July 2017 Texas Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
randomguy89

New

Re: July 2017 Texas Bar Exam

Post by randomguy89 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:38 pm

TexasRepeater wrote:Passed on my third try. Congrats to those who passed. If you failed, take a few weeks off, regroup and start again. Don't let this defeat you.
Congrats!

jennifer_42

New

Post by jennifer_42 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:49 pm

Estecontre wrote:OMG GOD!!! I had a friend text my co-worker to tell me to turn on my phone earlier than I expected....I PASSED!!!!!!! After three tries finally!!!!
Congratulations!

jennifer_42

New

Post by jennifer_42 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:54 pm

GarnetTheLawDiva wrote:WOW! I passed!!!! Congratulations everyone!
Congrats!

chpvtt

New

Post by chpvtt » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Congrats everyone who passed!! I passed as well on my 2nd try.

Literally choked on my tears while telling the news to my dad after the whole 10:45AM fiasco and the website crashing. Worst 20-30 minutes of my life waiting for the results.

jennifer_42

New

Post by jennifer_42 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:57 pm

chpvtt wrote:Congrats everyone who passed!! I passed as well on my 2nd try.

Literally choked on my tears while telling the news to my dad after the whole 10:45AM fiasco and the website crashing. Worst 20-30 minutes of my life waiting for the results.
Congratulations!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

randomguy89

New

Post by randomguy89 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:03 pm

I have a dumb question for anyone who knows - if we ARE going to the official swearing-in ceremony in Austin, can we still go ahead and register and pay our dues online as soon as it’s available?

chpvtt

New

Post by chpvtt » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:04 pm

randomguy89 wrote:I have a dumb question for anyone who knows - if we ARE going to the official swearing-in ceremony in Austin, can we still go ahead and register and pay our dues online as soon as it’s available?
Yes! I'm pretty sure those are two separate requirements.

TexasChris33

New

Post by TexasChris33 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:05 pm

For all the future bar takers who are lurking this thread.. I got a 81 on the simulated Barbri Exam and just scored a 140.7 on the actual scaled MBE. Don't get discouraged. I still barely passed, but hey barely passing is passing. Keep your head up to those who didn't get it this time.

randomguy89

New

Post by randomguy89 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:06 pm

chpvtt wrote:
randomguy89 wrote:I have a dumb question for anyone who knows - if we ARE going to the official swearing-in ceremony in Austin, can we still go ahead and register and pay our dues online as soon as it’s available?
Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jennifer_42

New

Post by jennifer_42 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:08 pm

randomguy89 wrote:
chpvtt wrote:
Thanks.

Handy stuff here: https://ble.texas.gov/faq

Look at the part called: Grade Release, Swearing-In, and Licensing

jts723

Bronze

Post by jts723 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:30 pm

Any idea when we'll be able to do the new attorney registration on the Texas Bar website? It looks like folks were able to do that the same day as results were released for the July 2016 exam.

Estecontre

Bronze

Post by Estecontre » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:53 pm

To everyone who replied to my post, thank you!! I'm so glad I was able to help you guys out in regards to the essays, it's actually what helped me pass!! I don't know my essay scores, but I got a 131.6 on the MBE, so just goes to show you that even with a below average MBE you can still pass. I suck at multiple choice and I actually thought the MBE would fail me, but it is what it is!

To those that did not pass, please do not get discouraged!! I've been there two times before. The first time I took the Texas bar, I scored an embarrassing 534, the second time I scored a 655 and this time I scored enough to just barely pass! I had to change my study habits and it ended working for me. If anyone needs any help or anything like that, please let me know I'll be more glad to help! A few more words for those that failed, I know it sucks now, but take this as a lesson and as a time to reflect where you went wrong and what you did right. Texas gives you a great breakdown of your scores and you need to use that to learn about yourself. You don't need to follow the bar prep's company schedule to a T; I took many days off and hardly followed the schedule. I'm sure if I would've studied just a bit harder I would've passed more comfortably, but honestly I don't care right now because it won't define me as an attorney. I got a score higher than the score needed and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

To those of us that passed, thanks so much for being along for the ride! We were anxious and it paid off today. Feels so good to see that congratulations letter

dtjustice

New

Post by dtjustice » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:15 pm

Soooooooo happy for everyone who passed. I have created the 2018 Texas Bar Exam study group on WhatsApp....if you'd like to join, please pm or text me with your first name and phone number so I can add you! I have started the next forum on here for next exam so be sure and move over there if you're going to take the exam again. I also will have a Quizlet group and I'm going to create a 2018 Texas Bar Exam Facebook page so there are many places you can get support and not have to go through this evil journey alone!

