July 2017 Texas Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dtjustice

New

July 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Post by dtjustice » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:51 pm

I don't if this is how to start a thread but here it goes....

chpvtt

New

Re: July 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Post by chpvtt » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Here!

dtjustice

New

Post by dtjustice » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:00 pm

Awesome, it worked! Ok...I'm going to go pig out, drink something (I don't drink, so it shouldn't take but a sip LOL) and crash. I'll be back bright eyed and bushy tailed Monday to start the new journey!

Deb

_cant_deal

New

Post by _cant_deal » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Here. Thanks for setting this up-I admire your drive! I'll follow you all and maybe it'll help inform my decision.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:05 pm

_cant_deal wrote:Here. Thanks for setting this up-I admire your drive! I'll follow you all and maybe it'll help inform my decision.
Don't give up! Don't let this fail define you. Read my post about how I improved by 121 points and am ready to conquer the next one!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wtfdoidonow

New

Post by wtfdoidonow » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:57 pm

Estecontre wrote:
_cant_deal wrote:Here. Thanks for setting this up-I admire your drive! I'll follow you all and maybe it'll help inform my decision.
Don't give up! Don't let this fail define you. Read my post about how I improved by 121 points and am ready to conquer the next one!!
I saw your post in the F17 thread, Estecontre, and I gotta say it gave me more incentive to try tackling this a third time than anything else has so far since the results broke today. Thanks for sharing!

Feb17TBE

New

Post by Feb17TBE » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:35 am

Anyone here taking the bar for the FIFTH time? anyone? anyone? No? Just me? Yes, my friends, I have fought with this beast four times now. And I am, in no way in hell, giving up. Remember that story about the spider who kept climbing up the wall and falling? I am that spider. He climbed and fell, climbed and fell, but he never gave up. Failure is not when you fall down, failure is when you don't get up. This does not define me. But if I stop trying, it will. So, am I disappointed that I failed this time by 13 points? Yes and no. It had always been the essays that brought my score down, scoring even in the 0th percentile at times (if you can even call that a "score"). But this time I scored mostly between 48-87th range. So I focused all my energy on the essays this time and did as well as I could have hoped. I'd always scored in the 130s for the MBE but this time I got 117! lowest ever! It would have been nice to pass. So there's a tinge of disappointment there but I was actually very happy with my essay scores. I also scored on 79th and 86th for the P&Es and went from 20th percentile on the MPT to 58th this time. As a side note, I'd scored on 4th percentile on Feb16. I only see how much I've improved. I don't see how bad I've done it anymore. This is just how it's gonna work for me. I'm gonna be the girl who failed the bar 4 times. And that's ok. But I'm also gonna be the girl who never gave up. And that's the whole point.
So, if you've failed once, twice, or thrice, know that it doesn't define you. I went through phases of sobbing uncontrollably to taking the stairs at work so I don't have to feel embarrassed around other people. So, believe me, I know what you're going through. And you know what? nobody gives a shit. They'll give you strange looks for a few days, then they'll get on with their lives. Nobody has the time to go out of their way to think about how you failed and make you feel badly for it. If they do, they're just assholes. And they probably were assholes to begin with. So don't waste your time thinking about these types of people. Most people will encourage you, most will say, don't worry, you'll get it next time. Be grateful for these people but it doesn't matter what these people say either. What matters is what YOU think of yourself. You know how you studied, you know how much time you put into it. You even knew going into that exam hall how you prepared you were. Nobody needs to know or understand that but yourself. I've learnt that this exam is a beast. I just see myself as gathering more weapons to my arsenal every time I take this. It's a lesson learned each time. This time I've learned that you can't ignore or under-prepare for any portion of the exam. Know that you have 2.5 months to prepare yourself for the next battle. Prepare and prepare well. You have an advantage over the first-time takers. Know your weaknesses and focus on the weaker portions of the exam. Come up with a strategy. And the one that applies to me now, don't ignore the stuff you think you already know.
So let's do this. Feel free to message me if you wanna know my strategies or need help coming up with one. Because you need one. You need a plan of attack for this beast. Let's get crackin'. Kill the beast.

dtjustice

New

Post by dtjustice » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:19 am

I'm taking next February but I want to be in a good place by July Bar so this forum will help keep me motivated! I hope a lot of people join :-) WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dtjustice

New

Post by dtjustice » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:20 am

I'm in Abilene....where is everyone else?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lumberjack00

New

Post by lumberjack00 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:55 am

Gearing up to take July as well. A glance at the February discussion seems like the it was pretty tough.

