C&F Employment References from Current Biglaw Firm for Additional Bar Application Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
DENAustin

New

C&F Employment References from Current Biglaw Firm for Additional Bar Application

Post by DENAustin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:42 pm

Anyone take a second bar (without any benefit to your present firm) while a Biglaw junior associate? How did you handle the C&F current employer reference? Who did you select? What narrative did you use to explain/justify the second bar (aside from the honest reply of "want to facilitate an eventual lateral move" — which clearly would never say publicly)? Did your firm reference even bat an eye at the request?

Am a junior associate at a large firm about to register for the July UBE in a secondary market to (1) gain a portable UBE score and (2) grease the wheels for an eventual lateral move from my present big market (think CA/IL) to a UBE secondary market. I have to list my present employer and supervisor as part of C&F (who likely will get pinged with a short Q&A), and am worried about the optics of my sitting for an exam elsewhere. There's no benefit to the firm from this second admission — it would be clearly for my personal benefit. I've only been an average Associate thus far, so don't want to appear flakey or a flight risk to the listed partner/firm while I'm here — though at the same time, think laying the ground work for a lateral exit by taking the exam is prudent.

Would appreciate the experience of those who've pursued this in the past.

spartan4life

New

Re: C&F Employment References from Current Biglaw Firm for Additional Bar Application

Post by spartan4life » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:49 am

I'm not in your position but if I were, I would NOT say anything to my current employer. I would save my vacation hours and use those hours to take a long vacation to study for and take the test in the state you plan on making the lateral move to. Once I find out if I passed is when I would let them know.

In regards to the C&F, I wouldn't apply for it until I know I passed the bar in the state I plan on moving to. That way the state bar does not immediately contact your current employer and give your current employer a motive to fire you. CA's C&F can be done after taking the bar. I'm not sure if other states are the same, but that's what I would do.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: C&F Employment References from Current Biglaw Firm for Additional Bar Application

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:51 am

Some states definitely require you to submit C&F stuff before taking the exam.

spartan4life

New

Post by spartan4life » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:01 am

You could also take the bar in a UBE state that does NOT require the C&F up front. However, BEFORE doing so, ask the state bar you want to move to if they'll accept your UBE score from the other UBE state.

If your desired state does, then take the bar in a UBE state that doesn't require the C&F up front, pass in that state, and transfer your UBE score to your desired state.

Just a poor man's 2 cents waiting on my CA bar results.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:41 am

Do you really think your firm will care? I don't know why they would.

DENAustin

New

Post by DENAustin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:51 am

It's complicated a bit because the UBE is purely a preemptive planning measure (would want to hold on at my current firm as long as I can -- I'm still only a first-year). I'm taking the UBE so that if I get poor reviews or am pushed out in the next 12-24-36 months, all my ducks are in a row for a broad lateral search. If I see the writing on the wall, want to break-up with them before they break-up with me.

In a vacuum, I don't think the partner/group would care. But I've had some other bumps my first year (not particularly busy, first-year learning errors, had to take a some time off), so am worried this would further compound a mediocre first impression (that I'm trying to turn around).

I've thought about listing an HR rep with whom I'm close (in place of a group partner). I also could list a senior associate in another group with whom I'm close (but with whom I don't work), though not sure if that's in the spirit of the reference (and thus, perhaps not ethical). Aware these alternatives aren't ideal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”