Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Pearl

New

Re: Adaptibar user hangout - July 2017

Post by Pearl » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Adaptibar claims that they own all licensed and released MBE questions. Do they? For example, NCBE offers 4 sets from past exams, and two of them are from 2011 and 2013. Does it mean, that 1700 questions which Adaptibar offers include those questions NCBE questions?
My Adaptibar subscription ends in four days, I feel crappy about my MBE experience yesterday, so I am considering buying those two sets from NCBE in the nearest future.

unitball

New

Post by unitball » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:52 pm

GGMcSwift wrote:
unitball wrote:
GGMcSwift wrote:Well it took until three days before the exam, but I finally finished them all.

I'm not allowed to post pictures yet, but here are some links.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/xOm1qQ9.png

[img]http://i.imgur.com/OLPQfeJ.png
[+] Spoiler
At least I qualify for the full refund if I fail!!

Beastly.
Not quite....

Anyone else think the MBE was significantly harder than the Adaptibar questions? I now feel cheated and stupid for not doing Barbri questions, and seriously question the legitimacy of the actual MBE questions AB supposedly offers

I had the exact opposite experience actually. I did about 800 adaptibar questions total and felt like the MBE on Tuesday was way easier than any MBE set I'd ever done. But then again, maybe I totally bombed it.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Woops, I didn't even see this thread. Here are my Adaptibar results:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=280173

I started out at 67% correct for the first 350 questions of my MBE prep. I ended with 80% for the last 350 questions. So that's about a 13 point increase. Overall I have 73% correct over 2800 questions. I did all my practice in 50 to 80 question sets under timed conditions.

I feel that around 30% to 40% of this year's MBE were not similar to the licensed questions on Adaptibar. I felt the test was tougher overall, especially the morning session which I finished with 10 seconds left on the clock.. However, I finished 15 minutes early on the afternoon sessions. And I was not the only one. Probably 20% of the people in my hall walked out early in the afternoon. I stayed to review the questions though and changed two of my answers.

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:21 am

Brobot wrote:
barkschool wrote:Here's the question at issue with the answer:
[+] Spoiler
AB wrote:QUESTION:

An injured man brought a products liability case in state court in State A against the manufacturer of a drug that the man believes caused him injuries and against the retailer from whom the man bought the drug. The injured man is a citizen in State A. The manufacturer is a corporation that is incorporated in State B, has its sole manufacturing plant in State C, and holds the meetings of its board of directors in State A where they direct and control the corporation's activities. The retailer is a limited liability company that has its principal place of business in State A, but its owner-members are citizens of State E. The injured man seeks $100,000 in compensatory damages. The manufacturer and the retailer timely removed the case to the federal district court in State A. The injured man timely moved to remand the case back to state court. The district court is extremely busy with criminal cases and civil cases that arise under federal law.

Should the district court uphold the removal and retain the case, or remand the case to state court?

A. The district court should uphold the removal and retain the case because the injured man is diverse from both the manufacturer and the retailer, the amount in controversy required for diversity subject-matter jurisdiction is satisfied, the venue is proper, and all other requirements of the removal statutes have been met.
B. The district court should remand the case to state court because the injured man is not diverse from both the manufacturer and the retailer, and the court lacks any other basis of subject-matter jurisdiction.
C. In its discretion the district court should remand the case, even if it was properly removed, so that it can conserve its resources for criminal cases and civil cases that arise under federal law.
D. The district court should remand the case to state court. Although the injured man is diverse from both the manufacturer and the retailer, the amount in controversy required for diversity subject-matter jurisdiction is satisfied, and the venue is proper; the case should be remanded because either the manufacturer or the retailer, or both, are citizens of the state in which the action was brought.
I can't believe we're arguing about this, because if you take a look at the explanation it was a simple issue of whoever writing it getting a little excited with themselves. In context, the question really has nothing to do with HQ v. Nerve center.

The question tells you where all the parties are.

The injured man is a citizen in State A.

The manufacturer is a corporation that is incorporated in State B, has its sole manufacturing plant in State C, and holds the meetings of its board of directors in State A where they direct and control the corporation's activities.

