July 2017 Texas Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BVest

Platinum

Re: July 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Post by BVest » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:11 am

General Instructions wrote:9. Starting, But Not Completing, the Bar Exam
You may take the Bar Exam a maximum of 5 times. If you sit for any part of an exam, it
will count as one of your 5 attempts. However, unless you make a bona fide effort to
complete each section of the exam, we will not grade any part of the exam, and if you
want to take a future exam, you must submit a re-application and fees by the applicable
deadline in Rule IX(a).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:54 am

BVest wrote:
General Instructions wrote:9. Starting, But Not Completing, the Bar Exam
You may take the Bar Exam a maximum of 5 times. If you sit for any part of an exam, it
will count as one of your 5 attempts. However, unless you make a bona fide effort to
complete each section of the exam, we will not grade any part of the exam, and if you
want to take a future exam, you must submit a re-application and fees by the applicable
deadline in Rule IX(a).
Ahhhh thank you! I was looking in the wrong part. Sounds like it won't affect the scores much...except for those that stayed until the end and didn't answer or underestimated the test.

lovesthelaw

New

Post by lovesthelaw » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:05 pm

Thank you so much for writing all of that out - that definitely helped a lot and made me feel better. If my score was totally based on Day 1 and 3, I would actually feel super confident I passed... but with the MBE, I just have no idea. I was doing really well on practice tests consistently. The MBE was my favorite going into the Bar and I remember waking up on Wednesday feeling pumped for it because I felt so confident. But the actual test was just so tough. I know so many people feel that way and end up passing, so I am super hopeful...but it's just so unsettling!!! Haha

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:52 pm

lovesthelaw wrote:Thank you so much for writing all of that out - that definitely helped a lot and made me feel better. If my score was totally based on Day 1 and 3, I would actually feel super confident I passed... but with the MBE, I just have no idea. I was doing really well on practice tests consistently. The MBE was my favorite going into the Bar and I remember waking up on Wednesday feeling pumped for it because I felt so confident. But the actual test was just so tough. I know so many people feel that way and end up passing, so I am super hopeful...but it's just so unsettling!!! Haha
(a) Non-MBE portions of the exam can carry you. I went into the MBE in July 2015 super confident and walked out shaken; I went into the essays dreading them and walked out confident about how I did on them. I ended up passing with a cushion. With my essay/MPT/P-E score, I could have scored as low as 111 on the MBE (like 5th %ile) and still passed. My actual MBE score, however, was higher than my other score.

(b) If you were 94th %ile on barbri MBE prep you're probably in good shape. I'd guess about a 165 scaled.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thrive

Bronze

Post by Thrive » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Estecontre wrote:
Thrive wrote:
Estecontre wrote:Wait, what? You mean one or two questions per essay question, right? Even so, I'd take those odds.

No I mean one or two essay question completely right or almost correctly. Not every question has subparts or subquestions.
Geez, I hope you're right. That's definitely encouraging.
Its too hard to tell. There's so many factors that go behind it and beyond your personal performance.

Thought I would edit my comment to give a bit more insight. If you want I can go into more specifics, but I have a previous posts about this. Anyways, this is my third time taking it. First time I took it I failed miserably, last time around I missed it by 20 points . . . missed the score needed on the MBE by 4 points and missed the score needed on the MPT and short answer. I knew right away that the MPT would fail me and it turns out I was right. Anyways, last time around I scored a scaled 136.5 on the essay portion. Of the 12 essays on 7 of them I scored a 50% or better. Of those 7 one was in the 80th percentile another in the 77th, four were in the 60th percentile range and one in the 56th percentile. The rest I had fell in the 40th, 30th, 20th and 10th percentile. If you were to average all my percentile I was around the 50th percentile. Even though you really can't use a previous score as an benchmark, scoring in the 50th percentile for the essays might get you 135 score you need. Moreover, I didn't exactly knock each question out of the park, I did well on two with 5 others being above average. Not every essay needs to be above average. Not too mention I scored in the 19 percentile for an essay that: 1.) Was on a subject I had studied very little and 2.) I BSed through half out of it (it was the last essay I had left and knew so little about and not wanting to be stuck waiting around for the extra 15 minutes I hurried through it and answered it half-assed).

