July 2017 Texas Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
np1211

New

Re: July 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Post by np1211 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Do bar exam results come out first week of November or can it be anytime in November?

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:21 pm

np1211 wrote:Do bar exam results come out first week of November or can it be anytime in November?
According to the BLE, they typically release them the first week of November. They'll usually post an announcement with a "firm date" which is usually that first Friday. They'll typically release them a day early on Thursday though. So I would expect results on November 2. As the dates gets closer just follow Justice Willett on Twitter and he usually gives warning before results are posted online. Also depends, how you want to find out about results. . .

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Not sure if Justice Willett will be doing that anymore, as he's been appointed to the 5th Circuit.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:25 pm

[quote="leib10"]Not sure if Justice Willett will be doing that anymore, as he's been appointed to the 5th Circuit.[/quote]

Did he get appointed? I just thought he was recommended. If this is true, I hope he still has some insight into bar results, he always warned a couple of minutes before the results were released. I'm sure someone's still going to ask him and we'll find out then.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Estecontre wrote:
leib10 wrote:Not sure if Justice Willett will be doing that anymore, as he's been appointed to the 5th Circuit.
Did he get appointed? I just thought he was recommended. If this is true, I hope he still has some insight into bar results, he always warned a couple of minutes before the results were released. I'm sure someone's still going to ask him and we'll find out then.
Regardless, last year he tweeted a few hours before results were released. People were losing their minds.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:23 pm

If I only had the ability to take Federal Courts or Bankruptcy during my last semester, which would you recommend? I already have to teach myself Business Orgs 2 and oil/gas. TYIA.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:43 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:If I only had the ability to take Federal Courts or Bankruptcy during my last semester, which would you recommend? I already have to teach myself Business Orgs 2 and oil/gas. TYIA.
For the purpose of being better prepared for the Texas bar exam? Neither.

Secured Credit, Payment Systems, and Biz Orgs, or any MBE subjects you haven't covered are probably the best classes to take for that purpose (since you won't have access to Texas-oriented Wills/Estates, Family Law, and Consumer Law courses).

But one can learn those things during bar prep.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

kingkonglaw

New

Post by kingkonglaw » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:23 pm

Hey there, I know I most likely failed the July 2017 bar exam. Does anyone have any advice for the Texas Bar in regard to passing the essay section. :?

I feel comfortable with the multiple choice, I just choke whenever having to write under pressure. TYIA

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:35 pm

kingkonglaw wrote:Hey there, I know I most likely failed the July 2017 bar exam. Does anyone have any advice for the Texas Bar in regard to passing the essay section. :?

I feel comfortable with the multiple choice, I just choke whenever having to write under pressure. TYIA
How do you know you failed if you don't mind me asking?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:36 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:If I only had the ability to take Federal Courts or Bankruptcy during my last semester, which would you recommend? I already have to teach myself Business Orgs 2 and oil/gas. TYIA.
You should make this decision based on the practice area that you're going into. It's not going to make any difference for the bar exam.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
You should make this decision based on the practice area that you're going into. It's not going to make any difference for the bar exam.
I agree with this. Bankruptcy MIGHT come out on the bar exam, but its never a straight bankruptcy question, it's a crossover subject so it's mixed with another essay. Not too mention if you choose a bar prep company and they give you Texas material it should be loosely covered. Themis covers it, I can't speak for Kaplan or Barbri, but I wouldn't doubt it if they do.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Estecontre wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
I agree with this. Bankruptcy MIGHT come out on the bar exam, but its never a straight bankruptcy question, it's a crossover subject so it's mixed with another essay. Not too mention if you choose a bar prep company and they give you Texas material it should be loosely covered. Themis covers it, I can't speak for Kaplan or Barbri, but I wouldn't doubt it if they do.
[except that one time that it did - July 2016]
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:00 pm

BVest wrote:
Estecontre wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
Yup, that was the first time I took the bar too. Completely blindsided by that question, but it was also mixed in with a family law question was it not? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was about the stays and something else.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Estecontre wrote:
BVest wrote:
Estecontre wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
Yup, that was the first time I took the bar too. Completely blindsided by that question, but it was also mixed in with a family law question was it not? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was about the stays and something else.
It was blended with family law, but IIRC, it was part of each and every subpart of that question.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 pm

BVest wrote:

Secured Credit, Payment Systems, and Biz Orgs, or any MBE subjects you haven't covered are probably the best classes to take for that purpose (since you won't have access to Texas-oriented Wills/Estates, Family Law, and Consumer Law courses).