Also, for any past passers, would you recommend Adaptibar? I purchased the critical pass flashcards, and will be doing Barbri, but I'm not sure if Adaptibar is worth it.

Here's a discount for critical pass flashcards if anyone is planning on getting those as well: http://go.referralcandy.com/share/P4JVFRK

chpvtt

New

Post by chpvtt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:17 am

I'm in Houston and am kinda grateful that the exam will also be in Houston for July. I think being able to take the exam then come home to your own bed would be a great advantage. (That and not having to pay hundreds for a place to stay during testing.)

I was feeling okay yesterday, I accepted that I failed, wasn't too disappointed. But it hit hard today. So close but it wasn't enough. (I'm more worried that I keep taking it and won't pass.) Hopefully this feeling will die down in a couple days.

I'm reusing my old Themis books from Feb to study again this time around (mostly because I feel like it did go over everything on the exam) and just purchased those Critical Pass flashcards from the link above (Thanks lumberjack00)! I wasn't planning on buying anything extra, but I figured maybe adding those flashcards will be worth the money spent.

Glad everyone is here in this forum!!

dtjustice

New

Post by dtjustice » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:55 am

I have a little of everything under the sun since I've been at this off and on since 2001. I wanted to take the exam in Houston again since that's where I went to school but honestly, I loved everyone being on equal footing at one place where the cliques were to a minimum and there was a lot less intimidation to "outsiders" so I am glad I'm taking February again. I have found Themis to be the most helpful but just couldn't focus when I needed to. BarBri seemed useless and Critical Pass cards seemed like the next best thing since sliced bread but my problem was trying to work through book or online MBE questions "open book/note" and relying on the cards to give me the answers. I couldn't get the answers from reviewing those cards hardly at all. As for reinforcing the law, they're perfect though.

Hottexas

New

Post by Hottexas » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:56 pm

Feb17TBE wrote:Anyone here taking the bar for the FIFTH time? anyone? anyone? No? Just me? Yes, my friends, I have fought with this beast four times now. And I am, in no way in hell, giving up. Remember that story about the spider who kept climbing up the wall and falling? I am that spider. He climbed and fell, climbed and fell, but he never gave up. Failure is not when you fall down, failure is when you don't get up. This does not define me. But if I stop trying, it will. So, am I disappointed that I failed this time by 13 points? Yes and no. It had always been the essays that brought my score down, scoring even in the 0th percentile at times (if you can even call that a "score"). But this time I scored mostly between 48-87th range. So I focused all my energy on the essays this time and did as well as I could have hoped. I'd always scored in the 130s for the MBE but this time I got 117! lowest ever! It would have been nice to pass. So there's a tinge of disappointment there but I was actually very happy with my essay scores. I also scored on 79th and 86th for the P&Es and went from 20th percentile on the MPT to 58th this time. As a side note, I'd scored on 4th percentile on Feb16. I only see how much I've improved. I don't see how bad I've done it anymore. This is just how it's gonna work for me. I'm gonna be the girl who failed the bar 4 times. And that's ok. But I'm also gonna be the girl who never gave up. And that's the whole point.
So, if you've failed once, twice, or thrice, know that it doesn't define you. I went through phases of sobbing uncontrollably to taking the stairs at work so I don't have to feel embarrassed around other people. So, believe me, I know what you're going through. And you know what? nobody gives a shit. They'll give you strange looks for a few days, then they'll get on with their lives. Nobody has the time to go out of their way to think about how you failed and make you feel badly for it. If they do, they're just assholes. And they probably were assholes to begin with. So don't waste your time thinking about these types of people. Most people will encourage you, most will say, don't worry, you'll get it next time. Be grateful for these people but it doesn't matter what these people say either. What matters is what YOU think of yourself. You know how you studied, you know how much time you put into it. You even knew going into that exam hall how you prepared you were. Nobody needs to know or understand that but yourself. I've learnt that this exam is a beast. I just see myself as gathering more weapons to my arsenal every time I take this. It's a lesson learned each time. This time I've learned that you can't ignore or under-prepare for any portion of the exam. Know that you have 2.5 months to prepare yourself for the next battle. Prepare and prepare well. You have an advantage over the first-time takers. Know your weaknesses and focus on the weaker portions of the exam. Come up with a strategy. And the one that applies to me now, don't ignore the stuff you think you already know.
So let's do this. Feel free to message me if you wanna know my strategies or need help coming up with one. Because you need one. You need a plan of attack for this beast. Let's get crackin'. Kill the beast.
Wow!! I just don't know what happens to people who don't pass at 5 th time. Does anyone have any idea of a good MBE course? I was searching last night and found Adptibar.. What do you guys think of ?
Last edited by Hottexas on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hottexas

