July 2017 Texas Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
boogerrr

New

Re: July 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Post by boogerrr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:34 pm

Estecontre wrote:
boogerrr wrote:Y’all I’m freaking tf out. I have a good job lined up, but I can’t even be excited about it because of how sure I am I failed.
Unless you forgot to answer a couple of essay questions or mis-bubbled you have no idea if you passed or failed. What makes you so sure you failed?

I bs’d commercial paper and talked about holder in due course, completely bullshitted the child support question, and though I’m sure my trusts conclusions were right I basically made up the law for it. I got a part wrong for oil and gas and a part wrong for the BA one. Oh and I suck ass at multiple choice. I did over 2500 questions and for the vast majority of my practice sets I scored 58%. It wasn’t until the last two weeks that I got up to the 70s. :(

randomguy89

New

Post by randomguy89 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:13 pm

boogerrr wrote:
Estecontre wrote:
boogerrr wrote:Y’all I’m freaking tf out. I have a good job lined up, but I can’t even be excited about it because of how sure I am I failed.
Unless you forgot to answer a couple of essay questions or mis-bubbled you have no idea if you passed or failed. What makes you so sure you failed?

I bs’d commercial paper and talked about holder in due course, completely bullshitted the child support question, and though I’m sure my trusts conclusions were right I basically made up the law for it. I got a part wrong for oil and gas and a part wrong for the BA one. Oh and I suck ass at multiple choice. I did over 2500 questions and for the vast majority of my practice sets I scored 58%. It wasn’t until the last two weeks that I got up to the 70s. :(
You only had trouble with 5 essays. If it makes you feel better, I had major trouble with 7+.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:20 pm

boogerrr wrote:
Estecontre wrote:

That doesn't necessarily mean you failed. I had a huge post awhile ago after receiving my scores that you don't really need to do well on every essay in order to get the 135 needed for that section. I totally messed up the oil and gas one as well, but I knew the other part. I totally did not know the trusts essay, because I studied for guardianship. But I know I did well on at least 2-3...which is all you need as long as your other essays were okay.

boogerrr

New

Post by boogerrr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:32 pm

randomguy89 wrote:
boogerrr wrote:
Estecontre wrote:

You only had trouble with 5 essays. If it makes you feel better, I had major trouble with 7+.

But those are the only fuck ups I remember hahaha there very well could have been more..oh and I felt like I was guessing on at least half of the criminal P&E :( I hate this

boogerrr

New

Post by boogerrr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Estecontre wrote:
boogerrr wrote:
Estecontre wrote:

That doesn't necessarily mean you failed. I had a huge post awhile ago after receiving my scores that you don't really need to do well on every essay in order to get the 135 needed for that section. I totally messed up the oil and gas one as well, but I knew the other part. I totally did not know the trusts essay, because I studied for guardianship. But I know I did well on at least 2-3...which is all you need as long as your other essays were okay.

I read your post and tried to find comfort in it but I honestly feel like even my good essays are still going to put me at the median at best :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:47 pm

boogerrr wrote:
Estecontre wrote:
boogerrr wrote:
Estecontre wrote:

I read your post and tried to find comfort in it but I honestly feel like even my good essays are still going to put me at the median at best :(
Awww well sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only person who feels like that. I'm pretty much in the same boat, I feel like I'm going to barely fail again. Criminal P&E questions were so terrible I only knew a handful and I messed up a couple of Civil P&E. I mainly used Adaptibar for the MBE and I think I was able to get to 65% average and I did over a thousand questions. Essays are the only section I feel okay on.

randomguy89

New

Post by randomguy89 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 pm

boogerrr wrote:
randomguy89 wrote:
boogerrr wrote:
Estecontre wrote:

But those are the only fuck ups I remember hahaha there very well could have been more..oh and I felt like I was guessing on at least half of the criminal P&E :( I hate this

I’ve tried so hard to shut so much of it out of my head that I can’t remember a lot of the details at all anymore.

I messed commercial paper, the non-marital property family law, and the trusts one up horrifically. On those I wasn’t even talking about laws really related to the subjects even. I’m pretty sure I messed up the business associations one that had preemptive rights badly. I can’t remember how much else was on there that could’ve salvaged it.

I missed some things on the oil and gas one and at least one of the wills and estates ones (I don’t remember which issues were on which and don’t want to check the essays online). On the consumer law and secured transactions ones I wrote some relevant law, but they were disorganized and I am not sure if I was applying some of it correctly.

I knocked the landlord/tenant one out of the park as far as I know and think I did well on the marital property one and the other business associations one, and possibly one of the wills ones. But that’s just not enough without knocking the MBE out of the park. I am rightfully terrified. I was initially wrong, I had major trouble on 8+ essays.