Debbie
Abilene
(325) 267-1160

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:36 pm

Well, it's been a wild ride. Glad that it's finally over. Congrats to all who passed, and for those who didn't keep your chin up!

vandyclark

New

Post by vandyclark » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Is the July exam easier? I know the numbers make it seem like it is, but they surely write the exams the same way? I’ve taken it 3 times- twice in Feb & this last July & I did significantly better (though my MBE was low- I never score well on that) with this July exam. Could be I was more prepared than I thought but... I’m nervous to take it in Feb again...

jts723

Bronze

Post by jts723 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:18 pm

jts723 wrote:Any idea when we'll be able to do the new attorney registration on the Texas Bar website? It looks like folks were able to do that the same day as results were released for the July 2016 exam.
New attorney registration is up.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:19 pm

The new attorney link worked for me. I got an email after paying that says “Congratulations, you are now a licensed attorney in good standing with the State Bar of Texas.”

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:20 pm

vandyclark wrote:Is the July exam easier? I know the numbers make it seem like it is, but they surely write the exams the same way? I’ve taken it 3 times- twice in Feb & this last July & I did significantly better (though my MBE was low- I never score well on that) with this July exam. Could be I was more prepared than I thought but... I’m nervous to take it in Feb again...
I don't think there is a difference in difficulty. The difference is that very few people take the bar exam in February except for those who previously failed. So, the pool of test takers in February consists of a larger proportion of people who struggle with standardized exams.

vandyclark

New

Post by vandyclark » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:05 pm

True- the arguments I have heard have to do with the larger volume of July test takers makes the curving of the tests (the “standardizing”) a little easier as opposed to the fewer students in February. I’m just wondering if that’s accurate. If so I’d rather save a wasted February exam, time, stress & money & try the July...

JazzOne wrote:
vandyclark wrote:Is the July exam easier? I know the numbers make it seem like it is, but they surely write the exams the same way? I’ve taken it 3 times- twice in Feb & this last July & I did significantly better (though my MBE was low- I never score well on that) with this July exam. Could be I was more prepared than I thought but... I’m nervous to take it in Feb again...
I don't think there is a difference in difficulty. The difference is that very few people take the bar exam in February except for those who previously failed. So, the pool of test takers in February consists of a larger proportion of people who struggle with standardized exams.

Ddtex

New

Post by Ddtex » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:31 pm

Try to take it in July. I failed in Feb and just passed by 70 points. Mbe 137 feb and 146 in July. I think if you focus on building the MBE section with real released questions and focus on Barbri essay answers you will pass. You can do this!

jc2dad

New

Post by jc2dad » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:59 pm

Thrilled that I passed. I got a 141 MBE and a 730 overall, so my day 1 and 3 must have pulled me up a bit. I will tell you I did not feel good about my chances at all. I was diagnosed with stage iv melanoma cancer 10 days before the bar and did not put in a lick of study those 10 days running back and forth to doctors, researching, etc. I put my Faith in God, spent time in prayer, and the three days of the exam, instead of wondering how much time I had left on this earth and how my 4 small children were going to cope, I was laser focused like never before. I have no doubt that it was anything less than divine intervention on my behalf.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:20 pm

jc2dad wrote:.
Congrats! As great as passing is, though, it's clearly not the most important thing in life. I truly hope you're doing well.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

bugsy33

Bronze

Post by bugsy33 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:09 am

Passed with a 792, 167 MBE Wow. Can't believe it's all over. It's been a crazy ride. Congrats to everyone who passed, and to those that didn't keep battling and study hard.
Last edited by bugsy33 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

jc2dad

New

Post by jc2dad » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:31 am

BVest wrote:
jc2dad wrote:.
Congrats! As great as passing is, though, it's clearly not the most important thing in life. I truly hope you're doing well.
Absolutely! I'm doing well. Back to MD Anderson next week for another round of scans and fine needle biopsy. Feels good to turn the page on a chapter.

leib10

Bronze

Post by leib10 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:36 am

jc2dad wrote:Thrilled that I passed. I got a 141 MBE and a 730 overall, so my day 1 and 3 must have pulled me up a bit. I will tell you I did not feel good about my chances at all. I was diagnosed with stage iv melanoma cancer 10 days before the bar and did not put in a lick of study those 10 days running back and forth to doctors, researching, etc. I put my Faith in God, spent time in prayer, and the three days of the exam, instead of wondering how much time I had left on this earth and how my 4 small children were going to cope, I was laser focused like never before. I have no doubt that it was anything less than divine intervention on my behalf.
I'll be praying for you. Keep the faith!

By the way, once you pay your license fee you will be on the Bar's website and you will have your license number! Cool!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”