NY Bar Application Help Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JDEsq2017

New

NY Bar Application Help

Post by JDEsq2017 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:10 pm

Does anyone know the proper order of forms and what we need of each section to complete the application. To say this is confusing is an understatement.

Thanks for your help.

cnk1220

Silver

Re: NY Bar Application Help

Post by cnk1220 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:32 pm

JDEsq2017 wrote:Does anyone know the proper order of forms and what we need of each section to complete the application. To say this is confusing is an understatement.

Thanks for your help.

There's an instruction sheet from each appellate division that should break it down. I think it goes:
1. certification letter
2. application
3. 2 moral character affidavits
4. law related employment forms
5. pro bono form

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Mon May 08, 2017 2:34 pm

JDEsq2017 wrote:Does anyone know the proper order of forms and what we need of each section to complete the application. To say this is confusing is an understatement.

Thanks for your help.
Agreed, the process is garbage. That being said, they do provide instructions. Here are what they say:

Compiling applications. Only fully completed applications will be accepted for filing. The following official forms, available on each Appellate Division’s website, are required to complete an application: an application for admission questionnaire, good moral character affidavits, employment affidavits, and law school certificates. When you file your application for admission, it should include the following and be arranged in the following order:
(1) copy of the letter or notice of certification from the State Board of Law Examiners (further explained below);
(2) original application for admission questionnaire;
(3) two original affidavits of good moral character;
(4) original employment affidavits or letters (see application for admission questionnaire question number 15);
(5) original certificates of good standing and grievance letters from jurisdictions in which you have been admitted to practice (see
application for admission questionnaire questions 19 and 20);
(6) original pro bono affidavit (beginning January 1, 2015); and
(7) any other papers you desire to submit.

http://www.nybarexam.org/admission/Apri ... 202014.pdf

JDEsq2017

New

Post by JDEsq2017 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:18 am

cnk1220 wrote:

Thanks for your help.

There's an instruction sheet from each appellate division that should break it down. I think it goes:
1. certification letter
2. application
5. pro bono form
How do we get a copy of the certification letter or is that the letter they send with your BAR exam results?

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:08 am

JDEsq2017 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

Thanks for your help.

1. certification letter
2. application
5. pro bono form
How do we get a copy of the certification letter or is that the letter they send with your BAR exam results?
Sent with bar exam results

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iwannabehappy

New

Post by iwannabehappy » Tue May 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Has anyone submitted the entire packet and heard back?
I submitted my application 2 weeks ago to 1st department, but still did not hear back...

bandida

New

Post by bandida » Tue May 30, 2017 11:26 am

How does it work if you're transferring your score? For example, I won't have a certification letter (I think). And which department do I apply to? I saw a list of counties for each department but I don't live in NY.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:02 pm

bandida wrote:How does it work if you're transferring your score? For example, I won't have a certification letter (I think). And which department do I apply to? I saw a list of counties for each department but I don't live in NY.

Call BOLE. You're most likely 3rd Dept- Albany because that's for out-of-staters. You're going to transfer your UBE score via NCBE, I'd imagine then the Dept. that is certifying you (likely 3rd) will send you a certification letter, but again call BOLE and confirm.

bandida

New

Post by bandida » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:14 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
bandida wrote:How does it work if you're transferring your score? For example, I won't have a certification letter (I think). And which department do I apply to? I saw a list of counties for each department but I don't live in NY.

Call BOLE. You're most likely 3rd Dept- Albany because that's for out-of-staters. You're going to transfer your UBE score via NCBE, I'd imagine then the Dept. that is certifying you (likely 3rd) will send you a certification letter, but again call BOLE and confirm.
Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:38 am

bandida wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

Thank you!
Hey, did you ever figure this out for sure? I'm in a similar position because I transferred my UBE score to NY at the beginning of this month. I'm taking the NYLE this month, so I'm not certified yet, but will be soon. I'm trying to figure out if I can start getting all the character & fitness paperwork done, or if the documents can't be dated until after I get officially certified when I pass the NYLE and get my letter. I'd like to get moving on the paperwork because it's obviously a lot.

drive

New

Post by drive » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:20 pm

In terms of (3) two original affidavits of good moral character, can I request this to my non-law professor (I took one class and he is very reputable) or my law professor (I took two classes).

Both of them agreed to be on my reference list for my job application. It is NY.

What do you think?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:25 pm

drive wrote:In terms of (3) two original affidavits of good moral character, can I request this to my non-law professor (I took one class and he is very reputable) or my law professor (I took two classes).

Both of them agreed to be on my reference list for my job application. It is NY.

What do you think?
Your moral character affidavits can't be completed by faculty members of any law school you've attended. You're probably better off just getting a couple of friends who know you very well to complete the affidavits.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Oh let me amend my statement - friends who are not fellow applicants! The first time I read the form I missed the "or by other applicants" part so my law school best friend and I had been planning to swap forms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

drive

New

Post by drive » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:10 am

Slytherpuff wrote:Oh let me amend my statement - friends who are not fellow applicants! The first time I read the form I missed the "or by other applicants" part so my law school best friend and I had been planning to swap forms.
Thanks a million. Seriously. :D :D

Do you think my unemployed friend (for like 10 years) would be good enough to submit the affidavit for me?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:41 am

drive wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:Oh let me amend my statement - friends who are not fellow applicants! The first time I read the form I missed the "or by other applicants" part so my law school best friend and I had been planning to swap forms.
Thanks a million. Seriously. :D :D

Do you think my unemployed friend (for like 10 years) would be good enough to submit the affidavit for me?
It doesn't matter if they are unemployed, they just have to know you well enough to attest to your moral character. I think that sounds fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”