July 2017 Texas Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
TheJanitor6203

Silver

Re: July 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Thrive wrote:That moment when you realize that the barbri sim was easier than the real thing.

Bvest, make us feel better. How do we move on from that crap show.
It was brutal. The AM was about what I expected but the PM felt like a 3 hour long skull drag. My mind is numb.

What is everyone doing tonight to prepare for tomorrow? I'm thinking to review commercial paper and consumer law tonight but I'm not sure if I can get my mind to work enough to make it worth doing.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:16 pm

DueProcessDoWheelies wrote:
Thrive wrote:That moment when you realize that the barbri sim was easier than the real thing.

Bvest, make us feel better. How do we move on from that crap show.
I took the exam in July 2015. Literally no one feels good after MBE day. It's always so demoralizing.

Just keep your chin up and get through tomorrow.
This.

Frankly, I think it's how everyone feels about it, regardless of your test prep. If you do barbri, you find that the questions are different in style from what you've been practicing on. If you did a test prep with "real MBE questions" you find out that the real MBE questions you've been practicing on are really outdated in terms of difficulty.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

lsatyolo

Gold

Post by lsatyolo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:25 pm

My brain turned to mush during the second half. Wasn't cool.

Slow Your Roll

New

Post by Slow Your Roll » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:19 pm

How does the curve/scaling work? Let's say the average is very low—like a 58% or something. Do they curve that to make it a 135–140 scaled?

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:20 pm

Slow Your Roll wrote:How does the curve/scaling work? Let's say the average is very low—like a 58% or something. Do they curve that to make it a 135–140 scaled?
The MBE is scaled to past years while the essays are curved against each other (and then matched up with the mbe scores from this session).

So basically you want everyone else to do well on the MBE and suck at the essays

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:26 pm

nothingtosee wrote: do well on the MBE and suck at the essays
checking in!

np1211

New

Post by np1211 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:30 pm

does anyone else not feel ready for tomorrow? :cry:

livefromannarbor

Bronze

Post by livefromannarbor » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:33 pm

Slow Your Roll wrote:See ya'll in February.
I keep telling myself that at least I'll get to come back to delicious food and a break from the snow.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:44 pm

np1211 wrote:does anyone else not feel ready for tomorrow? :cry:
I did a few days ago but not anymore. Today was a total confidence killer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

np1211

New

Post by np1211 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:46 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
well it is what it is at this point. Lets hope i can convey what i know tomorrow .

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:47 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
Yeah, I just still don't get the point of this test. Like, why the hell is this the barrier to entrance? All it is is a waste of 3 months.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Anyone know how frequently community property is tested?

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:55 pm

nothingtosee wrote:Anyone know how frequently community property is tested?
Not sure, but it's probably the easiest bar subject. I'd definitely look over it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:12 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
Slow Your Roll wrote:How does the curve/scaling work? Let's say the average is very low—like a 58% or something. Do they curve that to make it a 135–140 scaled?
The MBE is scaled to past years while the essays are curved against each other (and then matched up with the mbe scores from this session).

So basically you want everyone else to do well on the MBE and suck at the essays
The equating (scaling the MBE to past years) not quite as simple as a straight-up comparison to past years. There are a number of questions on the MBE which also appeared on the February 2017 and July 2016 exams. It's only the performance of July 2017 examinees (i.e. y'all) on those questions that they compare to how the prior examinees did on the same questions. That's how they determine what the scale will be. So, if it turns out that the new July 2017 questions are just hard as crap, but y'all do as well on the equating questions as the past two groups of examinees, it's possible that everyone's raw score will be lower but the scale will be about the same, and thus a similar passage rate.

But the MBE is behind you. You can "learn" something tonight, FWIW. I learned basically everything I knew about commercial paper the night before the essays.
It's a rare exam that CP is not tested. It's definitely one of those things you could learn the basics of tonight though.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Pretty sure just about every test. I think there's typically one community prop. question and one child custody question.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:38 pm

Packing it in for tonight, gonna wake up early and study. My mind is mush after that ass-kicking.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:55 am

Can't sleep. Anything to look over before tomorrow?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:40 pm

It's done. :D :cry:

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Congrats to ALL the Texas takers on being finished (at least for now and hopefully for good), hope y'all made the Great State of Texas #1 for bar passage rates for the July 2017 exam.

