July 2017 Texas Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
TheJanitor6203

Silver

Re: July 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:14 pm

mendianne wrote:
BVest wrote:
mendianne wrote:If any one knows the answer to this question please feel free to respond. So I'm not 100% clear one the grading of the bar exam. I do know that each essay on the Texas exam has a score scale between 0 - 25. If I were to get a score between 12-15 on each of the 12 essays would I effectively be able to "pass" the exam section or get a passing grade on that section?
A) Don't worry about how it's graded at this point. Knowing how it's graded can inform your study strategy, but that boat has sailed. Today is better spent with light P/E review and preparing your stacks for what to take to the exam each day.

B) If you must, there is no required passing score for each section. Passing relies solely on total score. Here's scoring described in detail.

A. No need be to rude. I wanted to know for my own personal reason and my day today will be spent doing as I please.

B. Ive already looked at the scoring described in detail and I stated that it was unclear to me and was seeking clarity.

If you didn't want to answer my question directly and positively it was probably best you didn't respond to me at all. Thanks
:shock:

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Last edited by JazzOne on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:26 pm

I've got say, I've read BVest's post 3 times now and still can't find any rudeness. Just seems like solid advice from a guy that's been answering questions in this thread for months out of the goodness of his heart for no other reason than to help us. I get that today's a stressful day but biting his head off for answering your question in a way that didn't satisfy you was a real dick move.

Let's hope that completing 96% of Barbri, answering 829 MBE questions, and cumulating over 445 hours of studying in the past 8 weeks will be enough. If it's not, I seriously doubt I could pass this thing on a second try.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Come on guys, we've got enough grief to deal with over the next 3 days. No need to pile on.

Good luck tomorrow and God bless. We are gonna need it.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Question: Do you lose points for including wrong information in a P&E answer? For example, if the question asks what pleading should be filed [to dismiss the case] will you lose points if you say they should file both a no-evidence and traditional motion for summary judgment but really they should only file one or the other?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:33 pm

The NRG center seems massive and I haven't been there before. Will it be obvious tomorrow where to go? (Houston)

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Bronze

Post by AnonymousAlterEgoC » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:04 pm

Edit: issue resolved.

If anyone has any last minute issues with tickets or anything, try contacting (direct messaging) your ATLAS processor.

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm

BVest wrote:
mendianne wrote:
BVest wrote:
mendianne wrote:If any one knows the answer to this question please feel free to respond. So I'm not 100% clear one the grading of the bar exam. I do know that each essay on the Texas exam has a score scale between 0 - 25. If I were to get a score between 12-15 on each of the 12 essays would I effectively be able to "pass" the exam section or get a passing grade on that section?
A) Don't worry about how it's graded at this point. Knowing how it's graded can inform your study strategy, but that boat has sailed. Today is better spent with light P/E review and preparing your stacks for what to take to the exam each day.

B) If you must, there is no required passing score for each section. Passing relies solely on total score. Here's scoring described in detail.

A. No need be to rude. I wanted to know for my own personal reason and my day today will be spent doing as I please.

B. Ive already looked at the scoring described in detail and I stated that it was unclear to me and was seeking clarity.

If you didn't want to answer my question directly and positively it was probably best you didn't respond to me at all. Thanks
I was not trying to be rude. The truth is no one can really tell you. The scores will vary from question to question because the grader for a UCC question is not the same as the grader for a property question. Once the scorers assign a 0-25 to each question, those questions will be scaled against each other so that if, for example, the DTPA grader is more lenient than the Business Orgs grader, that will not be to the advantage of someone who writes a 90th percentile answer for DTPA over someone who writes a 90th percentile answer for Business Orgs. This internal scaling is called "conversion." Then all the converted scores are added together and that sum is then scaled to the MBE scale. So, the 0-25 scale does not determine what your essay score will be (and certainly not whether you would hit 135 for your essays), and actually is two degrees of separation removed from your final essay score. Further, assuming you pass, you will never know your essay score; you'll only get MBE and total score.
BVest,

You are a good person in providing that answer after the response you got after your first reply.

Nicely done,

Mike

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:53 pm

AnonymousAlterEgoC wrote:Edit: issue resolved.