The below is a list I'm working off of. I've taken the checked classes (including all MBE courses not listed), signed up for the circled classes, the crossed out classes are either conflicting or not offered this coming spring. Fed courts is kind of used as a master class review of civpro here. I have to take either fed courts or bankruptcy. Which would you recommend?

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:51 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:
BVest wrote:

The below is a list I'm working off of. I've taken the checked classes (including all MBE courses not listed), signed up for the circled classes, the crossed out classes are either conflicting or not offered this coming spring. Fed courts is kind of used as a master class review of civpro here. I have to take either fed courts or bankruptcy. Which would you recommend?

If fed courts is kind of a master class review of civpro that would be more useful than a subject that might be tested once. You're going to see civpro on the MBE and some of it crosses with Texas civpro which you're going to see on the short answer.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:29 pm

I mean I guess it's ok that you're working from a list, but it doesn't really change the answer that you should pick based on your practice area. If you don't know you're practice area, then I'd say you should take Fed Courts. But not because of the bar.

If you're dead set on making this decision based on the bar, then you should also take Fed Courts.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:57 pm

+1 to taking Fed Courts. I should have taken it.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:51 pm

Pneumonia wrote:I mean I guess it's ok that you're working from a list, but it doesn't really change the answer that you should pick based on your practice area. If you don't know you're practice area, then I'd say you should take Fed Courts. But not because of the bar.

If you're dead set on making this decision based on the bar, then you should also take Fed Courts.
I'm not deadest on taking it just for the bar, I was really just hoping you guys could guide me, which you have. My Thanks. My intended field is criminal law. The job I have lined up is a mixed firm crim defense (40%) /family law (40%) /pi (10%).

However, I am required to take 4 courses off the bottom of that list (meaning in addition to crim pro, conlaw 2, and transitions)

I didn't realize the class was not 'just' debtor's rights bankruptcy.

The course descriptions "*BANKRUPTCY & CREDITOR'S RIGHTS The traditional creditor's remedies employed to enforce money judgments. The relative rights of debtors and creditors under the Federal Bankruptcy Code."

"*FEDERAL COURTS The principles of federalism and comity in the division of power between state and federal courts. Particular focus is paid to the kinds of jurisdiction granted to federal courts by Article III of the Constitution, Congress' control of the jurisdiction, justiciability, Eleventh Amendment sovereign immunity, abstention, the applicability of state and federal law to civil actions in federal court, Supreme Court review of state court judgments and an overview of Section 1983 litigation."

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:44 pm

If you're going to be doing crim and family law (by which I mean, you intend to focus your career on those, not just what your first firm does), don't take fed courts. Secured Transactions, Bankruptcy, and Domestic Relations would all be more useful to you.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Thanks again.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

boogerrr

New

Post by boogerrr » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:42 pm

Y’all I’m freaking tf out. I have a good job lined up, but I can’t even be excited about it because of how sure I am I failed.

TXBar2017

New

Post by TXBar2017 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:21 am

boogerrr wrote:Y’all I’m freaking tf out. I have a good job lined up, but I can’t even be excited about it because of how sure I am I failed.
In the same boat. Working already, but scared to make long term plans just in case I failed this thing.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:51 pm

boogerrr wrote:Y’all I’m freaking tf out. I have a good job lined up, but I can’t even be excited about it because of how sure I am I failed.
Unless you forgot to answer a couple of essay questions or mis-bubbled you have no idea if you passed or failed. What makes you so sure you failed?

randomguy89

New

Post by randomguy89 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:22 pm

I go back and forth between being sure I failed and feeling like there’s a good chance I passed. I was very unprepared.

I wrote 3-4 essays I felt were fairly strong, and I feel like I completely aced one of those, but just one. On 3-4 others large parts of my answers were comprised of BS, but parts were good. On the others I wrote very short answers with nothing but made up law (and my analyses were very basic and sloppy at that).

I feel fairly good about the MPT and not good, but not terrible, about the P&E.

I got a 139/200 on the Barbri midterm. On the actual exam, I didn’t just randomly guess on any of the MBE questions, not even one (as far as I remember). But I also didn’t know I was getting the right answer on more than probably 10 or so. If I passed I feel like the MBE will have saved me, so it’s certainly hard to feel confident when I’m so unsure of how I did on even that.

I am a nervous wreck.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”