good thing) I only failed by 5 scaled points (which after running the math amounted to 1, MAYBE 2 raw points on the essays which should be easily achieved as I basically left points all over the place. So ultimately it is staying fresh/improving with Adaptibar, sneaking in audio lectures while I can and starting earlier than 2 days before the bar on essay topics - the goal isnt to get an A, I am merely playing the game to get over the threshold.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:22 am

adaptibar started giving me pretty much exclusively civ pro questions and i'm watching in horror as my percentage score plummets :cry: :cry: :cry:

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:08 am

ndbigdave wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:
Dont shed too many tears for me. I passed in Michigan (J2015) then sat for Illinois F2017. Ill admit I did do more questions in prep for the MBE and listened to some lectures but that was the depth of my studying (that and cramming some essay topic outlines the day or two before the bar). I had a 141 the first time when I passed and a 139 the second time. Shockingly my essays bottomed out, part of it was not being fresh with material but I also believe part of it is I got screwed on grading (I know it sounds like sour grapes but I truthfully believe it).

This time around I am doing the questions, reviewing the answers and I see my scores creep up and up, the goal is to get into the mid 140s (a reasonable goal I think) and then up my essays. As I did so poorly the first time I basically have no where to go but up (I see that as a good thing) I only failed by 5 scaled points (which after running the math amounted to 1, MAYBE 2 raw points on the essays which should be easily achieved as I basically left points all over the place. So ultimately it is staying fresh/improving with Adaptibar, sneaking in audio lectures while I can and starting earlier than 2 days before the bar on essay topics - the goal isnt to get an A, I am merely playing the game to get over the threshold.
Will this be your first UBE exam?

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:42 am

myrtlewinston wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:

Will this be your first UBE exam?
I am re-taking the IL bar here in about 2 weeks, IL isn't technically a UBE state (yet) the only real difference is that IL has 3 "IL essays" in the place of 1 MPT. Otherwise everything else is the same.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:35 am

Anyone else feel like adapitbae questions are getting progressively more impossible? I know they're intentionally targeting our weaknesses but :shock:
My last OPE earlier this week I was able to snag a 74% but I'm getting crushed (floating around 60%) on daily PQs.

ETA: For example, the question that sparked this angst had a 12% accuracy rate. 12%! Truly those questions should be scrapped, lol.

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:57 am

okaygo wrote:Anyone else feel like adapitbae questions are getting progressively more impossible? I know they're intentionally targeting our weaknesses but :shock:
My last OPE earlier this week I was able to snag a 74% but I'm getting crushed (floating around 60%) on daily PQs.

ETA: For example, the question that sparked this angst had a 12% accuracy rate. 12%! Truly those questions should be scrapped, lol.
I had been on a bit of a tear recently, was doing 25 a day and was at 70% over the last 100 questions. Did a quick 10 before running an errand yesterday (9/10) then came back and got absolutely destroyed (4/15) when a handful had a success rate of 33% - I chalk a good bit of this up to insane questions, crazy nuances (especially in Civ Pro) and what I would perceive as incomplete questions - nothing like an explanation that ASSUMES a court MAY rule one way when it is at least equally as likely that the court could rule the opposite way and make my answer choice correct (going from memory regarding parol evidence question) I fully understand when evidence may be brought in to supplement/explain a concept and when it cannot be brought in to contradict a written agreement, but when the explanation says "the court MAY decide the contract was not fully integrated" thus such-and-such is correct" it grinds my gears when I could retort "but the court MAY decide it IS fully integrated and this term would in no way supplement or explain the contract" therefore my answer is no less as valid as yours.

That all being said, I see my score raising as I do questions, I find myself routinely knowing exactly where the question is going and I have been able to answer questions by eliminating answers choices that are wrong and leaving myself with a "this isn't a great answer, but it is definitely objectively wrong like the others" which lets me know I am comfortable with the law.

The Civ pro questions (generally) are so crazy and are a lot lower than my next worst subject that I feel comfortable that my accumulative score is actually a few points higher than what it is showing right now.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:03 am

What are "foreign instrumentalities?"
[+] Spoiler
The Seventh Amendment's right to a jury trial requires that claims be both legal and be asserted against the type of defendant that was suable at common law in 1791. Foreign instrumentalities were not suable at common law in 1791. As such, the representatives' claims do not satisfy the Seventh Amendment's requirements right for a jury trial.

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Is there a way to get Adaptibar to ONLY ask you questions you got wrong? I keep getting repeat questions I answered correctly...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:55 pm

It's like I woke up dumb on AB. I was putting up 80% plus the last few days, and today I'm struggling to maintain 65%.