Everyone felt bad about the criminal P&E. I guessed on probably 7 of the 20. I probably guessed on 2 of the civil P&E. I’m not worried about the P&E or MPT, I’m just concerned they weren’t good enough to make up for my disastrous essays, especially since they count for so little.

CAstudent2036

New

Post by CAstudent2036 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:28 pm

I know the BLE says November 3rd. Do they ever release early? Does anyone have historic data on when they said they would release and when they actually released?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:37 pm

CAstudent2036 wrote:I know the BLE says November 3rd. Do they ever release early? Does anyone have historic data on when they said they would release and when they actually released?
They almost always release a day early. Watch Willett's twitter feed for more info.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CAstudent2036

New

Post by CAstudent2036 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:55 pm

BVest wrote:
CAstudent2036 wrote:I know the BLE says November 3rd. Do they ever release early? Does anyone have historic data on when they said they would release and when they actually released?
They almost always release a day early. Watch Willett's twitter feed for more info.
Thanks this is helpful. Should be interesting to see if Willett says anything after being nominated to the 5th Circuit though. After tweeting every hour for three years he seems to have gone silent since September 28.

boogerrr

New

Post by boogerrr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:27 am

randomguy89 wrote:
boogerrr wrote:
randomguy89 wrote:
boogerrr wrote:
Estecontre wrote:

I’ve tried so hard to shut so much of it out of my head that I can’t remember a lot of the details at all anymore.

I messed commercial paper, the non-marital property family law, and the trusts one up horrifically. On those I wasn’t even talking about laws really related to the subjects even. I’m pretty sure I messed up the business associations one that had preemptive rights badly. I can’t remember how much else was on there that could’ve salvaged it.

I missed some things on the oil and gas one and at least one of the wills and estates ones (I don’t remember which issues were on which and don’t want to check the essays online). On the consumer law and secured transactions ones I wrote some relevant law, but they were disorganized and I am not sure if I was applying some of it correctly.

I knocked the landlord/tenant one out of the park as far as I know and think I did well on the marital property one and the other business associations one, and possibly one of the wills ones. But that’s just not enough without knocking the MBE out of the park. I am rightfully terrified. I was initially wrong, I had major trouble on 8+ essays.

Everyone felt bad about the criminal P&E. I guessed on probably 7 of the 20. I probably guessed on 2 of the civil P&E. I’m not worried about the P&E or MPT, I’m just concerned they weren’t good enough to make up for my disastrous essays, especially since they count for so little.
I’m sure you’ll get points out of the bs! That’s what I’m praying for for myself honestly. Hopefully we can pull through! I’ll definitely be praying for us and my grandma is lighting candles haha

P_S_Law

New

Post by P_S_Law » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:04 am

does anyone know in regards to character and fitness, do you have to separately apply for it or was it part of the application process while applying to take the bar?

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:06 am

P_S_Law wrote:does anyone know in regards to character and fitness, do you have to separately apply for it or was it part of the application process while applying to take the bar?
Its part of the application. If you haven't heard from them by now you're safe

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

P_S_Law

New

Post by P_S_Law » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:11 am

Estecontre wrote:
P_S_Law wrote:does anyone know in regards to character and fitness, do you have to separately apply for it or was it part of the application process while applying to take the bar?
Thank you! I have been going crazy checking the BLE website and not hearing anything from them lol

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:18 am

P_S_Law wrote:
Estecontre wrote:
Thank you! I have been going crazy checking the BLE website and not hearing anything from them lol
You're welcome! It's under the character and fitness section on their website "After completing its own investigation, the Board shall thereupon
determine whether, on all the documentation before it at this
stage, the Board is satisfied that the Declarant possesses the good
moral character and fitness necessary for admission to the Texas
Bar and shall advise the Declarant accordingly, no later than the
270th day after the date the Declaration and fees were filed with
the Board."

There's also this relevant section "After completing its investigation on the Application, the Board
shall determine whether, on all the documentation before it, the
Board is satisfied that the Applicant possesses the requisite
present good moral character and fitness. The Board must advise
an Applicant who timely filed a Declaration of the Board’s
determination no later than the 150th day after the date the
Application or Re-application and fees were filed. The Board
must advise all other Applicants of its determination no later than
270 days after the date that the Application and fees were filed. If
the determination is that the Applicant does not have the requisite
present good moral character and fitness, such notice shall
include:
(1) a detailed analysis of the results of the investigation; and
(2) an objective list of actions, if any, which the Applicant may
take to correct the deficiencies and become qualified for
admission to the bar after passing the bar examination."

TXBar2017

New

Post by TXBar2017 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:56 am

randomguy89 wrote:

I wouldn't fret too much about missing certain issues. Hell, even some of the selected answers had issues they got wrong. I had a friend of mine tell me that he only got an average MBE score and didn't even write anything for two essays and he still passed comfortably.

