July 2017 Virginia Bar Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
crookiz

New

Re: July 2017 Virginia Bar Thread

Post by crookiz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:30 pm

barkschool wrote:
ScooterGa wrote:
barkschool wrote:anyone know how we keep time on the test
Mouse over the cog at the top right of the screen, then click on "Enrolled Student Center" then "Bar Review Lectures" on the left side of the screen (about the middle) and it is the first thing listed, 3 HOUR TIME CLOCK when it comes up!
I mean on the day of
There are clocks in the exam room. I don't recall if the testing software displays the time as well but I vaguely recall that it did.

ScooterGa

New

Post by ScooterGa » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:42 pm

Reposting this here from another thread:

Does anybody know how many people actually use Adatpibar? I know that Barbri shows me everybody taking the Studysmart questions, but I don't see any indicator of how many people use Adaptibar nationally or in state

mimi2255

New

Post by mimi2255 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:49 pm

ScooterGa wrote:Reposting this here from another thread:

Does anybody know how many people actually use Adatpibar? I know that Barbri shows me everybody taking the Studysmart questions, but I don't see any indicator of how many people use Adaptibar nationally or in state
I was actually wondering about this too and emailed Adaptibar to ask. They said there is about 10,000 users this session.

ScooterGa

New

Post by ScooterGa » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:34 pm

mimi2255 wrote:
ScooterGa wrote:Reposting this here from another thread:

I was actually wondering about this too and emailed Adaptibar to ask. They said there is about 10,000 users this session.
I got a response today as well that said they have 10,000 but they couldn't tell me how many were in Virginia, oh well, that's probably a good number I would assume.

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:11 pm

Can anyone tell me whether or not the business judgment rule applies to a duty of loyalty as well as the duty of care analysis in Virginia? Themis seems to only apply the business judgment rule in analyzing the duty of care, but I remember seeing it discussed in the context of the duty of loyalty when taking corporations in school (granted that was usually Delaware law).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Law Dude

New

Post by Law Dude » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Yes it applies to both in Virginia.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:49 pm

anyone receive confirmation of their laptop registration.

crookiz

New

Post by crookiz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:57 pm

barkschool wrote:anyone receive confirmation of their laptop registration.
You should be able to log in and download the software. I did shortly after registration.

The "Important ID Check" email has a section confirming your laptop registration as well.

elleyes17

New

Post by elleyes17 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:38 pm

barkschool wrote:anyone receive confirmation of their laptop registration.
The last email I received was one saying they would send out a confirmation email approx. 1 week after the deadline passed and Extegrity notifies VBBE who paid. Hopefully tomorrow?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:26 am

After doing all the sample essays etc., what areas are you are most and least hoping to see as essays?

Most:(1) corporations, (2) wills and trusts, and (3) sales

Least: (1) domestic relations, (2) criminal procedure, (3) commercial paper

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:18 pm

shaynislegend wrote:After doing all the sample essays etc., what areas are you are most and least hoping to see as essays?

Most: corporations, wills/ trusts/ partnership, agency

Least: commercial paper, secured transactions, conflict of laws

righty

New

Post by righty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:53 pm

By the way, does anybody know what the deal with lunch is? I assume we can't bring anything in, but there don't really seem to be a ton of places nearby and I'm not sure how long we get?

elleyes17

New

Post by elleyes17 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:58 pm

shaynislegend wrote:After doing all the sample essays etc., what areas are you are most and least hoping to see as essays?

Most (for now): (1) wills and trusts (2) criminal procedure (3) domestic relations (or in the alternative, an evidence EXACTLY like the Feb. bar :D)
Least: (1) commercial paper!! (2) commercial paper!! (3) commercial paper!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crookiz

New

Post by crookiz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:05 pm

righty wrote:By the way, does anybody know what the deal with lunch is? I assume we can't bring anything in, but there don't really seem to be a ton of places nearby and I'm not sure how long we get?
There is a McDonald's and Sheetz across the street. I don't recall much else. Personally, I brought a cooler and left that in my car. I made something the night before and ate it there. If you are affiliated with a Virginia or D.C. law school you can have catered lunch with them. I recall on the second day Chick-Fil-A had a cart outside where you could buy something.

Honestly, I would bring my own lunch and try to keep it safe in your car. I remember it being an hour for lunch at least.

I hope that helps, I tried to erase all memories of that exam after it was over. It wasn't so bad though.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:28 pm

crookiz wrote:
righty wrote:By the way, does anybody know what the deal with lunch is? I assume we can't bring anything in, but there don't really seem to be a ton of places nearby and I'm not sure how long we get?
There is a McDonald's and Sheetz across the street. I don't recall much else. Personally, I brought a cooler and left that in my car. I made something the night before and ate it there. If you are affiliated with a Virginia or D.C. law school you can have catered lunch with them. I recall on the second day Chick-Fil-A had a cart outside where you could buy something.