New

Post by Hottexas » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:57 pm

dtjustice wrote:I'm in Abilene....where is everyone else?
I am in Dallas near Lover's lane.. Anyone around to study hard in the next months?

Hottexas

New

Post by Hottexas » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Feb17TBE wrote:Anyone here taking the bar for the FIFTH time? anyone? anyone? No? Just me? Yes, my friends, I have fought with this beast four times now. And I am, in no way in hell, giving up. Remember that story about the spider who kept climbing up the wall and falling? I am that spider. He climbed and fell, climbed and fell, but he never gave up. Failure is not when you fall down, failure is when you don't get up. This does not define me. But if I stop trying, it will. So, am I disappointed that I failed this time by 13 points? Yes and no. It had always been the essays that brought my score down, scoring even in the 0th percentile at times (if you can even call that a "score"). But this time I scored mostly between 48-87th range. So I focused all my energy on the essays this time and did as well as I could have hoped. I'd always scored in the 130s for the MBE but this time I got 117! lowest ever! It would have been nice to pass. So there's a tinge of disappointment there but I was actually very happy with my essay scores. I also scored on 79th and 86th for the P&Es and went from 20th percentile on the MPT to 58th this time. As a side note, I'd scored on 4th percentile on Feb16. I only see how much I've improved. I don't see how bad I've done it anymore. This is just how it's gonna work for me. I'm gonna be the girl who failed the bar 4 times. And that's ok. But I'm also gonna be the girl who never gave up. And that's the whole point.
By the way dear, YOU ARE A WINNER!! Thanks for the example here,,, My heart goes out for you because anyone can have the same situation and you are so STRONG!! I am not sure yet if I take this July .. This exam is a beast like you mentioned.... I just want to know that I am here for you too.. Maybe we should do a strong group like with text group not sure if this works... I never understood the Rule of Perpetuities in question for example... I am considering to see what is more efficient to me... Keep going dear, you are a great example.. I hope we all make next time,, By best wishes and admiration for you !!

lawabc3

New

Post by lawabc3 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:40 pm

This was my second bar (I passed NY in 2012 and had to take Texas because I moved here). I did Themis both times (which I have mixed feelings about, but have nothing to compare to). For those looking for study tips/asking about Adaptibar, I would say:
1) Adaptibar is a good supplement for your regular bar course. I only used it on Texas. The MBE wasn't going well for me towards the end. I got Adaptibar in the last week or so of study. It's nice because unlike the practice question sets from Themis, you can just do a couple here and there when you have a second instead of needing to commit to an hour+. I wish I had gotten it sooner.

2) For the Texas essays, I would recommend going to the bar website and doing a lot of the old P&E and essay questions and checking against sample answers. If you don't have a problem writing quickly, just outline them. If you do have a problem with time, you should actually time yourself and write. I ended up not discovering this until the very end (like the day before the exam) and I think it helped a lot. It was honestly more helpful than anything for the Texas essays. https://ble.texas.gov/selected-answers

3) For essays, even if you don't know the answer, write as much stuff as you know about the subject, drop all the remotely relevant terminology you know, and apply it. Even if it's wrong, you will get some points. Apparently some people just don't write stuff if they don't know the answer. This is your chance to bullshit your way into points. You have to write whatever you can think of.