The retailer is a limited liability company that has its principal place of business in State A, but its owner-members are citizens of State E

In context, the HQ v. nerve center distinction is silly.
[+] Spoiler
EXPLANATION:

B is correct. Here the parties are not diverse from one another because the injured man, and the manufacturer are citizens of State A. The plaintiff is domiciled in State A. A corporation is domiciled in both the state of incorporation, and the state of its principal place of business. A corporation's principal place of business is typically where it is headquartered. Therefore, the manufacturing corporation is domiciled in both State B, where it is incorporated, and State A where its board of directors sits. An unincorporated association, such as an LLC, however has different rules to determine its domicile. An unincorporated association is domiciled in every state in which its members are citizens. Therefore, the drug retailer is domiciled in State E.

A is incorrect. Here, there is no diversity jurisdiction between the parties because both the injured man and the drug manufacturer are co-citizens of State A.

C is incorrect. Even if the court had jurisdiction, it would lack authority to remand so that it could conserve its resources for federal question cases.

D is incorrect. Here, there is no diversity jurisdiction between the parties because both the injured man and the drug manufacturer are co-citizens of State A.
I do not recommend Adaptibar.

[Previous post edited after being contacted by Adaptibar.]
Why?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:59 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:
Brobot wrote:
[+] Spoiler

An injured man brought a products liability case in state court in State A against the manufacturer of a drug that the man believes caused him injuries and against the retailer from whom the man bought the drug. The injured man is a citizen in State A. The manufacturer is a corporation that is incorporated in State B, has its sole manufacturing plant in State C, and holds the meetings of its board of directors in State A where they direct and control the corporation's activities. The retailer is a limited liability company that has its principal place of business in State A, but its owner-members are citizens of State E. The injured man seeks $100,000 in compensatory damages. The manufacturer and the retailer timely removed the case to the federal district court in State A. The injured man timely moved to remand the case back to state court. The district court is extremely busy with criminal cases and civil cases that arise under federal law.

Should the district court uphold the removal and retain the case, or remand the case to state court?

A. The district court should uphold the removal and retain the case because the injured man is diverse from both the manufacturer and the retailer, the amount in controversy required for diversity subject-matter jurisdiction is satisfied, the venue is proper, and all other requirements of the removal statutes have been met.
B. The district court should remand the case to state court because the injured man is not diverse from both the manufacturer and the retailer, and the court lacks any other basis of subject-matter jurisdiction.
C. In its discretion the district court should remand the case, even if it was properly removed, so that it can conserve its resources for criminal cases and civil cases that arise under federal law.
D. The district court should remand the case to state court. Although the injured man is diverse from both the manufacturer and the retailer, the amount in controversy required for diversity subject-matter jurisdiction is satisfied, and the venue is proper; the case should be remanded because either the manufacturer or the retailer, or both, are citizens of the state in which the action was brought.
I can't believe we're arguing about this, because if you take a look at the explanation it was a simple issue of whoever writing it getting a little excited with themselves. In context, the question really has nothing to do with HQ v. Nerve center.

The manufacturer is a corporation that is incorporated in State B, has its sole manufacturing plant in State C, and holds the meetings of its board of directors in State A where they direct and control the corporation's activities.

The retailer is a limited liability company that has its principal place of business in State A, but its owner-members are citizens of State E

[+] Spoiler
EXPLANATION:

B is correct. Here the parties are not diverse from one another because the injured man, and the manufacturer are citizens of State A. The plaintiff is domiciled in State A. A corporation is domiciled in both the state of incorporation, and the state of its principal place of business. A corporation's principal place of business is typically where it is headquartered. Therefore, the manufacturing corporation is domiciled in both State B, where it is incorporated, and State A where its board of directors sits. An unincorporated association, such as an LLC, however has different rules to determine its domicile. An unincorporated association is domiciled in every state in which its members are citizens. Therefore, the drug retailer is domiciled in State E.

A is incorrect. Here, there is no diversity jurisdiction between the parties because both the injured man and the drug manufacturer are co-citizens of State A.

C is incorrect. Even if the court had jurisdiction, it would lack authority to remand so that it could conserve its resources for federal question cases.

