Passed NY on my 4th attempt Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dontgiveupthefight17

New

Passed NY on my 4th attempt

Post by dontgiveupthefight17 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:03 am

Hi guys,

Thought I'd share some tips for those of you who recently found out you had failed the F17 NY bar exam.

July 2015: failed by a country mile, 117 MBE
February 2016: failed by 21pts, 130 MBE
July 2016: failed by 20pts, 135 MBE (scored woefully on the MEE and MPT)
February 2017: passed comfortably, 148 MBE

Here's what I did differently on my 4th attempt (started on 3rd Jan):

STUDIED SMART NOT HARD: I work full time (in a very demanding role) and gave myself mini targets each week. I'd do two hours revision between 6-8am on one topic and then do 1.5hrs/2hrs MBE questions on that same topic. Usually 10hrs over the weekend. I know too many people who studied full time and failed simply because they had burnt themselves out by game day!
Spent 80% of my time on MBE practice questions

MBE
Main sources: Adaptibar and Emanuel
DO A MIX OF QUESTIONS: I would suggest using the above sources in conjunction with Barbri, Themis or Kaplan as that's the approach some of my friends took who achieved 150+ MBE scores.
I did all the Adaptibar questions and was tracking around 76% by mid Feb.
Absolute minimum of 30 questions a day.

MEE
Main sources: Seperac and SmarBar prep
Trust me the above were life savers!
Even though I only looked at MEE questions one week before the exam (particularly frequently tested topics) - I would say maybe start 3/4 weeks before so you can go through at least 5-10 essays per topic.

MPT
Main source: Seperac
He provides great tips.
Have also heard the Barbri MPT book is also pretty good.

Having spent the best part of two years studying for the bar, I can tell you it is definitely a humbling experience!! For those who have failed a good few times, please please please do not give up. Ask yourself why stop now when you have come so far already. The journey (albeit a very long one in my case) is worth it when you finally receive the 'congratulations' email :D

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions or if you just want general advice or words of encouragement.

#dontgiveupthefight #whystopnow #remembertheendgoal
Last edited by dontgiveupthefight17 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

keepgoing2016

New

Re: Passed NY on my 4th attempt

Post by keepgoing2016 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:06 am

Congratulations on passing! I passed on my second attempt and it is a humbling process indeed!!!

Bimmerfan

New

Post by Bimmerfan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Wow. My 2nd attempt will be this July and I honestly would probably give up if I failed my 2nd and 3rd attempts.

Can you explain your study schedule in more detail? What do you mean by "revision?" (I also work FT.)

And 10hrs total for the weekend, or each day?

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:39 pm

Congratulations to you!!!!

dontgiveupthefight17

New

Post by dontgiveupthefight17 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Bimmerfan wrote:Wow. My 2nd attempt will be this July and I honestly would probably give up if I failed my 2nd and 3rd attempts.

Can you explain your study schedule in more detail? What do you mean by "revision?" (I also work FT.)

And 10hrs total for the weekend, or each day?
At the beginning I would spend 4-5 days solely on one topic. As an example:

Topic: EVIDENCE
Monday
AM: 1-2hrs reviewing outline/preparing notes on Presentation of Evidence
PM: 20-30 questions on the above area

Tuesday
AM: 1-2hrs reviewing outline/preparing notes on Relevance

Wednesday
AM: 1-2hrs reviewing outline/preparing notes on Privileges and other policy exemptions

Thursday
AM: 1-2hrs reviewing outline/preparing notes on Writings and Documentary Evidence

Friday
AM: 1-2hrs reviewing outline/preparing notes on Presentation of Hearsay

Once I have gone through every MBE topic, I would do a mix set of at least 40qs per day. And would also do an additional 10qs on my weaker areas each day.

I found it useful to keep a spreadsheet/bullet points of MBE rules for each topic (for example: 'remember when an attorney represents join clients no privilege can be invoked in a suit between the two parties')

10hrs in total over the weekend (most of which on Saturday and then Sunday was a semi-rest/recharge day)

Hope you find the above useful. Do let me know if you have any other questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dontgiveupthefight17

New

Post by dontgiveupthefight17 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:43 pm

cheaptilts wrote:Congratulations to you!!!!
Thank you :-)

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:02 pm

dontgiveupthefight17 wrote:Hi guys,

Thought I'd share some tips for those of you who recently found out you had failed the F17 NY bar exam.

STUDIED SMART NOT HARD: I work full time (in a very demanding role) and gave myself mini targets each week. I'd do two hours revision between 6-8am on one topic and then do 1.5hrs/2hrs MBE questions on that same topic. Usually 10hrs over the weekend. I know too many people who studied full time and failed simply because they had burnt themselves out by game day!