Another point I've said before, but it really plays out here, if you at least made an effort you're going to get points and you're not leaving anything on the table. I saw multiple people struggle with the commercial paper question and heard about people BSing it and even saw someone leave it blank. I can almost guarantee they weren't the only ones that struggled with it or left it blank and that was just one subject. Some people struggle with real property but excel in others. Take the real property question from the last test, I think it was super simple and it's something you should've known, but I overheard people complaining about how tough it was.

I have no proof for this, but I want to say this curve will be more favorable since more people were taking it and more people were prone to make mistakes than compared to last time. Hell, there were a couple of empty seats at my location and a couple people that showed up for the first day and then never showed up again and more people that showed up for the MBE and then didn't come for the last day. I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure there's a way to cancel your scores, some of these people will cancel and others will just say f it and keep the scores they receive.
Enlightening post. Thanks for this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

np1211

New

Post by np1211 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:21 pm

sorry guys off topic but is everyone working while waiting for the bar results? I am new to Texas and not aware of what the job market is like and was wondering if i should start applying or is there any point since it will be nearly impossible to find something without the bar results.

So glad we are done with the bar exam. I have taken the bar exam twice before for other states and have passed, i walked out of this one same way i walked out of the other two. Felt like i knew some stuff but definitely some things i wasn't sure what was being asked. But at the end of the day you never know how you did until you get the results. Although everyday i wonder if i passed i don't want to stress my self worrying because it seems like it is one big mystery as to how it is being graded. just feel confident for all the effort you put in and hope for the best.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:39 pm

lovesthelaw wrote:Thank you so much for writing all of that out - that definitely helped a lot and made me feel better. If my score was totally based on Day 1 and 3, I would actually feel super confident I passed... but with the MBE, I just have no idea. I was doing really well on practice tests consistently. The MBE was my favorite going into the Bar and I remember waking up on Wednesday feeling pumped for it because I felt so confident. But the actual test was just so tough. I know so many people feel that way and end up passing, so I am super hopeful...but it's just so unsettling!!! Haha
You're welcome. I, like many people, will be worried until results come out. I don't feel like I did enough to pass, actually truth be told I felt a lot more confident coming out the last time I took it. The essays felt a lot easier last time, but also on second thought some of the essays this time around were pretty straightforward. Personally, I think I did pretty well on the secured transactions, family law, consumer, and partnership questions. Commercial paper was not tough, but the rules slipped my mind and I kind of BSed it, but then again I know a lot of people did not feel comfortable with this question. The only portion I feel awful about is the criminal procedure questions, I was skipping so many questions and guessed on a good 5 questions. Civil procedure has never been a strong suit, but as long as I score the 67 points needed there I'll be fine since my MPT will have pick up easy points compared to last time.

Anyways, I don't mind telling my story as long as it helps a lot of people get some insight into the scoring for the bar. and help relieve some of the stress that comes with waiting for results. People feel like they absolutely need to excel in every section or get every single issue in the essays. All you need is a 675 and that's it, you've passed! The essays is a great place to get points, because there's a lot of places you can get something right that somebody might not. Compare this to the MBE where there are no partial points and either you got it right or you didn't. BVest already mentioned this, but one of the things I appreciate about the Texas bar is that there's a lot of variables and certain sections can help carry you. Do well enough on a one of the sections and one of your can suffer a bit and you can still pass.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:01 pm

The BLE has posted the exam questions online. I'm sure y'all are dying to relive those three days.