D is incorrect. Here, there is no diversity jurisdiction between the parties because both the injured man and the drug manufacturer are co-citizens of State A.

Why?
adaptibar was rad.... Im confused what the issue with the above example is?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Brobot

New

Post by Brobot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:26 pm

Sprout wrote:
ConfusedL1 wrote:
Brobot wrote:
[+] Spoiler

[+] Spoiler
EXPLANATION:

Why?
adaptibar was rad.... Im confused what the issue with the above example is?
Glad you had a good experience. I personally did not have a positive experience with the company, so I chose to remove anything I had written previously that could be considered a recommendation or endorsement of their product. That's all. Apologies to those who received an e-mail notification as a result of those edited posts.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Brobot wrote:
Glad you had a good experience. I personally did not have a positive experience with the company, so I chose to remove anything I had written previously that could be considered a recommendation or endorsement of their product. That's all. Apologies to those who received an e-mail notification as a result of those edited posts.
could u describe your experience?

that would probably be most helpful to people who read this for future bars

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:25 am

For what it's worth, I've taken this beast four times now. I noticed a change this time. First, the copyright-it was 2016 this time, not 2014. There were many new questions that looked similar to the ones we've all seen on whichever MBE prep course we used. However, this time, the questions were worded slightly different. The incorrect answers were worded exactly the same, though, identical to the ones in the bar prep material. I saw several of these, where the fact pattern was almost exactly the same as what I saw on Adaptibar, Kaplan, and Barbri, as well as the older released exams which I have copies of. All totaled, I've done over 4000 questions. Here's the truth about the MBE. You have to know the law and know it well. You also have to RTFQ (read the the 'effing question.) The MBE tests your knowledge of the law and your ability to read critically.

We'll have some idea of how things are trending when the results start to come out.

accountant

New

Post by accountant » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Hi, is anyone interested or able to send me a discount code via PM? Many thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shopbarprep

New

Post by shopbarprep » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:12 pm

accountant wrote:Hi, is anyone interested or able to send me a discount code via PM? Many thanks.
PM me your email. The discount code goes to email address. I have $50 code.

SchneefaLongoria

New

Post by SchneefaLongoria » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:10 pm

Now that more state's results have come, I was hoping to hear some people's comparisons of their actual MBE compared to their Adaptibar numbers.

bda

New

Post by bda » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:34 am

I did about 1,400 adapibar questins, scoring around 67-70% overall (I forgot to write down my final numbers)

I scored 165 on the MBE.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:16 am

bda wrote:I did about 1,400 adapibar questins, scoring around 67-70% overall (I forgot to write down my final numbers)

I scored 165 on the MBE.
Did you solely use Adaptibar? I did around the same number of questions, but I was scoring around 65%. I started off using Themis to get my bearings with the subjects and once I had that bearing I pretty much just used Adaptibar. I would also read the MBE outlines every day or every other day.

Looking for some hope here. A lot of people have been ragging on Adaptibar lately, but I found it really helpful. Plus, the ease of access makes it so easy to do questions while waiting or while in the car. I also finished like 15-20 minutes early on each section, I don't know if that's a good thing or bad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SchneefaLongoria

New

Post by SchneefaLongoria » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:27 am

I did about 2000 questions (between the practice mode questions and the practice exams). At the end it was starting to repeat some questions, but it was good because for some I didn't answer them the same way as the first one.

My initial percentages were 55%, but I creeped up to the mid 60s total by the end of the program, and my last set of 350 questions I was hitting 75%+ in all of the subjects.

Ended up with a 155 on the MBE.
Last edited by SchneefaLongoria on Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:35 am

For what it’s worth, I did about 1500 adaptibar questions and was at about 73% when I was done. Ended up with a 161 on the MBE.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:20 pm

I’m probably glad I did adaptibar, but the mbe was such a cluster

Most likely the mental muscle memory to exclude wrong answers was the best facet

17L

New

Post by 17L » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:11 pm

I did about 1500 questions. Did not take a Bar prep class. I just bought 2013 Themis Prep materials from someone on amazon. I got a 156 on the MBE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

msummer

New

Post by msummer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi,
Can you guys share how did you combine Adaptibar with other materials (Themis, Kaplan, BarBri)? Thanks

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:31 pm

msummer wrote:Hi,
Can you guys share how did you combine Adaptibar with other materials (Themis, Kaplan, BarBri)? Thanks
I haven't gotten my scores back, but here's what I did. I started using Themis to get my basics done and go through all the MBE subjects. After doing a couple of their mixed PQ's I switched over to almost purely Adaptibar for practice questions. I would read the Themis outlines every now and then, but that was pretty much it. I ended up doing over 1,500 questions with both Adaptibar and Themis (over 1,000 were from Adaptibar).