4) If you are not super good at organizing your thoughts ahead of time, don't try to handwrite the bar! Get the cheapest laptop you can find and type so you can edit better!

The bar is just ritualized hazing/a money racket, honestly. Just try to rack up points however you can.

WaitingforNJ25

New

Post by WaitingforNJ25 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Hottexas wrote:
By the way dear, YOU ARE A WINNER!! Thanks for the example here,,, My heart goes out for you because anyone can have the same situation and you are so STRONG!! I am not sure yet if I take this July .. This exam is a beast like you mentioned.... I just want to know that I am here for you too.. Maybe we should do a strong group like with text group not sure if this works... I never understood the Rule of Perpetuities in question for example... I am considering to see what is more efficient to me... Keep going dear, you are a great example.. I hope we all make next time,, By best wishes and admiration for you !!

Ya'll got this. Just know that you are all inspiring others!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dtjustice

New

Post by dtjustice » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:50 pm

These forums are great! It would also be great (and a bit more "liberal") if those who want, would like to create an online study group in another media, where we could attack difficult areas and ensure we fully understand everything, while being supportive to each other and holding each other accountable! It sounds like the motivation is there already so it's just going to be a lot of hard work from now until the exam. We could "meet" once or twice a week or however is most accommodating...I have no problem posting my phone number for those who text .... I have to heavy filter my phone when I'm working so just make sure you let me know you're from this site or I won't respond. I'm so excited!!! I'll cross-post this so the whole group sees. :-)

Deb
(325) 267-1160

blatallic

New

Post by blatallic » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:13 pm

Hey everyone, I want to say that I am truly lucky to have found this site. I'm not much of a poster, I just read tons of threads. I've been using it since 1L. Now it's bar time. Although I'm attending a school outside of TX, we got lucky because they offered a Texas Survey class. Which covers Civil/Crim procedure, Oil and Gas, Community Property, Consumer Law and MPT. It's been a busy semester and long days getting ready for finals.

Th study group idea sounds great. I'm more than willing to participate. I feel like I'm behind since in Florida we did not hit much of the Texas subjects but I think I'll be fine.

What is everyone using for bar prep? We were given Barbri free so I'm using that. I'm also using flash cards on spaced repetition site that I joined yesterday. I'm giving that a shot. I usually write everything out a million times to memorize it, but it's time-consuming and there's tons of material. I'm open to any suggestions and I look forward to being part of this Journey. :D

dtjustice

New

Post by dtjustice » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:42 pm

Ok...a "July 2017 Bar Exam" group on WhatsApp mobile application has been created. If you would like to be added to the group...private message me with your phone number (or if you're fearless....post it) :-)

Deb

blatallic

New

Post by blatallic » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Alright, here's mine.

Diller - 832-655-5509

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dtjustice

New

Post by dtjustice » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:31 pm

blatallic wrote:Alright, here's mine.

Diller - 832-655-5509
I think I added you :-)

TXforeignlawyer

New

Post by TXforeignlawyer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:39 pm

Checking in, I'm in Fort Worth

Feb17TBE

New

Post by Feb17TBE » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:42 pm

Hottexas wrote:
Haha, let's say that I will come out of it as a winner. Thank you for your kind words. I'm just hoping to reach out to people who have failed (no matter how many times) and hopefully motivate them to prepare better and study that much harder the next time because I know exactly what it feels like. I'm totally up for a motivation group because I know that at some point in these next few months I'm gonna wanna throw my books in the fire because it can get overwhelming. We're all gonna need some support. PM me anytime you want! and you know, whether you take it this July or not, you're gonna have to take it some time. So, why not now?

TXforeignlawyer

New

Post by TXforeignlawyer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:44 pm

I've tried to send you a pm with mine, hope it worked

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”