It is generally said that the BLE doesn't waste essay facts, but they sure seemed to waste a bunch of Crim P/E facts.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

sshumer

New

Post by sshumer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:15 pm

I laughed because I misread criminal question 18. I thought because 17 was talking about acquittal I thought 18 was asking if they wanted to reopened the case after acquittal and responded double jeopardy rule. Oh well, it is only one questions. Any one want to respond to what the actual answer should have been?
I think that it would be ok because the charge had not been read to the jury. any thoughts
Last edited by sshumer on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:40 pm

sshumer wrote:I laughed because I misread criminal question 18. I thought because 17 was talking about acquittal I thought 18 was asking if they wanted to reopened the case after acquittal and responded double jeopardy rule. Oh well, it is only one questions. Any one want to respond to what the actual answer should have been?
Those criminal questions were ridiculous. I would love to help you out, but that's one question that I totally guessed on. Haha. Luckily it's only worth 5% (10% when you add the civil procedure questions) in the grand scheme of things.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm

sshumer wrote:I laughed because I misread criminal question 18. I thought because 17 was talking about acquittal I thought 18 was asking if they wanted to reopened the case after acquittal and responded double jeopardy rule. Oh well, it is only one questions. Any one want to respond to what the actual answer should have been?
I think that it would be ok because the charge had not been read to the jury. any thoughts
I don't believe the court can allow the prosecutor to put on additional evidence in its case-in-chief once the prosecutor has concluded. However, if the defendant puts on evidence, some of the reporter's testimony may be used in rebuttal, but that's off the top of my head.

E: Apparently I might have gotten it wrong off the top of my head:
Art. 36.02. TESTIMONY AT ANY TIME. The court shall allow testimony to be introduced at any time before the argument of a cause is concluded, if it appears that it is necessary to a due administration of justice.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:29 pm

I feel like I failed. I got a lot of the essay questions wrong, even though I spotted the issue. I totally made up Commercial Paper and Family Law. If I fail, it's gonna be the essays that sink me.

guyindfw1

New

Post by guyindfw1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:19 pm

I need the Barbri Conviser to prep. Please message me. I can buy the whole set of books as well. Thank you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:51 am

leib10 wrote:I feel like I failed. I got a lot of the essay questions wrong, even though I spotted the issue. I totally made up Commercial Paper and Family Law. If I fail, it's gonna be the essays that sink me.
I think this is a normal way to feel. It's really rare for somebody coming out feeling like they passed. I also wouldn't really too much about the essays, it's difficult to get every single one right. Read some of my previous posts...you don't need to do well with every essay. I feel like if you extremely well on one and averge or above average on a couple you'll be able to get the 135 needed. Not to mention, as long as you put something down you'll get points for that. Could be worse I heard of a lot of people struggling with Commercial Paper and saw someone leave it blank...

justice2018

New

Post by justice2018 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi is anyone interested in buying barbri bar review 2016 entire set? however the conviser mini review is 2017. If anyone's interested please message me.

MnM22

Bronze

Post by MnM22 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:59 pm

So what are we supposed to do about registering for the February Bar in the event that we don't pass? Like, the absolute late deadline is October 30th, but the July results don't come out until November 3rd. So we we just sign up and the Texas Bar takes the money if we pass? And if you don't do that, you have to wait a whole year to re-take?

That seems like more than a coincidence on their part...

Feb17TBE

New

Post by Feb17TBE » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:18 pm

MnM22 wrote:So what are we supposed to do about registering for the February Bar in the event that we don't pass? Like, the absolute late deadline is October 30th, but the July results don't come out until November 3rd. So we we just sign up and the Texas Bar takes the money if we pass? And if you don't do that, you have to wait a whole year to re-take?