MBE
DO A MIX OF QUESTIONS: I would suggest using the above sources in conjunction with Barbri, Themis or Kaplan as that's the approach some of my friends took who achieved 150+ MBE scores.

MEE
Even though I only looked at MEE questions one week before the exam (particularly frequently tested topics) - I would say maybe start 3/4 weeks before so you can go through at least 5-10 essays per topic.

MPT
He provides great tips.

Having spent the best part of two years studying for the bar, I can tell you it is definitely a humbling experience!! For those who have failed a good few times, please please please do not give up. Ask yourself why stop now when you have come so far already. The journey (albeit a very long one in my case) is worth it when you finally receive the 'congratulations' email :D

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions or if you just want general advice or words of encouragement.

Congrats man! This is awesome. Thank you for sharing.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_cant_deal

New

Post by _cant_deal » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:23 pm

MBE

MEE

MPT
He provides great tips.

Thanks so much for sharing this. I just failed the TX F17 bar for the second time and I'm unsure if I want to try again. If I do decide to ever sit for the TX Bar again I will use AdaptiBar.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Amazing! You're braver than me- I gave myself one shot (and luckily passed) but I deff. couldnt go through that again. Wishing you the best success moving forward!! <3

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dontgiveupthefight17

New

Post by dontgiveupthefight17 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:00 am

cnk1220 wrote:Amazing! You're braver than me- I gave myself one shot (and luckily passed) but I deff. couldnt go through that again. Wishing you the best success moving forward!! <3
I would have never considered myself intrepid until now! haha

Thank you and Best wishes to you too!!

dontgiveupthefight17

New

Post by dontgiveupthefight17 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:04 am

_cant_deal wrote:

MBE

MEE

MPT
He provides great tips.

Thanks so much for sharing this. I just failed the TX F17 bar for the second time and I'm unsure if I want to try again. If I do decide to ever sit for the TX Bar again I will use AdaptiBar.
My pleasure. Please don't give up - pick yourself back up and go back and retake in July. Just think in 6/7 months from now you could be celebrating having passed on your third attempt or you could be wondering forever what could have been.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Tue May 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Congrats! Studying smart rather than only studying hard is a truth that once realized definitely gives a person a far greater chance of passing the exam.

Sean (Silverman Bar Prep)
http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

Kaycoleman90

New

Post by Kaycoleman90 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! When you say revision what do you mean? Does this mean going over the answers of you missed MBE questions?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

R_G

New

Post by R_G » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:17 am

congratulations! This past February bar exam will be my fourth time, I feel a lot better, but there are days where I doubt myself greatly. I don't know how the messaging works, would you mind messaging me, need some encouragement! Thank you.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:45 pm

Congratulations! NY is a tough bar and it speaks very well of you to remain motivated and not lose faith.

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:06 pm

I LOVE stories like this. I’ve had the same experience (except mine was 3 years of testing). I missed July by a few points, but it’s enough that this February’s results are the difference between paying $375 (NY) and $1000 (UBE xfer) for C & F.

One thing about NY, it’s financially easier to retake, and it has no limit - one dude passed on his 43rd try (not that I would recommend it :lol: ) Also, if you went to an ABA law school, $250/$350 is a lot better than the $600-1200 for other states. Also, some sites are cheaper (and easier) for finding accommodations - I chose Buffalo specifically for that reason. Do not let finances keep you from taking again.

Also, another thing in your favor - the UBE. Having taken the old NY exam, there are finally manageable standards to aim for. The pre-UBE exam had CPLR (just in case you think Civ Pro is bad), no no-fault divorce (try figuring out which fault applied AND the defenses), different definitions for criminal battery & assault, and different evidentiary standards & exceptions. You had to study for that ON TOP of your MBE stuff. The UBE is manageable. You can do this!

I did mostly the same thing as the OP, and it works If I can summarize:

1. Know the test
2. Know how much your gap is
3. Develop a plan to close the gap - AND ACT ON IT!

I’ll expand on #1. Studying smart helps. You only have a limited amount of time. There are going to be some subjects on the exam more than others. The design of the UBE guarantees that. It especially important when you’re crunched for time (started late, work, family, etc.). It’s not how much you do, but what you do that matters.

I’ll also expand on #3. An easier test doesn’t mean much unless you know what your strengths & weaknesses are and ameliorate accordingly. You can work on either but the most dramatic point gains come from fixing weaknesses. It wasn’t until I developed a plan then acted on it, that I could see myself passing.

Also, another thing on finances. There are many free resources out there - especially for the MPT & MEE. You can limit the money paid out to what works for you. I’m not saying to do it on the cheap, but the less money doled out = less stress. Stress is proven to psyche people to fail. Minimize it.

Taking the exam will be a memory, and you can move on. You can AND WILL do it!

OP, just a question. How is/was C & F? How long’s the wait? Congrats again :)

My $.02

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”