Of course, I hope my Aggie brothers and sisters lead the pack and have a stellar showing for the school, but I do wish the rest of you have success as well.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:25 am

So finally back on after awhile. Couple of thoughts, I definitely was more prepared for the MPT this time around. I didn't do my best, but I definitely did better than my previous attempts. Split down the middle with Civ Pro questions. Criminal definitely killed me, they asked a lot of questions I wasn't expecting and had no cluse, but ohh well at least I tried to answer them. MBE is always a tough one to call. I did a mixture of themis questions and over 1600 Adaptibar questions. I don't think anything can truly prep you for that. I felt like I was guessing on a lot of them and was choosing the least worst answer hahaha. Essays went pretty good and even though I didn't know every single one, I had a good idea about most if not all of them. The only big surprise was that trust question, wasn't expecting that one! I studied for guardianship, luckily I had a decent idea how to answer. Keep your chins up! Could be worse, you could be the person in front of me that didn't answer like three whole essays and looked to be struggling with the essays as a whole...

Dmly

New

Post by Dmly » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:35 am

Estecontre wrote:So finally back on after awhile. Couple of thoughts, I definitely was more prepared for the MPT this time around. I didn't do my best, but I definitely did better than my previous attempts. Split down the middle with Civ Pro questions. Criminal definitely killed me, they asked a lot of questions I wasn't expecting and had no cluse, but ohh well at least I tried to answer them. MBE is always a tough one to call. I did a mixture of themis questions and over 1600 Adaptibar questions. I don't think anything can truly prep you for that. I felt like I was guessing on a lot of them and was choosing the least worst answer hahaha. Essays went pretty good and even though I didn't know every single one, I had a good idea about most if not all of them. The only big surprise was that trust question, wasn't expecting that one! I studied for guardianship, luckily I had a decent idea how to answer. Keep your chins up! Could be worse, you could be the person in front of me that didn't answer like three whole essays and looked to be struggling with the essays as a whole...

As soon as I saw the mpt topic, I felt really good. It was very straightforward. On the civil, I feel like I pro got 15/20 right and criminal is always a difficult answer. So for the most part I gsve my best educated guess.

On the mbe, you're right, the morning session felt easier and then afternoon just intense druggery. Luckily went over the trust question from past year, so knew it well and the exceptions. I answered every question and tried to give as much as law as I could.

I just wish they didn't take til November to grade.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:49 am

MPT went okay since it wasn't on some obscure topic like copyright law, and the P&Es were okay except for Criminal's 5-6 questions that I had never seen before. The MBE is always a wild card, I was one of the few that thought the afternoon questions went better than the morning ones. The essays were a mixed bag. I totally made up the Commercial Law and Family Law essays, and a few individual questions on some of the remaining ones.

Time will tell. I feel like if I passed, it won't be by much.

TexasRepeater

New

Post by TexasRepeater » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:38 am

Well, that was horrible, but we're done!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:37 am

I'm updating my charts of past exams. If you're permitted to disclose at this point (BLE usually tells examinees when they may discuss the exam, often as an announcement at the end of the exam), please confirm the following:

Guardianship/Trusts = Trusts
UCC = UCC3 & UCC9
MPT = Objective Memo

Thanks.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thrive

Bronze

Post by Thrive » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:52 am

leib10 wrote:MPT went okay since it wasn't on some obscure topic like copyright law, and the P&Es were okay except for Criminal's 5-6 questions that I had never seen before. The MBE is always a wild card, I was one of the few that thought the afternoon questions went better than the morning ones. The essays were a mixed bag. I totally made up the Commercial Law and Family Law essays, and a few individual questions on some of the remaining ones.

Time will tell. I feel like if I passed, it won't be by much.
I felt similar. I did decent on the barbri sim but that MBE caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting such a challenge in light of Barbri's promise that the sim was harder.

Anyways, regarding the essays, all I have been wondering is whether you can still score well in the essays if you get some subtopics within the essays wrong.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”