As for the child support and commercial paper questions, most people didn't know what the fuck was going on from what I gathered. And the fact that you feel good about the LL-Tenant is promising, as most people I talked to were baffled by most of that one as well.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:27 am

My brother is clerking at the Supreme Court of Texas, and they typically get the pass list before it's posted online. Should be able to see my fate earlier that way.

As for me, I didn't feel comfortable with the MBE at all, the Crim P&E came out of nowhere, and Commercial Paper and non-Marital Property FL were complete disasters (I made up basically everything on those essays). I also know I messed things up on the Corporations question, one of the Wills questions, and parts of the Trusts questions. I felt okay about the MPT and Civil P&E, and did really well on the Property essay and probably the Secured Transactions essay. Commercial Law wasn't too bad either. The rest I feel pretty lukewarm about.

Guess we'll see in a week and a half. :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:23 am

TXBar2017 wrote:
randomguy89 wrote:

I wouldn't fret too much about missing certain issues. Hell, even some of the selected answers had issues they got wrong. I had a friend of mine tell me that he only got an average MBE score and didn't even write anything for two essays and he still passed comfortably.

As for the child support and commercial paper questions, most people didn't know what the fuck was going on from what I gathered. And the fact that you feel good about the LL-Tenant is promising, as most people I talked to were baffled by most of that one as well.
Yeah, see this is why I tell people not to freak out about the essays. It's so difficult to know each essay, unless for some reason they ask easy questions. Commercial paper was a bitch and was not what I was expecting, so I tried to answer as best as possible. The Real Property was simple, but I had no idea what the rules are, I definitely knew the conclusions, but I blanked on what the actual rules were. Trusts surprised me so I know I did bad on that one, but other than that I felt fine. Secured Transactions seemed a little too simple in my mind (I hope I'm not being too confident and thinking I got it right, but it turns out I was wrong). The family law seemed pretty straight to the point and consumer law was pretty straighforward too (but my analysis and structure were horrible, but ohh well). The oil and gas was wrong, but I at least wrote something and made a decent argument. I guess back to my point, you don't need to be able to answer every essay super well, maybe one or two with a couple of more being average, some below average and you can fuck up one or two and still pass. Some people did well on the LL-Tenant one for example, but struggled with another essay.

kingkonglaw

New

Post by kingkonglaw » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Estecontre wrote:
kingkonglaw wrote:Hey there, I know I most likely failed the July 2017 bar exam. Does anyone have any advice for the Texas Bar in regard to passing the essay section. :?

I feel comfortable with the multiple choice, I just choke whenever having to write under pressure. TYIA
How do you know you failed if you don't mind me asking?
I ran out of time. Mostly on the essay portion.

np1211

New

Post by np1211 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:07 pm

How are the scores released in Texas? Do they send you an e-mail with a link or do they just list all the names of the people who have passed the bar exam?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:05 pm

np1211 wrote:How are the scores released in Texas? Do they send you an e-mail with a link or do they just list all the names of the people who have passed the bar exam?
First they just list all the names then I think there's an email, but I don't recall for sure (by then you've already logged on and seen your letter). Then there's a physical letter mailed to you.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

np1211

New

Post by np1211 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:27 pm

BVest wrote:
np1211 wrote:How are the scores released in Texas? Do they send you an e-mail with a link or do they just list all the names of the people who have passed the bar exam?
First they just list all the names then I think there's an email, but I don't recall for sure (by then you've already logged on and seen your letter). Then there's a physical letter mailed to you.
Thanks as always BVest :-)

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:40 am

np1211 wrote:
BVest wrote:
Thanks as always BVest :-)
There's an email sent to your registered email saying an item has been uploaded to your Atlas account. If you fail you get two emails...one saying you failed with your overall score and another with your grade breakdown. I'm not sure if you only get one if you pass though. Someone with more knowledge can chime in. But, yeah they post a pass list and send the email within a couple of minutes.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:41 pm

CAstudent2036 wrote:
BVest wrote:
Thanks this is helpful. Should be interesting to see if Willett says anything after being nominated to the 5th Circuit though. After tweeting every hour for three years he seems to have gone silent since September 28.
Bad news on this front. My inside source informs me that Justice Willett intends to maintain his social media hiatus and that any updates will come from BLE.

If I get any heads up, I’ll be sure to share.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:47 pm

BVest wrote:
CAstudent2036 wrote:
BVest wrote:
Bad news on this front. My inside source informs me that Justice Willett intends to maintain his social media hiatus and that any updates will come from BLE.

If I get any heads up, I’ll be sure to share.
No matter. His tweet was hours too early last year, throwing everyone into a fit of anger and frustration.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”