If anyone has any last minute issues with tickets or anything, try contacting (direct messaging) your ATLAS processor.
Glad to hear it.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 pm

Leprechaun wrote:
BVest wrote:
mendianne wrote:
BVest wrote:

I was not trying to be rude. The truth is no one can really tell you. The scores will vary from question to question because the grader for a UCC question is not the same as the grader for a property question. Once the scorers assign a 0-25 to each question, those questions will be scaled against each other so that if, for example, the DTPA grader is more lenient than the Business Orgs grader, that will not be to the advantage of someone who writes a 90th percentile answer for DTPA over someone who writes a 90th percentile answer for Business Orgs. This internal scaling is called "conversion." Then all the converted scores are added together and that sum is then scaled to the MBE scale. So, the 0-25 scale does not determine what your essay score will be (and certainly not whether you would hit 135 for your essays), and actually is two degrees of separation removed from your final essay score. Further, assuming you pass, you will never know your essay score; you'll only get MBE and total score.
BVest,

You are a good person in providing that answer after the response you got after your first reply.

Nicely done,

Mike
No worries. I understand the stress.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:22 am

The admission ticket says Laptop on it, so we don't also have to bring the laptop application form, yes?

DueProcessDoWheelies

Bronze

Post by DueProcessDoWheelies » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:46 am

RumHam wrote:Solicitors, I have still not received my admission ticket for the July 2017 exam (i.e., starting on Tuesday !!!!).

I received confirmation that everything about my application looking good in ATLAS, and I've paid the fees, etc.....

Yet no admission tick.

Now it looks like their office is closed today, so I do not even know who to contact right to sort this out.

Needless to say, I'm hyperventilating.

Any thoughts/suggestions on what I should do!

... am I basically just f*****?

Thanks
I'm obviously late answering this but I was going to say you should show up at the exam site anyway and ask to speak with someone from the BLE and tell them your situation. It's clearly not your fault you didn't receive an admission ticket. I'd think they would be reasonable about it.

Hope everything was sorted out for you. Good luck on the exam.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:37 pm

What did everyone think of day one? Crim P&E was exactly what I expected but I thought the civ P&E was a little harder than I was expecting to be. All around about what I expected.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lumberjack00

New

Post by lumberjack00 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:47 pm

More reading on the MPT than expected and definitely messed up my timing organization on it, and I actually thought the Crim was much harder than expected (5-7 questions I hadn't seen). Civ was as expected, only 2 or so bad ones.

lovesthelaw

New

Post by lovesthelaw » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:59 pm

Grateful the MPT was what it was. Could have used about 10 more minutes though, but I made sure to at least conclude. I thought Civil P&E was really normal/expected, maybe 1-2 hard ones. Crim P&E was pretty odd. Felt like 5-6 of them were pretty tough.

np1211

New

Post by np1211 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:08 pm

MPT towards the end i found my self rushing through analysis and probably didn't even make any sense at that point but on the positive note i made sure to conclude. :D

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:47 pm

MPT wasn't bad, the Crim P&E sucked the big one. Lots of curveballs there. Civil was much more like past P&Es.

Now the fun begins.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:54 pm

I agree: at least 6 or 7 of those Crim P&Es were questions that I hadn't seen before--either by being entirely new or by being a new variation on an old theme. I thought Civil and MPT were straight down the middle though.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Forgive me, I know this answer is out there but in my brief search I can't find it. Can someone remind me what "passing" is for the MBE? I seem to remember it is approximately 60% scaled but my friend thinks it's 60% raw.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:47 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:Forgive me, I know this answer is out there but in my brief search I can't find it. Can someone remind me what "passing" is for the MBE? I seem to remember it is approximately 60% scaled but my friend thinks it's 60% raw.
60% scaled doesn't really mean anything. To be on pace for a 675 total, you need a 135 on each section. NCBEX has been silent about their score scaling for about 10 years now, but before they stopped talking about, a 135 scaled would be anywhere from 62 to 66%.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thrive

Bronze

Post by Thrive » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:36 pm

That moment when you realize that the barbri sim was easier than the real thing.

Bvest, make us feel better. How do we move on from that crap show.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DueProcessDoWheelies

Bronze

Post by DueProcessDoWheelies » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Thrive wrote:That moment when you realize that the barbri sim was easier than the real thing.

I took the exam in July 2015. Literally no one feels good after MBE day. It's always so demoralizing.

Just keep your chin up and get through tomorrow.

Thrive

Bronze

Post by Thrive » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:40 pm

DueProcessDoWheelies wrote:
Thrive wrote:That moment when you realize that the barbri sim was easier than the real thing.

I took the exam in July 2015. Literally no one feels good after MBE day. It's always so demoralizing.

Just keep your chin up and get through tomorrow.
Thanks. I know I was expecting that level of difficulty.

Slow Your Roll

New

Post by Slow Your Roll » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:48 pm

See ya'll in February.

shawktheworld

New

Post by shawktheworld » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:56 pm

Uh... That was a tad bit different than BarBri's questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”