That seems like more than a coincidence on their part...
There's an extended deadline for the re-takers. I believe you get at least 30 days to send in the application for Feb.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

czechos37

New

Post by czechos37 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:32 am

I found an article (link is below) that indicates that the average July 2017 MBE score was higher than expected, coming in at 141.7. The article admittedly does not know exactly where the source they are citing from gets their information (there is a link to the original source's article in the article that is linked below), but indicates that they have accurately reported the average MBE scores in the past. So, with their disclaimer, take it for what it's worth, but just thought I'd share for anyone who is interested.

https://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/j ... -expected/

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:00 pm

czechos37 wrote:I found an article (link is below) that indicates that the average July 2017 MBE score was higher than expected, coming in at 141.7. The article admittedly does not know exactly where the source they are citing from gets their information (there is a link to the original source's article in the article that is linked below), but indicates that they have accurately reported the average MBE scores in the past. So, with their disclaimer, take it for what it's worth, but just thought I'd share for anyone who is interested.

https://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/j ... -expected/
I know this is purely anecdotal, but I can see the average MBE score being that high. Lots of people here reported having pretty high MBE scores. I want to take it with a grain of salt though...I'm unsure how I feel about it this time around. Essays were good if not great, bar one of two (there was only one I had no idea on). MPT went better than last time and probably about the same for short answer. MBE is the only portion I can't judge...it's also what could've saved me if I got ten points more...but I don't want to count on having a higher score than last time just because of a reported higher average.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:04 am

Anybody else regretting taking the bar in Texas yet? This wait is brutal...

TXBar2017

New

Post by TXBar2017 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:33 pm

leib10 wrote:Anybody else regretting taking the bar in Texas yet? This wait is brutal...
Yeah this wait is getting ridiculous. I find myself feeling less and less confident about my results, but I know that's natural because we only focus on what we didn't know.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chuckfin0808

New

Post by chuckfin0808 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:55 pm

One more month ya'll!

Just a tip: You should use this month to take advantage of the free CLEs you can take on TexasBarCLE. Specifically, you should take Federal Practice and the Guardianship Ad Litem course. The Federal practice course is required to practice in federal courts. The Guardianship course is required to handle guardianship cases and to be appointed as a guardian ad litem/attorney ad litem.

Believe me, paying for CLEs can be a drag if you are a new solo!

Good luck to you all!

CAnow

New

Post by CAnow » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:31 pm

chuckfin0808 wrote:One more month ya'll!

Just a tip: You should use this month to take advantage of the free CLEs you can take on TexasBarCLE. Specifically, you should take Federal Practice and the Guardianship Ad Litem course. The Federal practice course is required to practice in federal courts. The Guardianship course is required to handle guardianship cases and to be appointed as a guardian ad litem/attorney ad litem.

Good luck to you all!
Agree regarding taking advantage of the free TexasBarCLE courses, although Federal Practice and Guardianship are not among the free courses ($265 and $170 respectively). The current free offerings are related to hurricane disaster relief. They change the free course offering every two months, although once you register they give you about a year to complete it.

With regard to Federal Practice, I took an equivalent course offered by the Travis County Women Lawyers' Association, which was only $140 (you don't have to be female to take that course).
Last edited by CAnow on Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CAnow

New

Post by CAnow » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:31 pm

TXBar2017 wrote:
leib10 wrote:Anybody else regretting taking the bar in Texas yet? This wait is brutal...
Yeah this wait is getting ridiculous. I find myself feeling less and less confident about my results, but I know that's natural because we only focus on what we didn't know.
Be thankful you didn't take it in California. We'll be waiting two weeks longer than you.

chuckfin0808

New

Post by chuckfin0808 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:28 pm

The live class may not be free but the online classes are free if you are awaiting bar results at www.TexasBarCLE.com Once you have logged in, search for the class under Online Class. Just click on "Register for Class" and click the applicable discount. "I affirm I am awaiting notification of whether I passed the Texas bar exam." ($265.00 off)

CAnow wrote:
chuckfin0808 wrote:One more month ya'll!

Good luck to you all!
Agree regarding taking advantage of the free TexasBarCLE courses, although Federal Practice and Guardianship are not among the free courses ($265 and $170 respectively). The current free offerings are related to hurricane disaster relief. They change the free course offering every two months, although once you register they give you about a year to complete it.

With regard to Federal Practice, I took an equivalent course offered by the Travis County Women Lawyers' Association, which was only $140 (you don't have to be female to take that course).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”