Honestly, I would bring my own lunch and try to keep it safe in your car. I remember it being an hour for lunch at least.

I hope that helps, I tried to erase all memories of that exam after it was over. It wasn't so bad though.
my school told us specifically they'd covered us

Crookiz, I'd reach out to your school and ask

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:32 pm

elleyes17 wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:(3) commercial paper
Least: (1) commercial paper!! (2) commercial paper!! (3) commercial paper!!
only thing i'd be okay with:

A signs the back of her check.

Gives it to B.

Can B cash it?

crookiz

New

Post by crookiz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:52 pm

barkschool wrote:
Crookiz, I'd reach out to your school and ask
I was writing in response to righty and anyone else who may have had a similar question. It was a concern of mine when I took the exam in Roanoke so I was hoping to be able to pass on some of my first hand experience about the logistics of the exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nenydcusc

New

Post by nenydcusc » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:59 am

I just noticed the February 2017 exam had an essay on evidence yet Barbri offers no practice essays on the subject. I guess it's probably unlikely to appear on our test because it's so seldomly tested and it was in the feb exam but still, I'd feel better if Barbri at least gave me the chance to practice a couple.

EDIT: just saw there was discussion of this at the beginning of the thread...still annoyed barbri doesn't give us practice essays.

elleyes17

New

Post by elleyes17 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:14 pm

nenydcusc wrote:I just noticed the February 2017 exam had an essay on evidence yet Barbri offers no practice essays on the subject. I guess it's probably unlikely to appear on our test because it's so seldomly tested and it was in the feb exam but still, I'd feel better if Barbri at least gave me the chance to practice a couple.

EDIT: just saw there was discussion of this at the beginning of the thread...still annoyed barbri doesn't give us practice essays.
no torts essays either. I guess they like to live dangerously and bring us along for the ride.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:00 am

I'm starting to get to the point where I feel like it's almost okay that 60% of the weight is essays

elleyes17

New

Post by elleyes17 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:39 am

barkschool wrote:I'm starting to get to the point where I feel like it's almost okay that 60% of the weight is essays
Not me......I would rather the entire thing be multiple choice :shock: or less weight on the essays. What is your secret to move into that comfort zone Obiwan....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:16 am

elleyes17 wrote:
barkschool wrote:I'm starting to get to the point where I feel like it's almost okay that 60% of the weight is essays
Not me......I would rather the entire thing be multiple choice :shock: or less weight on the essays. What is your secret to move into that comfort zone Obiwan....
I've felt ok about the essays because I feel like Themis gave us a heads up on the minor ridiculous and random rules they've tested before so I've known them in the practice exam. What I am worried about is that VA tests on these ridiculously nuanced rules but because they haven before Themis didn't point them out...

It's a dark world we live in

elleyes17

New

Post by elleyes17 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:31 am

shaynislegend wrote:
elleyes17 wrote:
I've felt ok about the essays because I feel like Themis gave us a heads up on the minor ridiculous and random rules they've tested before so I've known them in the practice exam. What I am worried about is that VA tests on these ridiculously nuanced rules but because they haven before Themis didn't point them out...

It's a dark world we live in
I heard Themis was pretty good about that. I have Barbri- I wonder if Themis would let me buy just the final review outlines!! :roll:

jmdoconnell

New

Post by jmdoconnell » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:21 am

crookiz wrote:
barkschool wrote:
ScooterGa wrote:
barkschool wrote:anyone know how we keep time on the test
Mouse over the cog at the top right of the screen, then click on "Enrolled Student Center" then "Bar Review Lectures" on the left side of the screen (about the middle) and it is the first thing listed, 3 HOUR TIME CLOCK when it comes up!
I mean on the day of
There are clocks in the exam room. I don't recall if the testing software displays the time as well but I vaguely recall that it did.
If you are using a computer, they display a countdown clock on the wall/screen at the front of the room and at the back of the room (at least that is how it was done up through July 2013). They say that they position them so that you can see at least one of them from any seat in the room... Not so true if you ave a pillar in your sight line. If you want to try and keep benchmark times for when your essays should be done, make sure you know what they are going backwards. It used to be you could have a simple watch so you could set to 12:00 and know at 12:36, 1:12, 1:48, etc. were your benchmark times, but now you can't and you need to know that it is at 2:24, 1:48, 1:12, and 36...

jmdoconnell

New

Post by jmdoconnell » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:22 am

Did anybody use Wade Berryhill as a tutor or for bar review this year?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”