SchneefaLongoria

New

Post by SchneefaLongoria » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:31 pm

barkschool wrote:What are "foreign instrumentalities?"
[+] Spoiler
The Seventh Amendment's right to a jury trial requires that claims be both legal and be asserted against the type of defendant that was suable at common law in 1791. Foreign instrumentalities were not suable at common law in 1791. As such, the representatives' claims do not satisfy the Seventh Amendment's requirements right for a jury trial.
I threw my notes up in the air when I did this question.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:08 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:It's like I woke up dumb on AB. I was putting up 80% plus the last few days, and today I'm struggling to maintain 65%.
Take a day off from MBE questions. I am doing this today and feel great today. Other topics are sticking in my head better, I've been able to do some extra state essays/MEEs, and I haven't thought about percentages once. I have a feeling I'll be refreshed tomorrow (knock on wood).

I'll report back tomorrow... (knocking on wood again)

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:30 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:It's like I woke up dumb on AB. I was putting up 80% plus the last few days, and today I'm struggling to maintain 65%.
Take a day off from MBE questions. I am doing this today and feel great today. Other topics are sticking in my head better, I've been able to do some extra state essays/MEEs, and I haven't thought about percentages once. I have a feeling I'll be refreshed tomorrow (knock on wood).

put up 80

few sets of 60's

day off/ relaxing

put up a 75

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:07 am

RaceJudicata wrote:

Updating:

It worked. Having very good day so far (still knocking on wood).

bballbb02

New

Post by bballbb02 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:43 am

Has anyone seen the contracts question about the pharmaceutical salesman and the widget salesman who contract for the sale of a bike,, one of the questons is what does "not subject to countermand" mean?? Can anyone enlighten me on this language?? //is it something i should know?

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:46 am

bballbb02 wrote:Has anyone seen the contracts question about the pharmaceutical salesman and the widget salesman who contract for the sale of a bike,, one of the questons is what does "not subject to countermand" mean?? Can anyone enlighten me on this language?? //is it something i should know?
I took it as meaning he's not accepting a counteroffer in any form.

bda

New

Post by bda » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:33 pm

I'm confused as to how this is a unilateral contract. Isn't the hardware wholesaler's providing credit to the retailer a return commitment from the wholesaler?
[+] Spoiler
A U.S. manufacturer on the west coast gave a hardware retailer who was relocating to the east coast the following "letter of introduction" to a hardware wholesaler on the east coast.
This will introduce you to my good friend and former customer, a hardware retailer, who will be seeking to arrange the purchase of hardware inventory from you on credit. If you will let him have the goods, I will make good any loss up to $25,000 in the event of his default.

/Signed/ manufacturer.
The hardware retailer presented the letter to the hardware wholesaler, who then sold and delivered $20,000 worth of hardware to the hardware retailer on credit. The hardware wholesaler promptly notified the manufacturer of this sale.

Which of the following is NOT an accurate statement concerning the arrangement between the manufacturer and the hardware wholesaler?
A. It was important to enforceability of the manufacturer's promise to the hardware wholesaler that it be embodied in a signed writing.
B. By extending the credit to the hardware retailer, the hardware wholesaler effectively accepted the manufacturer's offer for a unilateral contract.
C. Although the manufacturer received no consideration from the hardware retailer, the manufacturer's promise is enforceable by the hardware wholesaler.
D. The manufacturer's promise is enforceable by the hardware wholesaler whether or not the hardware wholesaler gave the manufacturer seasonable notice of the extension of credit to the hardware retailer.

Answer D is correct. An offer for a unilateral contract seeks acceptance by performance and not a return promise. In order for the acceptance to be effective, however, the offeree must give seasonable notice of acceptance to the promisor where the offeree has reason to know that the offeror will not learn of the acceptance without notice. The manufacturer's offer to the hardware wholesaler is an offer to enter a unilateral contract because the manufacturer does not seek a return commitment from the hardware wholesaler but rather for the wholesaler to provide credit to the hardware retailer. Because the hardware wholesaler lives far from the manufacturer, however, he has reason to know that the manufacturer will not learn of his acceptance unless he gives notice, and therefore the hardware wholesaler must give notice of the extension of credit to the hardware retailer.

A, B and C are incorrect because they are each accurate statements: the manufacturer's promise to guarantee the debt falls within the surety clause of the statute of frauds, the hardware wholesaler's extension of credit to the hardware retailer effected an acceptance of an offer for a unilateral contract, and the manufacturer's promise is enforceable by the hardware wholesaler notwithstanding the fact that the hardware retailer provided no consideration, because the consideration was furnished by the hardware wholesaler.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”