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:25 am

Estecontre wrote:
I haven't gotten my scores back, but here's what I did. I started using Themis to get my basics done and go through all the MBE subjects. After doing a couple of their mixed PQ's I switched over to almost purely Adaptibar for practice questions. I would read the Themis outlines every now and then, but that was pretty much it. I ended up doing over 1,500 questions with both Adaptibar and Themis (over 1,000 were from Adaptibar).
I did the same thing. Switched to Adaptibar for practice MBE about 7 weeks before the exam.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:27 pm

b290 wrote:
Estecontre wrote:
I did the same thing. Switched to Adaptibar for practice MBE about 7 weeks before the exam.
Sounds about this same time that I did it too. The second time I took the exam, I only used Adaptibar for about 3-4 weeks and I deeply regretted not using it sooner. I improved my MBE score by about 10 points. This time around, I made sure to use it for a longer time. Have you gotten your scores back yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:09 pm

Estecontre wrote:
Sounds about this same time that I did it too. The second time I took the exam, I only used Adaptibar for about 3-4 weeks and I deeply regretted not using it sooner. I improved my MBE score by about 10 points. This time around, I made sure to use it for a longer time. Have you gotten your scores back yet?
Yep. I got a 142.6 on my MBE. Before I was hovering in the 120s. Using Adaptibar early and going over my questions basically made the jump possible.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:45 pm

b290 wrote:
Estecontre wrote:
Yep. I got a 142.6 on my MBE. Before I was hovering in the 120s. Using Adaptibar early and going over my questions basically made the jump possible.
Glad to hear that! If my other scores stay constant, which I'm not I'm expecting them to go up, a similar MBE will push me over the passing edge. First time without Adaptibar I scored a 121, second time with Adaptibar for a couple of weeks I scored a 131. I'll find out this week, but I definitely do feel more hopeful this time around and am hopeful that my score went up. Starting earlier and doing more questions really helped, you really start to notice patterns and have an easier time limiting wrong choices. My only worry is that I finish 15-20 minutes early on both sections this time around.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:55 am

Estecontre wrote:
b290 wrote:
Estecontre wrote:
Glad to hear that! If my other scores stay constant, which I'm not I'm expecting them to go up, a similar MBE will push me over the passing edge. First time without Adaptibar I scored a 121, second time with Adaptibar for a couple of weeks I scored a 131. I'll find out this week, but I definitely do feel more hopeful this time around and am hopeful that my score went up. Starting earlier and doing more questions really helped, you really start to notice patterns and have an easier time limiting wrong choices. My only worry is that I finish 15-20 minutes early on both sections this time around.
I almost expect mine to go down as well :lol: No need to worry about finishing early - if you do, that’s ok. I finished early - about 15 mins early for the morning session and with 7 mins left in the second. I still felt pretty confident (again, thanks to prep).

How did you do? PM me if that’s better. I hope you passed!

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:23 am

b290 wrote:
Estecontre wrote:
b290 wrote:
Estecontre wrote:
I almost expect mine to go down as well :lol: No need to worry about finishing early - if you do, that’s ok. I finished early - about 15 mins early for the morning session and with 7 mins left in the second. I still felt pretty confident (again, thanks to prep).

How did you do? PM me if that’s better. I hope you passed!
I ended up passing!! But not thanks to my MBE score it actually ended up going down by .2 points, which actually does not surprise (I've always struggled with multiple choice). My essays ended up saving me, even though I don't have an official score, I did the math and my essays ended up being in the 145-150 range for Texas. However, I still don't think I wouldn't have gotten a 131 score without Adaptibar, all those practice questions prepped me for the real thing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”